PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite piece of game music?

Ghost
24th May 2007, 01:36
Hello all,

As this question includes all machines, not just Amiga, PC or certain consoles I am placing this here.
What is your favorite piece of game music.

Its a bit hard for me but on the moment I have to say the space shooter bit from Lunar Knights.
I also have some fond memories of music of Homeworld 1.

Harrison
24th May 2007, 10:48
That is a very hard question to answer as there are so many games with amazing musical scores, especially since the era of CD based consoles and PCs.

Many space based games definitely contain some amazing musical scores. There were music sequences in the online game Earth and Beyond that were truly majestic and captured the sense of floating and moving through the expanses of space very well.

But overall I think it has to be something by Nobuo Uematsu. I cannot give a single title though as most of his music is exceptional and manages to capture emotion so well. Well OK, something from the S Generation album, the "Main theme of FFVII" maybe.

AlexJ
24th May 2007, 11:30
The end battle theme of FF7 (One Winged Angel) is one of my favourites.

Merlin
24th May 2007, 12:54
Hmmm.... let me see....

B17 Flying Fortress has a very good 1940s Tommy Dorsey feel to it,
Robocod rocks - I cant watch Robocop without humming the tune....I used to have it as a ring tone on a phone.

I'll add more as I think of them....

Merlin

Demon Cleaner
24th May 2007, 13:47
C64 sid of Goonies and Hypaball.

And I much like the soundtrack of Xenogears and Chrono Cross for PSX.

J T
24th May 2007, 14:02
I enjoyed the music from FFX immensely.

There is also a natty tune in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorow.

The music in the Zelda series is very good too.

Submeg
25th May 2007, 02:41
I second FFX, it is really good music. I downloaded it all, they are awesome cds.

Harrison
25th May 2007, 02:49
I got a bit obsessed with downloading the Final Fantasy OST albums and although it took me some time I pretty much have all of them now. I am only missing the recent OST albums for the last couple of FF games. To date I now have 41 OST albums of FF and Square music. :)

Submeg
25th May 2007, 02:58
:o are you serious?

Harrison
25th May 2007, 04:08
Yep, and many of those are multi CD albums too, so quite a few hours of music to listen to. The live orchestra and piano based ones are quite nice too.

Submeg
25th May 2007, 04:24
Yea the piano music is very good sleeping music

Demon Cleaner
25th May 2007, 10:31
I only d/l FF7 & 8 & Tactics OST. I bought Xenogears and Chrono Cross, as I played both games, and loved the music.

LowercaseE
25th May 2007, 13:54
The entire soundtrack for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is KILLER! I've got it ripped to mp3 and I listen to it quite a bit. If anyone likes, I can upload it here. Also, I really like the piano music in the intro to Agony. Dimmu Borgir did a semi-cover of it on their Stormblast album.

Demon Cleaner
25th May 2007, 21:10
Dimmu Borgir did a semi-cover of it on their Stormblast album.Why? Are they amiga fans?

LowercaseE
26th May 2007, 01:16
Why? Are they amiga fans?

I don't know to be honest. Agony came out in 1992 and Stormblast came out in 1996 so either they just liked the game music and covered it, or maybe one of the band members actually wrote the game music (I highly doubt the latter).

Teho
26th May 2007, 10:41
You're right, they didn't. Tim Wright did, and there's a small comment about it on ExoticA's Agony page (http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/unexotica/games/Agony.html):

On a final note, Tim goes on to say, "If you'd like to hear a cover version of the ['incorrect'] Agony Intro theme, then get hold of a copy of Stormblast (1996) by Dimmu Borgir. There's a track on there called "Sorgens Kammer" and it's a blatant rip-off of my music. I have contacted them, but they just give me excuses, and it's not worth suing them for the pennies I'd get back - oh well, life sucks!"

But they're both great songs regardless. :)

As for my own favourites, the Pinball Dreams theme is one I never tire of. Also I think most songs in Turrican II are pretty good. Chris Hülsbeck did that, and he remains one of my favourite composers. His soundtrack for Tunnel B1 is pretty good also.

Realms of Arkania had some very nice themes, the theme that plays during the character generation part is particularily memorable.

There's a lot more classic soundtracks I'm forgetting. I remember I thought the Kurushi games had some great music. It was mostly because it sounded like a real orchestra instead of a synthesized one (may actually have been a real one, I don't know), which was very uncommon back then. Nowadays that this is pretty common (synthesized sounding real that is), the Kurushi soundtracks don't hold up that well next to many more recent ones, but they're still pretty memorable to me.

Of recent games I thought the soundtrack to the first God of War was particularily well done. And most of what Jeremy Soule has worked on also sounds pretty good. That would be the Guild Wars games, Dungeon Siege games, Elder Scrolls III and IV, and several others.

Sharingan
11th July 2007, 08:12
If I had to pick a single track out of the zillions of tracks that I have, I'd probably pick Chris Hülsbeck's ending credits theme from Turrican 3. It's got such a soothing melody, I could listen to it for hours without getting tired of it. The ending movie theme from FFX has a similarly strong effect.

If I were to pick a whole soundtrack, I'd likely go for the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu. I've got many fond memories from playing the game, and by listening to the music, I can often relive those moments without actually touching the game. Such is the strength of Uematsu's compositions.

When it comes to soundtracks based on heavy rock music, none comes close to Daisuke Ishiwatari's Guilty Gear X. Hauntingly good.

Harrison
11th July 2007, 16:37
Uematsu's music is great. I can listen to it all day long. One tune that I always love hearing at the beginning of every Final Fantasy game is the classic little tune that plays in the game select screen. For some reason I love that song.

TiredOfLife
11th July 2007, 17:46
Delta theme tune on the start screen.
Commando in game music.
Green Beret loader.
Monty on the run Hi Score screen.
Rambo loader.
Various Ocean loaders.
Shadow of the Beast II end game tune.

Sharingan
11th July 2007, 18:03
One tune that I always love hearing at the beginning of every Final Fantasy game is the classic little tune that plays in the game select screen. For some reason I love that song.

It's a pretty simple melody, but it's nice, and soothing. The official name for the track seems to be 'Prelude'. There's a 'vocal' version of it on the FINAL FANTASY - PRAY album.

Harrison
11th July 2007, 18:05
:hmmm: I've got a lot of FF albums but I don't seem to have the Prey album. What is on it?

Sharingan
11th July 2007, 18:15
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/665/00finalfantasypraypo4.jpg

It contains 11 vocal renditions of selected tracks from Final Fantasy I-VI, sung in different styles and languages (English, Japanese, Portuguese and French). Not everyone's cup of tea, but I find the album to be quite relaxing, and of course, the tracks are all recorded with studio/orchestral equipment, so it's better quality than the synth and chiptunes from the originals.

Harrison
12th July 2007, 10:00
That does sound interesting. I will have to track down a copy of that one. :)

v85rawdeal
12th July 2007, 16:23
I guess the one tune that really does send shives down my spine (good ones) is the title theme for Soul Blade on the PS1 (Which, by the way, I consider to be one of the greatest ever title sequences of any game, anywhere...)

Harrison
12th July 2007, 16:34
That intro sequence is definitely great. I still love watching that.

If any of you haven't seen it, you can here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxrpyv8SNS4)on youtube.

Did you know that in some countries the intro is slightly different. The part where she is bathing and rises out of the water naked was changed as it didn't pass the ccensorship laws in some countries.