PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever physically thrown a Joystick?

Harrison
22nd June 2007, 15:35
You hear about people throwing joysticks and other game controller across the room in a fit of frustration or rage, either through being stuck in a game or by just being beaten by a "mate".

Have you ever done this? Why did it happen? And did you break the controller or anything it hit?

I've personally never thrown a game controller, but I have broken a few in my time through excessive force brought about by over eager use during multiplayer games.

Teho
22nd June 2007, 15:47
No, never threw a controller. Or anything else for that matter. Worst I can do out of sheer frustration with a game is pound the table/chair/something once, but never really hard. I did kill the stereo's remote that way, by accidentally grazing it just wrong so it bounced away and into the sharp edge of one of my speakers. It wasn't even that hard, but somehow managed to crack the circuit board inside. Had to get a new one. Stupid, really.

Submeg
22nd June 2007, 22:44
Not a chucker....more a screamer :blink: I tend to also hit the ground or chair...at least I have some control over not hitting the controller! lol

TiredOfLife
23rd June 2007, 04:40
Never chucked anything.
I like to let out my rage in a mature way by swearing.
Which is as we all know, big and clever.

Stephen Coates
23rd June 2007, 10:27
Not that I can remember.

v85rawdeal
23rd June 2007, 13:28
Errr. Yes, but just the once... Didnt do any damage...

Which is more than can be said for the time I threw my chair at the wall, because I drew a line in the wrong place on my ST (dodgy broken mouse-port)... Now that MADE a lovely whole in the wall... much to my parents annoyance!

Demon Cleaner
23rd June 2007, 21:14
I have smashed some Quickshot 2 joysticks playing on the C64. Mainly due to too much playing games like Decathlon f.ex. or throwing it against the wall whilst playing Green Beret.

AlexJ
23rd June 2007, 22:21
I've thrown 2 PSX joypads in frustration, both during driving games and both to the floor. One while playing 2-player on Ridge Racer 4 and drifting a little too long allowing a friend to get past me on the last corner and the other totally messing up about 5 minutes from the end of one of the endurances races in Gran Turismo 2. Having opened up a large lead, towards the end of the race I pitted more often to make sure I didn't throw it away. I made a mistake, crashed into one of the flat perpendicular walls on the course, and of course having pitted regularly wasn't far enough ahead to avoid being overtaken. I managed to retake the lead only to do a similar thing a lap later by which time it was too late and I finished second. The 'X' button on the controller broke.

Submeg
23rd June 2007, 22:47
I've thrown 2 PSX joypads in frustration, both during driving games and both to the floor. One while playing 2-player on Ridge Racer 4 and drifting a little too long allowing a friend to get past me on the last corner and the other totally messing up about 5 minutes from the end of one of the endurances races in Gran Turismo 2. Having opened up a large lead, towards the end of the race I pitted more often to make sure I didn't throw it away. I made a mistake, crashed into one of the flat perpendicular walls on the course, and of course having pitted regularly wasn't far enough ahead to avoid being overtaken. I managed to retake the lead only to do a similar thing a lap later by which time it was too late and I finished second. The 'X' button on the controller broke.

That is a sad story. You need to write a book to help people share your pain!

Puni/Void
24th June 2007, 12:59
I've never throwed a joystick or smashing it up, but I must admit that I've smashed the desk quite hard in frustration. ;)

TiredOfLife
24th June 2007, 21:49
Did that once when a computer in work was playing up.
The thing switched itself off when I thumped the desk.
Don't do that anymore.

J T
2nd July 2007, 19:52
I've smashed the beejesus out of things before, but rarely generally things that I won't need (or really, really, REALLY pissed me off). Mostly it be hitting the sofa or chucking the controller into the sofa cushions to vent but not ruin my stuff.

