PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Price Drop

Teho
13th July 2007, 21:20
There were rumours that a PS3 price drop for europe would be announced at E3. As you may have heard, in the US the 60GB model's price was lowered by $100 a week or two ago. In addition, a new 80GB model has been announced. Not sure when or if that one comes to europe. But if you ask me this is pointless, there's little difference between 60 or 80GB. You're going to want to replace it anyway. I allready replaced mine with a 200GB one.

Sadly, at E3 Sony announced that the european price stays where it is. However, there is a new starter pack released which has an additional controller and two games bundled. This pack will cost the same as the old one did. It is to be released immediately, and I hear several stores allready have it in. And those aren't crap titles they're bundling either, apparently you have a choice of several including Resistance, Motorstorm, Genji 2 and Ridge Racer.

And if you don't like that, I guess there's a good chance that retailers will be selling their remaining stock of the original packs at a reduced price, though that hasn't been announced.

So, anyone getting aboard yet? There is still that little detail of there not being very many games worth getting for it yet, I admit. But there are several great-looking ones on their way now, and that new starter pack looks like a good deal to me.

Harrison
13th July 2007, 23:06
I heard on the news today about some legal issues regarding Sony reducing the price in the US and not Europe. It seems if they can reduce it by that much in one region that they might now have to answer for reasons why they haven't done the same in other regions.

I'm still not getting one yet. Big car service and mot bill this month :( So will have to wait until the autumn at the earliest now.

Sharingan
13th July 2007, 23:39
There are a couple of titles I'm interested in playing already, those being Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Virtua Fighter 5, Resistance: Fall of Man and Virtua Tennis 3, so if they can offer the console at 100 bucks less, I might just hop on board the Sony train once again. I'd still need to get me a good quality HDTV to go with the PS3, but that's been on the wishlist for a while anyway :)

Submeg
14th July 2007, 05:51
:thumbsdown2: Still too expensive

Demon Cleaner
15th July 2007, 15:33
Still too early (expensive? A house and a car are expensive, but not a console).

Submeg
15th July 2007, 15:36
Dude, my source of income is working 14 hrs a week...I have to pay for overpriced, overtaxed petrol first :p Im saving for turntables and such anyway :thumbs:

AlexJ
15th July 2007, 16:29
Still too early (expensive? A house and a car are expensive, but not a console).

The PS3 is expensive. It's all relative, the PS3 is expensive when compared to other consoles, and when following past trends, the price will drop. On the other hand it's possible to get a good deal on a car that means it isn't that expensive (for a car).

Demon Cleaner
15th July 2007, 17:42
I understand what you mean, but I have a different approach.

Teho
15th July 2007, 22:10
Whether the PS3 is expensive or not depends entirely on what you want from it. For example, I very much wanted a Blu-ray player. Not enough to buy a stand-alone one at the price they were at (or still is at), but getting a next-gen console and a player together for less than what the stand-alone players cost at the time? I didn't find it expensive at all. Add that a recent firmware upgrade added DVD-movie upscaling, you will have to buy a pretty expensive DVD-player to get one that has better image quality than the one you get with the PS3 right now. These three items alone is in my opinion definitely worth the price of the PS3 and then some.

If you on the other hand don't care about these and other additional features and are only looking for a game console, then yes it seems expensive.

TiredOfLife
15th July 2007, 23:02
Not in a rush to buy one just yet.
Not exactly flush at the mo.
Want to see the price drop a bit and see a lot more titles before I get involved.
The games would also have to be significantly better than on the PS2.
Haven't seen one in action, so don't know if this is the case or not yet.

J T
21st July 2007, 16:48
Every now and then I think about hi-def spangly graphics and wanting in, but I don't really play videogames enough right now to justify spending that sort of cash - especially as I have the Wii and DS already to take care of my gaming needs. The Xbox360 is more tempting to me at the moment I have to admit - I hear a lot of good things about the online services and things on other boards and it does sound quite good. Again, though, not good enough to make me splash the cash right now.

v85rawdeal
21st July 2007, 16:59
Just bought my PS3 from Argos.

£399.96 incl. 2 games and an extra Sixaxis controller.

PLUS... I put it on my Argos card, which means I can pay it off over the next 9 months without paying interest.

Expensive? Yes... Affordable??? Oh hell yeah!

Submeg
21st July 2007, 21:28
I think I will wait til Christmas at least

Sharingan
22nd July 2007, 10:28
I must admit I'm REALLY tempted to get one now, especially with the offer that's been going around that nets you two games and an extra controller. Granted, it costs the same (599 quid), but buying two games and a controller separately is more expensive than the 100 buck price cut they'd planned.

Choices, choices.

Teho
22nd July 2007, 12:33

Finally, I am not alone. :D

There's still not a whole lot of interesting games out for it though, but there are some. There's of course Motorstorm and Resistance which I bet is the two you got with the console. I personally didn't find Motorstorm to be that great, but it was enjoyable. But Resistance rules, especially the multiplayer is a lot of fun. Several other titles have gotten good reviews though I personally haven't bothered getting them, such as Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer, Genji, Fomula One Championship and some others.

Then there's the upcoming games over the next few months, The Darkness is released in a couple of days. I allready got it through this guy I know, but I haven't played it that much yet. It certainly seems good so far. It's getting great reviews anyway. And there's the one's everybody's allready heard of, like Lair, GTA4, MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed and so on. There's also the new Colin McRae coming, which looks far better than Motorstorm to me. And there's this shooter called Haze on it's way, which there's only been a teaser of so far. It was really well made though, and what it showed looked interesting so I'm keeping an eye out for that.

And then there's the online shop, which has some great little games costing virtually nothing, such as Stardust, Tekken, Calling All Cars and a good few others. There's also game and blu-ray movie trailers on there, and demos of some full games. The Darkness demo was added last thursday for example. The shop updates on fridays usually, and the updates range from poor to pretty good. I.e. sometimes there's only a couple of trailers, sometimes a pretty decent new game is added. And they never cost much. Some have free demos even, but even if they don't the low price means you're not losing much by trying them out.

So there's still many things to try while all in all the games library still isn't very big.

Submeg
22nd July 2007, 22:54
MGS4 drool.....

v85rawdeal
23rd July 2007, 16:23

There's of course Motorstorm and Resistance which I bet is the two you got with the console. I personally didn't find Motorstorm to be that great, but it was enjoyable. But Resistance rules, especially the multiplayer is a lot of fun.

You guessed right, and your opinion is definitely on a par with mine!

Got to get Oblivion... and also GTA (Pre-ordered) and then get online somehow...

Harrison
23rd July 2007, 16:52
Personally, if a game such as Oblivion exists on a console and the PC I will always et the PC version. The reason is because they can be tweaked and modded, whereas the console versions cannot not, and normally suffer from issues the original PC release had at launch.

Puni/Void
23rd July 2007, 19:35
Harrison wrote:

Personally, if a game such as Oblivion exists on a console and the PC I will always et the PC version. The reason is because they can be tweaked and modded, whereas the console versions cannot not, and normally suffer from issues the original PC release had at launch.

That's a good point. Personally I would never play Oblivion as much as I've done lately hadn't it been for the level-scaling mod and other stuff I've installed. I'm sure there are other games falling under this category as well, like Morrowind for example.

Teho
23rd July 2007, 23:56
True. I also tend to get the PC version of typical PC games, such as western RPGs, most strategy titles and such. Not for modding though, I rarely get mods for games. Just that these games simply work better on PCs, with a proper mouse and a zillion keyboard shortcuts.

But about modding console games, there are some changes coming. The next Unreal Tournament game is supposed to support modding, both on PS3 and 360. Whether you can just install the same mods as the PC version directly or version specific mods must be written, I don't know. But it is happening, that's certain. It's a key feature being advertised for the console versions.

Harrison
24th July 2007, 02:10
I can imagine the Xbox 360 and PS3 will both allow more tweaking, cunstomising and modding because they both had harddrive storage available. This was seen in some games on a more limited level with the original Xbox. I still just don't think games of this nature work well on consoles. Also to create the mods I expect a PC would be needed, as I cannot imagine anyone wanting to try and design complate 3D levels for a mod on a console!

Demon Cleaner
24th July 2007, 06:09
Also to create the mods I expect a PC would be needed, as I cannot imagine anyone wanting to try and design complate 3D levels for a mod on a console!Right, but there's always a small community.

But I have the same opinion as JT, I don't play a lot, so I'll still wait until there is some modchip or fw update released that lets you play copies.

Harrison
24th July 2007, 13:07
I have the feeling that it might be a custom firmware that cracks the PS3, much like the PSP. And it will come once a backdoor exploit is found in a game, again similar to how the PSP is downgraded, and the xbox is soft modded.

But it will take time to find.

Teho
24th July 2007, 19:21
Incidentally, I heard someone suggest that if such an exploit will be found, it's going to be through the ability to mod Unreal Tournament.

J T
24th July 2007, 21:57
'Back-door exploit'

*snigger*

No wonder people are saying sony is teh ghey :eyebrow:

Harrison
25th July 2007, 02:10
Incidentally, I heard someone suggest that if such an exploit will be found, it's going to be through the ability to mod Unreal Tournament.

Hmm... not sure about that. In the past exploits have eventually been found in the save game code from some of the earlier games releases on systems. With the Xbox it was the original version of Mech Assault and a few other early games that were found to contain the save game code needed, and on the PSP it was GTA, and now Lumines, both early releases on the platform.

But as with anything that is an exploit it takes time for the coders to work it out and create something that can be used. It might also come later due to something in an as yet unreleased firmware version that they suddenly discover can be exploited through the use of specific games.

It does amaze me how they people actually find these exploits. They must sit there pulling apart and amalysing the code for everything they can get their hands on until they find something that works. Mad.

Submeg
25th July 2007, 05:44
It does amaze me how they people actually find these exploits. They must sit there pulling apart and amalysing the code for everything they can get their hands on until they find something that works. Mad.

I think the correct term is:

NERD!:p

J T
25th July 2007, 10:07

I think the correct term is:

NERD!:p

Yeah, true, but gawd bless 'em for enabling us to play our backup copies :whistle:

Demon Cleaner
25th July 2007, 10:49
Yeah, true, but gawd bless 'em for enabling us to play our backup copiesIndeed, never seen it that way, nerds are great, but keep away from them if you can.

Submeg
25th July 2007, 13:56
they are cool if they give you info but dont try to be your friends

Sharingan
25th July 2007, 14:39
After seeing the gameplay trailers to MGS4 and White Knight Story, I'm sold. Fsucking awesome. Especially the battle system in the latter game looks to be fabulous.

The games lineup right now might be a bit meager, but by the end of 2007, I'm expecting to see the first top titles in the stores. So that gives me a few months to finish up my backlog of PS2 games ... after that, it's next-gen all the way, baby! :thumbs:

v85rawdeal
25th July 2007, 14:47
The games lineup right now might be a bit meager, but by the end of 2007, I'm expecting to see the first top titles in the stores.

Agreed. I'd rather have a meager line-up of good-quality games at the moment, than a shed-load of poor port-across tat!

And Sony are constantly updating the firmware (1.90 now) and that is ALL good!

Demon Cleaner
25th July 2007, 15:09
There's also a nice RPG coming out called Folklore. Here's (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/monstercarnival/index.html?tag=result;title;0) the preview with screenshots at Gamespot. That looks awesome.

Harrison
25th July 2007, 15:20
I definitely agree with this. The PS3 look like it will start to have a great lineup of games come this Christmas. I will definitely be getting one then and I think that it will really start to become more popular and start selling well at the end of this year.

Like most new systems it takes time to gain speed and for developers to finish their first wave of games for the system. All systems always suffer in the first year to some extent.

And I agree regarding the ports. Better they wait than just flood the market with poor last generation ports, making a system appear less capable than it really is. And it wasn't needed with the PS3 anyway as there are so many PS1 and PS2 games that owners can still play while they wait, including new releases.

I now think the PS3 will end up being the best selling next gen system eventually. The Wii enjoyed a big start with a huge uptake over the last Christmas period, but more were casual gamers and we now hear nothing about the system apart from the occassional advert on TV or at the cinema, which are still showing the same limited lineup of games for the system. And the 360? I've not seen any adverts for that in a long time, and although it is in most gaming and electrical stores it isn't promoted much or given prominent focus.

v85rawdeal
25th July 2007, 16:40
However...

I do not recommend :ninja:smuggling:ninja: your PS3 into your mate's workplace just to download GT HD...

Not if you want him to keep his job, that is...:no:

Harrison
25th July 2007, 17:15
I take it this happened to you?

J T
25th July 2007, 17:27
How did you smuggle it in? Was it in a similar latex-wrapped-insertion manner that drugs are smuggled in? Because that sounds rather painful, the PS3 is a big (funny shaped) fcuker.

Submeg
25th July 2007, 22:30
Lol too funny! :lol:

v85rawdeal
26th July 2007, 12:49
We got away with it in the end... His boss confiscated the PS3...

...And we all played GT during the luch break.

Fortunately his boss has a sense of humour!!!

Demon Cleaner
26th July 2007, 12:57
Couldn't imagine this happening with my boss :nono:

Teho
26th July 2007, 13:18
But why couldn't you do this at home though? Don't you have a connection at home? I strongly suggest getting the PS3 permanently connected at home, as the Playstation Network is probably going to be a big part of the PS3s future. Also, there's a good reason to be able to reach the Playstation Store which has lots of neat things for download. And they don't cost much either, Tekken Dark Resurrection costs around £7 and is the most expensive title on there, the only one that costs that much. Then there's the small games made for the PS3 such as Stardust, Gripshift, Blast Factor and such which mostly are around £6 a piece, and PS1 and arcade classics for about £2-3. Then there's the trailers and playable demos of full games that are released from time to time. Word is that a playable demo of Heavenly Sword is coming this week, which is one of the highly anticipated PS3 exclusives.

And there's also the great multiplayer aspect of games like Resistance to consider.

Harrison
26th July 2007, 15:27
Couldn't imagine this happening with my boss :nono:

Really? And yet you sit there playing games all day! Have you ever been caught DC? Or do you have a well rehearsed spy system in the office to alert you of in coming bosses? ;)

Sharingan
26th July 2007, 16:43
I've been conscientious so far. Only played a 'few' games of Excite Bike at work, when everyone had already gone home. Let's not mention how I'm logged into the CA forums for 9-or-so hours daily, though :thumbs:

Submeg
27th July 2007, 01:31
Lol, yes, the "boss" key should be included I think lol :lol:

Demon Cleaner
27th July 2007, 10:16
Really? And yet you sit there playing games all day! Have you ever been caught DC? Or do you have a well rehearsed spy system in the office to alert you of in coming bosses?:) My boss is assistant director, and since 2 years now, he's not in our building anymore, he's now consultant of our minister and director of the LuxTrust company, yeah, awesome man, and he's imo the most qualified man as for mainframes and MVS in Luxembourg.

