PDA

View Full Version : Which games do you still play?

fudster
15th June 2007, 14:47
I play Bad Dudes, Silkwork, Rick Dangerous, Sword of Sodan,

Franco

AlexJ
15th June 2007, 14:54
I still enjoy the old platform games, ones like Rainbow Islands and Robocod. I also enjoy the Digital Illusions series of Pinball games, it's always great when we have competitions on those.

I still enjoy The Settlers, but recently haven't found enough time to play it as it's very time consuming.

Oh and welcome to the forums here at classicamiga. Hope you enjoy!

TiredOfLife
15th June 2007, 15:36
Quite a few to be honest.
Civilization gets played on a regular basis.
At the moment, Bards Tale II and Foundation.
The competition on this site is good for playing tho old classics.
It's Xenon at the minute. (If it's still running)

Harrison
15th June 2007, 16:08
Yes the competition is still running. We haven't actually had any members submit a proper score to the competition yet so please everyone have a go.

I tend to play most Amiga games when I'm adding content into the site. Often I find myself playing the games far longer than is needed to create the site content. The last game I played was Addam's Family and I ended up nearly completing three of the sections while "quickly" playing it! :lol:

I also still enjoy playing the pinball games often and lots of other favourites including some of the shoot em ups like Xenon 2 and R-Type or Platform games like Rainbow Islands. And when i find more time some of the RPGs or Sim/Strategy games.

TiredOfLife
16th June 2007, 13:22
Hmm, will try and get into the loft and see if I can find Xenon.
Just found out there was an upgrade to Napalm, another great game.
Have downloaded it and hopefully test this weekend.

Demon Cleaner
26th June 2007, 10:45
Sword of SodanOmg :blink: I was firstly amazed by that game, but after playing it, I thought it was crap. Can't remember exactly anymore, but I think that it wasn't very good.

Puni/Void
27th June 2007, 21:07
I was never a big fan of Sword of Sodan either, but it did look well polished graphically. I'll give the game that.

v85rawdeal
28th June 2007, 19:13
Every now and again I go for a spin on Elite or Frontier... I guess I ought to dig out Elvira and have a play with her again.

Demon Cleaner
29th June 2007, 05:39
I wish I would still be able to play Elite, I guess without a manual, I wouldn't know how to navigate and which keys to use for different tasks.

Harrison
29th June 2007, 09:19
Frontier isn't as hard to pickup without access to a manual, thanks to the icons. But I'm about to put the pdf's of the Frontier manuals on the site that Teho originally made for the old site so you will then have access to the manuals for that one ;)

I also have the original of Elite Plus on the Amiga and will be scanning that manual in soon too.

Demon Cleaner
29th June 2007, 09:43
How is Frontier in a direct comparison to Elite? I only played it to test, but never got into it. If someone wants, make a comparison thread with screenshots and pro/contra. I always liked Elite and played it a lot and quite enjoyed the huge freedom and planets to explore. But how does Frontier really compare graphically, complexity, quantity and quality? I really would like to know.

J T
2nd July 2007, 17:18
Sword of SodanOmg :blink: I was firstly amazed by that game, but after playing it, I thought it was crap. Can't remember exactly anymore, but I think that it wasn't very good.

I'd never heard of that game until a couple of years ago when someone mentioned it on the old forum and had a go through UAE. It was a bit pony really. Also it glitched out and i somehow had inifinite lives - the final boss was still an utter pig to beat though - in fact I'm not sure I finished it. Won't be trying again :whistle:

Teho
2nd July 2007, 17:30
How is Frontier in a direct comparison to Elite? I only played it to test, but never got into it. If someone wants, make a comparison thread with screenshots and pro/contra. I always liked Elite and played it a lot and quite enjoyed the huge freedom and planets to explore. But how does Frontier really compare graphically, complexity, quantity and quality? I really would like to know.

I'd love to do that, except that for me it's the other way around. I never really played Elite, only tested it some after having played Frontier. For some strange reason, allthough I got hold of a lot of games for the C64 and Amiga back in the day I somehow managed to never have Elite in any shape or form. So can't do a comparison, sorry.

Puni/Void
2nd July 2007, 17:37
I haven't played the original Elite much either, so I'm afraid I can't help you regarding the comparison, Demon. Although, I must say that Frontier is an excellent game - I used to spend hours a time playing it.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 00:23
The simple answer comparing the two is to say that Frontier is everything Elite was, but more so. But equally it does change some of the core elements of the game. Instead of multiple galaxies of the original, Frontier only has the one galaxy, our Milky Way, but it is a vast expanse of star systems and is impossible to visit every planet.

The wireframe graphics of the original were updated to full filled 3D polygons, creating some amazing (at the time) views of both space on planet surfaces. The space ship docking of the original is also in Frontier, with you initially needing to manually align yourself with the rotation of the station and then move into the docking bay at the correct speed. And just the same as the original, you can upgrade to an automatic docking computer to negate the need for the tedious docking sequence.

Other similarities between the original and Frontier include the cargo runs, comparing prices on the stock market between planets and solar systems and trying to buy low and sell high, there is also the return of the military aspect with you able to take missions from the military, but from two opposing human sides, and ranking higher on one side then makes you become a target when within the other side's regions of space. There are also other types of mission such as assassin or mining runs, collecting hydrogen from a sun, or ore by blowing up asteroids.

