PDA

View Full Version : Do you play games one at a time, or ...

Sharingan
22nd July 2007, 09:24
... are you the kind of player that plays a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and has dozens of half-finished games lying about?

I admit that in the past, I used to be more the former kind of player. When I started a game, I wanted to focus on that one, and finish it before starting with a new one. Nowadays, I don't have that kind of focus anymore. I pick up a game, play it for an hour or two, get bored with it, play another game for a bit, repeat x20. I dare say that of the games I've purchased over the past 4 years, I've perhaps finished 1 out of 15 on average, if not less. The amount of stuff 'I still need to get back to some day' is staggering. The only titles that I tend to stick to from start to finish are RPGs.

So what kind of player are you?

Puni/Void
22nd July 2007, 10:29
I usually focus on about two-three games at the time. When I buy a game, I usually give the purchase a lot of thought, so that I don't end up with a title I didn't really want. Nowadays I'm quite sure on what kind of games I like as well, so when I get something, I tend to play it for a long time. My favourites genres are RPG and RTS, so I mostly go for those kinds of games. I also like adventure games a lot, but haven't found much I liked that was released after Monkey Island 3. :D

In the past I tended to flick through games quite fast, due to mailtrading. Always got some fresh stuff that had to be tried out, and it wasn't really time to spend that much time on each title. ;)

My last purchase for example was Command & Conquer: Tiberium Wars. Have finished the NOD and GDI campaigns, which unlocked the one about Scrin. I'm currently trying to finish that one now. I also play the game Online, which is a blast. EA has improved the multiplayer since Generals was released. Another game I'm playing right now is Monkey Island 3. :)

Teho
22nd July 2007, 10:59
I'm a little bit of both. I have a lot of unfinished games lying about, but I tend to stick to playing one or sometimes two games at once. I do usually get fed up with many before I finish them, and then start something new thinking I'll come back to the one I was playing later. But I rarely do, so those usually remain unfinished.

Right now is one of those occasions where I've playing two games; I'm playing Dungeon Siege 2 on the PC right now which I'm on the very last parts of. At the same time I got The Darkness for the PS3 on friday, and am a couple of hours into that as well.

And I also play a round of Super Stardust HD every now and then, but that's the kind of game Stardust is. Not something you sit down and play for days, but rather something you fire up for a quick fix.

Submeg
22nd July 2007, 21:51
I also have a few games left sitting there....but I only ever play one or two games at a time. Currently playing Soul Calibur III and Transformers

Sharingan
23rd July 2007, 06:34
I'm currently TRYING to stick to playing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (I know, it's been out for ages, but I didn't buy it until I saw it in the bargain bin last week: all three PS2 PoP games for 30 quid ... not bad). So far, I find it an engrossing game - the first time in ages I've actually had trouble putting down the controller. There's even an unlockable version of the original (2D) Prince of Persia in there ... good stuff!

As for unfinished games: if I were to make a list, it would span pages. Just to name a few that I really SHOULD have finished, but didn't:

Any of the Monkey Island games AFTER part 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
Jak 2 and 3
Soulcalibur III
Devil May Cry 3
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams + Onimusha 3
Silent Hill 3 and 4
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Breath of Fire 5
Metal Gear Solid 3

Anyone has a year or two of free time they want to donate to me?

Submeg
23rd July 2007, 12:15
Yea Prince of Persia is nice! I still havent finished it :(

Harrison
23rd July 2007, 15:49
I tend to play test all games I get for a couple of hours, and then when one grabs me I focus on that and play it until completion. Using chipped systems this becomes common place (DC will back me up on that one) as you tend to download most releases, test them, file them away, and leave out the best to play properly.

Also if I find a game while testing that is exceptional then I will buy it instead of just running a downloaded version. Especially if the game has online elements. Having the box and manual for the good games is also nice.

At the moment I'm actually playing some older games. Grand Prix 4 on the PC and some RPGs on the PSP. I also still have some RPGs on the PS2 that I am partway through that I need to complete, including FFXII.

AlexJ
23rd July 2007, 23:37
Grand Prix 4 on the PC

Great game. Have you downloaded the new 2007 carsets and stuff?

Harrison
24th July 2007, 01:23
Yeah I have, and that was actually the main reason I reinstalled it so I can try the new stuff out. Definitely still a great game, and now that PCs are more powerful it can be played in all of its glory at high resolution.

Demon Cleaner
24th July 2007, 05:00
Yeah, same here as Sharingan and most people. I have a lot of games, mostly for the PS2, and RPGs for all other systems as XBox, Dreamcast and GC. I only test my games for 30-60 minutes, and test the next one.

Only games I play until completion are RPGs, but I also have still so much RPGs to play, that I don't know which one to begin with.

And recently I also finished God of War, and will play the sequel next as it's an awesome game.

Sharingan
25th July 2007, 18:40
It's almost blasphemous, but I haven't completed God of War EITHER. I think I'm at the desert part where I need to find the three sirens.

Heard good things about GoW2, but I'll just have to wait a while before getting that one.