PDA

View Full Version : Programming on the Amiga

Puni/Void
24th June 2007, 14:13
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any of you have any experience of programming on the Amiga? If yes, what kind of languages have you used, and what kind of stuff have you made?
If you have released something like a utility, a game, a demo, or something else, it would be great if you could post a link or tell us about it.

Teho
24th June 2007, 23:02
Closest I ever got to programming something was simple editing or creating startup-sequences. I used to put my favourite programs on one floppy, and create a rough menu with the startup-sequence and the "ECHO" command. I remember I used to look at startup-sequences on other disks and try to figure out how they worked and what the commands within did. Learned alot about AmigaDOS that way, but never got into serious programming.

Kind of regret that now actually.

Harrison
25th June 2007, 14:20
I also used to fiddle around with the startup-sequence, creating disks that booted to a boot menu to select different files to load. I did this a lot for animations I had created, so I had auto-booting disks that enabled you to select from the different animations to load.

I also used Arexx a bit, but not that much. Was useful for some tasks.

As for actual programming. I did learn STOS on the Atari ST and created a few basic things with it, and then moved over to AMOS and started to learn a bit of that, but never got that far or created anything that great. More just playing around for fun.

I knew BBC basic and the basic from the Amstrad CPC so tend to find it quite easy to pick up any BASIC languages. But I never really coding anything beyond mucking about on the Amiga. Hisoft basic was another I played around with, and I did learn the Helm language to create some multimedia presentations.

I've actually learnt more programming since the Amiga days, mainly multimedia and web based. I know Lingo, the Macromedia Directory language, as I use that a lot for my work, coding multimedia projects for corporate presentations and kiosk style CDs. And I know Flash Action Script quite well, but not enough to be able to code something like a full game, more just for interactive control of presentations and animation. I also know web languages/scripting code such as html, xhtml, CSS, xml, PHP, patTemplate, MySQL and some DHTML (javascript). And some ASP, and VBA (although I hate VB). I also know some C++ and Java, although not enough to code something of my own, more just to edit existing code.

Other stuff I know such as Telnet and Apache isn't really coding.

Stephen Coates
25th June 2007, 22:13
I've never done any programming on the Amiga.

I do edit startup sequences, but only because I need to for a programme to load. I am getting used to how they work.

Only other programming I do is a little bit of HTML and a little bit of BBC BASIC.

TiredOfLife
26th June 2007, 20:09
No, never bothered.
Strange really as I used to do a lot with my 64 using Basic.

Harrison
26th June 2007, 23:31
I think the difference is that with most 8bit systems you were presented with a commandline prompt at startup so it was instantly possible to quickly start coding in basic, and having to control the system with text based commands meant users were more inclined to learn the system commands and then move on to basic programming.

With the 16-bit era this was suddenly gone and you mostly began each session with a WIMP based OS frontend and had to load third party applications to get the ability to code anything, something that I remember feeling quite alien the first time I ever used a 16-bit machine. I sat puzzled, wondering how to get to a command prompt so I could code some basic. Did anyone else experience that?

The first for me was the Acorn Archimedes in the 80's and I remember having to get the system manual to look up how to input basic and discovering you had to load a bbc basic utility from one of the system disks.

TiredOfLife
27th June 2007, 00:03
I think you have hit the nail on the head.
Because it wasn't in my face when I switched on my machine, I was never motivated to do any programming.

Stephen Coates
27th June 2007, 09:42
I suppose with the old systems, it is just something you HAVE to do. If you don't at least learn a few simple commands, you will have trouble using the machine, and making your own programmes in BASIC can be part of the fun of using the machine.

Whereas with modern computers, there is already a piece of software for just about everything. I wouldn't have a clue where to start programming windows.

I would like to do some programming on the Amiga sometime, but I would at least like to finish getting through my BBC BASIC book first :)

Puni/Void
27th June 2007, 15:53
If get a good grasp on BBC BASIC Steve, I'm sure you'll find languages such as AMOS and Blitz Basic excellent to get into. Not only will you have the more ordinary commands at your disposal, but you'll have access to a wide range of extra commands as well.

