PDA

View Full Version : Worst Amiga games ever!

Puni/Void
9th July 2007, 06:23
There's always a lot of discussion concerning which games we like the most, the ones we have good memories with, and so on. This is of course interesting to discuss, but let's flip the coin, and think about the opposite; Which are the worst games you can play on the Amiga, and that should be avoided at all costs?

Demon Cleaner
9th July 2007, 07:22
There are a lot, you could at least mention about 50% of released games were crap. I come across some games which send cold shivers up and down my spine when doing screenshots. Lately I tested Bad Cat, and it was really bad.

Sharingan
9th July 2007, 08:24
Dragon's Lair, Space Ace. Obviously, the graphics were nifty, but why call them 'games' when you're only 'playing' 5% of the time, watching animation 50% of the time and waiting for those animations to load the other 45%?

If I want to view a cartoon, I'll buy a cartoon, simple as that.

Harrison
9th July 2007, 09:08
But I wouldn't personally say games like Dragon's Lair are bad, that is just the style of that type of game. Plus the Amiga version was the closest post at the time to the arcade original.

As DC said, there are a lot of really bad games released over the years, as with any format. I will have to have a think on what the worst of them are and then post them. :)

Submeg
9th July 2007, 12:27
Dragon's Lair, Space Ace. Obviously, the graphics were nifty, but why call them 'games' when you're only 'playing' 5% of the time, watching animation 50% of the time and waiting for those animations to load the other 45%?

If I want to view a cartoon, I'll buy a cartoon, simple as that.
:boxing:
:mecry:

Harrison
9th July 2007, 13:21
I think you upset him! :lol:

Sharingan
9th July 2007, 21:17
:boxing:
:mecry:

Wait! Don't tell me you're the one who made those games :whistle:

It's strange ... I've been trying to think of other Amiga titles I thought were sub-par, but I really can't think of any. I guess the fond memories are much stronger than the less fond ones.

Submeg
9th July 2007, 21:46
Na, it's just that it was the first I game I played on the Amiga.....I was four so yea, I love that game :cry:

Demon Cleaner
10th July 2007, 05:31
I love the Dragon's Lair original cabinet, or playing it with Daphne, but never liked any conversion to console or computer. Worst one has to be the C64 conversion, aaaarrrrgh!!!

Teho
10th July 2007, 10:48
Hah, I had the C64 version as well! That was genuinely horrible, but I hear that the SNES version is even worse if possible. Not tried that though.

For worst Amiga game I can never get around Rise of the Robots. To think I bought this game full-priced once. I'm never getting over it. It's still keeping me awake at nights. :(

Harrison
10th July 2007, 11:46
I remember you recounting the story well. It must have been a very sad moment in your life that scarred you deeply! ;) It was a truly terrible game.

Demon Cleaner
10th July 2007, 14:11
:lol: Teho and his RotR, it seems you had a very very sad moment in your life, but I can only agree. When I saw screenshots of that game, I was blown away, but the game itself was... well, Teho already mentioned it ;)

Harrison
10th July 2007, 15:19
I think we all remember the previews of it. I even remember the TV Gaming programs raving about it prior to release, but then when it was released they all went silent and didn't even review or mention it again. :hmmm:

Although the fact that the publisher refused to send a copy to any journalist for review may of had something to do with that!

Puni/Void
13th July 2007, 06:21
Poor Teho, but if there is any comfort in it, remember that you are not alone. There were quite a few that was ripped off by buying that game.

Blue Jedi
23rd July 2007, 15:25
For me there was no worst amiga games they were all awsome alll amiga games are awsome..

Demon Cleaner
24th July 2007, 05:31
Well, then just grab a copy of Battle Trucks and go for it, you'll tell me after if there's no bad Amiga game.

Puni/Void
24th July 2007, 08:13
Even if there are a ton of good games for the Amiga, there are those that totally sucks. I haven't played that Battle Trucks game, but from the screenshots I've seen, it looks absolutely horrible. Can't say the review inspired me to try it out either, so thanks for the warning, Demon. :D Another game that has been mentioned in this thread is of course ROTR, which was crap. Others that could be added to the list is The Last Action Hero and Cliffhanger - those didn't turn out to be good games at all, but that is of course my personal opinion.

Demon Cleaner
24th July 2007, 09:21
Others that could be added to the list is The Last Action Hero and Cliffhanger - those didn't turn out to be good games at all, but that is of course my personal opinion.Like almost all movie conversions, which we also still see nowadays. I also remember Ghostbusters and Moonwalker being total crap.

Blue Jedi
24th July 2007, 10:48
Demon Cleaner I still dont like to say there was some rubbish games on Amiga because the Amiga is awsome and it has awsome games, but there was some rubbish games like Battle Trucks and I want to join in because its fun.

I played Battle Trucks and still have it, I agree it does not look great and the controls are fiddely it was playable but there are far better racing games on the Amiga than Battle trucks and Battle trucks did not make full use of the Amigas great graphics.

One my Amiga 600 games i was dissapointed with was a movie conversion of Predator 2 it was not what I expected each time you pass a level you get treated to a slide show clips from the film that move slightly and at the end of the game you get treated to a slide show clips from the end of the film that move slightly and then the credits.

And thats it it was not as good as good a Predator on the Commodore 64 and thats what I expected.

Ghostbusters on the Amiga was not as good as the spectrum or Commodore 64 version classic. The sega Mega drive version of Ghostbusters was great, I expected Ghostbusters on the Amiga to have even better gameplay and graphics but it was not as good as the Mega drive version.

Moonwalker is one of my most favourite Mega Drive games.

I expected the Amiga version of Moonwalker to be just as good if not even better but the Amiga version of Moonwalker was badly designed and they did not make full use of the Amigas great graphics.

Rise of the robots had good graphics but it was not very good and it was on nearly all formats and it sold copies at the time because it claimed it was the first game to be able to remember your fighting moves so it can counter you it was probaly just a load of hype.

Harrison
24th July 2007, 12:29
The problem with many games that had cross platform releases, like the Mega Drive and Amiga as you mention, is that the developers tend to just develop the game on one of the platforms and then rush a conversion. This is usually the reason why many games don't look as good as they should. In the examples you mention I highly expect they were developed on the Mega Drive and then badly ported to the Amiga.

This happened often and it was a huge disappointment. But the only people left looking bad were the developers.

But none of the ports on the Amiga can be as bad as most on the Amstrad CPC. That suffered some really horrible ports as many developers were very lazy and just directly ported over Spectrum games without any changes. Very bad considering how much more powerful the CPC was.

Sharingan
24th July 2007, 15:49
Bad ports are definitely the bane of a gamer's existence.

From a businessman's standpoint, it makes sense ... no use in allocating expensive resources to build a game from the ground up: just do a sloppy port and it'll sell anyway. I'm surprised that developers don't seem to care about potential dents in their reputation by releasing such crap.

Harrison
24th July 2007, 16:15
The problem is with the Publishers, more than the developer. And quite often the Publisher will employ a different development team to port a game, so the original developer doesn't actually have any involvement in the porting process, which is bad considering they know their own product better than anyone else.

Also Publishers tend to know when they have a bad game and just release it anyway, hoping it will sell enough copies in the first week after release, before the general public get to see reviews, and get wind of how bad it really is. Rather that than lose all of the money they put into its development.

J T
25th July 2007, 09:24
I used to love the AP reviews of terrible games (Akira, International Rugby Challenge to name but two).

I can't think of any that really stand out as being truly bad but there was a lot of dross.

Oh, actually, try ThunderCats from the 10-star pack. ****ing dire.

Terrorpods was also rather baffling - could've been good but I never managed to work it out.

Sharingan
25th July 2007, 11:08
Heh ... I actually found myself quite entertained with ThunderCats :banana:

I'm easy to please :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
25th July 2007, 11:23
I'm easy to pleaseI seems so. But we'll find something bad enough for you, trust me ;)

Harrison
25th July 2007, 13:54
I actually enjoyed Thundercats too.... but it was due to a long wait for the game. I orignally had a cover tape on the CPC magazine in the 80's and had enjoyed playing the one level demo of the CPC version of the game, but not being able to afford or find anyone with the full game to "borrow" at the time. So when I eventually got an ST I "obtained" the game and quite enjoyed it, but that was in 1987 so the quality of games was quite different compared to the later 16-bit releases. Consider it a first wave game.

Blue Jedi
26th July 2007, 17:12
Thundercats was awsome.

TiredOfLife
26th July 2007, 22:15
I'm really struggling to remember a truly bad game.
Either they were all great or I need to lay off the Guinness.

Harrison
26th July 2007, 22:34
Vixen. There is one for you. Nice idea being able to transform between animal form and a girl, but as a platform game it was quite bad.

Submeg
27th July 2007, 00:33
Oh yea, that game is quite horrible.

Demon Cleaner
27th July 2007, 09:10
I played that one on the C64, horrible.

Harrison
27th July 2007, 09:40
There were also a couple of budget games I remember purchasing for the Amiga that were truly horrible.

Hellfire was the first. This was a helicopter shoot 'em up with you flying into the screen in a similar style to the Space Harrier, but in Hellfire the sprite scaling used to generate the scenery and enemies as you flew forwards was really horrible, with jerky sprite scaling and very slow framerate. This made it near impossible to play.

And the second was a car racing game from Codemasters called Nitro Boost Challenge. Horrible graphics, collision detection that was too fussy (could easily get stuck on scenery), and impossible jumps across rivers and chasms that required you to release your nitro boost at exactly the right time or you crashed and died. It's only saving grace was the music which was by Allister Brimble.

BTW, I just noticed that we have "Hellfire" on the site as "Hellfire Attack". I'm sure the in-game title just said "Hellfire". I will find the original box and double check what it's called on there. Maybe it was "Hellfire Attack" on the box and just "Hellfire" in the game. :unsure:

Sharingan
27th July 2007, 12:56
Ah ... for a second I thought you meant Nitro, the one from Psygnosis. That game was sweet ... spent a lot of time playing it with my brother.

Would you believe me if I said I was also quite entertained with Vixen? Told you, no one is more easily entertained than I am :banana:

Harrison
27th July 2007, 13:39
I have to admit that I also enjoyed playing Vixen for a short time too. I got it free bundled with some other games when i ordered a load once and it was quite entertaining, especially as I hadn't had to pay for it.

But as I've mentioned somewhere a long time ago, I think I played it more because of the cover art which featured a bikini clad Corrinne Russell. Sad I know, but in my defence I was a teenager at the time. :lol:

Blue Jedi
27th July 2007, 17:14
Some of those games you mentioned like Hellfire and Vixen were not that bad I quite liked them it depends on which version of Hellfire you mean though the one i had was very good. I had Nitro, the one from Psygnosis it was awsome.

v85rawdeal
28th July 2007, 17:15
Vixen. There is one for you. Nice idea being able to transform between animal form and a girl, but as a platform game it was quite bad.

Apparently they renamed Vixen to She-Fox in Germany, as they said that vixen had sexual connotations that they did not want to be associated with... Mind you, so does 'She-Fox' in the UK :lol:

I don't know how true this is, but I remember thinking it was hilarious when I heard about it many years ago!

TiredOfLife
28th July 2007, 17:23
And they say Germans have no sense of humour.

Submeg
28th July 2007, 22:26
crazy! :blink:

Demon Cleaner
29th July 2007, 22:37
Wichsen in german is pronounced like Vixen, and it means j.e.r.k, w.a.n.k, f.r.i.g...

Harrison
30th July 2007, 15:44
Gaming as always had a hard time in Germany, as they have some of the strongest censorship laws in the world.

We definitely need to add that bit of trivia to the Vixen page! ;)

J T
31st July 2007, 20:19
Wichsen in german is pronounced like Vixen, and it means j.e.r.k, w.a.n.k, f.r.i.g...

This is the sort of trivia that I can remember :D

Anyone play Yolanda? That was shit

Also Insanity Fight (another of the ten 'star' pack), nice graphics and even sampled speech but a rubbish game.

Harrison
31st July 2007, 20:24
Oh yes, Yolanda brings back some bad memories. The truly was a horrible looking game.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 20:39
I don't know Yolanda but had a look at some screenshots now, looks weird. And the title screen tells enough.

J T
31st July 2007, 20:53
Try it and see ;)

I played it on UAE - oddly I remembered seeing an advert for it in an old amiga mag many years ago and always waned to try. Even the advert made it look rubbish, so I wanted to try it to find out how bad it was (answer: really quite).

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 21:06
Perhaps I should do the screenshots for the main site tomorrow. Due to this thread, we'll have the worst games finished first :lol:

Harrison
31st July 2007, 22:33
:lol: That's definitely something quite mad we could lay claim to!

burns flipper
17th October 2007, 11:29
Sixth Sense Investigations (http://musicplace.screaming.net/ag/inf_com_ssi.htm).

WORST GAME EVER

The back of the box says:
"The base storyboard tells of a crazy young guy who has the ability to communicate with the spirit of a sarcastic man."

WOW, doesn't that just scream FUN GAME to you.

Harrison
17th October 2007, 16:13
I remember how much they were hyping up Sixth Sense Investigations before it's launch, and then they all went very quiet. ;)

J T
17th October 2007, 16:31
It makes me want to try it, in a sick kind of way. You really should write that walkthough, Burns. It may be cathartic - knowing that some poor sod is going to try and battle through it with your guide...... but stitch them up by making the solution to the end portion of the game wrong :evil:

burns flipper
24th October 2007, 12:02
How delicious! And then give an invalid e-mail address on the walkthrough page.

If I ever played that game again I would probably die.

Harrison
31st October 2007, 16:21
For worst Amiga game I can never get around Rise of the Robots. To think I bought this game full-priced once. I'm never getting over it. It's still keeping me awake at nights. :(

Teho, this month's Retro Gamer Magazine has a nice 5 page feature "The Making of Rise of the Robots".

Thought that might make you happy. ;)

Teho
31st October 2007, 20:37
I know, I've read it. ;) The article is actually pretty good. I started subscribing to the mag a couple of issues ago. It's great too, wish I'd done that a long time ago. Thinking about getting that DVD compilation they're offering.

Ghost
3rd November 2007, 07:21
* sigh * I wish they would also sell those magazines in stores.

Harrison
3rd November 2007, 11:22
They are in the UK. But for everyone else I think subscription is the only way to guarantee you will get it. You do however save a third off the price by subscription so it is worth it.

Puni/Void
7th November 2007, 19:05
Even if you save some cash getting a subscription, I've always preferred buying magazines directly from the newsagent. Too bad there's not much of a selection to choose from here in Norway.

I really miss those days long ago when there were plenty of Amiga magazines in the shelves and your only problem was to decide which magazine to buy. ;) When thinking about it today, that was truly a luxury problem.

Teho
7th November 2007, 21:16
Actually, it was when I spotted an issue in the shelves of a newsagent here that I was reminded of it. I'd been meaning to subscribe for ages, but kept forgetting. It's the only time I ever saw one in the shelves here though, and I use that agent all the time. So it was probably just a one-off, not something they get regularily.

Buleste
7th November 2007, 21:22
Boring fact but a guy i once knew last i heard of him (this shows how long ago i knew him) was working on the graphic design on Rise 2. Which also sucked big time.

J T
13th November 2007, 13:44
Boring fact but a guy i once knew last i heard of him (this shows how long ago i knew him) was working on the graphic design on Rise 2. Which also sucked big time.

shame you can't get his autograph or some RotR memorabilia for Teho. He loves Rise of the Robots and is always going on about it.

Harrison
13th November 2007, 14:29
:lol:

It would make such a nice Christmas present for him, and make him feel so much better while he recovers from his injury.

Teho
13th November 2007, 16:18
:D Fortunately, the finger I'm currently showing you wasn't hurt. ;)

Harrison
13th November 2007, 16:24
LMAO!

I might just have to track down that developers signature just for you now! ;)

Demon Cleaner
13th November 2007, 22:15
If you cut off your whole finger one time - considering latest injuries you had, this won't surely be long ;) - you could get a robotic one instead, calling it Rise of the Robot Finger.

Harrison
14th November 2007, 12:43
:thumbs:

J T
14th November 2007, 13:22
:thumbs:

I find this post offensive to our members that have a slightly less than full complement of digits :owned:

Harrison
14th November 2007, 14:19
:lol: I didn't even consider that when I posted. Oops! :lol:

Sharingan
14th November 2007, 14:24
So I take it that Rise of the Robots wasn't Teho's favourite game?

Or am I just stating the obvious here? :thumbs:

Teho
14th November 2007, 15:56
It wasn't anyone's favourite game (I hope!). It's just that when we talked about it sometime earlier I told the story of how I fell for all the hype, looked forward to getting it, bought the game when it came out, took it home and.. well, you can figure out the rest. And the gang here will never let me forget it.

