PDA

View Full Version : Movies The Grudge 2

Harrison
18th July 2007, 02:11
I missed The Grudge 2 when it was at the cinema so downloaded it recently. I couldn't sleep so decided to watch it tonight and I highly recommend you don't watch it at 2am with the lights out as it definitely doesn't make you want to go to sleep again after! :lol:

What did everyone else think of this film? I know The Grudge is a remake of a Japanese original, but I thought it was handled really well, probably due to the original director being brought on board to direct the remake, and I think the sequel holds true to the series and maintains the level of unease and disturbing sequences, although not in the number or intensity of the first. It does at least realise the intent of the director by adding more mystery and questions compared to the first.

The third is also currently in pre-production and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story continues.

Demon Cleaner
18th July 2007, 12:42
I only saw the Japanese versions, called Ju-on. I like both of them, the Japanese even have 4 movies.

- Ju-on: The Curse
- Ju-on: The Curse 2
- Ju-on: The Grudge
- Ju-on: The Grudge 2

The Grudge are simply remakes of The Curse movies, I mean the Japanese movies. The American movies are remakes of The Grudge. The Grudge 3 (Japanese) will be released in 2008.

Harrison
18th July 2007, 20:30
They are not actually direct remakes of the original Japanese versions. The same director directed the western remakes and rewrote them, using the same story as a basis, but for the first film updating and altering aspects of it, and apparently Grudge 2 doesn't follow the same story as the original Ju-on: The Grudge 2 or any of the mini episodes that followed.

Also the western Grudge 3, being made by Sony and again involving the same director, isn't following the same Ju-on story lines either.

I've not seen the original Ju-on films but want to as it will be interesting to see how they do differ.

Demon Cleaner
18th July 2007, 23:18
So you think I might give the US releases a try, if they are different?

Harrison
19th July 2007, 00:37
I'm only going on information I've read online as I've not seen the original Japanese versions, but if this information is correct then they should be different enough to interest you.

It would also be interesting to know what you think of the American remakes. How good you think they are compared to the originals and if you think they captured the ideas and emotions intended.

I'm going to try the Ju-on originals to see how they differ. Will be interesting to see if our views on the two are the same.