PDA

View Full Version : Music Swing music

Harrison
10th July 2007, 11:08
I have quite a diverse and varied musical taste and like music ranging from 60's rock, Heavy Metal, Thrash, Gothic, Scar, Alternative Indie, Classical, Jazz etc... and anything in-between. But I especially like big band music and Swing.

Does anyone else like Swing music? I especially love music from the Rat Pack era. Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Dean Martin, Paul Anka etc...

I've just discovered an Album by Paul Anka released in 2005 called Rock Swings, where he reinterprets some well known rock songs into swing and it works really well. It's worth listening to the album just to hear his versions of each song. You might think that changing songs into a different genre might destroy them, but it doesn't (if you like swing music). They sound great.

Among the songs included are "Smells like Teen Spirit" from Nirvana, "Jump" from Van Halen, "It's a Sin" from the Pet Shop Boys, It's My Life" by Bon Jovi, "Wonderwall" by Oasis, and Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven".

Demon Cleaner
10th July 2007, 14:15
:sick: now you disappoint me.

Harrison
10th July 2007, 15:24
:lol: Come on DC, you know you want to listen to some Swing music really! ;)

Submeg
11th July 2007, 00:05
Yep, love it....Jazz and Swing are quite good. I like hearing big band stuff live, so much energy!

Demon Cleaner
11th July 2007, 04:47
I can only "imagine" what swing is, reading the names you listed, but I definitely won't listen to it.

Sharingan
11th July 2007, 06:25
I wouldn't be surprised if I happen to like Swing when I get to hear it. My musical tastes are very, very diverse - I'm open to anything, really. Whereas the casual listener might burst out laughing when they - for example - hear a Japanese pop song, I can look (listen?) past the unknown language and appreciate the song for its other qualities.

If Sinatra is an example of what you mean by Swing, then yes, I can definitely appreciate that :yesyes:

If there's one genre I don't care much for, it's gangsta rap. That, and maybe the more extreme forms of heavy metal (the types that are all scream, and no substance).

Demon Cleaner
11th July 2007, 06:48
(the types that are all scream, and no substance).Evil, in league with SATAN :evil:

Submeg
11th July 2007, 07:28
Yes, I have heard some of that....I'm just like hmm, 1) Who comes up with the "lyrics" for that 2)Who listens to them....:hmmm: as long as they dont want to be friends with me :devilbanana:

Demon Cleaner
11th July 2007, 10:39
Do you talk to me Submeg?

"In league with Satan" is from on old Venom album.

Submeg
11th July 2007, 13:14
Hehe true true.....but do you run around punching people during a gig? :unsure: Those are the people I am actually talking about. Those guys freak me out

Harrison
11th July 2007, 15:21
Hehe true true.....but do you run around punching people during a gig? :unsure: Those are the people I am actually talking about. Those guys freak me out

That kind of behaviour originated with the 70's punk movement. If you watch some of the Sex Pistols live footage you will see fans headbutting each other in the face while dancing, ending in blood flying everywhere.

However normal Heavy Metal moshing (also known as slam dancing) where you are all just jumping around in a mad frenzy is great fun, although some people can take it a little too far and get violent.

I wouldn't be surprised if I happen to like Swing when I get to hear it. My musical tastes are very, very diverse - I'm open to anything, really. Whereas the casual listener might burst out laughing when they - for example - hear a Japanese pop song, I can look (listen?) past the unknown language and appreciate the song for its other qualities.

If Sinatra is an example of what you mean by Swing, then yes, I can definitely appreciate that :yesyes:

If there's one genre I don't care much for, it's gangsta rap. That, and maybe the more extreme forms of heavy metal (the types that are all scream, and no substance).

If you like Sinatra then you will know what Swing music is. And Paul Anka actually wrote some of Sinatra's songs.

And I'm with you regarding gangsta rap. That is the one type of "music???" I haven't ever been able to listen to. There have been a few rare rap songs over the years I've liked, but not more than a handful. Another I often cannot stand is modern R 'n' B, where they sing a song really well and then ruin it with an over the top gospel screeching session. It is even worse when it is covering a great song and they try to add their own style to it.