PDA

View Full Version : From dial-up to broadband!

Puni/Void
8th June 2007, 16:44
Finally I've got broadband connection again. I've just completed the installation of our new wireless network in our flat, and it seems to be working well. Having used dial-up since March, it was truly a delight to be able to surf for "real again". No more waiting 5 minutes for a webpage to load up, or waiting hours for the virus-killer update to be downloaded.

Anyway, now that I have a steady and fast Internet connection again, I'll start working on the Demoscene section again. I've noticed that there hasn't been much updates during the last months when it comes to demos, intros, diskmags and so on. The rest of the site looks amazing though - it is for sure getting better and better!

That said, I guess I'll have to get Shareaza up and running again to make up for the downtime. ;)

Harrison
8th June 2007, 17:37
Great to hear you finally have broadband again.

Shareaza? You need uTorrent with Pirate Bay, ISOHunt, PD, UG etc...

Demon Cleaner
8th June 2007, 18:34
I couldn't even imagine in my wildest dreams to switch back to dial up again, but if you have to, no luck. Welcome back from the "half" dead ;)

Puni/Void
8th June 2007, 20:38
Harrison wrote:

Great to hear you finally have broadband again.

Shareaza? You need uTorrent with Pirate Bay, ISOHunt, PD, UG etc...

I agree that other clients do a better job than Shareaza when it comes to Torrents, but since I frequently use G1 and G2, I'll stick to my favourite P2P client. :)

Demon wrote:

I couldn't even imagine in my wildest dreams to switch back to dial up again, but if you have to, no luck. Welcome back from the "half" dead.

Hehe.. dial-up was like hell, and I didn't spend much time on the Internet at all, due to the extremely slow speeds. :( I wanted of course to do some work for the site, but that was nearly impossible. Should be much better now though. :)

Stephen Coates
9th June 2007, 09:12
Strange.

I have always found that dialup causes me to spend more time on the internet due to slow speeds.

Teho
10th June 2007, 09:42
Nice to hear you're back on broadband, PG. Using the internet with dial-up now is painful for sure, I don't think I could've lived with it for long. :)

I've noticed that there hasn't been much updates during the last months when it comes to demos, intros, diskmags and so on.

Yeah, I know. I've been meaning to get the latest releases added on there, but have kept putting it off until I had watched most and grabbed screens for them. Which I still haven't gotten around to. I'll definitely make an effort to get to it one day soon.

TiredOfLife
10th June 2007, 09:47
Glad your back in the land of the living.
I agree with Ste.
Seemed to spend a hell of a lot longer on the internet bacause of dialup
I couldn't bring myself to leave the internet alone.
Takes forever to do anything.

Harrison
11th June 2007, 11:33
But that is only because you have to wait so long for each page to load!

Stephen Coates
12th June 2007, 08:30
It still takes time for pages to load though.

I am using ADSL now and it took quite a while to load this topic page up.

Not surprisingly, the phpBB forum which i went to loaded much quicker :).

I can not really compare this to 56k dialup though as the only suitable modem I have at the moment is a v34 one.

Harrison
14th June 2007, 12:27
It still takes time for pages to load though.
Only because the increase in bandwidth we have access to today allows websites the ability to offer much richer and more dynamic content. If you loaded a page via broadband that was originally designed for dialup access it would load very quickly due to the optimised content for low bandwidth access.

Not surprisingly, the phpBB forum which i went to loaded much quicker :).

Why was it not surprising that a phpbb based board would load quicker? vBulletin boards including this one) take under a second to load a page for me.

Everyone should avoid the bug ridden and security flawed phpbb at all costs, unless they want to spend most of their time on them deleting spam and bogus registrations!

Stephen Coates
14th June 2007, 12:54
In Ibrowse, which I was using to post that message, an almost problem free phpBB forum was much quicker.

As for the phpBB forum that I run, we hardly have any problems now. Nothing is perfect. And some of us just really dislike vB. And I know that I'm not the only one.

Harrison
14th June 2007, 14:18
:lol: Hardly any problems "now". I know only too well the major issues you had with spammers and bogus account creation. And saying you now have "hardly" any problems implies that you do still have some. :hmmm:

Nothing is perfect, that is true, but have you seen any spam being posted on this forum since it was launched? Nope. And there is a reason. vB is the most secure and robust forum on the market. You get what you pay for.

I've used and tried out most forums available Steve and it is a known fact that phpbb is one of the worst for security you can use. I'm not making it up Steve, it is a fact. Even IPB is more secure, and that is saying something!

AlexJ
14th June 2007, 14:42
vBulletin is used in the majority of the boards I visit, and in a lot of the really big boards on the web (in fact in pretty much almost all of them that don't have their own custom ones).

J T
14th June 2007, 15:40
To be perfetly honest, I think if I had to go back to dial-up I would just stop using the internet (or do it only somewhere with a speedy connection). Really, I only used dial up for maybe a few weeks, and even then it was a major pain for anything other than simple instant messaging.

Stephen Coates
14th June 2007, 15:43
Yes, we do still get a few spam posts and fake user accounts. It is easy to get rid of them though. I will be attemtping to sort it out though when I get the chance.

Although we have been using phpBB since 2002 and are not changing.

Considering that the spam we get is a minor problem, I tend to be more interested in User interface and functionality, and I much prefer the interface of phpBB and IPB(both 1 and 2) to vB. And phpBB does everything we want it to do since the forum is used for discussions only.