I have never really been caught, sometimes someone saw me, but didn't say anything, as he really doesn't care about it. And in WinUAE you still have the magical F12 key ;)

Harrison
27th July 2007, 11:13
That is great that your boss isn't in even the same building. In a design company I once worked for my boss was sitting at the next desk near to mine so that wasn't so great. I couldn't really get away with playing any games, although he didn't mind me using the internet as I tended to know the answers to most computer and internet related problems with anything ever cropped up in the office, and he never minded me downloading stuff, just asking that I pause any downloads while they needed to use the connection for something business related ;). In fact he would often ask me to find him music or programs.

Sharingan
27th July 2007, 13:50
Where do you guys find bosses like that?

Mine would likely cut my internet access as soon as he saw me surfing the web for anything other than work-related stuff.

Luckily, I've developed a sixth sense for detecting incoming bosses. Clicking away offending windows or applications has become second nature :thumbs:

Harrison
27th July 2007, 14:34
Lets hope your company doesn't follow the practice of many these days, where they run a proxy server between the internet and employees so they can log all internet activity and are then able to bring up a list of all sites each employee has been visiting!

They even did this in a company I worked for years ago. Luckily I wasn't a suspect and the bosses knew my department looked at all types of sites, after all we were the multimedia team, but they used it to keep an eye on certain employees they had suspicions about, and one even got the sack due to this.

Sharingan
27th July 2007, 15:22
I think the organisation where I'm at has a guideline that forbids the department managers to use such systems to track surfing behaviour. I'm sure there are exceptions - the IT section might, for example, alert management when someone surfs pr0n sites. Ironically, someone working at the IT helpdesk was caught watching pr0n a few years back. He doesn't work there anymore ;)

Otherwise, I haven't heard of any other cases of people being sacked due to internet usage for private reasons. I do know of a few people who surf the web all the time during workhours - maybe 90% of the time. The other 10% they spend drinking coffee or talking. They haven't received any warnings, yet.

Harrison
27th July 2007, 15:37
That sounds like many people I work with. :lol: It is amazing how they get away with it. I'm sure that if I did the same I wouldn't! But that is probably because I try to work hard at whatever I do, so when I'm not pulling my weight it does get noticed, whereas they don't do anything anyway so there is no difference.

v85rawdeal
28th July 2007, 18:42
The answer is no, I don't have internet at my flat. Mainly because at the moment I can't afford it, and there aren't really many reasons for me to spend out on it...

It comes down to how I budget my money and what I spend it on.

I get some internet access at a friend's house, but it is too far to lug the PS3 round to all the time. So I just take my laptop there, and that is why most of my posts appear on a Thursday or a Saturday/Sunday.

Maybe if the price for the broadband packages drop, along with the price of electricity, then maybe I will consider it, but until then... *sigh*

Submeg
28th July 2007, 23:27
Damn man I feel for you :(

Blue Jedi
29th July 2007, 10:54
I got an Xbox 360 at christmas and I have not stop playing it since its awsome its much better than PS3 and almost £200 cheaper all the major and not so major developers have turned there backs on PS3 for good.

I also got a PS3 at launch and I am regreting getting it the only aswome game out for PS3 is Motorstorm its excellent other than that there is nothing worth buying for PS3 because all the best games appart from Home, Metal gear and Killzone 2 are on Xbox 360 as Exclusives.

And PS3 store is not totaly free you have to pay for alot of the games and the retro games and there are no free trials of them to try them before you buy. The only free demos are the ones like GT, Rub a dub, lemings, Ninja gadien.

I play my Xbox 360 and only use my PS3 to play Motorstorm and on fridays to check if sony have added anything new to the PS3 store all they add is trailers for games that have been released on Xbox 360 ages, and then they bulk the rest of the store out with Rocky trailers and old PS1 games.

Is anyone else regreting getting a PS3.

Teho
29th July 2007, 14:56
No, I don't regret getting the PS3. You may do, and you're welcome to. But several of the things you state above are wrong, or just unfair. How exactly can you say that developers have turned their back on the PS3 for good? I have heard no such announcement from any developer at all, and I do pay attention to such news. All the major third-party developers are making PS3 titles, exclusives and non-exclusives alike. There has been rumours that some of Sony's exclusive developers was going to go multi-platform, but so far they have not been confirmed by anyone. Some have rather gone out and said that the rumour isn't true. But even if some developers choose to develop for other platforms as well, they still aren't abandoning the PS3 platform. This just isn't true.

You say the only good game is Motorstorm? That's you opinion. Personally I didn't think Motorstorm was that great, as I've said before. But there are several others that I like personally. This is just opinion though, and can't really be argued. If you don't like any of the PS3s games then I agree, the console is wrong for you.

As for exclusive titles, it is a popular argument that the PS3 has and will have few. You didn't actually say this, I'm just getting it out of the way. If one looks at Wikipedia's list of PS3 games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3_games) one will find that there are in fact going to be many. Yes, wikipedia is known to have errors and there are probably some in that list, but the trend is still pretty clear.

No, the PS Store does not give you free games (except for Gran Turismo HD). This is what I thought was an unfair statement, I don't think anyone has claimed that it did. What are we comparing it with here? Are the games free in the XBox Live Arcade? Or on Nintendo's Virtual Console? No of course the games aren't free in the PS Store, but they don't cost much either. They're all between £2 and £8, most between £4 and £6. I can't see how this is a bad thing.

You are right about some of the updates to the store have been atrocious some weeks, where they have only added a couple of uninteresting trailers. This was mostly during the first couple of months, but it still happens. But there has also been some great updates with new games and demos. There are great updates as well as well as poor ones, it's always going to be that way. Personally I've found a lot of updates interesting. You do for example mention PS1 games being part of the updates as being a bad thing. I disagree, I think it's great that we can get those classics for £4-£5. I've gotten several allready that I decided to hold off getting back in the day until the price on them dropped, which I then never saw again and forgot about. And if you have a PSP, you can transfer these PS1 games to that and play them there as well if you want to.

So no, I don't regret getting one and I am quite confident that I won't anytime soon. Please note that I've said nothing bad about the 360 or the Wii either, they're probably great consoles too. I'm actually considering getting a Wii sometime to see what the fuss is all about, but I'm in no hurry to at the moment. The Xboxes never appealed to me personally, not enough to make me go out and get one. But I don't think it seems like an outright bad platform either, just not for me.

AlexJ
29th July 2007, 21:21
When big games are considered GTA IV (Rockstar) is going to be on both platforms as is Burnout 5 (EA), Resi 5 (Capcom), Guitar Hero 3 (Activision) and the majority of the other major releases. Final Fantasy XIII (SquareEnix) & Gran Turismo 5 (Sony) are going to be PS3 exclusive so that'll clinch the console war for me. It seems to me that the vast majority of exclusive games are those developed by the studios owned by either Sony or MS. All the independents seem to be mainly dual format.

Harrison
30th July 2007, 16:34
I've been discussing the Xbox 360 vs the PS3 with Blue Jedi via PM for the past few days, and I have to say that I'm with the rest of you. There are hardly any exclusive games due for release on the 360. Most are also being released on either the PC, PS3 or both.

He did send me a list of "exclusive" titles, but when I looked at them only 5 were actual Xbox 360 exclusives, and only one of those has actually been released so far.

At this stage it is hard to say what might happen in the next couple of years, but I personally think the PS3 will end up being more popular and come out on top as it did with the past two generations.

Why? First the brand. There are a lot of people who love the PS1 and PS2. Why haven't they already bought into the PS3? Easy. The price of the system still needs to come down so that the average person finds it affordable. Also HDTVs are still not common place in most homes. I expect this to dramatically change within the next couple of years, and once this happens they will be looking for an HD film format to buy into. Knowing the Playstation brand and the PS3 being able to play Blu-Ray discs out of the box means it's a win win situation. In contrast the Xbox 360 needs an additional HD-DVD external drive so you can run the HD-DVD discs, and most consumers will not buy into a product that you are then required to buy more hardware for, just to do the same task the PS3 can do as it is.

As I've mentioned in the PMs to Blue Jedi, the PS3 is still gaining momentum. It's less than a year old and so the first wave of software titles are still in development. The Xbox 360 in contrast has been out a lot longer, but it doesn't really have the killer line-up of titles you might expect after such a long lead time over the other next gen systems.

There is something else. Next to no exposure. Ask any average person in the street about the PS3 and they will have heard of it, and might even be able to tell you something about it. Ask them about the Xbox 360 and many will give you a blank expression. They don't know what it is, and on the whole don't care. I know people who are not gamers and when the Xbox 360 adverts were played in the cinema they didn't understand what was being advertised. Therefore those adverts failed. They are aimed at existing gamers. Sony know their market better. Just look at the Playstation sales of the past. It will win this generation, or Sony will die trying.

The Xbox 360 won't fail, but it will continue along the same path as the original Xbox. And it is American. For this reason it will never sell well in Japan compared to the Wii and PS3, and being American it will sell better in the USA than any other region and end up getting titles released that only appeal to the limited teen American demographic.

As for the Wii I think that will end up as all Nintendo systems have since the N64. A first party platform seeing great Nintendo created games that utilise the control system well, but that will be it. A gaming platform as Nintendo platforms have always been. Fun and generating enough money to keep Nintendo happy, but not something Sony need worry about.

v85rawdeal
30th July 2007, 16:55
The ONLY problem I have had so far, albeit a very serious problem (imho) is that every time I eat ice cream, the controller keeps falling off my lap, because there is no cord for me to tuck between my legs...

Now as unimportant as this may sound, I am worried about the damage that could be done to my controller if this happened whilst sitting on a hotel balcony!!!

And if so, who would I sue???

Harrison
30th July 2007, 18:14
Well... Nintendo had to provide stronger straps for their controller to protect themselves against law suits. Could Sony be taken to court for not providing a means to tether your control whilst stuffing your face? ;)

Sharingan
30th July 2007, 20:58
The PS3 is gaining momentum, and good ol' Sharingan is helping it along!

Just grabbed me a PS3, the starter pack that includes Motorstorm, Resistance: Fall of Man and an extra Sixaxis controller. Couldn't resist. If you subtract the price of the games and controller from the 600-buck price tag, the console itself only cost me a mere 435 quid. For a next-gen console that also plays Blu-ray discs, DVDs and old PS2/PSX games, that's a steal. I challenge anyone to find a Blu-ray player for that kind of money.

First impressions:

Great build quality. Unlike the Wii and 360, the console looks and feels very robust, AND has a slick look to it as well. The sucker is HEAVY, though. If I was the PS3 designer, I probably would've opted for an external power supply - not only could they have made the console smaller, they would also have made it easier to cool the thing. All in all, a good first impression.

Upon turning on the machine, the first thing I noticed was how QUIET it was. It was whisper-silent. I thought that the fans would kick in after playing games for a while, but it didn't do that either. At first, I was afraid the PS3 would be a jet-engine on steroids like the Xbox 360, but I was pleasantly surprised here. Chalk up another one for Sony's console.

The controllers look just like the old Dualshocks, albeit much lighter. They do look a bit dingy and cheap, but if you liked the DS controller, you'll like this one just the same. The shoulder buttons (R2 and L1) are slightly different this time 'round - they actually feel like analog buttons now.

Now, let's move onto the games:

Resistance: Fall of Man: The much acclaimed FPS from Insomniac Games. I was eager to try it out after reading the good reviews, and I wasn't disappointed. It might not be immediately mind-blowing when it comes to the visuals, but what's there is very polished and consistent in quality. The framerate never stutters either, no matter how much is going on on-screen. The gameplay is what you would expect from any other shooter really: tight controls, challenging AI and an immersive storyline all help to make R: FOM a good, fun experience. Being only a first-generation game, I'm expecting BIG things to happen in future FPS titles on the PS3.

Motorstorm: Let's get this out of the way first: the load times are retarded. I'm not sure if I can copy game data over to the HD to alleviate this, but playing from the game disc only, the loading times made me cringe. The game itself however, is oodles of fun. It looks, sounds and feels great, with the realistic physics model being the crowning highlight. I've only played one track so far, but already it looks like a game I can sink my teeth into for a while.

Notice that the above two mini-reviews were based on impressions from playing on a standard definition TV, since I have no HDTV yet. Even so, I was mightily impressed - I truely can't wait 'til I can witness the sickeningly good visuals in a proper resolution. A SD-TV does not do the PS3 any justice. At all.

So there you have it. I've jumped on board the next-gen train, and I'm definitely going to enjoy it. Now, I'll just have to save up for a meaty HDTV, and I'm set for the next couple of years!

The next games I'm going to fetch? Probably Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Virtua Fighter 5.

Sharingan
31st July 2007, 12:43
As planned, I'll be fetching Ninja Gaiden and Virtua Fighter 5 after I get off work. I'll be posting some impressions soon.

I read somewhere that it's possible to connect the PS3 to a standard LCD monitor via a HDMI-to-DVI converter cable. Might be a nice stop-gap solution until I can afford a real HDTV!

I'm really needing that next paycheck now :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 12:49
So you like beat'em ups? I would never buy any, as I don't like them (besides IK+), I only play them for 2-3 combats, then they're placed in my map folder. Then again, I don't buy any games at all, but if I had a PS3 now, I'd be forced to buy some, as there's no other solution.

Harrison
31st July 2007, 14:53
Virtua Fighter V is rumoured to and play very nicely. I've like the series since the third game on the Dreamcast, although I'm more of a Tekken fan myself.

Sharingan
31st July 2007, 15:15
I love beat'em ups. Though, I have to admit I'm crap at them. Can't count the amount of times I've been trashed at games of Street Fighter II in the arcades ... good times. I guess I just don't have the twitchy kind of reactions needed to be good at this genre.

Still, I like to play them, and I'm especially into the Soul Calibur series (but I like my Tekken as well). I've never tried the Virtua Fighter series actually, but I figured I might as well try now.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 15:21
What about Heavenly Sword? I have seen a video of the first level played through by some guy, and it just looked awesome, kinda reminded me of God of War. At Game Informer (http://www.gameinformer.com/default.htm) they have 10 videos of the 1st level for d/l.

Harrison
31st July 2007, 15:32
I've not heard of that one. Will have to take a look.

The Soul Calibur series is my favourite Beat 'Em Up series on any platform. Soul Edge on the Playstation was amazing at the time. That intro is still brilliant, and the first Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast still looks as good as anything that appeared on the PS2 or Xbox. Just shows what they could have done with the Dreamcast if only... :( And Soul Calibur 2 on the Xbox, and Soul Calibur 3 on the PS2. All great games. I cannot wait for the next one.

Teho
31st July 2007, 15:40
There is a playable Heavenly Sword demo in the Playstation Store. It's very short unfortunately, but what was there was very enjoyable. I can see why the press nicknames it 'Goddess of War' as you do get some serious God of War vibes playing it. The main character even has similar chain-blades for her long range attacks. The combat flows very nicely along, with the combosystem being very versatile. You have your three different fightingstances which you easily change between by holding a corresponding shoulderbutton. You can for example start off a combo with some light, long range attacks, turn and continue on the guy approaching from behind with normal attacks and finish it off with a heavy, close-range blow without pausing. You can also pick up just about anything and throw around, including dead enemies.

Because of how short the demo is you don't get any feel for the game's actual depth, but this fighting system seems like it has a lot to offer. It doesn't seem like that is going to be repetetive soon at least. From what I've seen so far, I'm definitely going to get this game.

Go grab the demo, Sharingan. It's a big download for such a short experience, but worth checking out still.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 15:47
And the visuals are just plain beautiful :o

Harrison
31st July 2007, 16:33
I just watched a couple of the Heavenly Sword video clips and it does look great. I love the way the bow system seems to work, guiding the arrow in first person perspective till it reaches its target. Very nice.

Sharingan
31st July 2007, 17:11
Oh, I'll definitely grab the Heavenly Sword demo once I hook up the PS3 to the 'net. I've been loosely following this game's development, and from what I've seen, it's going to be rad. Definitely one of my most anticipated titles.

As for Soul Edge, yeah, that intro was brilliant. I'd sometimes boot up the game just to watch it. Soul Calibur 4 is going to be sick, I'm sure :thumbs:

J T
31st July 2007, 21:09
the console itself only cost me a mere 435 quid.

Crikey.... that is quite a lot in my book.

Harrison
31st July 2007, 21:22
Definitely more than most can afford. But do remember it can also play blu-ray discs so is cheaper than any current stand alone HD player! When looking at it from that perspective it is cheap.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 21:40
That's what I always told people, the PS3 is the cheapest blu-ray player available, and it can do a lot more.

Sharingan
31st July 2007, 22:33

Wait ... do notice that I'm talking of 435 euro, not 435 GBP. But then, you probably already know :thumbs:

AlexJ
31st July 2007, 22:59

Wait ... do notice that I'm talking of 435 euro, not 435 GBP. But then, you probably already know :thumbs:

And having worked out that's about £300, I was about to go on about how we're being ripped off in the UK paying ~£425 until I realised that Game throw in 3 games worth £30 each and a Sixaxis worth £35 which makes it £300 here too. Starting to look tempting...

Harrison
31st July 2007, 23:35
£300 is a very good price and is about the same as the PS2 started off costing, so not an outrageous amount.

v85rawdeal
1st August 2007, 09:20
When I got my first PS2 I paid a total of £350, for the console and three games. It didnt include an extra controller (£20) or a memory card (£29.99) or even the cable I needed for my TV (It didn't have a scart socket)... So in all I spent over £400 on my first PS2... Which makes my PS3 purchase quite comparible in price and actually not at all bad value for money (60gb vs 8mb storage...)

In the end though, it is all horses for courses and there will only be one winner...

...US!!!

Harrison
1st August 2007, 09:54
Definitely. Could even be seen as a real bargain, if it not for the fact most also need to add in the cost of an HDTV to get the most from it...

Sharingan
1st August 2007, 09:58
I paid the full price for the PS2 as well, right after the launch. I remember it was around the equivalent of € 550, without extra controller, no games, and with a crappy AV-cable. I'm sure people back then were also complaining about the price and the lack of quality games; just look at what the PS2 has become now :thumbs:

Harrison
1st August 2007, 10:13
I remember the PS2 in the early days and there were loads of people complaining. They didn't like how big the PS2 was, they thought it was too expensive, the complained that the games came in bigger DVD style boxes instead of the CD sized cases of the original PSX, and the maddest thing I remember was how everyone was complaining about the lack of in-game anti-aliasing. Who else remembers that? On GameFAQs and other sites at the time that was all the kiddies were arguing about. We now know it can do such effects perfectly well. It just required good developers!

And in a similar way to the PS3, when the PS2 was new DVD drives were expensive and people saw the PS2 as a cheap DVD player. Very similar.

Teho
1st August 2007, 10:25
I too paid quite a lot for the PS2 at it's launch back in the day. If I recall correctly, it launched for kr3,990, which is £350-£360. And that was with one controller, no games and no memory card. I remember I got a memory card, Timesplitters and SSX with it, so it it did cost a great deal in the end as well.

Definitely. Could even be seen as a real bargain, if it not for the fact most also need to add in the cost of an HDTV to get the most from it...

True that. I was going to get a HDTV sometime soon anyway, but it's no coincidence that I went down and got one just after getting the PS3. That TV was £2.000. On top of that, it didn't take long that I decided I needed a new reciever, as the one I had was getting pretty old. It couldn't play back DTS signals, and that just wouldn't do. So went down and got a new one for around £300. Which it turns out won't play back the uncompressed PCM signal on the Blu-ray movies through the optical input, you have to use some special component input to get it which isn't that easy to do from the PS3. So I'm going to take that back once the next model that actually can play that back from the optical is released next month.

It also didn't take long before I got a 200GB HD for it as well. That was a little less than £100 when I got it (and plummeted in price soon after http://www.home.no/teho/argh.gif). Add those two games I got with the PS3 then you could say I've spent over £3.000 as a direct result of getting a PS3 so far.

But who's counting? :)

Sharingan
1st August 2007, 11:14
But who's counting? :)

You are? :)

My line of thought is: what's the point of having a job and making all that money if you're not going to spend it? Life's short ... enjoy it while you can.

Demon Cleaner
1st August 2007, 11:40
I had several PS2 models, but only 1 year after its release, as usual. First one I bought wasn't modded, as there were no real mods out. Then I modded it with a Neo 2, but you had to have an original of a game, where the DVD was very full (in GB), games like GTA or DMC to swap with copies. Then I sold it and got a new one with a Sniper mod, which was the first direct boot mod, sold that one and got the one I have now with a DMS3. Lately I also bought a slim PS2 with a Matrix Infinity.

Blue Jedi
1st August 2007, 13:13
Some intresting figures.

Did you know Xbox now has over 7 million members online thats a new member every 8 seconds since the last years E3.

Xbox 360 has sold more games than PS3 and Wii combined.

Did you know since november Xbox 360 3rd part games have craked the top 10 best seller list 18 times your wondering what the numbers look like on the PS3 and WII here they are 0 and nill for both. Since November consumers have spent 2.4 billion on Xbox 360 hardware and software and acessories this is as much as Wii and PS3 combined. That means half of consumer spending in this generation is on Xbox 360, Xbox 360 is driving the industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnzvvSqCvSE&mode=related&search=

Harrison
1st August 2007, 13:32
I think you listen too much to marketing spin from the direction of the big M$! ;)

Sharingan
1st August 2007, 13:42
Did you also know the Xbox 360 can bake chocolate chip cookies and cure AIDS? Oh, and obviously, Bill Gates is the one that is going to solve the problem of global warming.

Fact!

Harrison
1st August 2007, 13:56
Surely with the heat the 360 outputs it is the main cause of global warming!

Teho
1st August 2007, 14:14
Did you know Xbox now has over 7 million members online thats a new member every 8 seconds since the last years E3.

Really? Good for them! :)

Xbox 360 has sold more games than PS3 and Wii combined.

I have no doubt that it has. It has also been out a year longer than both of those systems. And the PS3 had a really slow start gameswise as well, there's no denying that. But sales are bound to pick up, the hardware sales has increased a lot since the price drop/rebundle and there are many highly anticipated titles coming over the next few months. Still it will probably take some time for it to catch up with the 360 game sales, if it ever does.

Did you know since november Xbox 360 3rd part games have craked the top 10 best seller list 18 times your wondering what the numbers look like on the PS3 and WII here they are 0 and nill for both.

No, I didn't know that. But again I have no doubt, I don't know about the Wii but on the PS3 there hasn't been many topsellers since it's launch, and there probably aren't enough consoles sold yet to be able to sell enough games to make a top ten list. Again, this is turning around now but it is going to take a while. The market isn't going to turn around overnight.

Since November consumers have spent 2.4 billion on Xbox 360 hardware and software and acessories this is as much as Wii and PS3 combined. That means half of consumer spending in this generation is on Xbox 360, Xbox 360 is driving the industry.

Again, good for them! I think what you fail to realise is that nobody here really cares about which system sells the most of this and that. Most of us will end up owning both of those systems and maybe even the Wii too. Even if the PS3 never outsells the 360 in any way, we are still excited about the features it has and the upcoming games for it. As we are for all systems! Though not all of us are getting all the systems, I think you'll find that we care little about what outsells what and more about what the system actually has to offer, and decide what to buy based on that.

Harrison
1st August 2007, 15:04
Here here Teho. :thumbs:

I personally care little for actual system specs and how a system physically looks. What I care about are the actual games, regardless of the platform they are on. All three systems have games worth playing, and I will eventually even buy a Wii just to be able to play Zelda and Mario games! Both the PS3 and 360 will have a few exclusive titles and so if the games are good enough each will be worth while owning so they can be played.

One thing I do know is that spec wise the PS3 is more powerful than the 360, it can output higher resolution HD, and it has a huge advantage over the 360 in terms of optical storage (something that is already becoming an issue for developers on the 360). This may work against the 360 later but for now both systems are ticking along nicely.

As for sales and other figures, they mean little in reality. They all depend on which marketing team they were generated through, which sales charts they monitor, and many other aspects, so they are all very inaccurate and ofton hyped by the console's parent company so should not be believed beyond being used as a rough guestimate of how a system is doing.

But the fact that the PS3 has now sold close to 4 Million means it is already very successful in it's own right. Yes the 360 has sold more over the extra year it has enjoyed before the others came to market, and good for M$. Lets hope they all do well so we see more great games appearing across all three platforms. And don't forget the PC gaming market. It is far from dead!

AlexJ
1st August 2007, 15:06
Did you know since november Xbox 360 3rd part games have craked the top 10 best seller list 18 times your wondering what the numbers look like on the PS3 and WII here they are 0 and nill for both. Since November consumers have spent 2.4 billion on Xbox 360 hardware and software and acessories this is as much as Wii and PS3 combined. That means half of consumer spending in this generation is on Xbox 360, Xbox 360 is driving the industry.

The current No.1 across All Platforms is Pokemon Diamond (DS). That just about says all I need to know about top-selling games and how they affect what I buy. Out of interest the No.2 is Transformers: The Game (PS2,PS3,360,Wii).

Demon Cleaner
1st August 2007, 15:08
I don't want to get in between a 360 - PS3 conflict now, but the most complaints I hear from the 360 is the fact, that a lot of people had (and still have) to send back in their consoles for repair because of the famous Ring of Death. Enough for me not to buy one.

Harrison
1st August 2007, 15:32
At least M$ do admit to hardware issues. They have since extended their warranty to 3 years to cover the Ring of Death error, and reimbursed anyone who has already had to pay for the repair.

Here is quite a big Wiki page about 360 issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

J T
1st August 2007, 18:06
I probably love the DS more than the Wii.

Easy flash carts FTW

Demon Cleaner
2nd August 2007, 11:49
This evening at 22h at GIGA Games TV, they have a preview of Heavenly Sword, I'm not gonna miss that one. On Tuesday they showed the demo.

Sharingan
2nd August 2007, 12:41
Apparently, the preview builds they have of Heavenly Sword still suffer from some framerate drops, so they might not be demonstrative of what the final game will look like. Framerate is usually the last thing that developers tweak before releasing the final build of a game, so I'm sure it will be sorted out.

As a sidenote, I picked up a copy of Virtua Tennis 3 now as well, bringing the total of owned PS3 games to 5. I'm heading towards bankruptcy, and loving it :thumbs:

Harrison
2nd August 2007, 12:47
I love the Virtua Tennis series. I've been playing the third game on the PC and loving it. Also love the Xbox Top Spin series. The two have quite different control systems so are each fun in different ways.

Although nothing can still beat the shear fun you can still get from the classic SNES Smash Tennis. That still remains my favourite Tennis game and one I still fire up my SNES and original copy to play. :)

Demon Cleaner
2nd August 2007, 14:25
Although nothing can still beat the shear fun you can still get from the classic SNES Smash Tennis.Hm, have to give that one a try.

The Virtua Tennis series is really awesome, it delivers a very good feeling and also disposes of a good handling.

I always loved Match Point on the C64.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/Match_Point.png

Blue Jedi
2nd August 2007, 17:50
All I will say on the console wars discusion is this watch the tokyo game show or the ECT's or whenever the next microsoft confrence is Xbox 360 have some big surprises in store for sony.

Xbox have nearly all the major exlcusives GTAIV ect and Sony still have quite alot of major eclusives that have Final Fantasy Metal gear ect.

Microsoft are making moves on a few lucrative deals with some developers if sucessfull you will notice a microsoft bonmshell it at the next Microsoft confrence either the Tokyo game show or ECT's.

I love the C64 and I still play my C64 and games the colours, graphics, sound and music are so good on C64 you dont get games like this anymore.

I also like match point.

I use to go to the paper shop go to a little corner alclove and stand staring at a shelf of tapes ranging from under £1 upwards.

CJ Elephant Antics, Cops and Robbers, The last ninja, Bomb Jack and Back to the future 2, Indiana Jones and the temple of doom, and citadel are some of my most favourite C64 games.

Harrison
2nd August 2007, 17:52
Another C64 fan. :thumbs:

AlexJ
2nd August 2007, 19:15
Xbox have nearly all the major exlcusives GTAIV ect and Sony still have quite alot of major eclusives that have Final Fantasy Metal gear ect.

GTA IV is dual platform not an exclusive.

Demon Cleaner
2nd August 2007, 19:54
the colours, graphics, sound and music are so good on C64 you dont get games like this anymore.You surely mean on an 8 bitter?

