PDA

View Full Version : Most people online???

Submeg
29th June 2007, 11:20
" Most users ever online was 51, Yesterday at 09:16 AM. "

WHOA! That's a lot!:D

Harrison
29th June 2007, 14:04
Some of those would have been search bots but it definitely is a good increase in numbers. :)

Puni/Void
29th June 2007, 14:12
Not bad at all! Let's hope some of the visitors start registring at the forum. We've got plenty of interesting topics going on right now, which should make it tempting. Fingers crossed!

Submeg
30th June 2007, 02:25
That is the prob, got to get ppl to post. For ex., how do you get points to play in the arcade? Is it by just reading posts or do you have to post?

Harrison
30th June 2007, 04:41
Both earn you points.

Submeg
30th June 2007, 10:05
Hmm...there has to be some incentive to post rather than just reading....Because once you start, there is no stopping!!

Stephen Coates
30th June 2007, 10:51
The best incentive to post, is for the person to have a problem to post about, or to have an answer to someone's question, or to have a comment on something which someone else has posted.

And if they have none of those, then they won't post.

I really don't see what other 'incentives' there can be to post.

TiredOfLife
1st July 2007, 08:56
Ste is probably right.
I started posting in forums when I had a few problems and needed help.
Caught the bug that way.
Can't really see how you can entice someone into posting if they are not up for it.

Submeg
1st July 2007, 13:55
It just seems strange that there are some ppl and then register and read the posts, but never post. Very strange....I registered on this other forum, but as of yet, I havent gotten any music equipment, but still I post in the off topic section. There's always something going on there.

Stephen Coates
1st July 2007, 15:30
Some people might only be interested in reading though.

I have been on forums where I have only read some posts, and either never or rarely posted.

And I have come accross plenty on people on amiga.org who saythat they have been reading the forums for a long time but have either never registered or posted in the past.

TiredOfLife
1st July 2007, 15:50
There seems to a be a fair bit of that recently on Amiga.org, people comming out of the woodwork after along period of lurking to post.
Don't know whay's woken them up now though.
Something to look into maybe.
Something we can replicate here perhaps.

Stephen Coates
1st July 2007, 21:39
Maybe they were getting so desperate for a new amiga and so confused about everyone taking each other to court over new amiga products not being made properly.

Sharingan
2nd July 2007, 09:10
Looks like the record has already been broken? :)

"Most users ever online was 53, 30th June 2007 at 06:53 PM."

Harrison
2nd July 2007, 11:41
That's great. May it continue to increase :) And welcome to the forum Sharingan. Nice to see another new member. :thumbs:

I've seen many posts on other boards where the member states "long time member, finally decided to attempt first post" or something similar. I actually think that many people are unsure about forums and have never posted on them before, thinking there is some special way of having to post that worries them.

AlexJ
2nd July 2007, 12:19
I think it's more down to the fact that generally on forums, there's regulars that post on there and know each other and it would appear slightly daunting to a new member that he needs to break into this circle. That and the fear of asking a question and being given a hostile "Read the FAQ" or "Do a search" answer (something which does not happen here, I should point out)

Stephen Coates
2nd July 2007, 12:49
I think it's more down to the fact that generally on forums, there's regulars that post on there and know each other and it would appear slightly daunting to a new member that he needs to break into this circle. That and the fear of asking a question and being given a hostile "Read the FAQ" or "Do a search" answer (something which does not happen here, I should point out)

That is true.

And I have come across plenty of forums where the rules mostly consist of read the faq and search.

I don't think I am currently a member at any sites like that any more.

Harrison
2nd July 2007, 12:58
I hate forums like that and consider it quite rude to just post the answer "read the FAQ!" or "use the search". If they bother posting a reply why not actually post something useful for the member needing help?

Sharingan
2nd July 2007, 13:48
And welcome to the forum Sharingan. Nice to see another new member.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Aye, this is likely the biggest reason why newcomers are afraid to post in the first place. Fear of making a fool of oneself among the established crowd, and thus, 'blowing their chance' of ever being able to fit in.

Most often, this fear is unjustified, but I've encountered quite a few forums where newcomers were ripped apart verbally for saying something the forum veterans considered n00bish, or asking a question that's (god forbid!) been asked before.

Another reason for the reluctance to start posting is when a forum seems to have very little activity - it's always more inviting to participate in a place where quick and frequent feedback is guaranteed.

How to fix this?

There's probably no easy answer, save for keeping the atmosphere friendly and encouraging existing active users to keep posting interesting topics. Out of personal experience, I know that making a community succesful is one of the toughest things. But, if one can manage it - it's gotta be one of the most satisfying things!

TiredOfLife
2nd July 2007, 13:49
That is a possibilty.
There are some people with a dodgy attitude on some forums.
They usually get shouted down by people with a more relaxed attitude.
Still, could be off putting to some people.

Stephen Coates
2nd July 2007, 15:11
I hate forums like that and consider it quite rude to just post the answer "read the FAQ!" or "use the search". If they bother posting a reply why not actually post something useful for the member needing help?

Totally agree.

Even if someone doesn't know the exact answer or doesn't have time to write a suitable answer, they could at least point the person in the right direction, maybe by linking to some older topics which maybe of use (which the newbie might not have read), because as we all know very well, the topic title never gives a perfect indication as to what the content of the topic is.

And even if those topics have been read by the newbie prior to posting, it is still better than just saying 'search!'

Although at classicamiga in the past we coudn;t just tell users to search anyway, as they would be completely baffled then, due to the lack of a working search engine on the old forum :D

Teho
2nd July 2007, 15:45
There's probably no easy answer, save for keeping the atmosphere friendly and encouraging existing active users to keep posting interesting topics. Out of personal experience, I know that making a community succesful is one of the toughest things. But, if one can manage it - it's gotta be one of the most satisfying things!

Well, this particular community, allthough small, has been going pretty steadily for four years now. Longer if you include the time we hung out at the GameFAQs Amiga board. And in my opinion we haven't degraded to elitism or anything like that, and are still a pretty friendly and helpful bunch. So I think it is very likely that it'll stay that way for a long while yet. :)

The real problem is as mentioned that there aren't that many of us here in this little paradise of ours. And the chant "oh-how-do-we-get-more-people-to-post" is one that you hear again and again on most boards, with far bigger communities than ours. But I can't say I've seen any really good solutions anywhere either.

J T
2nd July 2007, 16:42
Oh man, I missed all the excitement, what with the most number of users online AND the opportunity to yell "omfgz read teh faq n0ob" in a mildly humourous way.

Balls.

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:19
Lol. Nice. Well looks like I will be on here a lot more, considering my life just fell apart

Demon Cleaner
2nd July 2007, 22:23
considering my life just fell apartWhat do you mean?

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:25
Basically, my gf got really pissed off with me yesterday, she though a situation that has arisen before was going to happen again, and she just started yelling at me, I understand why, but basically it's all ****ed. We are on a 'break' who knows what's going to happen. I miss her so much already, feels like my insides have been ripped out

Demon Cleaner
2nd July 2007, 22:36
Well that's always bad, I always hated it when it happened to me, that's why since the last years I'm single and only "get" gf's for 1-2 months (or even less). But I think that I'm also a bit older than you, choosing this way for me to live.

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:38
Yea Im at a loss right now, I didn't know it was going to happen, everything seemed ok. But hopefully things will work out, just needs some space, I'll just leave her alone for the time being.

Demon Cleaner
2nd July 2007, 22:41
You'll have to let her a little time to get her thoughts together, and tomorrow is another day. Don't precipitate things and be in a rush.

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:43
Yea I know, I just want to work it out, but I know if I went over there right now, it would be alot worse. But I will have to see her soon, I have her ID card, so she needs it back

TiredOfLife
2nd July 2007, 23:01
Yes, I agree, don't be in too much of a rush.
Give her chance to cool down and think things through properly for herself.
Arguing the toss when she is still worked up and possibly a bit irrational will just stir things up and inflame the situation.
Good luck mate.

Puni/Void
3rd July 2007, 06:05
Good luck from me as well, Submeg! Hope everything will be allright.

J T
3rd July 2007, 06:07
Sorry to hear that dude, hope it all works out in the end.

Submeg
3rd July 2007, 09:20
Cheers people. I went for a long walk today (4 hrs) and it cleared my head. I just want to talk to her so much, it's really hard

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 11:16
I think we have all been through those emotions at some point and know exactly what you are feeling. Hope you can work things out.

Sharingan
3rd July 2007, 11:43
Good luck Submeg. I hope it'll work out okay.

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 13:27
I went for a long walk today (4 hrs) and it cleared my head.I always did the same thing, and it really helps, only thing is that you mull over the same thing over and over again. And it's damn hard not being able to talk to her, or waiting for the time to do so. I'm with you mate ;)

Submeg
3rd July 2007, 23:06
Yea, I think I will walk again today. I don't find myself thinking when I'm walking, I'll prob take my camera and take photos for the site. I will prob message her tomorrow, as I have Japanese, I usually see her after that so if she wants to see me, she has 2 housrs to decide.

Submeg
15th July 2007, 14:56
" Most users ever online was 67, 3rd July 2007 at 06:44 AM. "

:thumbs:

Oh and btw, we worked things out, things have gotten back to the way they were, we are much happier now seeing as things have been discussed :)

Puni/Void
15th July 2007, 16:40
Glad to hear that it worked out well for you, Submeg! :)

Demon Cleaner
15th July 2007, 16:40
Glad to hear, and as you see, the waiting may be the hardest part, but sometimes it's worth it.

TiredOfLife
15th July 2007, 22:31
Sound mate.
They say patience is a virtue.
Personally, I just think it something hard to come by.
The more you need it the harder it is to be patient.
Glad it all worked out for you.

Submeg
15th July 2007, 22:34
I guess so, but still was a pain, dont feel like doing that again...