PDA

View Full Version : Rain

Stephen Coates
26th June 2007, 09:25
Just wondering, did anyone get affected much by yesterday's rain?

I got soaked on my way back from school, and had to go back to school half an hour later. Luckily it wasn't raining as much then.

It appears that half the town, as well as alot of the nearby Sheffield is flodded, and doesn't have electricity.

I live quite high up though so we didn't get flooded and it is quite now though. I'm going to go and have a look at the flodding later, although it will be a long walk, as they have closed the interchange and stopped all busses and trains.

Harrison
26th June 2007, 10:25
It was raining here all weekend from Friday and it didn't stop until Monday this week. It was very heavy but we didn't have any really bad flooding where I live. I did hear on the radio that some roads were closed and I think there was some flooding in some areas, but I didn't see any myself.

They said on the radio that we had over 80mm of rain on Sunday!

If you do can you take some pictures of the flooding so we can see?

Demon Cleaner
26th June 2007, 10:34
It was raining here all weekend from Friday and it didn't stop until Monday this week.Same in Luxembourg. Flooding is only across the German border, where we have some greater rivers that spill over.

Harrison
26th June 2007, 11:05
They have just had Rotherham on the news, and it does look quite bad! Sky news said that the Ulley Dam in South Yorkshire could fail and burst and the houses in the area have been evacuated.

Are you close to that Dam Steve?

Three people have also been killed in that area due to the flooding so quite bad.

Here is the main article on Sky (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1272256,00.html?f=rss) about this, including images and video footage of the flooding.

Puni/Void
26th June 2007, 19:42
Hope all of you guys that are living in England and Wales are ok. I was truly stunned while reading articles and checking out reports on the TV (we got Sky and BBC). It's amazing that so much water can pour down from the sky in such short amount of time. :(

Also hope they will get the problems in Sheffield another control. The situation sounds pretty bad. :(

TiredOfLife
26th June 2007, 20:02
Just watched a news special.
They are still concerned that the dam go break under the pressure.
More rain is forcast for the weekend.
The place is a mess.
You still ok where you are Ste?

Stephen Coates
26th June 2007, 20:15
Both Calendar (ITV) and Look north (BBC) dedicated the whole programmes to the floods.

I'm not sure how close to ulley I am but it isn't very far away. If the dam does fall down I won't be affected by it.

I took some photographs which can be found here:

http://www.emaculation.com/steve/flood

Demon Cleaner
26th June 2007, 20:39
They even showed a short report on our luxembourgish TV channel, and also mentioned the dam and the people having to evacuate.

AlexJ
26th June 2007, 23:26
It's weird because we've had nothing of the sort - it's been mostly dry here for the last week or so.

Harrison
26th June 2007, 23:40
That river definitely looks pretty high in those pictures Steve. Was all that stuff stuck in the railing in the last picture from watch washing through them? It sort of looks like some of it is tied on.

We definitely didn't get that much water here, although it did rain a lot. Maybe the drainage and type of ground/rock is different here.

Stephen Coates
27th June 2007, 09:45
There was lots of mud on the floor, so I guess the river did put a load of dirt in the fence, although there are strange people around who like leaving litter themselves.

J T
2nd July 2007, 20:43
It's been pretty wet here but no flooding. Surprising really, as it often seems that London grinds to a halt over the smallest of things - but even the bombs and stuff haven't really caused much of a problem, well, not for my journey anyway.

TiredOfLife
2nd July 2007, 23:28
It's been raining all day on and off in Merseyside.
Just been battering it down about ten mins ago.
Is the weather any better in S Yorks?

Stephen Coates
3rd July 2007, 11:05
It was nice for a while yesterday, but it had been rainging on and off.

It is raining at the moment.

Puni/Void
3rd July 2007, 18:48
Raining here as well, which it has for the last days. According to the weather forecast, Saturday and Sunday should be nice. Hopefully enough sun so one can go to the beach. :)

TiredOfLife
3rd July 2007, 18:54
Bounced down again this morning.
Thunder and lightning as well.
Been pretty dry for most of the day after that though.

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 19:00
I think today it hasn't stopped raining for one minute here.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 23:33
It has continued to rain every day here too. It was nicer last Sunday but it did still rain a bit and wasn't very sunny. Today we had thunder storms and lots of rain.

I heard something interesting today. It now seems that scientists are certain that a Tsunami will hit New York at some point in the future, and they believe that this is now a fact and not a prediction due to their monitoring of the changes to the sea level and currents in that area.

AlexJ
3rd July 2007, 23:42
Was nice here today. Not blazing sunshine, but nice enough to be outside. Rain on it's way again though from tommorrow until Sunday if the weather guys are to be believed.