Blue Jedi
3rd August 2007, 11:56
Alex GTAIV is an Xbox 360 exclusive but it is alot different to most exclusives it will get relased at the same time on dual platforms both Xbox 360 and PS3 will get it at he same time, but Xbox 360 get extra exclusive downloadable content such as new areas for the maps, cars, helicopters, weapons, music, storys and missions PS3 wont get any of this.

Thanks for the thumbs up Harrison and Demon Cleaner I am a real 8 bitter do any of you guys remeber the C64 games I metioned that were my favourites.

I also had and still do have an Acorn electon with all my games Last Ninja on Acon electron was and is one of the best versions i have seen.

AlexJ
3rd August 2007, 12:24
I'm not sure about GTA5, but GTA4 is going to be released on both formats (therefore it is not an exclusive) although initially only the 360 will have downloadable content, namely two extra 'episodes'. The two episodes will cost extra on top of the game though. Both games will have online play from day 1. Planes will not be featuring in the game.

Blue Jedi
3rd August 2007, 12:34
Alex GTAIV it is on both formats but it is an exclusive for xbox 360 in the form of downloadable content if your in to downloadable content all the thinks i mentioned above.

Xbox 360 and PS3 will both have the online mode but the Xbox 360 has the exlusive downloadable content as above but it will cost points and Xbox 360 also has some free regular updates and downloadable content as above and although the Xbox 360 gets all the goodies the PS3 will get some extra missions and it will get online play like xbox 360 does so its not all bad for PS3.

There is no planes in the game and I dont think there ever will be in GTAIV because the game is set in New York. But there will be helicopters and other forms of air transport such as jet packs and possibly pilotable UFO's and rockstar have said that extra vehicles will be some of the Xbox 360 Exlusive downloadable content.

v85rawdeal
4th August 2007, 11:18
May I just point out that the reason why the 360 will have downloadable content is the fact that the PS3 could have all that content (and a whole lot more) on the game disk itself. One of the many advantages of having a Blu-Ray drive fitted in the machine.

But seeing as it has been put back till next year, the whole thing is a moot point at the moment.

Harrison
4th August 2007, 12:39
This does sound like a good reason for the differences. Already some Xbox 360 games are having to be scaled down and content removed because the developers cannot fit the complete game onto the Xbox 360's DVD media, and so the full version is only being released on PS3 thanks to the much larger Blu-Ray capacity.

And I think the term "exclusive" is being used on the Xbox 360 in much the same way as it was on the original Xbox. They are using it just to highlight the games have a difference compared to the same game on other platforms, or due to the Xbox 360 version getting a release a few weeks ahead of the same game on other platforms, rather than how it should be used, which would be to show that a game is exclusive only to that platform and will not be seeing a release on any other.

From the true definition of an exclusive release on a single platform I think the PS3 will be the one platform to see this happen. Once developers start to take advantage of the Blu-Ray media capacity they won't want to try and down size the games to shoe horn them onto the Xbox 360's DVD media. Porting in the other direction from Xbox to PS3 will not have this problem so will be a much better prospect for developers. Create a game on the Xbox 360, and then release an enhanced version on PS3.

I definitely know which platform I would rather buy a game on if it were available on both.

Submeg
4th August 2007, 12:44
But seeing as it has been put back till next year, the whole thing is a moot point at the moment.

What's this? The PS3 doesnt have a BluRay player? :eyebrow:

Harrison
4th August 2007, 13:36
? He meant GTA4 was been put back to next year, not that the PS3 is waiting for a BluRay drive to be fitted.

v85rawdeal
4th August 2007, 14:06

What's this? The PS3 doesnt have a BluRay player? :eyebrow:

:lol:OH HA HA! BLOODY FUNNY:lol:

My bad... thanks for clearing that up, Harrison

Submeg
4th August 2007, 15:32
Yea I was thinking wtf? That makes no sense :blink: whoops my bad x 2!

v85rawdeal
4th August 2007, 16:07
One day I am going to open my mouth so wide, I am going to choke on my left buttock!!!

Submeg
5th August 2007, 00:21
wtf? :blink: that was random!

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 11:09
May I just point out that the reason why the 360 will have downloadable content is the fact that the PS3 could have all that content (and a whole lot more) on the game disk itself. One of the many advantages of having a Blu-Ray drive fitted in the machine.

Rawdedal

The Xbox 360 does not have downloadable content for GTAIV because they could not fit GTAIV on to the 360 disks both the Xbox 360 and PS3 version are the same size game and they are both on one disk and GTAIV is being relased on both machines at the same time.

However although GTAIV will be a released for both consoles at the same time. GTA IV is Still an Xbox 360 Exclusive and that means it gets extra downloadable content because it is Exclusive to Xbox 360 this is extra, this will inclued map exspansions, weapons, veichles, Characters ect.

The PS3 will get some downloadable Missions but it wont get the exclusive Xbox 360 stuff.

The Blue rays can hold alot more than a HD DVD and some of the new ones can even hold 500 gig and over double that.

But it is not an advantage at the moment because developers are struggling to fill the Xbox 360 10 gig Dual layer DVD's so all the extra 45 gigs of space on the PS3 blue rays disk is uselesss at the moment. Its the PC that will take advantage of the Blue ray.

GTAIV is being delayed because of it has slow frame rates on both consoles and it has bugs and it is not it is unfinished.

I am glad it is delayed because I would rather they took there time and made it awsome instead of rushing it.

AlexJ
6th August 2007, 11:14

Rawdedal

The Xbox 360 does not have downloadable content for GTAIV because they could not fit GTAIV on to a HD DVD dont be silly both the Xbox 360 and PS3 version are the same size game and they are both on one disk and GTAIV is being relased on both machines at the same time.

However although GTAIV will be a released for both consoles at the same time. GTA IV is Still an Xbox 360 Exclusive and that means it gets extra downloadable content because it is Exclusive to Xbox 360 this is extra, this will inclued map exspansions, weapons, veichles, Characters ect.

The PS3 will get some downloadable Missions but it wont get the exclusive Xbox 360 stuff.

The Blue rays can hold alot more than a HD DVD and some of the new ones can even hold 500 gig and over double that.

But it is not that much of an advantage at the moment because developers are struggling to fill the Xbox 360 HD DVD so all the extra space on the PS3 blue rays is uselesss at the moment. Its the PC that will take advantage of the Blue ray.

You're talking bollocks! The XBox 360 is fitted with a normal DVD (not HD DVD) drive as standard with an optional add on HD DVD drive. Hardly any games are being released on HD DVD for the 360 because the optional add on isn't widespread enough. A total of 155,000 Xbox HD DVD drives were sold in North America (The 360's biggest market). Compare that to the figure sold (5.4 million) and that means 3% of 360 owners in North America are able to play HD DVD games. Why would a developer release a game on that format when currently 97% of 360 owners won't buy it?

J T
6th August 2007, 11:46
Has there ever been a really, truly successful add-on?

I can think of a fair few that weren't particularly successful (well, in the gaming sphere at least): Mega CD, Sega 32X, N64DD (was pretty much abandoned never released properly) - not to mention the tons of gimmicky peripherals like the nintendo power glove.

I think you mean 50 gig. HD-DVD can't hold quite that much, but isn't leagues behind.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 12:02
Alex you a PS3 fan boy by any chance your PS3 bible bashing more nonsence again wally. Blah Blah Blah Blah.

All 360 games are in HD and can display 720p and 1080p

Blue ray is not an advantage for PS3 at the moment because developers are still struggling to fill the Xbox 360 10 gig Dual layer DVD's so all the extra 45 gigs of space on the PS3 blue rays disk's is uselesss at the moment.

The newer Blue rays can hold alot more than hold 500 gig and over double that.

AlexJ
6th August 2007, 12:31
My post made no reference to PS3. You are confusing High Definition (that's the display resolution) with High Density DVD (which is a higher capacity DVD format).

The 360 can do the former but requires an add-on to do the latter.

EDIT: Glad to see you retracted the 'wally' comment.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 12:50
Alex your confused full stop :idontgetit::doh:

And I dident retract wally.:elefant::elefant::elefant:

Sharingan
6th August 2007, 12:57
The irony of it all.

And I remember someone in the distant past saying that we'd never need more than 640kb of memory. How right he was. I believe his last name started with a G, and ended with an S.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 13:04
Who would have thought it is amazing really.

AlexJ
6th August 2007, 13:06
And I dident retract wally.:elefant::elefant::elefant:

Yep you did at 12:32. You replaced it at 12:45. All edits to messages are logged. Anyway, I'm sure people can make up their own mind on just who the 'wally' is here.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 13:09
Has there ever been a really, truly successful add-on?

I can think of a fair few that weren't particularly successful (well, in the gaming sphere at least): Mega CD, Sega 32X, N64DD (was pretty much abandoned never released properly) - not to mention the tons of gimmicky peripherals like the nintendo power glove.

I think you mean 50 gig. HD-DVD can't hold quite that much, but isn't leagues behind.

I was refering to some of thre new blue rays not new HD DVDs

The PS3 Blue rays can hold alot more than a HD DVD and some of the new blue rays can even hold 500 gig and over double that.

AlexJ
6th August 2007, 13:32

Add-on wise, nothing I can think of. Peripherals, the only truly successful one I can think of was the Dual Shock. It took enough of the market from the original digital controller so that later games required it. Whether this counts I'm not sure as although it came 3 years after the PSX launched, it was bundled as standard with the console from late-1998 on.

Submeg
6th August 2007, 13:38
Really? I though the Dual Shock came with PS2, there you go learn something new everyday.

Sharingan
6th August 2007, 13:43
I believe there was an addon marketed Japan that plugged into a console controller port - said addon had a rumble function that could be used 'for the sexual pleasure of women'.

I'm not quite sure if this thing was a success or not, but I can't fault the engineers for thinking of creative uses for a console 'feature' :thumbs:

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 13:49
I thought that aswell submeg dont dissagree with alex though you will get a head trying he gets confused.

J T
6th August 2007, 13:55
I believe there was an addon marketed Japan that plugged into a console controller port - said addon had a rumble function that could be used 'for the sexual pleasure of women'.

I'm not quite sure if this thing was a success or not, but I can't fault the engineers for thinking of creative uses for a console 'feature' :thumbs:

You aren't thinking of the Rez Trance-vibrator are you? I never did get into Rez, plus it made my eyes go a bit squiffy. But it (and the trance-vibrator) has somewhat a cult following.

some of the new blue rays can even hold 500 gig and over double that.

Wrong, as I told you it's 50 gig, straight from the horse's (or donkey? ZING!) mouth (http://www.blu-ray.com/info/). I don't mind the generalisations so much, but have to correct this. It's an easy mistake to make, but let's straighten it out.

Really? I though the Dual Shock came with PS2, there you go learn something new everyday.

Dual shock was launched for the original playstation, by the time of PS2 it had become a standard at Sony. Remember, back at the beginning, the first pads for the original Playstation didn't even have analogue sticks on them, this was a slightly later development that once again became a standard.

I thought that aswell submeg dont dissagree with alex though you will get a head trying he gets confused.

Let's keep this factual, guy. Open debate is fine but no mis-information or sledging, please (unless of course it is done in a jocular fashion, by me, natch).

Submeg
6th August 2007, 13:57
Um, what kind of crazy nerd would come up with a vibrator as an accessory? Weird :blink:

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 14:08
The DualShock (officially DUALSHOCK and occasionally referred to as Dual Shock) is the standard game controller available for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 video game consoles. The DualShock was introduced in Japan in late 1997, and launched in America in May 1998, meeting with critical success. First introduced as a secondary peripheral for the original PlayStation, a revised PlayStation version came with the controller and subsequently phased out the digital controller that was originally included with the hardware, as well as the Sony Dual Analog Controller. The DualShock was a success, providing gamers with a new way to get further into their games.

When the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system was announced, the DualShock 2 Analog Controller (SCPH-10010) included with it was exactly the same externally as the previous Dual Shock analog controller, except that it was black (colours came later), had different screw positioning (one fewer), and the Dualshock 2 logo was added. Internally, it was lighter, the sticks had more levels of sensitivity, and all of the buttons (except for the Select, Start, Analog mode, L3 and R3 buttons) were pressure sensitive. Another way to tell the PS1 and the PS2 controllers apart is that the connector that plugs into the console matches that console's memory card shape; the PS1's connector has rounded shoulders and PS2's is squared off.

In 2002, Sony and Microsoft were sued by force-feedback company Immersion for patent infringement for the use of vibration functions in their controllers. Specifically, they were accused of infringing on claims in U.S. Patent 6,424,333 and U.S. Patent 6,275,213 (filed 2000 and 2001 as extensions of U.S. Patent 6,088,017 , itself filed 1998, all "Tactile feedback man-machine interface device"). While Microsoft settled out of court, purchasing a 10% share in the company, Sony continued to defend the case. Their defense centered on a force feedback controller patent which Sony licensed from Logitech during 1998. Sony lost and was required to pay considerable retroactive royalties (approximately $91 million) to Immersion, for the seven years that the DualShock controller had been on the market, and suspend the sale of the controllers in the United States (including all PlayStation and PlayStation 2 console packages containing them). Following attempted (and failed) attempts to appeal, the two companies have now settled, with Immersion receiving $90.7m. The two companies plan to "explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation format products."[2].

If sony would have just admited they infringed and ripped of Immersions force feedback patent they would have been able to have it in there controlers like Microsoft.

But PS3 would not admit it and instead had to pay Immersion $91 million and go with it in PS3 controllers what is the sense in that.

Sharingan
6th August 2007, 14:18
You aren't thinking of the Rez Trance-vibrator are you? I never did get into Rez, plus it made my eyes go a bit squiffy. But it (and the trance-vibrator) has somewhat a cult following.

Yeah, that's the thing, I believe. I'm not even sure if it was a Japan thing, but considering the weird devices they've come up with, it seemed likely.

AlexJ
6th August 2007, 14:30

Yep, it was the original Playstation I was referring to as not having it to start with (in the UK, the original Playstation was often referred to by it's codename PSX - not sure if that was the case elsewhere).

