PDA

View Full Version : Music Game Music OST

Harrison
5th June 2007, 22:27
I know a few of you also collect Game music, but I was wondering how many of you collect full Original Sound Track (OST) releases?

I've been collecting them for a few years now. It started with some of the Final Fantasy OST CDs but I then started to hunt on p2p networks for the rarer ones I could not find anywhere and started to discover and download more and more great game and movie OST albums.

I've now got close to 50 Final Fantasy OST albums, all of which are great to have playing in the background while I work. And I've just got hold of the complete Shadow of the Beast OST that contains the music from all three games and it really nice.

I don't just collect music from one or two systems, although I do tend to concentrate most on RPG music from the PS1 and PS2, but I also collect anything I like from other classic retro systems such as the SNES and from the many great games on the PC.

So do any of you also collect Game OST collections? And if so what have you collected so far and are interested in the most?

Demon Cleaner
6th June 2007, 00:17
I don't actually collect them, there has to be a limit with collecting, so I decided to not collect everything. I only downloaded the OST of FF7, FF8, and FFT. I also bought 2 OST, the ones from Xenogears and Chrono Cross, both containing 3 CDs, as I really liked the music in the games. Things you easily find on eBay.

Sharingan
2nd July 2007, 22:26
I'm an avid collector of video game music :)

There's a lot of people who'd probably look at me strangely and call me an idiot for listening to 'that weird crap', but who cares, eh? There's a lot of great game music out there, in every style imaginable, from techno to heavy metal, symphonic to ambient. Give it a try if you haven't ... you might be surprised.

If I'd have a make a wild guess, I have around 500+ GB of OSTs in MP3 format lying about (90% of which I haven't even listened to). I do find myself listening to the Final Fantasy soundtracks more frequently than the others (have 91 FF-related albums). Very good stuff if you want to just sit back and relax for a while.

Other than video game OSTs, I also collect Anime OSTs and to a lesser extent, movie soundtracks.

TiredOfLife
2nd July 2007, 22:32
Got a lot of mods for the C64.
Did have a lot of the remakes on mp3 but lost it all when I had a hd failure a few years back.
Still have a few left.
Rebuilding my collection is on my to do list next time i'm off work for a few weeks.

Submeg
2nd July 2007, 22:32
If I'd have a make a wild guess, I have around 500+ GB of OSTs in MP3 format lying about (90% of which I haven't even listened to).

That is ALOT of OST! :o

Demon Cleaner
2nd July 2007, 22:48
Got a lot of mods for the C64.You mean sid's? You can always d/l the newest High Voltage Sid Collection for free including thousands of sid files. Homepage can be found here (http://www.hvsc.c64.org/).

TiredOfLife
2nd July 2007, 22:56
Bloody hell that is a lot.
Nice one.
Will have a good nose through that lot.

Puni/Void
3rd July 2007, 10:35
SID music is great. There plenty of nice tunes from games, but I enjoy more the SID's made by demoscene artists on the C64. Some incredibly talented artists on that Scene.

I don't collect much music from PC games though. Have a few songs from the Civilization series, Monkey Island 3, Command & Conquer and such, but not much more. I do save game music from the Amiga though, but those are mostly mods and other formats. :) The Secret of Monkey Island music, along with the tunes from Colonization are great to listen to.

Sharingan
3rd July 2007, 11:10
500 GB might seem like a lot, but I know a few people who have terabytes worth of the stuff. Real hardcore. They collect not only the more mainstream soundtracks, but also haunt online auction sites for rare, out-of-print releases from Japan.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions regarding video game music, or wants to know if an official soundtrack was ever released for a particular game, I'll do my best to find out.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 11:12
I recently discovered a compilation series on a torrent site where someone had collected together a lot of game OSTs on the PC ranging from the 1990s up to present games. So far I managed to find 3 parts, each about 15GB and there is a lot of great music included.

I also recently downloaded the Shadow of the Beast OST (from all three games) and it seems to be an official OST, not one created by a fan sampling the game, and is really good. I've always been a big fan of the music from that series, especially the first two games.

Sharingan
3rd July 2007, 11:41
Sounds like a nice find. If you could point out the site where the torrent can be downloaded, I'd be interested in seeing what it has to offer.

While we're talking of recommendations, any Amiga enthusiast should definitely check out the three IMMORTAL compilation albums. What do they contain? Amiga game music! Not straight recordings from the Amiga originals, but studio recorded, re-produced tracks by the original composers, in full 16-bit glory. Among the gems you'll find are upgraded versions of the Shadow of the Beast tracks, music from Turrican and Turrican 3, Project-X, Apidya, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 and much, much more.

VERY good stuff!

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 12:07
Not sure exactly where the SotB soundtrack was from (as I download a lot of stuff each week) but it might have been on Undergound-gamer or just something I found on ISOHunt.

BTW, if you haven't been to underground gamer yet I highly recommend the site, and let me know if you need an invitation as I have some available.

J T
3rd July 2007, 16:18
If I'd have a make a wild guess, I have around 500+ GB of OSTs in MP3 format lying about (90% of which I haven't even listened to).

That is ALOT of OST! :o

Holy crap! I don't even have that much regular music, let alone OST stuff.

I have maybe a handful of OST albums, FFX, Sonics 1 & 2, Outrun 2, Mario 64, Zelda (Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker) and a natty Hyrule Symphony (Zelda themes played by a proper, full ochestra) and some Nintendo 'concert' including an ace scat-jazz-vocal version of the mario theme.

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 16:30
The Legend of Zelda - Hyrule Symphony album and definitely great and worth finding.

Talking of Orchestra versions, some of the Final Fantasy orchestra albums are some of the best too.

Another I've been listening to lately is the Baldur's Gate OST. That's another good one, although not quite as good as the Xenosaga OST.

I do think that game OST albums are definitely better if you have played the games as they generate memories of the gameplay, scenes, and set pieces.

J T
3rd July 2007, 16:45
The Legend of Zelda - Hyrule Symphony album and definitely great and worth finding.

I do think that game OST albums are definitely better if you have played the games as they generate memories of the gameplay, scenes, and set pieces.

Yes, and yes. I am rather fond of some of the pieces on the FFX OST because of the memories - doubly so with the Zelda tracks. Music is very, very emotive like that.

Sharingan
3rd July 2007, 17:13
Not sure exactly where the SotB soundtrack was from (as I download a lot of stuff each week) but it might have been on Undergound-gamer or just something I found on ISOHunt.

Ah, I was referring more to the compilation torrents you mentioned ... the ones that are 15 GB each :)

I'll take a peek at the Underground-gamer site sometime. Thanks for the offer!

I have maybe a handful of OST albums, FFX, Sonics 1 & 2, Outrun 2, Mario 64, Zelda (Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker) and a natty Hyrule Symphony (Zelda themes played by a proper, full ochestra) and some Nintendo 'concert' including an ace scat-jazz-vocal version of the mario theme.

Let me know if you should be interested in any other album. I have quite a lot of Final Fantasy albums, as well as Sega/Nintendo soundtracks. I'd be happy to share some (FTP upload preferred).

Another I've been listening to lately is the Baldur's Gate OST. That's another good one, although not quite as good as the Xenosaga OST.

Seems like you have quite similar tastes to mine when it comes to game music. Cheers :)

Harrison
3rd July 2007, 17:17
The 15GB compilations were found on Pirate Bay I think and are called "Game Music Gems"

v85rawdeal
5th July 2007, 22:39
The only soundtracks I have game-wise are Carmageddon; GTA:VC + SA; and the Monkey Island soundtracks off the Complete Monkey Island DVD-Rom.

J T
5th July 2007, 22:58
monkey island?! sweet! i'd love to get a copy of that OST if possible please mate. sounds utterly ace!

Submeg
6th July 2007, 14:56
The only soundtracks I have game-wise are Carmageddon; GTA:VC + SA; and the Monkey Island soundtracks off the Complete Monkey Island DVD-Rom.

Whoa...Carmageddon. Now thats a oldie! :p

Harrison
6th July 2007, 15:00
Who remembers the blood patch? Carmageddon had the in-game blood changed to green just before release so that it could be released in Germany (stricter censorship rules than even the UK!), but a patch appeared soon after that returned the blood back to a nice sticky crimson. ;)

Demon Cleaner
6th July 2007, 15:00
And the game wasn't so bad, one of the first destruction car games, besides perhaps the 8/16 bit attempts ;)

Submeg
6th July 2007, 15:10
Yea it was ok, as soon as you got the police car it was all over

Harrison
6th July 2007, 15:52
I've not played it for some time and I bet the graphics haven't aged well!

v85rawdeal
6th July 2007, 16:45
I got the Max Pack when that came out, which included the uncensored version of the game; the Splat Pack Expansion; a mouse mat; keyring and cheat book.