I find this post offensive to our members that have a slightly less than full complement of digits

It's allright, as you can plainly see the smilie is holding up his left thumb, while it is the right one that I've performed some crude reduction surgery on. So no offense taken here. :)

Buleste
17th November 2007, 14:35
Rise of the Robots on ebay for 1p. Now thats a rip off.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-RISE-OF-THE-ROBOTS-AMIGA-1200-4000-BOXED_W0QQitemZ140179421602QQihZ004QQcategoryZ98929QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AlexJ
17th November 2007, 15:06
Rise of the Robots on ebay for 1p. Now thats a rip off.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-RISE-OF-THE-ROBOTS-AMIGA-1200-4000-BOXED_W0QQitemZ140179421602QQihZ004QQcategoryZ98929QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually that may just be good value, it says "Comes with everything seen in picture."

http://i13.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/bf/66/0497_1.JPG

Therefore I conclude it comes with a laptop computer, which may just make up for having to accept a copy of ROTR so 1p seems a fair price.

Buleste
17th November 2007, 15:14
Well spotted. Just noticed what looks like a fiver and some coins as well. The deal just gets better and better.

Harrison
19th November 2007, 11:55
Great find. ;) I want in on that deal. Can't get better than a laptop for 1p.

Krenzathal
24th November 2007, 13:24
I dunno if it's just me being protective over one of my favorite Games but the Amiga conversion of Final Fight was a true herd of cows indeed!

Shame, cos the graphics were pretty much spot on, but the programmers obviously never played the original! Strange cos I 'hacked' (I say hacked, there was no protection at all on it) the discs to the game and found the original arcade sound effects which were never used in the game.

Rush job and botched like a blind surgeon giving a sex change!

There are other smellers as well which I can't quite recall, but I'll post them when they come back to mind!

Oh Strider 2!

There you go!

:)

Sharingan
24th November 2007, 13:52
Heh ... I must be very easily entertained, because I enjoyed Final Fight too.

There must be something wrong with me!

You know what's scary? I might actually enjoy Rise of the Robots as well! :yesyes:

Buleste
24th November 2007, 14:04
There must be something wrong with me!

You know what's scary? I might actually enjoy Rise of the Robots as well! :yesyes:

Yes there is something wrong with you:p. And no nobody enjoys ROTR not even the Maquee De Sade.

Besides even with a laptop and some hard cash thrown in the ROTR auction is still unsold at 1p.

Submeg
24th November 2007, 22:31
Hey Sharingan!

:chair:
:evil::ninja:

Buleste
28th November 2007, 10:04
Completely off topic (i.e. ROTR bashing) but the worst game i ever bought for my Amiga was Starlord by Microprose. A space combat sim that was diabolical. I was used to microprose giving us some great games (UFO,microprose soccer, Project stealth fighter etc.) and then towards the end of the amiga's life they gave us dross luke Subwar and Starlord. Boy was i annoyed.

Merlin
3rd December 2007, 19:58
Right then, hands up all of you who actually played Hugo and enjoyed it?

That game was more pants than 22" A-line lionels with pockets in the knees....

By the way, does ROR involve a night on the curry?

Merlin

Stainy
28th December 2007, 11:00
My vote goes for..

Peter Beardsly soccer! total marmite jockeys that was!

Graham Humphrey
28th December 2007, 11:12
Peter Beardsley's Soccer... oh dear. I remember playing that once and tried to control the wrong team by accident. Problem was, when I finally figured out who I was meant to be controlling, the gameplay wasn't improved at all.

Harrison
28th December 2007, 15:52
:lol: I never even got to the stage of playing that game. I saw some screenshots in the reviews and didn't take it any further. Oh dear! There were definitely some very bad Football games released during the 80's and 90's.

Demon Cleaner
3rd January 2008, 14:33
The C64 also had a bunch of unplayable soccer games, man, I can tell, I had them all.

Zetr0
25th January 2008, 12:19
hmmmm i think the best way for me to seperate the emensive amount of games that are crap from completely spamming this board.... i will limmit it to those i actually bought...

some fantastic turkeys....

R-Type....
total f*cking let down i had tears

Captive 2
Another damn abortion of a game!!

Road Kill AGA...
oh dear..... what potential .... wasted!!!!

Stunt Car Race
I had more fun with 8bit games!

Shadow Fighter
What happend to the AI in this game... its useless!!!

lol no that wasn't all the games i bought LMAO!!! just the turkeys that i remember.

Harrison
25th January 2008, 13:08
Personally I wouldn't have considered any of those games to be the worst the Amiga had to offer. Quite the opposite for some of them.

Stunt Car Racer? For me that was an amazing game. And even better when played with two players using two linked up Amigas. Full 3D racing with jumps and tricky tracks you could fall off at any moment. Make Hard Drivin' easily feel second best.

I also really enjoyed Captive 2: Liberation on the CD32. Not sure what was so bad about that one :unsure:

But I do have to agree regarding R-Type's conversion. I could get quite far in the arcade original, but I couldn't even complete the first level from the Amiga version. Looked nice but was too hard.

Road Kill was OK in my view, but I agree it was a missed opportunity. Had so much promise and ended up like a copy of Super Sprint with weapons. Initially fun but quickly got boring. Just no real innovation. The voice over was quite cool though.

Buleste
25th January 2008, 13:24
I have to say Captive II : Liberation whilst not the worst game was not good. I remember the first time i installed it, I used all the best quality textures, watched the intro which was good and then i played the game and not long after i wiped it of fmy hard drive for something better. Full of promise but lacking in execution.

Stunt car racer was better on the C64 but still a good game so that shouldn't be anywhere near this thread.

R-Type - it's always difficult converting an arcade game to home computer and very few have been done well. Partially because you just don't get the same atmosphere in your bedroom as in an arcade and also you never run out of money playing an arcade game at home and nobody else is going to see your high score.

I never bothered with the other two as i was never into Beat em ups (except IK+) and Road Kill never floated my boat.

Harrison
25th January 2008, 13:56
you just don't get the same atmosphere in your bedroom as in an arcade and also you never run out of money playing an arcade game at home and nobody else is going to see your high score.

That is a very good point and why many arcade conversions didn't work, although equally many did for those with a lot of friends as you still had the hiscore competition between each other. Also without hiscores where would we be with our games competitions now. ;)

Network hiscore uploading is now quickly becoming more popular on current consoles. But does this revive the old days and this type of gameplay? Personally I don't think it does unless you know the real people behind the scores being uploaded. Otherwise you might as well be competing against computer generated scores playing the game offline.

Tiago
25th January 2008, 14:03
R-TYPE?
Stunt car racer ?

:o:blink:

R-Type for me is a top 20... (even if the convertion from arcade was not the best)
Stunt car racer? I sepnd so many hours playing this one, it was great....

didn't you like them Zetr0 ?

Buleste
25th January 2008, 14:05
Ah but the thing is you get the bragging value of being the best in the world if you have the best highscore on a particular game.

Harrison
25th January 2008, 14:07
True, and that in itself can become very addictive. Very much like visiting your favourite arcade machine and finding someone with a 3 letter name had beaten your highscore again! :mad: Having to beat it and get your name back at the time quickly becoming an addiction.

Zetr0
25th January 2008, 14:43
ahhh nothing like a little contravesy! (even if spelling it seems so at the moment lol)

the games i listed are the ones i bought that i really felt let down on... admittedly there are thousands worse..... but i didnt buy them ;)

so best explain myself before the lynch mob get here, and pray for leniency :o

R-Type
for much of my mis-spent youth, when not coding up a storm i would skip skool and play the arcade machines in the local bus cafe. they had R-Type... it was my life LOL... i cannot remember a day of my 14 year on this plannet that i did not play the arcade game... and i was .... a little tasty.... as one might imagine (also shinobie :D)

so what happend you think when i saved £25 hard earned pounds of paper rounds when R-Type was released hmmm ?..... you damn bet ya!!! i was stright down to spectrum plus and bought myself a copy... virtually skipping home to play it!!!!!

what do you think happened next?........

Captive 2
OMG Captive one absorbed my life... it was and in a lot of way the best game for me ever on the Amiga.... its awesomosity should reign supreme... so if ever a sequel was produce i would swap my left arm for it...... so.... another £25 quid later.... looking at all the specs... OMFG textures... 12MB holy shit! all the specs.... unbelievable....

Installed it to my 40MB hard disk..... had to delete a lot too..... and slap a load of med mods on floppy..... took a while.... but it was worth it right?

WONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man i was pissed..... it looks, plays and feels a horrid mess of a game... if there ever was a game in it..... another £25 quid through special reserver up the spout :(

Stunt Car racer
I blame my brother for this one.... claiming it was awesome on his ST... fantastic riding on walls with jumps and net-workable 2 player.....

god it was just to slow.... its not Frames per second but Seconds per frame... its truely poor in the speed on an unexpanded A500.... (mind you not as bad as days of thunder.... that truely sucked) it lacked the £16 price tag to be honest... it doesnt feel like it flows... and the sound is an atrocity to ones ears.

Harrison
25th January 2008, 15:20
I suppose everything is objective and personal taste. It is just the Stunt Car Racer is a very much loved game for many Amiga and ST fans around the world. Me included.

I don't remember it having such slow frame rates. They were obviously not up to modern standards but it was very playable from what I remember. I do agree that the sound was a little grating, buy liking industrial metal probably just made it appeal to me even more! :lol:

I think it also took advantage of 1MB if found so probably didn't have such low framerates.

As for R-Type. I can see why you were so disappointed with the Amiga version after being so addicted to the arcade original. There just wasn't any comparison. Would have been better off seller your right arm for a SNES as that version was much better.

And Captive 2. I only played the CD32 version and it run without issue on there and I really enjoyed the game. Were there more problems for the A1200 version? Did the CD32 version take advantage of the Akiko chip for texture mapping?

Now there is something that should have been included in the A1200. The Akiko chip!

However I do agree that the original Captive was much better. That and Hired Guns.

Buleste
25th January 2008, 15:28
Liberation worked fine even on a stock 1200. Just so much anticipation as the installing of the textures took ages and in the end the game was IMO crap, dull, all textures and no content.

Demon Cleaner
29th January 2008, 15:23
I think that f.ex. Bubble Bobble had a good conversion on the Amiga, I played it a lot, and it was far easier than the Arcade version.

I also quite liked Roadkill, but I only played it when doing the screenshots some time ago, never played in my life before. But I thought it was ok.

Harrison
29th January 2008, 17:03
I think with a game like Roadkill it all depends what expectations you have before first playing it. If you know the style of game then I think most people will enjoy it, but if you were anticipating it for some time and believing all the hype then it might have easily disappointed.

Buleste
1st February 2008, 10:40
Just thought of a terrible game. Puzzlebobs, A game that requires lots of hard disk space, requires a graphics card and a fast Amiga. Unfortunately I've seen better graphics on a C64. The only reason you need a graphics card is for the background pictures which are on the whole crap and could easily be done on a stock A500. Its a perfect example as to why the Amiga games market is dead.

TiredOfLife
6th February 2008, 10:48
This must be the only time anyone ever has slagged of Stunt Car Racer, it's like slagging of Sensible Soccer.

R-Type is a great game.
In fact I suggest we play it after Deluxe Galaga comp has ended.

HoverSprint, by CodeMasters I think.

You had this hovercraft (Well that is what it was supposed to be, didn't look like one)
and you were supposed to race around a track.

It took two days to get any speed and you would be just as successful using your feet as your hands with the joystick.

Your little craft just constantly bounced of one side of the track to the other, each time bringing your speed back to zero.

Also made a noise like a Netto own brand vacuum cleaner.

It's the only commercial game I have that has had disk failure.

I think it might have committed suicide out of embarrassment.

burns flipper
6th February 2008, 13:23
NOW, thanks to the WONDER of the INTERNET, I am able to bring to YOU, MY TRUSTED FRIENDS, a thing of BEAUTY and MAGIC.

Presenting, for the first time...Sixth Sense Investigations: The Movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pCGofgcFWw)

Now you too can experience the utter, utter mundanity of the voice acting, the puzzles devised by monkeys, and the soul-destroying ending.

See if, as I did, you feel the following emotions whilst watching:

After 1 minute: "Wow, lovely graphics!"
After 2 minutes: "That voice acting is annoying"
After 3 minutes: "Feeling dizzy. Feel faint."
After 4 minutes: "Must...stop...video.........can't...move...hand......"
After 1 HOUR: "I feel like the Man in Black from The Princess Bride, on the life-sucking machine!! I'M 25 YEARS OLDER!!"
After 1 hour 4 minutes: "I WISH I HAD NEVER BEEN BORN"
After 2 HOURS 5 MINUTES: "I have a new appreciation for Purpose in Life. It does not include playing this again."

Now you can SHARE IN MY PAIN.

Enjoy.

Graham Humphrey
6th February 2008, 14:42
This must be the only time anyone ever has slagged of Stunt Car Racer.

I'll join in with that too - it bored me so much I pretty much lost the will to live.

Buleste
6th February 2008, 14:58
I prefered SCR on the C64 as it was ground breaking for that machine but it's still a good game. However after watching that Sixth Sense there is new contender for worst game or at least worst voiceover. It's either a cure for insomnia or an experiment in how to cause psychopathic tendencies in "normal" people.

roger
8th February 2008, 23:27
Rat Race sucks worse than any game has ever sucked!

http://eager.back2roots.org/SSHOT/R/ratrace.png

TiredOfLife
10th February 2008, 06:16
Hadn't heard of that one.
i think the screen shots say it all though.
It looks horrendous.

Buleste
10th February 2008, 14:35
I'm beginning to think we might have a new winner in The Three Stooges. Music is awfull graphics are o.k and gameplay is non existent.

Buleste
11th February 2008, 10:22
I've been so inspired? by the Three Stooges i've written a review on the main site.

Harrison
12th February 2008, 16:47
Received the images. :thumbs: Will add them in later no that I'm back on broadband!!!

Puni/Void
12th February 2008, 19:48
Was Three Stooges that bad? Can't wait to read the review. Will have a look right away. :cool:

Buleste
12th February 2008, 20:30
It's the worse game i've ever played. you have very little to no control over what you're doing and for a game thats based around humour it is totally devoid of it. I was thinking about giving the lastability a 10 only because you will never complete it because you'll get so sick of it you'll burn the HDD that the disk images are on. Satan actually promoted everyone involved with this game because of the evil it has caused.

Buleste
18th June 2008, 12:14
I've found a game that stinks more than Three Stooges. It's called Kang-Fu. I've written quite a scathing review but the overall score of 1 is generous. This is truely a terrible game and all those involved with it should be euthenaised for the good of the planet.

burns flipper
18th June 2008, 13:17
Is that the one that came free on the PFS CD?

Buleste
18th June 2008, 13:25
Thats the one btu it was also released commercially. It sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harrison
18th June 2008, 13:27
Was it also available on 8-bit systems. I'm sure I had a game of the same name on the CPC464 and it was truly dire.

Buleste
18th June 2008, 13:49
I don't know about the CPC464 but for your displeasure i've done all the screenshots i can stand and put them on the main site. Marvel at the lack of artistic talent shown in the main game. The lack of animation in the screenshots make the game look better than it is. When things are moving they look worse.

Harrison
18th June 2008, 14:10
I will promote your review to editors review in a moment. I don't think I ever played the game on the Amiga, and from you thoughts I don't think I will be either. :lol:

Buleste
18th June 2008, 14:18
Another soul saved from eternal damnation. My work here is done.:)

Harrison
18th June 2008, 15:12
Oh... I bet out of the rest of the 4000+ Amiga games you will find some more really bad turkeys to add to this thread. ;)

Puni/Void
21st June 2008, 12:18
:lol: I remember reading about Kang-Fu in some Amiga magazine and it actually got an OK review. Pretty funny as most other mags slagged it off as total crap. Guess some editors was desperate at the time, due to the lack of new quality releases. :( Can't remember which mag it was though. Will see if I can find out.

Buleste
21st June 2008, 12:28
Thay actually post the score at the start of the game and i nearly wet myseld when i saw the scores. Hopefully whoever game the game good scores has been deemed unemployable by every publisher in the world and then locked away in a nice padded cell with a long sleeved jacket that ties around the back.

PiAnt
1st November 2008, 06:42
At least most of the games mentioned actually had something happening, Flight Path 737, on the other hand, didn't even have that.

To say it stank would be insulting to pongy whiffs.

khaxzan
2nd December 2008, 19:25
Ok, I'm back. Happy Harrison?

kidding. :p

What was the one where these sprites had a horn for a nose, and jumped on squares on a pyramid? Remember this? and you had to jump diagonaly, horizontally and zig-zag just to get away from the monsters. It's an old game.

Demon Cleaner
2nd December 2008, 20:35
QBert? I liked the game on the C64.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/qbert.gif

khaxzan
2nd December 2008, 22:20
QBert!!!!!!!! arrr that's what it was called! :fool:

Man, it's been years and I couldn't think of the title for the life of me.

Harrison
3rd December 2008, 00:03
Qbert is one of my favourite arcade games. :) The Amiga version was pretty good, but you can't beat the arcade original.

khaxzan
3rd December 2008, 14:28
True. :)

I saw some 3-d yesturday of qbert... nah.. just not the same.