A mate at uni smashed the hell out of a PS2 controller because it kept rumbling for no reason so he threw it, punched it, whacked it against the desk and wall and finally threw it down to the floor and yelled "stop F***ing rumbling!".......... silence....... and then..... *brrrrrrrrrt*...... a little, tiny quiver from the controller. We stamped the hell out of it while it was still plugged in, every now and then giving a little whirring rumble of defiance, until finally it lay slain.

Good times :thumbs:

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:34
Man, that is a story to tell the grandkids...

Demon Cleaner
2nd July 2007, 22:38
So your friend is now happy they removed the rumble feature of its PS3 controllers ;)

TiredOfLife
2nd July 2007, 22:38
I've smashed the beejesus out of things before, but rarely generally things that I won't need (or really, really, REALLY pissed me off). Mostly it be hitting the sofa or chucking the controller into the sofa cushions to vent but not ruin my stuff.

A mate at uni smashed the hell out of a PS2 controller because it kept rumbling for no reason so he threw it, punched it, whacked it against the desk and wall and finally threw it down to the floor and yelled "stop F***ing rumbling!".......... silence....... and then..... *brrrrrrrrrt*...... a little, tiny quiver from the controller. We stamped the hell out of it while it was still plugged in, every now and then giving a little whirring rumble of defiance, until finally it lay slain.

Good times :thumbs:

And they say kids aren't getting enough exercise because of computer games.

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:39
Hold off on the quotes, we need the next POTM section to go up! :lol:

Sharingan
7th August 2007, 10:10
I haven't thrown joysticks nor controllers, but I have chucked a chair at my brother's face when I couldn't beat him at a game of Street Fighter. Does that count?

J T
7th August 2007, 10:18
I haven't thrown joysticks nor controllers, but I have chucked a chair at my brother's face when I couldn't beat him at a game of Street Fighter. Does that count?

That's quite extreme, I'd say it counts. I take it the chair didn't hit him?

Demon Cleaner
7th August 2007, 10:20
That counts even double ;)

Sharingan
7th August 2007, 10:35
It did hit, but he's still alive ... no permanent damage done! I think.

I should've pursued a career as a pitcher in baseball, or something. I'm deadly accurate at throwing things :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
7th August 2007, 10:42
I'm deadly accurate at throwing thingsMe too, I played handball when I was young, I even played 4 years for the luxembourgish national team. And with 18, I had a surgery with my intervertebral discs, and my career was over :(

Harrison
7th August 2007, 11:26
That is quite bad enjoying playing a sport and then having to give up due to injury. Do you still play any other sports?

I was never that great at most sports, but that was probably more because I didn't really find many I took a great interest in so was never that motivated to become good at them. I did used to enjoy volleyball, badminton and Tennis, but I couldn't say I was actually that good at any of them, especially tennis! :lol: I did used to be really good at 10 pin bowling and archery but haven't done either on a regular basis for many years now so wouldn't be up to my old standard.

One sport I am still good at is rifle shooting so you had all better watch out! ;)

Sharingan
7th August 2007, 11:29
Sorry to hear that, DC. Were you planning on becoming professional, or was it just for fun?

Demon Cleaner
7th August 2007, 11:39
Do you still play any other sports?Nope, but I'm quite good at sports, handball, football, basketball, volleyball, waterpolo...

Were you planning on becoming professional, or was it just for fun?Not really, at that time, I didn't think of it, as we have no pro handball in Luxembourg. One player of us went to Denmark later and became pro.

v85rawdeal
8th August 2007, 12:34
I did used to enjoy volleyball, badminton and Tennis, but I couldn't say I was actually that good at any of them, especially tennis!

One sport I am still good at is rifle shooting so you had all better watch out! ;)

THose are the same sports as me...

I am beginning to worry that Harrison and I may be clones...

I still play badminton today, but havent fired a rifle for years...

Demon Cleaner
8th August 2007, 14:00
I am beginning to worry that Harrison and I may be clones...Perhaps you mean clowns :hmmm:

Harrison
8th August 2007, 14:22
:lol: Very good.

Submeg
8th August 2007, 22:20
Thats a score. Tally so far:

DC: 1

everyone else: 0