PDA

View Full Version : Useless Amiga-related factoid No.1

v85rawdeal
19th July 2007, 20:18
The fattest sumo wrestler ever, Konishiki (alias The Dump Truck), weighed 556lb. That's about 39 stone (or 74 Amigas.)

Does anybody else know any useless Amiga-related factoids???

Sharingan
20th July 2007, 19:56
Did you know the Amiga CD32 was actually advertised in the United States?

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8170/cd32ad2pu9.jpg

If that isn't going to convince you to buy one, I don't know what is :)

Submeg
20th July 2007, 23:17
Wow that is one crazy ad!

Harrison
21st July 2007, 01:25
And I thought the UK CD32 advertising was bad! Have you all seen the UK CD32 TV advert?

Sharingan
21st July 2007, 07:50
Don't think I have ... it's bound to be hilarious though :)

Harrison
21st July 2007, 11:09
I will see if I have it when I get chance and upload it so you can take a look.

Blue Jedi
21st July 2007, 12:15
Here is the link to the UK Amiga CD32 advert i think it was Awsome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMd5lMV4uFI

The advert was very exspensive in fact it was one of the most exspensive Games adverts ever made.

It starts were a proffesor working for Amiga takes the Amiga rep to his secret Amiga inventing room to show the Amiga rep the new Amiga CD32 console that he has been working on.

He explains all the Amiag CD32 capabilities and then the Professor presses some buttons on his computer and a door opens on the floor and a very advance robot rises from the door. The Proffessor begins testing the the Amiga CD32 on the advanced robot. The robot starts playing the games and then the advert starts stating facts about the Amiiga CD32, cool graphics, 32 thousand colours the professor tries to stop the advanced robot playing the Amiga CD32 then advanced robot blows up.

Submeg
21st July 2007, 12:32
Cool.....and welcome to the forum Blue Jedi....first post I see! :)

Sharingan
21st July 2007, 13:54
They certainly don't make ads like that anymore ... cheesy, but awesome.

Welcome to the forum Blue Jedi :)

Puni/Void
21st July 2007, 14:08
:welcome: to the forum, Blue Jedi! Hope you'll enjoy the stay. :)

I don't think that advert was particularly good in general, as they showed too little of CD32's gaming capabilities. I understand however that they put as much light as possible on the fact that it was the first 32bit console in the world, but they could have had some more space for showing off some of the cool games available.

Anyway, being an Amiga commercial, I enjoyed watching it. ;)

J T
21st July 2007, 16:31
Did you know the Amiga CD32 was actually advertised in the United States?

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8170/cd32ad2pu9.jpg

If that isn't going to convince you to buy one, I don't know what is :)

I know it's easy to laugh at old technology when judged by today's standards but "DOUBLE SPEED CD - SCREAMS" cracks me up (like when someone told me their 1.2 litre automatic Corsa was 'pretty quick').

Also "The game system that conquered Europe"....... Surely that's a foul, ref?

Blue Jedi
21st July 2007, 22:54
Thanks for noticing this was my first post, I hope it was helpfull I will post in the new user section to let everyone know more about me and who I am.

Just as a bit of a taster I have every single issue of every Amiga 600 magazine from the past and I have every single issue of every 3DO Magazine and demo disks right up to its last issue. And and I have many other magazines for other consoles from the past. I also still have my GamesMaster Annual. I have patrick moores autograph because i watche Sky at Night and wrote to him, I also have lots of other consoles and games such as my Mega CD and Night Trap other games, I also have every single 3DO game Including Night Trap and a Panasonic 3DO FZ10.

v85rawdeal
21st July 2007, 23:15
Well, may I welcome you to the forum, home to all things Amiga, and many things Monkey...

Hope you enjoy the stay, and that you benefit greatly from the wisdom of all things Amiga. We are a friendly bunch, and none of us bite...

...well, not hard!!!

Submeg
21st July 2007, 23:22
Woa, cool the 3D0 is an interesting machine alright. I would assume you would have Dragon's Lair and Space Ace yes? :)

Blue Jedi
21st July 2007, 23:31
Thank you v85realdeal I am a Amiga 600 fan and have been since the Amiga600 was relased My favourite Amiga 600 games are Monkey Island 2, Hook,Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Fascination, Legend of Kyrianda and many more I still play Monkey Island 2and enjoy completing it over and over again.

How do i play the Amiga games in the Amiga games and demos archive or are they not playable.

Thanks Submeg I have dragons lair and space ace I have all the 3DO games and Demos the 3DO is a awsome console and I still play it now.

Harrison
23rd July 2007, 16:42
There are no actual games in the games section of our site. It is a reference directory of all games released for the Amiga. But in the demo section there are links to most of the actual demo files on each of the pages, so you can download the demos and run them.

For the demos, most will be in LHA format. To run these on a real Amiga just get the lha archive onto your Amiga, unlha it to a folder and then run it. Instructions on how to run most is usually found in a text file included with the demo files. If not then it is normally quite obvious. If you find one of the files is a .exe file then just run this on the Amiga and it should launch the demo. Hope that helps.

As for games, if you want to know where to find Amiga games for download then plase ask in the file requests forum on here and we can help you out.

And welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

Blue Jedi
23rd July 2007, 16:47
Ok i will ask them i was trying to download the full amiga games in the amiga section on this site because some games say they have hard drive download i will ask the others how to do it because i would rather download the full game instead of a demo if there is only demos then ill just play them instead.

Harrison
23rd July 2007, 16:55
Oh, they are not demos of games. Our demo section is about the Amiga Demo Scene, and the downloads are of demoscene productions. Quite different to games.

We don't offer games for download on the site itself because most are still under copyright and therefore illegal to supply for download from the site itself. I have however sent you a PM which might be useful for you.

Puni/Void
23rd July 2007, 19:27
Harrison wrote:

For the demos, most will be in LHA format. To run these on a real Amiga just get the lha archive onto your Amiga, unlha it to a folder and then run it. Instructions on how to run most is usually found in a text file included with the demo files. If not then it is normally quite obvious. If you find one of the files is a .exe file then just run this on the Amiga and it should launch the demo. Hope that helps.

Like Harrison writes, it should be quite straightforward running the .lha packed demos. I just wanted to mention that quite a lot of the demos also comes as .dms files. This means that they are similar to disk images like .adf. WinUAE supports .dms now, so you can use these files just as you use .adf's. For most of the demos released after 1994, you'll have to get to grips with .lha though. If you have trouble unpacking and getting them to run, you can post in the demo section of the forum, and we'll help you out. There is a troubleshooting section there for such purposes. :)

If you haven't watched demos before, then I would recommend that you have a look at some of them. You'll find a find selection at our main site, www.classicamiga.com.

Blue Jedi
23rd July 2007, 21:09
Thank you ill try them out on my WinUAE amiga emulator.

v85rawdeal
7th September 2007, 15:22
The Amiga was used to drive the 40-foot "Jumbotron" display (a 90 x 160 light bulb matrix) at Miami Stadium for the 1989 Superbowl.

FOL
8th September 2007, 22:04
Here is the link to the UK Amiga CD32 advert i think it was Awsome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMd5lMV4uFI

The advert was very exspensive in fact it was one of the most exspensive Games adverts ever made.

It starts were a proffesor working for Amiga takes the Amiga rep to his secret Amiga inventing room to show the Amiga rep the new Amiga CD32 console that he has been working on.

He explains all the Amiag CD32 capabilities and then the Professor presses some buttons on his computer and a door opens on the floor and a very advance robot rises from the door. The Proffessor begins testing the the Amiga CD32 on the advanced robot. The robot starts playing the games and then the advert starts stating facts about the Amiiga CD32, cool graphics, 32 thousand colours the professor tries to stop the advanced robot playing the Amiga CD32 then advanced robot blows up.

Im with blue jedi on this 1, the ad was very cool.

Harrison
10th September 2007, 12:47
Watching it now, it seems better than I remembered it. I still don't think it was a great advert thought. I didn't really show much of the CD32 or what it could do, and I think the big brained cyborg playing the game was a bit cheesy.

As for it being the most expensive gaming advert ever made. Hardly. I can't see it would have cost that much at all. Couple of TV actors, some flashing buttons and lights, dry ice and a robot/cyborg suit.

Demon Cleaner
10th September 2007, 12:58
The advert is not bad, but the cyborg is indeed a bit out of place.