I'm thinking about looking a bit more into Blitz Basic now the coming months. Even if AMOS is great for my needs, Blitz is a bit more updated and it supports AGA without the need of running extensions.

Harrison
27th June 2007, 16:05
Blitz Basic is also available on the PC so learning it on the Amiga means you can also code something on the PC later too which is an added bonus.

And learning BBC Basic first is a great idea for anyone. It is a very complete and easy to learn language that forms a good understanding of general programming principles and logic and makes learning any further languages much easier.

Stephen Coates
27th June 2007, 16:36
I hope so.

Well, it'll certianly help with learning other BASICs.

The man I went to see at college say that BASIC isn't that good. Although I suppose it really depends on what you want to do. He did say that we will be doing some Z80 and 68000 assembler during the course :)

AlexJ
27th June 2007, 16:38
I've used Blitz on the PC quite a bit, should really give it a go on the Amiga sometime.

Harrison
27th June 2007, 17:07
Saying Basic isn't that good always annoys me. As I said above, it contains all of the fundamentals to get starting with programming and teaches the basic structure of coding. Everyone needs to start somewhere and learn the basics of coding.

Basic is known as a high level programming language. This means that the code needs to be interpreted by the language parser and converted on the fly to work with the OS and then the hardware.

A language such as Assembler is known as a low level language because it doesn't need to be passed through a parser and converted when run, because when coded you compile it into machine code that runs natively on the system OS and hardware. This is why many people say such things.

Personally I think that learning assembly language isn't really that useful these days. Learning C++ is the best for application programming once you have a grasp of basic. It can be compiled to machine code level and runs well (Windows and most other OS's including workbench are coding using it for example). And learning C++ makes picking up further portable languages such as Java or web languages such as PHP much easier.

Puni/Void
27th June 2007, 22:15
I agree about Assembler. It is a known fact that people today have powerful hardware. It is no point spending ages in front of your screen trying to sort out 2.5 million bugs anymore, just to get that extra speed. Although, if one is active on older machines like the Amiga, Assembler is worth it in my eyes. On modern PC's, you can easily get by with using Blitz or Dark Basic, C or something similar.

Totally bullshit that BASIC isn't good. It all depends on what one needs it for, and also what you can get out of it. It is a good way to learn programming too, a great way to start!

Submeg
30th June 2007, 04:17
I hope so.

He did say that we will be doing some Z80 and 68000 assembler during the course :)

do you know how fun/annoying it is? I did a course which took us into the land of the 68k, and we were thrown in the deep end. We had no idea what the commands were and we were expected to make programs....so annoying. But once we were told about the commands, it was cool, but still, so much easier to program in C or something

Rebb/TRSI
4th July 2007, 00:05
Done some little asm coding, as some of you already know :)
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=23288

My first Amiga programming language I really learned was Amos. Did some little intros with my friends, must been something like 1992. When switched to Amiga 1200 founded out that my Amos stuff didn't work too well. Alternative solution was Blitz basic. More complicated than Amos (IMHO), but also much more rewarding one. Coded simple little tools for sample creating.

Now as I'm studying programming, I also started learning Amiga asm again. Now and then, when I have little time, I like to start asm-pro and try to do little effects. Maybe one day I have enough of these little pieces and can start composing on track to my first Amiga demo ;)

StuKeith
23rd September 2007, 23:24
I spent ages learning AMOS. I programmed some Music playing software and apps. could never manage games, only the apps. Sent some into PD library's and had them Sold. Had a cheque come once for some software.

Had the Blitz Basic 2 as well. compiled a few small apps on that as well. Got one on aminet somewhere.

A few Disc mags as well. Was thinking of creating a few of these now for retro use.

I have some adf files of the software I have programmed if anyone is intrested.

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 07:02
Cool that you have released several applications, Stu. Do you have some links to those? Have you released any disk magazines? Would love to see them as well. :)

StuKeith
24th September 2007, 12:19
I see if I can find them! I think The adfs are on the real miggy. I also had an advert in CU Amiga for a while!

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 18:06
Hope you'll find the stuff, as I'm looking forward to check it out. :thumbs: