PDA

View Full Version : Music Umbrella

Stephen Coates
23rd July 2007, 19:33
Does anyone know how Rihanna's song 'Umbrella' managed to get to number 1 AND stay there for so long?

Also, it is a bit of a coincidence how we have had so much rain at the same time as this song being at number 1.

AlexJ
23rd July 2007, 23:16
It really says it all about the state of the music industry at the moment. Record exec: "Less people are buying CD's - it must be because people are downloading."

Erm, no actually it's because the most popular thing released at the moment is this moronic pile of shite. What makes people buy it 10 weeks after the record is released, and has been played nonstop on radio and on the music channels? Then again listening to the song, it all kinda makes sense.

J T
23rd July 2007, 23:19
She has got quite a nice ass, though :smokin:

Harrison
24th July 2007, 01:20
True... but you don't have to be listening to her singing to look at her ass!

The singles charts are complete rubbish these days, and the kids of today don't seem to even realise! And I'm not sure where it all went wrong, but when I was young we explored music, listening to a lot of stuff from the past as well as the present. They don't seem to do that these days. I was amazed that some people I was talking to in their early 20's didn't even know who the Rolling Stones and Led Zep were! :o

Stephen Coates
24th July 2007, 09:18
There is quite a lot of stuff in the charts that isn't very good.

And the Hit40UK programme is even worse. Why my local radio station (RotherFM) have to broadcast it I have no idea. RotherFM is a great radio station and Hit40UK makes sunday afternoons really bad. Even if RotherFM didn't have it and I wanted to listen to it, I could always switch to one of HallamFM's three frequencies, or one of numerous other stations in the area.

Although I don't remember being a big fan of the programme back when it was Smash Hits chart or even when it was the Pepsi Chart. Although the fact that you can't listen to it for 10 minutes without MySpace being mentioned does make it worse.

Harrison
24th July 2007, 12:19
I don't know what is worse. MySpace or FaceBook! The later seems to suddenly be the fad site all the noobz are flocking too, raving that it is the best thing since the dawn of time. Personally I still don't see what the fuss is about. It's basically just a member profile page and no actual content. Quite useless in my view.

J T
24th July 2007, 20:48
I was amazed that some people I was talking to in their early 20's didn't even know who the Rolling Stones and Led Zep were! :o

:eek2:

I could cry right now.... truly shocking.

As for facebook, people keep cajoling me, trying to get me to sign up. So far I have resisted, but fear that before much longer I'll be posting stupid pictures of myself on there :whistle:

TiredOfLife
24th July 2007, 23:02
Resist man, fight the real axis of evil.
Myspace, Facebook and Friends Reunited.
If they were really your friends, you would still be in touch.
Face it, you hated it each other in school.
Take off the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia and see the light.

Stephen Coates
25th July 2007, 08:42
I don't know what is worse. MySpace or FaceBook! The later seems to suddenly be the fad site all the noobz are flocking too, raving that it is the best thing since the dawn of time. Personally I still don't see what the fuss is about. It's basically just a member profile page and no actual content. Quite useless in my view.

I think social networking sites can be good when they are used properly.

I had a MySpace profile, until I deleted it a few weeks ago because I didn't use it.

There was only one other person who I used it for 'proper' communications with, and also have his AIM name, email address and his user name on Amiga.org so it didn't really matter.

Apart from a few nice people who I know from IRC, the only people that I really spoke to on MySpace were idiots from school who sent me messages saying that I'm a twat.

Anyway, I am now pleased to be able to say that I don't have a profile on any social networking sites. And I've no idea how much better FaceBook is than MySpace, or why people would leave MySpace just to use FaceBook.

Harrison
25th July 2007, 13:47
The biggest difference is that people can be much lazier on Facebook. On Myspace you need to do some work to make your page truely horrible to look at with hard to read text and backgrounds that could blind you in seconds! With Facebook it uses applets you can just add into your facebook page, so you can fill it up with as much useless junk as you like with minimal effort.

v85rawdeal
25th July 2007, 13:53
So, what you are basically saying, is that MySpace is for truly dedicated fad-fans...

My problem is I am so dedicated to all my fads, I don't have enough time to dedicate a web-page to them :hmmm: Does that mean I am not actually THAT dedicated???

Harrison
25th July 2007, 14:12
I suppose the one good thing about myspace is that at least now the general public with no design or html coding skills can stick up a horrid page alongside all of the others in one central location, instead of us having to randomly be assulted by badly made fan sites via searching the internet.

J T
25th July 2007, 15:39
Apart from a few nice people who I know from IRC, the only people that I really spoke to on MySpace were idiots from school who sent me messages saying that I'm a twat.

Seems a little harsh to me, those jerks should've just left you alone (unless you started it).

Harrison
25th July 2007, 16:14
Sounds like a mild case of the MySpace school bullying that was reported in the news recently.

Stephen Coates
25th July 2007, 20:22
They're just the same on MSN.

I don't class it as bullying though. They were more just annoying me. e.g. I can hardly report someone for bullying me at school just because they walked past me and called me a twat.

Even if they were doing this 'cyber-bullying' to me, or anyone else for that matter, the best way to stop it is to stop using the service. If you don't have a MySpace profile or an MSN address, they can't bully you with it.

On MSN, as soon as I blocked all the people that were being silly, they stopped. In fact, I have been even less annoyed by MSN since I stopped using it regulaly.

Harrison
25th July 2007, 23:58
But that also means that in a way they have won. You were obviously using the online services for something, no matter how small, and their act of bullying you made you decide to stop using these services completely, so in a way they did get to you by forcing you to abandon these social networking services.

BTW, did anyone else see Facebook in the news today? Apparently two brothers and now claiming it was their idea while at university and another guy they went to school with used their idea to create Facebook. The legal system in the US isn't sure there is much ground to bring proceedings though as there is no evidence.

Stephen Coates
27th July 2007, 08:51
But that also means that in a way they have won. You were obviously using the online services for something, no matter how small, and their act of bullying you made you decide to stop using these services completely, so in a way they did get to you by forcing you to abandon these social networking services.

Was't really a problem for me because I didn't really use them anyway, but I suppose if I did, I could have always made another profile and kept it hidden from everyone who I didn't want to see it.

I have heard about FaceBook in the news, but havn't watched much about it.

Harrison
27th July 2007, 09:29
But that is my point. If you had been using it a lot and their negative activities towards you forced you to have to delete your account and create another would mean their bullying had got to you and force you to take such drastic action.