Mind you I also had a Spice Girls patch, as well as a teletubbies patch (in fact they are all around somewhere, on one of my cds)

And no, unfortunately the game graphics have not aged well.

Will also compress the Monkey Island OST for people if they want.

Harrison
6th July 2007, 16:49
The Monkey Island OST would be great.

J T
6th July 2007, 19:49
Yeah I'd love a piece of that too :smokin:

AlexJ
6th July 2007, 19:59
And me!

Puni/Void
6th July 2007, 21:28
Me too! The music from the Monkey Island games are incredible.

v85rawdeal
7th July 2007, 13:47
Themes from all 4 Monkey Island games have now been added (or still in the process of uploading (depending when you read this message)). Have also included the Fan Music album.

Also have the Monkey Island Stage Play... if anybody is interested!!!

Harrison
7th July 2007, 14:43
For those interested in downloading the Monkey Island OST, it is on the classicamiga uploads FTP. PM me if you need details.

AlexJ
11th July 2007, 18:06
Themes from all 4 Monkey Island games have now been added (or still in the process of uploading (depending when you read this message)). Have also included the Fan Music album.

Finally got a chance to listen to these. Great stuff, thanks for uploading :thumbs:

v85rawdeal
12th July 2007, 15:18
You are most welcome.

Just also ripped Shadow Of Memories OST

Midnight Club OST

Smuggler's Run OST

if anyone is interested...

J T
12th July 2007, 19:24
For those interested in downloading the Monkey Island OST, it is on the classicamiga uploads FTP. PM me if you need details.

I haven't used the FTP for ages, man. I can't even remember if I have an FTP client currently installed. I'll check later if no one answers - but is there still a pinned topic with the FTP access details? I think I can remember my login name and password.....

AlexJ
12th July 2007, 22:30

I haven't used the FTP for ages, man. I can't even remember if I have an FTP client currently installed. I'll check later if no one answers - but is there still a pinned topic with the FTP access details? I think I can remember my login name and password.....

Yeah it's in the site content forum. It's a new FTP with a new username and password.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 12:31
The Xenogears OST is now available at UG, I highly recommend it, as I think that Xenogears contains some quite nice music. I have the original and I think mine has 3 CDs, this one has only 2.

Xenogears OST torrent (http://www.underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=20207)

Harrison
31st July 2007, 13:58
Cool. I already have the Xenosaga OSTs but don't have the Xenogears OST. Will have to grab that one.

Sharingan
31st July 2007, 16:12
You sure missed something special then - the Xenogears soundtrack is considered to be one of Yoshinori Mitsuda's best works, alongside Chrono Cross. Lots of memorable tunes, and great synth quality (for the time). Tell us what you think of it.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 16:30
alongside Chrono Cross.The only 2 OST I have are Chrono Cross and Xenogears. But I mainly bought them because I played both games and thought that the soundtrack in both was exceptionally great, and btw, the games too, Chrono Cross is still one of my favorite RPGs besides FFVII.

Sharingan
31st July 2007, 16:44
Yeah, the Chrono Cross OST is epic. I'm particularly fond of track 7 - "Dream of the shore bordering another world". One of the most atmospheric and moody tracks ever composed.

Harrison
31st July 2007, 18:56
I do have the Chrono Cross OST and it is great. Also the game is brilliant, but I do prefer Chrono Trigger. The PSX update/remake is still worth getting if you haven't played the original, just take into account that the graphics are SNES in nature with FMV cut scenes.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 20:45
I just checked and my Xenogears OST also has only 2 CDs, so I suppose it's the same. As for Chrono Trigger, I don't have the PSX version yet. And I also checked for Persona and have Innocent Sin only as japan release. Have to look where I can get the english release.

EDIT:Just found a PSX collection with FF1-8, Tactics and Chrono Trigger. I d/l that one, because I don't have the single PSX versions of the first FF games.

Harrison
31st July 2007, 20:52
The PSX remakes of FF1 and 2 are worth getting, as is the Chrono Trigger update. I have the originals of all those in the FF Origins, Anthology and Chronicles collections. Great releases and some nice packaging too.

Demon Cleaner
31st July 2007, 20:55
If someday you come around Innocent Sin in english, just inform me ;)

Harrison
31st July 2007, 20:59
I will do.