PDA

View Full Version : GrimGrimoire

Demon Cleaner
28th June 2007, 15:41
I just found a little gem for the PS2. It's a new kind of strategy game. It's hard to explain how it exactly works, that would take too long, so I'll post the link to the Gamspot review here.

Gamespot review (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/strategy/grimgrimoire/index.html?tag=result;title;0)

Harrison
28th June 2007, 16:38
Looks interesting. Will have to try that.

Sharingan
4th July 2007, 10:05
Hmm ... didn't even know of this game, but now that I've read the preview for it, I'm itching to give it a try. Doesn't look like a European release is planned anytime soon, though.

Harrison
4th July 2007, 10:19
Just download the US release ;)

Sharingan
4th July 2007, 10:34
I would, if I'd ever bothered to get my PS2 modded :)

I'm (almost) proud to say that I've never pirated anything on the PS2. Heh ... maybe I'm seeing the light, finally.

Harrison
4th July 2007, 10:49
I wouldn't chip any system if the games were all released and available in Europe. Sadly most of the best RPGs and many other games never get further than the US. For this reason I chipped my PS2 so I wouldn't miss out on some of the great RPGs. There are just so many that never made it to the UK.

In contrast I never chipped my Xbox or Gamecube as pretty much all the great titles were released here.

Demon Cleaner
4th July 2007, 14:00
So do you actually buy games?

Harrison
4th July 2007, 14:07
Of course I do. What do you take me for! ;) :lol:

I do tend to download most first though and test them out, but then buy the really good ones. Mostly these tend to be PC games so I have full access to online features and updates but I do also purchase the really god console games too.

Sharingan
5th July 2007, 10:17
I've missed tons of games that never saw an official release here in Europe.

Xenogears was one game I would've loved to play. A lot of the RPGs published by Nippon Ichi never saw the light of day here either. Then there's the billions of titles that only got published in Japan.

So do you actually buy games?

You don't? :)

Sometimes, it's nice to have the original packaging, manual and the shiny disc sitting in the bookshelf. I have a little over 80 PS2 originals, maybe half that for the PSX. They sure cost a fortune, but well ... when you start working fulltime, the things that seemed impossible to afford back then don't seem quite so bad now.

Harrison
5th July 2007, 10:34
Xenogears and the Xenosaga trilogy is one of the best series on the Playstation and highly worth playing. It is probably worth chipping your PS2 just to play them! There are other series such as Shin Megami Tensei, Atelier Iris, Full Metal Alchemist, Shining Force etc... as well as a load of standalone games that never saw a European release.

Demon Cleaner
5th July 2007, 13:40
I'm half through Xenogears, but haven't played it for 3-4 years now, and have sure a lot of others to play first.

Here is a list of the RPGs I have, and it's always upadted --> RPG list (http://forum.classicamiga.com/showthread.php?t=206)

I also played the Xenosaga trilogy, and it's really good. Only episode 2 has a less good battle system, but is still good, both others are very good. And if you begin to play, begin with episode 1, otherwise you won't understand the story, which is already very complex (I suppose you don't begin watching Star Wars episode V if you haven't seen any other yet).

Sharingan
5th July 2007, 13:52
- Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia
- Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
- Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
- Dawn of Mana
- Dark Cloud 2
- Disgaea
- Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
- Front Mission 4
- Full Metal Alchemist 2: Curse of the Crimson Elixir
- Full Metal Alchemist and the broken Angel
- Grandia 2
- Grandia 3
- Grandia Xtreme
- Growlanser Generations
- La Pucelle Tactics
- Legaia 2: Dual Saga
- Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
- Makai Kingdom
- Musashi Samurai Legend
- Okage: Shadow King
- Phantom Brave
- Radiata Stories
- Rogue Galaxy
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms X
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI
- Romancing Saga
- Shadow Hearts
- Shadow Hearts 3: From the New World
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
- Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1
- Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
- Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
- Shining Force EXA
- Shining Force Neo
- Shining Tears
- Stella Deus: The Gateway of Eternity
- Suikoden Tactics
- Tales of Legendia
- Tales of the Abyss
- Tsugunai: Atonment
- Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
- Wild Arms 3
- Wild Arms 4
- Wild Arms: Alter Code F (remake/update of the original PSX Wild Arms)
- Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille zur Macht

One word: GIEV!!!!!!111eleven

Harrison
5th July 2007, 14:59
I also now have all games on that list (after much searching and downloading) and still haven't played a lot of them beyond a few hours to just see what they were like and if they worked OK.

I'm also currently trying to find many of the games I listed in the Japanese RPG list. I probably won't be able to play most as I cannot understand or read any Japanese, but it will be fun trying! :lol:

Submeg
6th July 2007, 15:43
You could use a translation site on the net?

Harrison
6th July 2007, 15:46
Oh I will use translation guides if I think some of the games are interesting enough, but I still have hundreds of English games to play first! :lol:

Maybe by the time I actually come to play them (many years into the future) some nice fans of the games will have actually translated them for me! ;) (as they now have for many of the old Japanese only SNES and Genesis titles).

Submeg
6th July 2007, 15:53
Hehe, sounds like a plan :thumbs:

Ghost
16th November 2007, 13:59
Hello all,

I saw this game for sale yesterday at a big store here for 30 Euros.
Is it any good?

Demon Cleaner
16th November 2007, 14:31
It's pretty good, has its own unique style which makes it different to other games in that genre.

Sharingan
16th November 2007, 16:06
Yeah, I got it too. The artwork is really nice, definitely a step up from most other games with anime-style art. RTS in 2D will take some getting used to, but I found the game to be imaginative, accessible and fun.

Harrison
16th November 2007, 16:40
It definitely takes a bit of time to get used to the platform like 2D nature of this RTS. In a way it reminded me of the CD32 game Diggers, only very different! It is a good game, although if there is one thing that lets it down it is the linear story which drags on at the start before you even get chance to do anything.

Ghost
16th November 2007, 19:20
It definitely takes a bit of time to get used to the platform like 2D nature of this RTS. In a way it reminded me of the CD32 game Diggers, only very different! It is a good game, although if there is one thing that lets it down it is the linear story which drags on at the start before you even get chance to do anything.

Hello Harrison,

What is your experience of the game?