Listen buddy, me and Submeg have known each other on here long enough to know what we can disagree on. Here it was a simple case of Submeg misreading my post. As you can see:

Add-on wise, nothing I can think of. Peripherals, the only truly successful one I can think of was the Dual Shock. It took enough of the market from the original digital controller so that later games required it. Whether this counts I'm not sure as although it came 3 years after the PSX launched, it was bundled as standard with the console from late-1998 on.

it actually makes no mention of the PS2, only the original PSX and also the date should give the context (PS2 was still several years in the future in 1998 which is when I said the Dual Shock became standard issue. From 1995-1998 the Playstation was bundled with either a Digital Pad or Analogue (no rumble) pad.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 14:32
Wrong, as I told you it's 50 gig, straight from the horse's (or donkey? ZING!) mouth (http://www.blu-ray.com/info/). I don't mind the generalisations so much, but have to correct this. It's an easy mistake to make, but let's straighten it out.

J T never doubt the Jedi I do my research
The horses mouth you got that from was infected with foot in mouth :)

Panasonic are taking advantage blu ray disk buy adding multiple layers to the blue ray disk this enables them to make capacity 100gig the first ones to be released by panasonic will be the 100 Gig blue ray
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/panasonic-says-that-its-100gb-blu-ray-discs-will-last-a-century/

J T
6th August 2007, 14:48
J T never doubt the Jedi I do my research
The horses mouth you got that from was infected with foot in mouth :)

Panasonic are taking advantage blu ray disk buy adding multiple layers to the blue ray disk this enables them to make capacity 100gig the first ones to be released by panasonic will be the 100 Gig blue ray
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/panasonic-says-that-its-100gb-blu-ray-discs-will-last-a-century/

I see that they have been working an a 100GB disc, but adding extra layers will at first be very very expensive, possibly unfeasible, depending on how much storage the market at the time requires. Does this relate to the PS3? As yet, I don't really think so.

How much data can you fit on a Blu-ray disc?

A single-layer disc can hold 25GB.
A dual-layer disc can hold 50GB.

To ensure that the Blu-ray Disc format is easily extendable (future-proof) it also includes support for multi-layer discs, which should allow the storage capacity to be increased to 100GB-200GB (25GB per layer) in the future simply by adding more layers to the discs.

Still a tad short of the 500GB point. Also, will the players become more flaky when having to deal with more layers? Could a home recorder ever be able to resolve that sort of detail (if a recordable/re-recordable disc with that many layers could even be made reproducibly reliable, at a reasonable price)?

It may well be good for industry use, but overkill (especially price wise) for the home market. Technical one-upmanship is all very well and good, driving forward innovations and all that, but it has to be a balance with what people actually need and (possibly more importantly) are willing to pay for. There's a lot more to making a success of something than simply having the biggest numbers.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 14:49

J T The horses mouth you got that from was infected with foot in mouth :)
never doubt your friend the Blue Jedi I do my research I am right.

Panasonic are taking advantage of the blu ray disk buy adding multiple layers to the blue ray disk this enables them to make the blu ray disk capacity 4x the standard 50 Gig to an awsome 100 Gig disk. Panasonics 4x dual layer 100 Gig blu ray disks will be relased and if popular. Panasonic have ven said the Blu ray disk can be layered many times and it is not yet know how many times it is capable of being layered Panasonic even have a 20x dual layerd 500 Gig disk in the works and and double that if the 100 Gig panasonic Blu ray disks become popular.

There are also blu ray players with 500gig hard drives but dont get them confused its toatly different to what i am talking about.

Go to this link to see the panasonic blu ray 100 gig disk anouncment.

I will look for the link on the 500 gig and higher disks because its intresting to read.

Hope this has excited you its the whole reason why harddrives are so cheap know because we can use blue ray disks to store stuff on aswell.

J T
6th August 2007, 15:00
[QUOTE=J T;9542]
I will look for the link on the 500 gig and higher disks because its intresting to read.

Hope this has excited you its the whole reason why harddrives are so cheap know because we can use blue ray disks to store stuff on aswell.

Something like this (from an ultra brief google), perchance? (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/06/one_terabyte_on_a_rugular_dvd/) This has got absolutely nothing to do with gaming, be it PS3, X360 or whatever, it is interesting but right now not really relevant to this discussion.

BD recorders are hellishly expensive, I very much doubt that this is why HDDs are getting cheaper. In fact, the trend is that they have always gotten larger, and cheaper per byte - from years and years ago. Nothing to do with Blu-ray at all.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 15:19
Its true the possiblitys of blu ray mean we can use the disks as storage and with the panasonics massive 100 gig tblu ray and 500 gig and double itds forced Hard drive prices to come down because already pc owners are getting blu ray drives so they can use the blu ray disks for storage and they are also getting blue ray hard drives.

You can buy a segate 500 gig external hardrive now for about £45 and 2 of them for under £100.

J T
6th August 2007, 15:51
Hard drives would be getting bigger, and cheaper regardless of Blu-ray or HD-DVD, tape backups, CD-Rs or DD floppies.

They always have done, and will continue to do so. For that I am glad.

Submeg
6th August 2007, 16:04
Could you imagine a 1TB Blu-Ray! man that would be cool.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 16:30
Could you imagine a 1TB Blu-Ray! man that would be cool.

If Panasonics 4x dual layered 100 gig Blu-ray disk is popular then Panasonic promise that they will release the 500gig and 1TB blu-ray disk.

Panasonic said it is possible to keep increasing the dual layering of blue ray disks beyond 1TB but they belive the 100 gig disks are going to last ages.

Panasonic are even trying out quad layed Blu-Rays but they wont be relaseing those for ages.

For games the 10 gig dual layered DVDs are more than enougth. The PS3's 50 gig blu-ray disks are to big for developers because they dont make games over 10 gig and thats why microsoft dident bother.

The the real reason PS3 has a 50 gig Blu-rays is for the HD movies not games.

AlexJ
6th August 2007, 16:40
Except Resistance... took up 23GB. Oh and a normal Dual Layer DVD is about 8 and a half GB not 10.

Sharingan
6th August 2007, 18:16
Except Resistance... took up 23GB. Oh and a normal Dual Layer DVD is about 8 and a half GB not 10.

I'm sure someone's going to make a retort along the lines of "Insomniac Games sucks ... if it had been Microsoft developing Resistance, they would've found a way to cram 23GB into a 10GB DVD lolz."

Any time now.

Just because developers are finding 10GB enough for games NOW doesn't say anything about the situation a year down the road. Even a 5-year old can see how the relatively small amount of storage space of a DVD could potentially be a limiting factor in the development of future games. Remember how 15 years ago, games with 880KB worth of data were considered huge? Remember how a couple of years ago CD-ROMs (700 MB) were still 'plenty' of storage space? Then 4.7GB DVDs became the standard.

Going by the increase in storage space needed over the past years, even a dimwit could figure out that this trend isn't going to suddenly stop. Even some of the more recent PS2 games pushed the 4.7GB barrier; so yes, I could see current-generation games passing the 10GB mark easily. Actually, they already have - see AlexJ's example.

If more storage space (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) opens up possibilities for bigger game worlds, more game content, more speech, better music and more FMV movies, without compromising on quality, how the F**K can anyone find anything negative to say about that? Seriously, what the hell.

"No, I don't want that quadcore 8GHz PC with 32GB of RAM and nVidia 9800GTX video card, because I don't have any games that make use of its potential right now."

Does that sound wrong to anyone, or is it just me? Apple Macintosh fans need not react, obviously.

Blue Jedi
6th August 2007, 19:09

Oh no not again omg: :doh::

ALEX

Your wrong again you wally resistance fall of man only had 4.5 GB game.

Your one of millions of PS3 fan boys that has been brain washed by sony hook line and sinker. All because of the now infamous Resistance fall of man 22GB Blu-ray marketing scam.

If you type "Resistance Fall of man disk space" as a search you will get millions of results explaning how Insomniac added 17.75 of unessasary padding files.

Resistance: Fall of Man was billed to be the defining game for why Blu-ray exists in the first place. Resistance developers Insomniac stated that the game took up 22 GB of space and that all those bits and bytes were necessary to make the game work.

A gamer exsposed Insomniac and unveild by ripping the disk in Linux shows otherwise.

A NeoGAF forum member by the name of squatingyeti who is now world famous posted a long list of padding files on the Resistance disk; the padding took up approximately 17.75GB of space. Padding is frequently used to push data to the outer edges of the disk to improve read times, but Blu-ray is supposed to be a constant read over the entire disk.

This was then investigated buy the gaming governing bodys and confirmation in a report proved that the actual game only used 4.5GB

And it proved that 81% of Resistance is just empty filler and the actual game itself was only 4.5GB and could fit on a single-layer DVD.

This has put a hole in Sony's claim that Blu-ray is absolutely necessary this generation.

The 17.75GB padding was not needed to make the read speeds any better and is a lame way for Sony to justify Blu-ray for gaming.

Sony and Insomniac are going court soon because of this and it could cost sony millions.

Doh

Also a normal xbox 360 dual layer DVD is 9.5 GB but microsoft said that the xbox 360 hybrid DVD's can be increased to up to 60GB by dual layering if needed.

AlexJ
6th August 2007, 19:37

Oh no not again omg: :doh::

ALEX

Your wrong again you wally resistance fall of man only had 4.5 GB game.

Your one of millions of PS3 fan boys that has been brain washed by sony hook line and sinker. All because of the now infamous Resistance fall of man 22GB Blu-ray marketing scam.

If you type "Resistance Fall of man disk space" as a search you will get millions of results explaning how Insomniac added 17.75 of unessasary padding files.

Resistance: Fall of Man was billed to be the defining game for why Blu-ray exists in the first place. Resistance developers Insomniac stated that the game took up 22 GB of space and that all those bits and bytes were necessary to make the game work.

A gamer exsposed Insomniac and unveild by ripping the disk in Linux shows otherwise.

A NeoGAF forum member by the name of squatingyeti who is now world famous posted a long list of padding files on the Resistance disk; the padding took up approximately 17.75GB of space. Padding is frequently used to push data to the outer edges of the disk to improve read times, but Blu-ray is supposed to be a constant read over the entire disk.

This was then investigated buy the gaming governing bodys and confirmation in a report proved that the actual game only used 4.5GB

And it proved that 81% of Resistance is just empty filler and the actual game itself was only 4.5GB and could fit on a single-layer DVD.

This has put a hole in Sony's claim that Blu-ray is absolutely necessary this generation.

The 17.75GB padding was not needed to make the read speeds any better and is a lame way for Sony to justify Blu-ray for gaming.

Sony and Insomniac are going court soon because of this and it could cost sony millions.

Haha! Taken to court for padding their discs? Who's prosecuting them? The 'games governing body'? Who's that then?

I typed "Resistance Fall of man disk space" into Google and it returned 2 results. Both forums where they were talking about it using 22GB. All I've found are a few reputable sources giving the 22GB figure (IGN (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/729/729630p4.html), MTV (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1539078/20060821/index.jhtml?headlines=true)) The Wikipedia entry gives it as 16GB stating that it was reduced from 22GB because the video files could be converted effectively from NTSC to PAL by the console without having to have two separate encoding. Yeah it could all be low compression on the graphics and sounds. My fact (22GB of the disc space is used) stands.

Teho
6th August 2007, 22:58
The Wikipedia article on Resistance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance:_Fall_of_Man#Storage) actually says the game is 16GB. It was supposed to be 22GB, but Insomniac decided to remove the NTSC movies from it because the PS3 can just convert the PAL ones on the fly anyway, so they were unnecessary. Say what you want about Wikipedia, but if there were some real controversy about the storage space the game uses, it would've been mentioned there. They love stuff like that.

As for other size related things, The Darkness was made to fit on a DVD9, but the PS3 version utilizes the extra space available for a lot of extra content. Mainly movies and TV-shows that can be viewed on TVs in the game. There are several entire movies and entire seasons of TV-shows on there. For example, early on in the game the main character sits down with his girlfriend to watch To Kill A Mockingbird on TV. According to the plot, the next thing you should do is walk over to the phone and call somebody, but you can sit there and watch that entire movie first if you feel so inclined. Things like that.

Then there's also the recent news from Rockstar (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=80485), that one of their next titles will be PS3 exclusive because only it has the hardware for what they're planning to do. They still haven't released any more details around that, just that newsbit.

Harrison
7th August 2007, 02:15
I don't access the forum for a weekend and I miss all the excitement! :lol:

First lets clear a few things up....

Harddrive sizes and pricing have nothing to do with optical media. Harddrives reduce in price over time because technology moves forward. The biggest factor for the cost of an HD is the amount of data that can be fitted onto each platter of an HD. The more you can fot per square inch the less platters you need in a harddrive and so less platters means cheaper manufacturing. And large HDs are dropping this year because of the change in particle polarisation techniques now being used on the disc surface meaning a lot more data can now be fitted on the platters.

Now to Blu-Ray. Yes in a couple of labs engineers have managed to successfully fit 400GB onto a Blu-Ray disc. But it must be stressed that this is a single lab experiment and not a commercial venture. The PS3 is fitted with a standard Blu-Ray drive capable of reading 25GB single layer and 50GB dual layer blu-ray discs and this will not change during the life of the PS3. Once hardware goes to market it remains set for the life of the console.

Now to HD-DVD and the Xbox 360. The add-on drive for the 360 is exclusively for movies, and Microsoft recently confirmed that the drive will not ever be used for games. Therefore the 360 is stuck with the standard DVD drive. And BLue Jedi, the Xbox 360 drive is not some special different drive, it is a standard off the shelf DVD drive as you would find in any PC. So it will only hold 4.3GB single layer and 8.5GB dual layer. No more.

And I strongly disagree regarding your claims that games developers are struggling to fill even normal DVD. Why are some PC games released on DVD9 discs if the developers cannot even fill single layer DVD5 discs? And some games even come on 2 discs now. The big increase in file sizes will especially come with HD video clips used within the development of games. HD files are on average 4 times bigger than standard definition video. Therefore they take up a lot more room. Also texture maps within the games now need to be much higher resolution and bigger in dimensions for HD sizes resolutions. This all takes up much more space and therefore developers will easily find ways to use all of the space available on a Blu-Ray disc.

The problem the Xbox 360 has is that once developers start to utilise the large storage space of the Blu-Ray discs for in game quality, if the same game then gets releases on the Xbox 360 the developer is going to have to reduce the quality of the in game graphics and possibly the video sequences too so that it all fits on the DVD media. This is definitely not a good thing.

Blue Jedi
7th August 2007, 15:58
I don't access the forum for a weekend and I miss all the excitement! :lol:

First lets clear a few things up....

Harddrive sizes and pricing have nothing to do with optical media. Harddrives reduce in price over time because technology moves forward. The biggest factor for the cost of an HD is the amount of data that can be fitted onto each platter of an HD. The more you can fot per square inch the less platters you need in a harddrive and so less platters means cheaper manufacturing. And large HDs are dropping this year because of the change in particle polarisation techniques now being used on the disc surface meaning a lot more data can now be fitted on the platters.

