PDA

View Full Version : Are you using Linux at the moment?

Harrison
29th December 2006, 12:26
Are you using any version of Linux on one of your systems at the moment? And if so what Distro of Linux are you using? and on what platform are you running it?

Also what are you using it for? Gaming? Server? Main OS? Or just to mess around with it and see what you can do?

For me, at the moment I have Fedora Core 5 installed on one of my systems, setup to dual boot with Windows XP. I use this for messing around with the OS, to test out some of the Emulators available for Linux, and to try out some of the other software available, and to generally learn about the OS as I use it.

I also had SUSE 10 installed for a while but not at the moment. I quite liked SUSE and it was easier to setup that most other Distros, and comes with a lot of software, as does Fedora.

Vangar
29th December 2006, 12:43
I had ubuntu on this system for a while, but it wasn't something i'd wish to keep with. I just recently downloaded LinuxMint, and i'll tell you how that goes when i give it a whirl.

AlexJ
29th December 2006, 15:22
I've got a Kubuntu box which I just use for general webbrowsing and occasional wordprocessing.

Harrison
29th December 2006, 15:25
If and when I get a PS3 I will be very tempted to put Linux on it. :)

Vangar
30th December 2006, 22:17
I just tried linuxmint, and its pretty good. it has all the software you could want prepackaged, and XGL libraries installed ready to go. Beryl is awesome, but useless :P.

Stephen Coates
31st December 2006, 11:44
I like to use Debian on older Macs. It is the only distribution I can ever get to work properly on Old World Macs.

As for x86, I still can't be bothered to sort out my hard drives. Maybe I should just get a new one.

hipoonios
31st December 2006, 20:03
Yes, using Debian Linux here :)

Puni/Void
1st January 2007, 12:03
Hi Hipoonios and welcome to the new forum! Hope you like it. :) Anyway, I'm not currently using Linux on any of my systems. I actually have only one system here in England as the rest is packed and stored away in Norway. ;) The nearest I get is having AROS available for usage, which is a nice piece of OS.

esalv
14th January 2007, 07:54
Right now I'm updating Kubuntu Feisty on my rotten PC.

Erik

Stephen Coates
14th January 2007, 09:25
I was thinking of getting a flash drive to put linux on to use with this PC (not my own), but then remembered that it had a winmodem. I know it is possible to get some winmodems to work in linux but as far as i know it's not as easy as a proper modem.

Harrison
15th January 2007, 12:03
Would you need to have modem support steve? I haven't seen a modem installed in a PC for a long time now and due to prices of a dialup account being as much as a broadband account it is pointless to remain on dialup (regardless of the arguments for and against dialup vs broadband that you may come up with).

Stephen Coates
15th January 2007, 14:39
Modem support is obviously not neccesery, but it is if I want to use the internet!

Harrison
15th January 2007, 15:14
? Couldn't you just use a network card and link the Linux machine to a router? Or if you only have access to a dialup account for some reason, you could share the connection from your PC via Windows and a crossover cable between the two machines. There are solutions even of you cannot get a modem to directly work in Linux itself.

It is also possible to get most wireless lan cards working with Linux using Windows drivers. I did this with a wireless Linksys card. The setup is quite complex but once sorted it works perfectly. Quite mad to think that Cisco and Linksys don't directly support or recognise Linux as an OS so have never directly released a driver for any of their products. Quite mad.

Stephen Coates
15th January 2007, 15:47
? Couldn't you just use a network card and link the Linux machine to a router?

router? Where's that? I didn;t realise there was one here.

(In other words, i wouldn;t really be bothered about v92 modems if there was an internet connection that could be used over ethernet here.

Or if you only have access to a dialup account for some reason, you could share the connection from your PC via Windows and a crossover cable between the two machines. There are solutions even of you cannot get a modem to directly work in Linux itself.

Give me a 5 mile ethernet cable that I can use and I will.

It is also possible to get most wireless lan cards working with Linux using Windows drivers. I did this with a wireless Linksys card. The setup is quite complex but once sorted it works perfectly. Quite mad to think that Cisco and Linksys don't directly support or recognise Linux as an OS so have never directly released a driver for any of their products. Quite mad.

Getting a wireless network to travel 5 miles wouldn;t be THAT easy either. Mine only goes to the end of the road.