PDA

View Full Version : Movies Hot Fuzz

Demon Cleaner
10th June 2007, 17:54
I just watched this one, and I have to say it's just hilarious. Unfortunately I did not get all the jokes, as it's an english (UK, not US) movie, and american is far more understandable than english.

But nonetheless, I immensely enjoyed this movie and give it a 9/10. A MUST see.

IMdb link here. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425112/)

Submeg
10th June 2007, 23:57
Yea those guys are great. I bought Shaun of the Dead ages ago, and my parents finally watched it....my Mum was like wtf at the start...but then the humour came in and she was in tears. :thumbs:

AlexJ
11th June 2007, 01:01
Must download this as I'm sure like in SOTD there's a lot of more subtle jokes that I missed first time round.

TiredOfLife
11th June 2007, 06:02
@ Demon Cleaner

A great film.
What did you mean by American is far more understandable than English?

Demon Cleaner
11th June 2007, 12:22
What did you mean by American is far more understandable than English?How can I explain this? American speak clearer, they pronounce every word, whereas UK guys tend to swallow the words making it sometimes quite impossible to understand the word or even the complete sentence. They also speak faster and add often some kind of slang.

Harrison
11th June 2007, 12:31
I saw Hot Fuzz at the cinema originally and thought it was great.

I do get what you mean about English DC. We have a very large range of local accents within the UK that vary a lot from one end of the country to the other. Many people from other countries just think we all sound like Londoners but when they really hear people talking from different parts of the UK such as Cornwall, Bristol, Yorkshire, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow etc there is a huge variety, and regional slang is completely different too. Even to the point where someone from southern England can sometimes not understand accents or slag from some areas in the North or West.

Something I've always wondered is if accents and local slang are common in other countries. Do they also have completely different accents in different areas of the country and different slang? To the point that you can easily recognise the region of the country they come from?

Demon Cleaner
11th June 2007, 15:42
That is everywhere I think. I know of Germany and France where they have typical regional slang, and you can tell immediately which region the guy comes from.

Even here in Luxembourg (population approx. 450.000) we have sort of slang. But that is more about how words are used. F.ex. I am from the very south, and we have a more blatant and direct kind of speaking. F.ex. people from Lux town say, oh my god, my posterior doesn't feel well. We say, ****ing shit, my butt bloody hurts :lol:

Puni/Void
11th June 2007, 16:11
We have a ton of different dialects in Norway, which Teho can confirm. If you start studying Norwegian, you'll begin learning the way they talk in the capitol (Oslo). If you travel other places, you'll struggle to understand. Guess it's a bit for us non-English to learn English in London, and then move to Glasgow. :D Scottish is for sure difficult to understand!

Hehe.. we have the same here in Norway, Demon, only that it is the people from the North that has a more brutal way of speaking. :D

Also interesting is that Norway actually have two versions of Norwegian. One is called "Bokmål", which is most widely used, while the other is called "New-Norwegian". If you compare these two, you'll find a ton of words that are unsimilar. Beside this, the grammar differs as well.

TiredOfLife
11th June 2007, 20:17
That doesn't make things any clearer.
I'm told by Americans that they all have different accents depending on which part you are from, same as English.

Teho
11th June 2007, 20:38
In my opinion it's probably the fact that most non-english speakers are a lot more accustomed to american due to cultural influence. I mean most movies, tv-shows and such that we watch are american. We do get several english shows over here as well, but not nearly as many.

Submeg
12th June 2007, 00:05
Ha, you should hear some of the ppl in Aus..they use words that don't exist, and I think they should be shot. The big pet hate I have:

- Ues: (Ewes): I love Ues guys....

Man the next person I hear say that...:chair:

Harrison
12th June 2007, 00:36
Ues is used by people from some areas in the UK too.

Submeg
12th June 2007, 03:53
That word should be illegal!! :mad:

v85rawdeal
3rd February 2008, 17:53
Also, I love ues has a COMPLETELY different meaning in Wales.

I know its a long time since this thread was posted on, but I was bored, and decided to look at some of the old threads.

TiredOfLife
4th February 2008, 13:31
Used in Liverpool all the time.