Now to Blu-Ray. Yes in a couple of labs engineers have managed to successfully fit 400GB onto a Blu-Ray disc. But it must be stressed that this is a single lab experiment and not a commercial venture. The PS3 is fitted with a standard Blu-Ray drive capable of reading 25GB single layer and 50GB dual layer blu-ray discs and this will not change during the life of the PS3. Once hardware goes to market it remains set for the life of the console.

Now to HD-DVD and the Xbox 360. The add-on drive for the 360 is exclusively for movies, and Microsoft recently confirmed that the drive will not ever be used for games. Therefore the 360 is stuck with the standard DVD drive. And BLue Jedi, the Xbox 360 drive is not some special different drive, it is a standard off the shelf DVD drive as you would find in any PC. So it will only hold 4.3GB single layer and 8.5GB dual layer. No more.

And I strongly disagree regarding your claims that games developers are struggling to fill even normal DVD. Why are some PC games released on DVD9 discs if the developers cannot even fill single layer DVD5 discs? And some games even come on 2 discs now. The big increase in file sizes will especially come with HD video clips used within the development of games. HD files are on average 4 times bigger than standard definition video. Therefore they take up a lot more room. Also texture maps within the games now need to be much higher resolution and bigger in dimensions for HD sizes resolutions. This all takes up much more space and therefore developers will easily find ways to use all of the space available on a Blu-Ray disc.

The problem the Xbox 360 has is that once developers start to utilise the large storage space of the Blu-Ray discs for in game quality, if the same game then gets releases on the Xbox 360 the developer is going to have to reduce the quality of the in game graphics and possibly the video sequences too so that it all fits on the DVD media. This is definitely not a good thing.

I still belive its because of blu-ray disks tremendous storage capacity that has caused prices to reduce but it could also be down to many other reasons.

What ever happens Panasonics new dual layered and Quad layered Blu-rays of 100 gig and 500 gig and double that and even higher are going to be awsome.

The Xbox 360 dual layer DVD's actually have 9.5 gig of space to be precise.

However Micorsofts are working on a newer Xbox 360 Hybrid Dual layered DVD Disc just for use on the 360 and it can hold up to 60 gig but they wont release it because it is unlikely we need more than 10 gig for the current next gen consoles and.

Devlopers have stated that the current next gen consoles wont need more than 10 gig let alone 50 or 60 gigs developers dont have time and unless they spend a few years making one game its not going to happen because developers are expected to release a sequel every year. Not only that it would take gamers to long to complete a game.

Whatever happens if we do get games of 50-60 gig it would be value for money.

Unless developers are going to add 17.5 gig of padding files to a 4.5 gig Resistance fall of man to max up the disks to 22 gig then I dont rekon it will happen either.

Ouch sory Sony that was a low blow:elefant::elefant::elefant:

Harrison
7th August 2007, 16:05
Padding a disc with dummy files is a long held technique to push data either into the centre of a disc or out to the edge (depending on how the machine's drive works). This is a very common practice on Dreamcast discs to make then load quicker. It isn't illegal and has been used for a long time so isn't really anything to get worked up about.

As for the actual percentage of any current game's disc being used, does that really matter? The PS3 has only just come out so it's first wave of games are less likely to utilise the full size of the Blu-Ray media and none need to use dual layer media yet, but this will change.

Wait until all of the RPGs currently in development for the PS3 start to appear. Then you will see what the extra storage space can deliver. Trust me, once this happens the Xbox 360's 8.5GB storage size will become a problem for developers trying to achieve similar results on the Xbox 360.

AlexJ
7th August 2007, 16:17
Remember when the PS2 first came out, some of it's games still used CD's. However today practically all it's games come on a DVD.

As Harrison says, the extra space will definately come into play when the RPG's start getting released. These usually do take several years to make. I can also see features such as 5.1 channel sound (or better), multiple language voice tracks etc. making use of some of the space.

Harrison
7th August 2007, 16:27
I still belive its because of blu-ray disks tremendous storage capacity that has caused prices to reduce but it could also be down to many other reasons.Nope. It has nothing to do with it. Optical removable storage and fixed storage are two different markets that share no technology (other than spinning on circular media). Prices of each media dropping is due to technological advances in their respective fields reducing manufacturing costs through cheaper manufacturing techniques.

Any new technology such as Blu-Ray drives and media will always be expensive at release due to the technology being new and knowledge of it's manufacturer being limited. As will all things in life, as knowledge is gained through use and development, cheaper solutions are found to reduce cost, and larger manufacturer in bulk brings cost down as demand rises. It is the nature of industry.

What ever happens Panasonics new dual layered and Quad layered Blu-rays of 100 gig and 500 gig and double that and even higher are going to be awsome.I can guarantee you will not see these in general use any time soon. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are the current next generation fixed optical storage media in the market place now. Releasing an updated larger capacity format that is not 100% compatible with existing players and drives is commercial suicide as it brings into play proprietary technology required to access the media. Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD were invented as generic formats to be able to handle the great file size demands of HD video and 25-50GB is deemed as being more than large enough for this format.[/quote]

The only area you may see larger storage based on multi layer Blu-Ray is in the business sector, and this will be purely for backup purposes and mass storage. I very much doubt that any larger capacity hybrid versions of Blu-Ray will ever be seen in this generation for the home user. Especially not in with the Xbox or PS3. Their hardware specs are both set in stone. Altering them now would alienate an existing userbase.

The Xbox 360 dual layer DVD's actually have 9.5 gig of space to be precise. The Xbox 360 uses a standard DVD drive. Dual layer DVDs can only hold 8.5GB of data. No more. You might be getting the 9.5GB figure from the fact that some manufacturers quote capacity sizes based on unformatted disc space, rather than the space available to actually hold the data.

However Micorsofts are working on a newer Xbox 360 Hybrid Dual layered DVD Disc just for use on the 360 and it can hold up to 60 gig but they wont release it because it is unlikely we need more than 10 gig for the current next gen consoles and. Links please?

Devlopers have stated that the current next gen consoles wont need more than 10 gig let alone 50 or 60 gigs developers dont have time and unless they spend a few years making one game its not going to happen because developers are expected to release a sequel every year. Not only that it would take gamers to long to complete a game.I only need mention one thing. High definition video! Video game code will never need to use more than a few GBs at most for the actual code, and other files. The larger files sizes, as I'm mentioned before, will come from the high definition video needed to make the games look their best. Games on the PS2 already contained a few hours of pre-rendered video and later games easily used the full space available on the PS2's DVD drive, often requiring some games to be released on DVD9 media. So if the PS2 developers were already running out of space on the PS2's using standard resolution video quality, imagine how much more space they will need for high definition quality video of the same length? The Xbox 360 only has the same media storage space as the PS2. Not good. And that is a fact!

Whatever happens if we do get games of 50-60 gig it would be value for money.[/quote]

Unless developers are going to add 17.5 gig of padding files to a 4.5 gig Resistance fall of man to max up the disks to 22 gig then I dont rekon it will happen either.

Ouch sory Sony that was a low blow:elefant::elefant::elefant:What does that have to do with Sony? Games are developed by games developers and released by games publishers. Where does Sony come into it? The way a disc is formatted and it's contents laid out comes down to the developers of the game, not the manufacturer of the console. Have you not read of how developers utilise hardware by exploiting everything to get the most out of it? This is all the technique of padding is on a disc.

ps. This forum has a spell checker built in. Any chance you could start using it?

Sharingan
7th August 2007, 16:30
I doubt anything you say is going to change Blue Jedi's views and opinions, and his general negative attitude towards Sony. You'd think Sony set fire to his home, robbed his bank account AND ran over his pet dog twice to deserve the intense hate I see here.

So yeah, let's all bow down to Microsoft and worship them like the second comings of Jesus Christ. They're the saviours, and can do no wrong! Obviously, they're magicians too, because they can magically make bog-standard DVD drives suddenly be able to read 60GB discs. Wait, while they're at it, mayhap they can increase the storage capacity of my floppy disc drive by 60GB too? That would be, ya know, awsome.

Did someone mention anything about 'brain washing' earlier in the thread?

Blue Jedi
7th August 2007, 16:48
Padding a disc with dummy files is a long held technique to push data either into the centre of a disc or out to the edge (depending on how the machine's drive works). This is a very common practice on Dreamcast discs to make then load quicker. It isn't illegal and has been used for a long time so isn't really anything to get worked up about.

As for the actual percentage of any current game's disc being used, does that really matter? The PS3 has only just come out so it's first wave of games are less likely to utilise the full size of the Blu-Ray media and none need to use dual layer media yet, but this will change.

Wait until all of the RPGs currently in development for the PS3 start to appear. Then you will see what the extra storage space can deliver. Trust me, once this happens the Xbox 360's 8.5GB storage size will become a problem for developers trying to achieve similar results on the Xbox 360.

That is one of the reasons why Padding files can be added dreamcast used them for loading times not fraud.

And insominacs would not need 17.5 gigs worth of dud padding files for a 4.5 gig game.

The reason why there is such a big deal being made about how insomniac added 17.5gig of padding files to a 4.5 gig of actual game is because it was not there for making the game run quicker.

The game was surpose to be 22 gig of actual playable game content and in fact its been found that the files were unesassay padding files.

These padding files were dud padding files that were added at sonys request just to fill space to max the game to 22gig. These files would not of speeded the game up and the game itself is only 4.5 gig and did not push the boundrys of graphics.

The game was sold on the basis that there is 22gig of playable game content and in fact there was only 4.5 gig Insomniac and Sony will be facing haevy fines.

Resistance Fall of man will be Sonys most Exspensive game of all time they were sued for using a cathederal without permision and now they are to be inverstigated and could be sued big for this.

You got to laugth.

Resistance fall of man is good though.

Sharingan
7th August 2007, 16:49
To get back on topic (you wouldn't believe it, but once this thread was being used for 'PS3 Price Drop' discussion, before someone began derailing it with inane offtopic drivel):

The first shops have been sighted offering the same Starter Pack (PS3 + 2 games + extra controller) for € 550. Someone even managed to haggle an extra PS3 DVD/BR remote out of the deal, so apparently, retailers are still maintaining a profit margin even at this price point.

Blue Jedi
7th August 2007, 16:54
Asda have dropped the price of PS3 from £425 to £400 in Asda, If you dont know Asda it also called Wallmart.

I have a PS3 but I am getting board of it at the moment and I fancy a WII some of the games look awsome especially Endless Ocean and Fishing Master.

One game I garuntee will definately make use of more disk space is Final Fantasy XIII and the sequel to it.

Final Fantasy XIII is going to be awsome.

Sharigan Qoute (I doubt anything you say is going to change Blue Jedi's views and opinions, and his general negative attitude towards Sony. You'd think Sony set fire to his home, robbed his bank account AND ran over his pet dog twice to deserve the intense hate I see here).

Actually I am a PS fan thats just bitter and angry because spent £425 at launch on a PS3 then had to buy a game and regreted it every since because I have had 2 PS3 burn out and replaced and I am on my 3rd already.

It would be an undestatement to say I have a negative attude towards sony, Value for money yea right I think not. Sony deserve intense hate for how they have treated loyal gamers.

Harrison
7th August 2007, 17:07
The first shops have been sighted offering the same Starter Pack (PS3 + 2 games + extra controller) for € 550. Someone even managed to haggle an extra PS3 DVD/BR remote out of the deal, so apparently, retailers are still maintaining a profit margin even at this price point.

Everything is negotiable. We just tend to accept shop prices at face value and pay them. With some bargaining you can often knock down prices. It especially works if you are buying more than one item together and paying cash for them as the shop then has no bank fees to pay for credit card or cheque transactions.

Blue Jedi
7th August 2007, 17:19

Everything is negotiable. We just tend to accept shop prices at face value and pay them. With some bargaining you can often knock down prices. It especially works if you are buying more than one item together and paying cash for them as the shop then has no bank fees to pay for credit card or cheque transactions.

I got my PS3 with cash.

AlexJ
7th August 2007, 19:29
The game was sold on the basis that there is 22gig of playable game content and in fact there was only 4.5 gig Insomniac and Sony will be facing haevy fines.

Resistance Fall of man will be Sonys most Exspensive game of all time they were sued for using a cathederal without permision and now they are to be inverstigated and could be sued big for this.

Sony were (to the best of my knowledge) not sued for using a 'cathederal' (sic) without permission, the copyright in the design of the building would had expired hundreds of years ago so it's in the public domain. They did apologise to the church for not notifying them first but they hadn't actually done anything wrong.

The games industry is for the most part self-regulating, so I'm not sure who exactly will be 'inverstigating and suing' (sic) Sony for the legal act of adding extra files onto a disc.

Harrison
8th August 2007, 11:24
It was more just a moral issue from the churches perspective than anything else. Depicting violence and death within a future depiction of a house of god.

As you say, there is little they could actually do legally against Sony and the developers of the game as the building is many hundreds of years old and a key landmark in the area. It was more an exercise by the church to voice their opposition to such uses to the media.

If anything had been done legally to remove its depiction from the game then this would of had huge repercussions within the gaming industry because it would then brought into question the legality of using any real locations within gaming worlds. Even something as simple as the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower would be brought into question. Something that would be silly as this would then also hit the movie and photography industries.

v85rawdeal
8th August 2007, 13:20
:owned: My Head Hurts!!! :owned:

Sharingan
8th August 2007, 13:39
Mine does too.

Harrison, stop posting stuff that actually makes sense, damnit.

Harrison
8th August 2007, 13:56
:lol: I will try to make more things up in future without first thinking about them. :thumbs:

Submeg
8th August 2007, 14:07
Yes more stupidity! Haha! I think that quota has been filled :dry: by me! :p

Demon Cleaner
8th August 2007, 14:49
The POTM of August still hasn't been opened?

Harrison
8th August 2007, 15:19
Nope. I've been very busy last couple of days. I will try to get it updated before I have to leave today.

Blue Jedi
8th August 2007, 17:50

Sony were (to the best of my knowledge) not sued for using a 'cathederal' (sic) without permission, the copyright in the design of the building would had expired hundreds of years ago so it's in the public domain. They did apologise to the church for not notifying them first but they hadn't actually done anything wrong.

The games industry is for the most part self-regulating, so I'm not sure who exactly will be 'inverstigating and suing' (sic) Sony for the legal act of adding extra files onto a disc.

Sony have removed Resistance fall of man from retail because of it and if they put resistance fall of man back on the shelfs they will will be sued within months.

Its a good game and games should have real locations it makes them more realistic.

Does know any other shops that sell PS3 cheaper than ASDA because they are selling them for £400.

AlexJ
8th August 2007, 19:29
Sony have removed Resistance fall of man from retail because of it and if they put resistance fall of man back on the shelfs they will will be sued within months.

Nope, it was still on display in when I had a look around Game in town earlier, and it's still top of the weekly ELSPA PS3 sales chart.

Does know any other shops that sell PS3 cheaper than ASDA because they are selling them for £400.

Game had them for £425, but for your extra £25 they threw in 3 games and an extra Sixaxis controller. As you have to get at least 1 game, the Asda one works out at £430-£440 so this is cheaper and you get another two games and a controller.

Sharingan
8th August 2007, 19:42

Maybe Sony recalled Resistance in your fantasy world, but it's still in the shops over here. In fact, I read somewhere that the incident with the cathredal actually boosted the game's sales. Nothing like free publicity.

Apparently, copies of Resistance are also recently being included in the Starter Bundle all over the world. So much for Sony being afraid of legal action, eh? :thumbs:

Blue Jedi
8th August 2007, 20:53
It was not a fantasy world Sony agreed to stop selling resistance fall of man and if they dont they will be sued.

Sony agreed and I was also wondering why Resistance fall of man is still in shops as welll and when I did some more reading on it appparently Sony have given them a few million to shut them up.

I dont know what all the fuss is about its a good game.

Any one know were the cheapest PS3 is.

AlexJ
8th August 2007, 23:00
I was not a fantasy world Sony agreed to stop selling resistance fall of man and if they dont they will be sued.

Sony agreed and I was also wondering why Resistance fall of man is still in shops as welll and when I did some more reading on it appparently Sony have given them a few million to shut them up.

I thought you said the only good game was Motorstorm. Yes, that's right:

I also got a PS3 at launch and I am regreting getting it the only aswome game out for PS3 is Motorstorm its excellent other than that there is nothing worth buying for PS3

As for the Cathedral thing, according to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6276460.stm):

"(Sony) published an apology in a city newspaper but has confirmed it will not be withdrawing the game or making any changes to it."

I think being a church, it's morals they are going on as opposed to money so I doubt Sony would be able to pay them off, and by the looks of it have no intention to either.

Blue Jedi
9th August 2007, 00:09
I was not a fantasy world Sony agreed to stop selling resistance fall of man and if they dont they will be sued.

I thought you said the only good game was Motorstorm. Yes, that's right:

I also got a PS3 at launch and I am regreting getting it the only aswome game out for PS3 is Motorstorm its excellent other than that there is nothing worth buying for PS3

As for the Cathedral thing, according to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6276460.stm):

"(Sony) published an apology in a city newspaper but has confirmed it will not be withdrawing the game or making any changes to it."

I think being a church, it's morals they are going on as opposed to money so I doubt Sony would be able to pay them off, and by the looks of it have no intention to either.

This is going off topic again.

The story on the BBC link is old its from the 6 July 2007

Sony apoligised agreed to take the game from retail then decided to put it back on retail and they will be giving them money for charity Sony are not afraid of legal action.

I said Motorstorm is an awsome game and is excellent
and I said resistance fall of man is a good game.

Awsome is alot better than good.

I prefer Gears of War it wipes the floor with Resistance fall of man Gears of war is awsome and it has some of the best game music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8

Has anyone found a PS3 cheaper than the £400 asda have it would be helpfull if we could find the cheapest for those who want one.

AlexJ
9th August 2007, 00:48
I said Motorstorm is an awsome game and is excellent
and I said resistance fall of man is a good game.

And you also said there are no games worth buying on PS3 apart from Motorstorm but you now seem to be saying that Resistance is also worth buying.

Has anyone found a PS3 cheaper than the £400 asda have it would be helpfull if we could find the cheapest for those who want one.

Yep, as I said you'd have to add a £30-£40 game with the £400 Asda one, making it £430.

Game are doing them for £425 with 3 games and an extra SixAxis.

Amazon are doing them for either £400 with 2 games, extra SixAxis and HDMI cable or £425 for 3 games, extra Sixaxis and HDMI cable.

HMV for £425 will give you 2 games, extra SixAxis and 2 Blu-Ray movies (no choice here though, it's Casino Royale & Black Hawk Down)

The best deal IMO is the Amazon £400 one. For the same price as Asda's base console you're getting £60 worth of games, a £30 controller and a £20 cable thrown in.

Harrison
9th August 2007, 02:09
Also it is not possible for a game to be Awsome. It could however be Awesome!

Sharingan
9th August 2007, 08:24

Why would anyone want a PS3 if the only game worth buying on it is MotorStorm, and everything on the Xbox 360 apparently is so much more awsome? That would be, like, misleading people into buying a crappy product. And, as opposed to depicting a cathedral in a video game, spreading misleading information IS enough grounds for legal action. Maaan, I sure don't want to risk getting sued! :thumbs:

Harrison
9th August 2007, 13:20
Amazon are doing them for either £400 with 2 games, extra SixAxis and HDMI cable or £425 for 3 games, extra Sixaxis and HDMI cable.

Where on Amazon are they doing this deal? I had a quick look and couldn't find any bundles that included games. All I could find is the console for £399 + a free HDMI cable.

Game are doing a very similar deal too. For £424.99 you get the PS3 + 3 games. But no HDMI cable for free.

I've a question about the PS3. I noticed that for standard definition TVs you can buy an RGB to scart cable. Is this identical to the existing cable for the PS2? As the PS2 and PS1 both shared the same RGB video port so was wondering if this was the same for the PS3 so the PS2 cable would work with the PS3? Would mean a good option if I get one before an HDTV.

I also noticed it is now possible to get HDMI switcher boxes, so that solves the problem that most HDTVs don't have enough HDMI ports on the back.

Blue Jedi
9th August 2007, 14:17

Where on Amazon are they doing this deal? I had a quick look and couldn't find any bundles that included games. All I could find is the console for £399 + a free HDMI cable.

Game are doing a very similar deal too. For £424.99 you get the PS3 + 3 games. But no HDMI cable for free.

I've a question about the PS3. I noticed that for standard definition TVs you can buy an RGB to scart cable. Is this identical to the existing cable for the PS2? As the PS2 and PS1 both shared the same RGB video port so was wondering if this was the same for the PS3 so the PS2 cable would work with the PS3? Would mean a good option if I get one before an HDTV.

I also noticed it is now possible to get HDMI switcher boxes, so that solves the problem that most HDTVs don't have enough HDMI ports on the back.

The PS1 and PS2 RGB or any of the other PS1 or PS2 cables dont work with the PS3 and they are not identical they dont fit in to the PS3.

The PS3 comes with a basic low quality AV scart cable that is very simular to the PS2AV one. You can by a RGB cable or a S video cable for PS3 but if you getting a 1080p HD TV then theres no point you might as well pay the extra and get a PS3 HDMI cable because theres no point in having a HD TV and not using it.

Also if you want use your PS1 and PS2 memory cards load on PS3 you will also need a Memory card reader for PS3 you probably already know that.

AlexJ
9th August 2007, 14:21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_43895865_1/026-0877825-0363623?ie=UTF8&docId=1000088283&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=special-offers-2&pf_rd_r=1V0XH17KEGA23TMHYXC7&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=148346891&pf_rd_i=B0007SV734

Choice of games are Motorstorm, Resistance, Genjii, Ridge Racer7 or F1.

Blue Jedi
9th August 2007, 14:44

Why would anyone want a PS3 if the only game worth buying on it is MotorStorm, and everything on the Xbox 360 apparently is so much more awsome? That would be, like, misleading people into buying a crappy product. And, as opposed to depicting a cathedral in a video game, spreading misleading information IS enough grounds for legal action. Maaan, I sure don't want to risk getting sued! :thumbs:

I dont want to misslead people into buying a crappy product it is just my advice because I have both Xbox 360 and PS3.

Both consoles have there good points.

Xbox 360 has alot more value for money and a hell of alot more quality games and xbox live has as much as you can eat with 1000's of free downloads.

And PS3 has Motorstorm, which for me Motorstorm is the best game on PS3 full stop Evolution studios always make a awsome game.

The PS3's best downloads are Gran Turisimo HD, Heavenly sword, Lemmings, Ruba Dub Dub with its Chlorine blue water that looks good enougth to drink.

The PS3 is good for Blu ray movies which is essential for HD TV.

Its down to the gamer which they want having both is better.

Resistance fall of man is not even that violent or offensive so why sony have got into so much trouble I dont really know.

Gears of war wipes the flaw with resistance fall of man and Gears of war is alot more gory and it features real locations and landmarks and photo realistic graphics and the hero in the game is a soldier that was put in prison for life and let out to save the world.

In Thai Land you can get a PS3 for £250-300 and PS3 is region free so it does not matter were you buy them they will play games from any contry in any language.

Harrison
9th August 2007, 14:53
Resistance fall of man is not even that violent or offensive so why sony have got into so much trouble I dont really know.

As with all things, the media get hold of a small piece of information, no matter how accurate, and turn it into something more than it really is. How else do you think the Bishop of that parish even know the building was featured in the game? I cannot imagine many PS3s taking up residence in vicarages up and down the country.

J T
9th August 2007, 14:58

MASSIVE DAMAGE! GIANT ENEMY CRAB! SOME OTHER INTERNET FAD! :p

How much are HDMI switchers? The back of out telly is pretty chocka - in fact the only input not being used is the second HDMI, but this will be filled either by a new console or better movie/DVD (maybe an HD format one) player at some point - but probably not for a while yet.

Blue Jedi
9th August 2007, 15:24

MASSIVE DAMAGE! GIANT ENEMY CRAB! SOME OTHER INTERNET FAD! :p

How much are HDMI switchers? The back of out telly is pretty chocka - in fact the only input not being used is the second HDMI, but this will be filled either by a new console or better movie/DVD (maybe an HD format one) player at some point - but probably not for a while yet.

If you have Sky and have the full pakage they are offering customers that have HD TV's a Free Sky HD box as a thank you for being loyal to Sky.
The Sky HD boxes are also great for Xbox 360 and PS3 because you can use it by switching betwen the TV and your games console in an instant.

If you dont want that then Switchers can be pricey depends on what brand you want.

Harrison
9th August 2007, 15:24
I remember the media coverage surrounding Night trap. They tried to make out that the game promoted voyeurism. Quite mad. It's amazing the media don't start stalking everyone who buys a powerful telescope or pair of binoculars!

How much are HDMI switchers?

Amazon have one for £29.99 and the buyer reviews have all said its good. It even comes with a little remote control to switch between the channels.

I have had similar problems with Scart cables over the years. My current CRT TV has 3 RGB scart sockets but that is far from enough. And why have TV manufacturers reduced the number even more? Many LCD and Plasma TVs now come with just one Scart and one HDMI port. Madness.

My current setup I have all three scart sockets on the TV in use, with one of these connected to a 6 port external scart switcher box which connects all of my consoles up, plus the S-Video socket is also being used for my PS2 (I tested RGB scart and S-Video and the S-Video looked better. Not so blurred and crisper). So it is going to be a nightmare getting everything connected up again once I switch to an HDTV. I will need to invest in some HDMI supporting equipment just so I can get everything connected!

Blue Jedi
9th August 2007, 16:22
I remember the media coverage surrounding Night trap. They tried to make out that the game promoted voyeurism. Quite mad. It's amazing the media don't start stalking everyone who buys a powerful telescope or pair of binoculars!

How much are HDMI switchers?

Amazon have one for £29.99 and the buyer reviews have all said its good. It even comes with a little remote control to switch between the channels.

I have had similar problems with Scart cables over the years. My current CRT TV has 3 RGB scart sockets but that is far from enough. And why have TV manufacturers reduced the number even more? Many LCD and Plasma TVs now come with just one Scart and one HDMI port. Madness.

My current setup I have all three scart sockets on the TV in use, with one of these connected to a 6 port external scart switcher box which connects all of my consoles up, plus the S-Video socket is also being used for my PS2 (I tested RGB scart and S-Video and the S-Video looked better. Not so blurred and crisper). So it is going to be a nightmare getting everything connected up again once I switch to an HDTV. I will need to invest in some HDMI supporting equipment just so I can get everything connected!

LCD are alot better than Plasma if you have not choosen one yet LCD would be best because Plasmas get so hot and fixed images like channel logos burn in the screen and stay for a while before fading although some Plasmas have managed to fix this.

LCDs dont have this problem and dont get hot.

My friend got giant Plasma and had it had the foot of his bed as part of his gaming set up he had to go to the doctors because his face ended up red like and burnt as if he had been near a UFO and his retanas in his eyes were burnt as well this was from the heat of the plasma.

I think LCD are better.

I have a custom made S video cable for my Mega drive and Mega CD I think S Video cables are better than RGB.

If you have Sky the SKY HD box it will help with your set up because it has features for games if you have the full sky package and a HD TV they will give you a Kys HD box for free as a thankyou.

The Sky HD box has lots of ports check out this link.
http://www.skytvcard.com/skyhdbox.htm

v85rawdeal
9th August 2007, 16:43
Does anybody have any aspirin????
:owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned:

Harrison
9th August 2007, 17:25
I noticed the other day while waiting in a cinema queue that their Samsung plasma screens displaying the film times had quite bad screen burn. It wasn't noticeable when the times were being displayed, but you could clearly see it when the pages changed.

I will definitely be getting an LCD, and not a plasma, when I eventually do buy one, as the technology has finally reached a level where LCD is now as good, if not better, than plasma on smaller screens. Obviously viewing a 60"+ Pioneer plasma still shows some impressive results!

AlexJ
9th August 2007, 17:35
My friend got giant Plasma and had it had the foot of his bed as part of his gaming set up he had to go to the doctors because his face ended up red like and burnt as if he had been near a UFO and his retanas in his eyes were burnt as well this was from the heat of the plasma.

It's recommended to sit at least 5' away from a 32"+ size screen. I'm not sure the comparison to UFO burns is of much use, to the best of our knowledge, barring conspiracy theories, there hasn't been any reports of UFO landings let alone the effects of people going near them. And burnt retinas are not caused by heat but by bright concentrated light sources (e.g. direct sunlight or laser).

Harrison
9th August 2007, 17:55
Maybe he was using a secret laser powered plasma! ;)

v85rawdeal
9th August 2007, 17:58
Or he was watching football, and went to do a header *SMASH*

Sharingan
9th August 2007, 18:11
Are you kidding? Plasma TVs are considered highly dangerous. Not only can they cause major damage to Klingon battleships, they can also vaporize Borg cubes and destroy planets, Death Star style.

If Darth Vader had a Plasma TV, the Ewoks would never have taken over the universe.

Demon Cleaner
9th August 2007, 18:54
Many LCD and Plasma TVs now come with just one Scart and one HDMI port. Madness.That's why I recently bought an HDMI switcher by Auvisio. I already had one by Joytech, which didn't support HDMI yet. This one has 4 HDMI outputs (plus 1 input), 4 scart outputs (plus 1 input), 4 optical outputs (plus 1 input) and also 2 ethernet in/outputs. And it comes with a nice remote control for about 130€.

I have the Joytech since 3 years now, and it's so easy to use, you just plug your cables (this one also had 4 optical) and chose with your remote which of the 4 channels you wanted. I never would give it away (perhaps now, as I have the Auvisio).

Auvisio HDMI switcher
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/pe4215_2_2.jpg

And my Panasonic plasma TV was also a great investment, I would never give it away. I have a generation 8 Panasonic plasma, and they recently brought the 10th generation to the market. Oz bought the same model as mine, but the 9th generation. He bought it after he saw mine in action ;)

And having it connected to a Panasonic S-97 HDMI DVD player and using 720p or 1080i is just a pure pleasure, Star Wars also looks awesome (that might interest Harrison).

And here again, for those who haven't seen it yet, my great Panasonic TV.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/092149703d.jpg

Teho
9th August 2007, 20:18
The PS1 and PS2 RGB or any of the other PS1 or PS2 cables dont work with the PS3 and they are not identical they dont fit in to the PS3.

This obviously needs to be cleared up; It is the exact same cable the PS1 and PS2 are using. I was sure about it before, but even so I just now quickly disconnected mine from my PS2 and checked that it fits in the PS3's connector, and it does indeed.

v85rawdeal
9th August 2007, 20:36

This obviously needs to be cleared up; It is the exact same cable the PS1 and PS2 are using. I was sure about it before, but even so I just now quickly disconnected mine from my PS2 and checked that it fits in the PS3's connector, and it does indeed.

Which is the main reason why half my PS2 remains in its box (as I used all the PS1 connectors) and hence, why some of my PS3 cables are still unopened. Now that's what I call recycling!!!

Teho
9th August 2007, 20:44
Now that you mention it I did the same thing for the first couple of weeks, before I got the new TV. Taking a quick look in my PS3's packaging reveals the cable that came with it, still in its little plastic bag, unopened. So I also obviously just used the PS2's cable to start with. Definitely easier to just use the cable allready there instead of stretching a new one, it seems. ;)

Harrison
10th August 2007, 02:24
Cheers for that. I was sure it must use the same connector and therefore be compatible with PS2 cables. That will save time when I do get a PS3. Well until I then get an HDTV as that will require a lot of rewiring of everything which could be a bit of a nightmare if you could see the number of wires and things wired up together.

J T
10th August 2007, 11:37
And my Panasonic plasma TV was also a great investment, I would never give it away. I have a generation 8 Panasonic plasma, and they recently brought the 10th generation to the market. Oz bought the same model as mine, but the 9th generation. He bought it after he saw mine in action ;)

And having it connected to a Panasonic S-97 HDMI DVD player and using 720p or 1080i is just a pure pleasure, Star Wars also looks awesome (that might interest Harrison).

And here again, for those who haven't seen it yet, my great Panasonic TV.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/092149703d.jpg

I have the 9th gen one too -a 37 incher- and I absolutely love that screen (the differnces betwen the 8 and the 9 were very small indeed, mostly cosmetic).

Great screens, and only had minor image retention problems, which go after a few minutes of a different channel.

Sharingan
11th August 2007, 23:44
Went to the shop today, fully intent on buying a brand spankin' new LCD HDTV, but in the end I got a 22" widescreen TFT (Samsung Syncmaster 226BW) for the PC instead. Since it had a DVI port, I thought ... why not try hooking up the PS3 to it, just to see what high def next-gen gaming is like?

So I bought a HDMI-to-DVI cable, connected everything and gave it a whirl. I wasn't disappointed ... everything looked so much more crisp and detailed ... a night and day's difference.

I don't see myself using this monitor much for PS3 gaming, since I still intend to buy a 'decent' LCD TV sometime soon, but I definitely liked what I saw!

There was this monster of a full-HD screen (there was one from Samsung and one from Sharp) in the shop, by the way, which looked absolutely wicked. At 132cm, it would be an incredible piece of hardware for a home cinema setup. Sitting at about 5m away from it, it sure did fill a big part of my field of vision. It does cost a pretty penny however (€ 3000), and likely, uses a lot of electricity.

Demon Cleaner
13th August 2007, 13:55
It does cost a pretty penny however (€ 3000), and likely, uses a lot of electricity.Watt consumption has dramatically dropped since the last years, mine takes (when switched ON) not even 200 watt, which is peanuts compared to 2-3 years ago, when a plasma still consumed 2000 watt, and imagine the heat emission.

StuKeith
13th August 2007, 14:08
I should have my Xbox360 in a couple of weeks. I got it free when upgrading my phone contract!

I could of gone for a free PS3 but the phone was crap and it was a £75 a month tariff! :o:o

Harrison
13th August 2007, 15:07
So with a £75 a month contract you would not really have been getting a free PS3 then. I suppose with the Xbox 360 they have to give them away free so M$ can still claim they are selling well. ;)

Demon Cleaner
19th September 2007, 15:26
The PS3 is now at 499.95€ at Gamefreax, a shop where I often order some stuff. That is 335£, so price already dropped. Hm, I'm getting a little excited :bounce:

Harrison
19th September 2007, 15:37
£335 is definitely a much nicer price. If it dropped to £299.99 then I bet it would suddenly start to sell very well in the UK.

Cheapest I've seen in UK at moment is at Amazon, for £399 with a HDMI cable, extra
controller & 2 games.

Demon Cleaner
25th September 2007, 13:51
Just bought one this morning for 599€ with 2 controllers (6-axis) and 2 games (Motorstorm & Resistance). Have to wait until this evening to install it.

Sharingan
25th September 2007, 15:27
Congratulations DC :)

I'm thinking of snatching up a copy of Heavenly Sword sometime soon. Folklore isn't far off from release, either (10th October).

Demon Cleaner
25th September 2007, 15:47
I will definitely grab a copy of Folklore, I saw them playing at GIGA Games TV, and it looked quite good. Perhaps I will preorder it.

Tiago
25th September 2007, 16:24
Just bought one this morning for 599€ with 2 controllers (6-axis) and 2 games (Motorstorm & Resistance). Have to wait until this evening to install it.

Will you install yellow dog linux on your ps3 ??????????????????????????? :D

Demon Cleaner
25th September 2007, 16:34
Will you install yellow dog linux on your ps3 ???????????????????????????Definitely NO!!! I don't get a PS3 to install Linux on it, I'm not crazy :lol:

Harrison
25th September 2007, 16:40
Except, you could then run emulators on it! ;)

Demon Cleaner
25th September 2007, 16:45
I'm running emulators on every system I have, do I really need to run them also from the PS3? Seriously?

Tiago
25th September 2007, 16:47
Will you install yellow dog linux on your ps3 ???????????????????????????Definitely NO!!! I don't get a PS3 to install Linux on it, I'm not crazy :lol:

Crazy ? why?
It would be an alternative S.O. it would not make any thing bad to your ps3...i think...

If you dont like linux, that's different...

Harrison
25th September 2007, 17:00
I'm running emulators on every system I have, do I really need to run them also from the PS3? Seriously?

Do I need to answer that? ;)

Demon Cleaner
26th September 2007, 00:59
I just played Motorstorm and it was a great experience, the graphics just look great and it's looking just awesome on a big plasma screen. Oz is off work for 2 weeks, but visited me for 2 hours to play some games. I also installed Gran Tursimo, the 1 track demo.

Everything is set up properly now, and it's pure fun to scroll through the different menus. When I played Motorstorm, after a race, it suddenly prompted me that a newer version is available (assuming a patch). So it installed the patch on the HD and now shows Motorstorm 2.0 in the menu, fast and easy :thumbs:

The update also went fine, I have now firmware version 1.93 installed. I still have some things to test, but most things are great so far, as is the online PS3 shop.

I didn't test Resistance yet, probably I will do that tomorrow, and check out some demos, like Heavenly Sword.

v85rawdeal
26th September 2007, 10:49
welcome to the club, DC

Time to join Clan Classicamiga.com on RFOM, methinks!!!

Demon Cleaner
26th September 2007, 11:40
welcome to the club, DC

Time to join Clan Classicamiga.com on RFOM, methinks!!!Is there already a RFOM Classicamiga clan? Who is member then? But I warn you, I suck at FPS.

v85rawdeal
26th September 2007, 12:02
That's okay, so do I...:)

I spend more time finding places to hide than I do shooting people!!!:ninja: And I am damn good at it.

However, never drop a grenade on someone who is standing right below your hiding place... It hurts!!!

Sharingan
26th September 2007, 13:56
welcome to the club, DC

Time to join Clan Classicamiga.com on RFOM, methinks!!!Is there already a RFOM Classicamiga clan? Who is member then? But I warn you, I suck at FPS.

Sucking at FPS isn't quite so dramatic when playing R:FOM, I think (I'm quite bad at them). Unlike most of the PC FPS games, R:FOM isn't quite so dependent on twitchy reflexes and uber-fast manoeuvring. So, as long as you manage to learn how to use cover well, and know which weapons to use in which situation, you should be okay.

Harrison
26th September 2007, 14:57
I play a lot of FPS games and I still suck at fast reflex multiplayer games like Team Fortress because unless you camp out in those games all day learning every trick and sniper location you have no chance. I much prefer FPS games that have a slightly slower pace giving you more time to react and enjoy the experience.

I do however still enjoy quick reflex online games. I used to love playing Quake 3 online, as the levels are not as complicated and you can just leg it around shooting each other. It's when strategy and elite teams of players camp on the servers that I find it becomes less enjoyable and more frustrating than fun.

It does sound from what I've read thatR:FOM isn't as quick reflex and much more enjoyable multiplayer which is good news.

Demon Cleaner
27th September 2007, 19:08
I downloaded the demo of Heavenly Sword yesterday, but I'm a bit disappointed. Ok, I admit, I compared it to God of War. It's testier and the enemies respawning all the time makes it very tedious. In GoW you fight off some enemies, then you can explore again, solve some puzzles and fight again. In HS, I smashed the buttons for 20 minutes straight, without a pause, still enemies respawning, and in the end, I was dead, no checkpoint, had to begin from scratch.

toomanymikes
27th September 2007, 22:36
Im a member of the R:FOM classicamiga.com clan! Just now its me and v85Rawdeal so were looking for members to bolster our numbers! Saying that I havent played it in a while cos Warhawk has taken over my PS3 - how about we start a classicamiga.com clan on that too - then the world shall quake in our presence! I need a lie down...

Demon Cleaner
27th September 2007, 22:40
I have still not tested R:FOM, how can I see that you guys from the CA clan are online? Can I join the clan only when someone is online, or also whilst offline?

v85rawdeal
27th September 2007, 22:47
What name do you use on the PSN network? I can send you an invite this saturday when I get my PS3 online for a while.

Demon Cleaner
27th September 2007, 22:51
I use Demonrecords. I had problems finding an ID, almost everything I tried was already taken. So I took the name of my PayPal business account and it worked :)

Teho
28th September 2007, 08:55
Nice to hear that you've gotten a PS3 as well now, Demon. :)

I also am not wildly excited about Heavenly Sword. It seems allright enough I guess, but according to reviews it is as you say all about fighting hordes of enemies, all the time. There's no exploring or puzzlesolving at all. Just kill a bunch of enemies, walk to next area and kill another bunch of enemies. That said it does look great at doing that, but I worry that it'll just be tedious even when knowing how short it is.

About seeing when clan buddies are onlin in Resistance, if you have them in your PSN buddy-list you can always see if they're online (and what they're playing) there. Otherwise, there is a clan-page in the game which shows if members are playing or not, and lets you form 'parties' to play in. When playing online, the game simply takes your stats and try to put you in games with people of similar skill. So you don't normally pick the games yourself, but can narrow it down to gametype, level and so on. The party function is to make sure that you and your friends aren't separated and always play together using this system. Like toomanymikes I haven't played it in a long while either though. But it is fun, you have something to look forward to there.

About Folklore, there is a demo available for download isn't there? At least there was. To be honest, I wasn't terribly impressed by it. But then again I'm not that into RPGs, though I do like the genre. And it is the first one for PS3 so I've preordered it anyway. ;)

If your're going to get any of the downloadable games, get Stardust. The others are all worth their low price too, but are much more forgettable games. Stardust is definitely all about quick reflexes and accurate shooting, and you are going to suck horribly at it to start with. It's one of those games that you just get better at if you keep at it, but always stay very challenging and is amazing fun in my opinion.

Sharingan
28th September 2007, 11:35
Yeah, Heavenly Sword isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. If you liked the mindless hack and slash of Dynasty Warriors, chances are you'll like Heavenly Sword - otherwise, steer clear. Supposedly, the storyline (though short) is very well crafted and wonderfully presented though.

Demon Cleaner
28th September 2007, 11:45
About seeing when clan buddies are onlin in Resistance, if you have them in your PSN buddy-list you can always see if they're online (and what they're playing) there.So can you post your PSN IDs here?

toomanymikes
28th September 2007, 13:19
My PS3 id is...
Toomanymikes
There was too many mikes in the world for me to have my name so thats what i came up with!

Harrison
28th September 2007, 13:52
Maybe create a pinned thread in the Next Gen Gaming forum called PS3 game IDs and then everyone can post a list of the gaming IDs for the games they play?

Demon Cleaner
28th September 2007, 13:56
Maybe create a pinned thread in the Next Gen Gaming forum called PS3 game IDs and then everyone can post a list of the gaming IDs for the games they play?Yep, will do.

J T
8th October 2007, 17:14
Mike - is that a quote from the Transformers movie in your sig?

I've been meaning to point out the typo in there for aaaaages, man.

toomanymikes
9th October 2007, 13:56
Yeah man - just noticed it myself! :rolleyes:
Balls...

Submeg
9th October 2007, 13:57
Lol, your not the only one :lol: