PDA

View Full Version : The longest time playing an Amiga game?

Harrison
22nd June 2007, 16:09
What is the longest time you have ever spent playing an Amiga game in one sitting?

For me the game had to be Eye of the Beholder 2 or Frontier: Elite 2 and I must have spent at least 10 hours in one sitting playing Frontier at some point. :o

Submeg
22nd June 2007, 22:39
I think for me, the longest I ever sat there was six hours playing wings. I then thought, I should probably back these disks up...then when I went to back them up, they corrupted! :(

Harrison
22nd June 2007, 23:06
The story in Wings definitely can draw you in and make you want to keep playing to see the next part of the journal. Great game.

Must have been really sad suddenly realising such a great game was corrupted. :(

Submeg
23rd June 2007, 08:34
Sad, and then I decided to want to destroy something...

Demon Cleaner
23rd June 2007, 21:17
Elite.

v85rawdeal
23rd June 2007, 21:38
For me, the longest sitting I remember doing was about 17 hours playing Curse of the Azure Bonds. A game that I managed to complete in just 2 sittings.

After that, I guess it would possibly be Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (although half that was spent looking at the box :))

TiredOfLife
24th June 2007, 22:17
EOBII and Civilization must be the longest sessions.
Wouldn't like to think about how long in a single session.

Demon Cleaner
26th June 2007, 09:16
For me, the longest sitting I remember doing was about 17 hours playing Curse of the Azure Bonds. A game that I managed to complete in just 2 sittings.That is also a great game, and a sequel to Pool of Radiance. Champions of Krynn (which I mentioned in the first games I completed topic) is also by SSI and plays exactly the same way. Also great, and a game which I also finished is Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, another SSI release, but this time in a sci-fi setting.

Harrison
26th June 2007, 09:50
SSI were a great RPG developer on the Amiga. Eye of the Beholder is still my favourite game from them.

Pool of Radiance was also a great game and the direct PC sequel to it, "Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor", released in 2001 is another of my favourite RPGs, using a Baldur's Gate style 3D engine. If you haven't tried this PC sequel I highly recommend it as it also using the same AD&D 3rd edition rules as BG and is very good, but do make sure you patch it with the latest available patch as it was quite unstable until the last patches were released.

Sharingan
2nd July 2007, 06:30
Almost positive it was Bullfrog's Powermonger. 7-8 hours in one session, at the least. That game was just incredible ... great atmosphere, well-tuned difficulty, excellent visuals. Even to this day, I haven't found a wargame that matches Powermonger when it comes to atmosphere - that's saying a lot, I think. Another game I remember spending obscene amounts of time on was Frontier.

It's funny ... nowadays, I find myself hard-pressed to play any one game for longer than an hour before wanting to switch it off and do something else, whereas in the past, there were dozens of games that kept me playing for hours on end. A sign of changing interests? Or are games nowadays simply less compelling?

Oh, and hi to everyone. Newcomer to this forum here.

Harrison
2nd July 2007, 12:43
I think that when we were all growing up most people just had more time to play Amiga games than they do now. But equally the genres, ideas and concepts were all new and exciting and most games were unique and quite original. These days most games are all from the mould of the genre they belong too, so although you may enjoy that type of game most of it's gameplay and style has been seen before.

But I personally still manage to find many games on all platforms that get me hooked.

The most recent was Lego Star Wars 2 on the PSP. I've been playing that in my breaks at work for a few months now. I completed the main missions but still keep replaying them all with different characters to try and find all of the secrets and unlock everything. I really did think that once the main game was completed I wouldn't bother going back but it is still as fun as you then get to do things in levels using the abilities of characters you didn't have access to the first time through.

Continuing the Star Wars theme, Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox was another game that really got me hooked and from the moment I started playing I couldn't put it down until it was completed. That for me is still one of the greatest games created to date.

And there have been many more over the years on all platforms, especially RPGs on the PC and PS2.

TiredOfLife
2nd July 2007, 13:52
It's living with a bird that's cut down my playing time.
Was well into Scarface on the PS2 recently.
Had to be dragged away from it.
She bought me it.
Regrets it big time now.

Harrison
2nd July 2007, 14:06
:yesyes: "yes dear, I don't mind what you do with your free time... as long as it's on my terms!" (tightens leash some more!)

J T
2nd July 2007, 16:59
Ultimate Soccer Manager, I got really into that and played it for many, many hours at a time. Infact I even had it running on my Amiga while doing some history coursework on the PC many many moons ago (and I got a damn good mark for it too! Score!). Similar for Championship Manager 2 for the PC. Those footy management games were a bit like crack to me, I was totally hooked by such a simple premise. I couldn't tell you what the longest time spent playing either of them was, but it would often run late into the night and through to the wee small hours of the morning, maybe 10 hours+ in a go.

Demon Cleaner
2nd July 2007, 20:34
On the C64 I played the first Football Manager (it was called that way) for 3 days straight together with my cousin. That must have been in 1984 or 1985. We played with Mansfield and started in the 4th division, until we got to the premier league, won the championship and the FA cup.

I slept at his home, but we didn't get much sleep, instead we had lots of Cola and Pizza. We played from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening, and it was a very long but funny weekend.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/Football_Manager_1.png

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:37
That's pure dedication DC!

TiredOfLife
2nd July 2007, 22:54
Hat off to you mate.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 01:05
That is pretty dedicated.

One game I did play over one weekend and completed was the original Playstation version of Resident Evil. A friend lent the game to me on the Friday but said he needed it back Monday morning as he had promised it to someone else, so there was nothing for it. I dedicated the weekend to completing the game and so I did. That was a great game, and I still think the original RE is still the best yet, even with the very dodgy voice acting. :)

J T
3rd July 2007, 06:10
On the C64 I played the first Football Manager (it was called that way) for 3 days straight together with my cousin. That must have been in 1984 or 1985. We played with Mansfield and started in the 4th division, until we got to the premier league, won the championship and the FA cup.

I slept at his home, but we didn't get much sleep, instead we had lots of Cola and Pizza. We played from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening, and it was a very long but funny weekend.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/Football_Manager_1.png

I have to respect that, top show, sir.

Sharingan
3rd July 2007, 06:25
One game I did play over one weekend and completed was the original Playstation version of Resident Evil. A friend lent the game to me on the Friday but said he needed it back Monday morning as he had promised it to someone else, so there was nothing for it. I dedicated the weekend to completing the game and so I did. That was a great game, and I still think the original RE is still the best yet, even with the very dodgy voice acting. :)

Dodgy indeed ...

Remember these classics?

Barry: Here, take this lockpick. I'm sure that you, the master of unlocking, will make use of it.

Barry: WHOOOOAAAAAA! This hall is DANGEROUS!

Barry: That was too close. You were almost a Jill sandwich!

Comic gold!

toomanymikes
19th August 2007, 21:44
Populous 2 - I got right to the end and in a match with Zeus i clocked up 11 hours - I remember cos i started it after lunch and finished it when i went to bed. It would have been 6 if he hadnt sneaked another settlement further awway on the map that i hadnt noticed...

Harrison
20th August 2007, 00:12
Populous was so addictive. I used to play that all the time. Such a shame their ruined it in the later 3D games. Why do they have to alter a formula that works? Why not keep the flat isometric style of the original games but in full 3D, making it look much more realistic. It would make it much easier to control and actually work out what was happening than trying to navigate by rotating a whole globe with people stuck to it!

Tiago
20th August 2007, 07:54
Microprose F1GP !!!!!!!!
7 or 8 hours racing with Ferrari.
I that days i raced the world champion in full race lenght (full laps)

I did the same in Indycar racing, the 500 miles of Indianapolis !!!!

I also did +/- 7 hours of "Rainbow six" and "Rouge spear"

Harrison
20th August 2007, 12:07
I used to race full length races in Gran Turismo. Added a lot more to the game with tires wearing out and grip reducing. Can't wait for the next two GT games to come out on PSP and PS3.

I've also raced full length races in GP4.

toomanymikes
20th August 2007, 12:17
Microprose F1GP was fantastic - it was one of those games i spent more time configuring car and driver specs (mostly coming up with stupid names) than i did racing. Manchester United football was another one like that - many an hour clocked up!

Harrison
20th August 2007, 12:20
That is very true. I got hold of the F1GP editor for Microprose F1GP at the time and used to spend ages making everything look like the current F1 series. Definitely spent more time doing that than actually racing around the track.

FOL
20th August 2007, 17:20
For me has to be DUNE, Amiga version. I have finished over and over and over and....ermm.... you get my drift. Just something about the game, it was made perfect.

AlexJ
20th August 2007, 20:44
I used to race full length races in Gran Turismo. Added a lot more to the game with tires wearing out and grip reducing. Can't wait for the next two GT games to come out on PSP and PS3.

I've also raced full length races in GP4.

Have you seen the trailers for GT5? I know it's not in-game footage but the quality blew me away.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/data/movie/20070717_ps_premiere/gt_ps_premiere_2007.wmv

(2 minutes, 89MB - would recommended "Save Target As..." rather than play in browser)

The screenshot of the in-game looks pretty good as well:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/In_car_view_of_gt5_prologue.jpg

Harrison
20th August 2007, 23:25
Once GT5 is released the PS3 will become an essential purchase for me, that is for sure. It definitely looks amazing.

And if they are achieving this level of quality with the first generation of PS3 games, what the hell are we going to see in a couple of years time? Especially when you consider the quality leap that occurred between the first and last releases on both the PSX and PS2.

Harrison
20th August 2007, 23:35
The direct link to that video didn't work. Try this one instead:

http://www.gtplanet.net/gallery/albums/GT5_video/gt_ps_premiere_2007.wmv