And the pirates are back, with some great space battles to be had.

One big difference is in the space ships. In the original Elite you were given a ship at the beginning and could upgrade and improve it throughout the game. In Frontier you have a market of new and second hand ships to trade your one in for and can swap to other ships whenever you like throughout the game. There are a wide variety of ships and each can be upgraded with better armour, shields, bigger hyperdrive engines, more cargo space, cabins for passenger runs between systems and different ships also have more gun mounting points and some even have turrets which can be fun.

You can also land on planets as well as docking with orbiting stations and if you are good at piloting you can fly around the planets and explore them, seeing some of their natural landscapes and the cities on them.

The map system in Frontier is also quite cool. It is fully 3D and allows you to zoom right out and rotate around to see the 3D spacing between systems and planets, and you can even zoom right into the map and see space stations in close detail. You can also call up detailed information about systems and their resources, the items they trade in and how popular or rare items are, allowing you to work out the best profits to be made.

As I said at the start, Frontier is everything Elite was but more, and in my view better.

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 13:42
Sounds pretty good, shame I didn't play it. But then again, that was the time I was already older and had other things to do than gaming. I think that even at that time I got my first PC and sold my Amiga, shame on me :(

Were there also the Targoids?? I quite enjoyed battling against them.

you can upgrade to an automatic docking computer to negate the need for the tedious docking sequence.That was always the first thing I did in Elite.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 14:48
I remember crashing into the space stations and dying quite often when starting out with a new game in Frontier and the original Elite. That was probably the most tedious and annoying aspect of the game. I did perfect the manual docking quite well though after some practice.

These days I do prefer to play X2 and X3, and sometimes Freelancer.

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 14:52
These days I do prefer to play X2 and X3, and sometimes Freelancer.I began playing X1, but not long. Played through Freespace 1&2, which were very good. And I'm also half through Freelancer which imo is also very good. But always when I start to play again, I have to play some early missions again, to get confident with the controls, then continue with my actual save. But it has now been almost 2 years I didn't play anymore.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 14:58
You should definitely give the later X games a try. They take everything from the original, including the expansion pack, and make it even better. You can even create complete empires, setting up space stations and huge automated cargo ships that do your work for you, travelling between the stars shipping ore to their destination while you concentrate on killing someone.

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 15:11
I heard that these were very good, unfortunately they don't run on my laptop 2.8GHz with an ATI 64MB card, otherwise I would give them a try at work.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 15:29
While X3 wouldn't run as it needs a 128MB graphics card minimum, X2 should run fine on the laptop. Its recommended specs are a 64MB graphics card, 256MB ram and a P4 1.3GHz CPU.

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 15:34
I must have a look at home, maybe I already have the game, otherwise I'll d/l both. I also have still to install the Fallout games to play them. I still try to do something for the site when I have the time (motivation) at work, if I'm gonna play games, this would rather be stuck. I also have installed the MAME 115 set (no CHDs), so there should be enough games on it for the moment ;)

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 15:46
I find it isn't normally worth installing the CHDs with MAME as most of the CHD games don't run properly as current computers are not fast enough to emulate them at full speed. You should definitely have enough games to keep you going. :lol:

Puni/Void
3rd July 2007, 17:36
Demon wrote:

I also have still to install the Fallout games to play them.

:smokin: That's the spirit!

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 18:09
Yep, I have a Fallout compilation DVD including the 3 games plus manuals and everything, have to install the whole package.

Puni/Void
3rd July 2007, 19:56
That sounds excellent, Demon. I envy you a bit that you are new to Fallout. The first times I played those two games, it was pure magic.

Demon Cleaner
3rd July 2007, 20:00
I'm not new, I played the first one, but like always, I only played it for 1-2 hours. That is always my problem, I have so many games to play, that I don't get the time to finish one. Only games which I really play to the end are RPGs on the PS2, because I prefer to lie down on the couch whilst playing instead of sitting on a hard chair 50cm away from my monitor.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 22:56
Talking of Fallout, there is a huge article about Fallout 3 in the new issue of PC Gamer. It goes into a lot of depth with lots of screenshots and it sounds like it will be good and looked very nice. So all our worrying about it being Oblivion in Fallout clothing may be over. It looks and sounds like it will be great.

If any of you are interesting in reading this article let me know and I will scan in the pages and upload them for you.

Demon Cleaner
4th July 2007, 00:31
I saw that I have X2 and X3, and also I could install Freelancer on my laptop and use my savegame to continue. I should also install Shadowgrounds as I liked the setting it is in, and it's good when you have nothing to do during half an hour.

Harrison
4th July 2007, 00:43
I've not played SHadowgrounds for ages. That is another great game. I will have to play that again some time this week. :)

Puni/Void
4th July 2007, 06:08
Harrison wrote:

If any of you are interesting in reading this article let me know and I will scan in the pages and upload them for you.

Please do, I'm very interesting in checking this out. :) Thanks in advance, Harrison.

Demon Cleaner
4th July 2007, 13:23
:lol: that's the true Fallout fan.

Puni/Void
6th July 2007, 21:30
:thumbs: