PDA

View Full Version : Hiscore Future Game suggestions

Harrison
9th May 2007, 16:21
I think the next hiscore competition is far overdue, so please everyone suggest some games that you would all like to play for the next hiscore competition and then we can pick one and get the competition under way.

:thumbs:

Teho
9th May 2007, 16:28
Then I suggest Creepy Crawlies again. It's a Centipede clone, with some really neat graphics and sound. Has a couple of additions to the original game (some extra enemies and such), but basically, it's Centipede. I think. It's been many years since I actually played it now. Games never last very long either, so should be good for high-score competition.

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2007, 16:46
Pod was already a Centipede clone.

Teho
9th May 2007, 16:54
Nah, I disagree. Pod is very similar in many ways, but was different enough to be something else entirely. It never reminded me of Centipede anyway, it reminded me more of Gridrunner if anything.

But still, it's just a suggestion. How about Twintris then? It was briefly mentioned in another topic, and I still consider that the best Tetris game I've ever played.

Harrison
9th May 2007, 16:56
Twintris would be cool, or another puzzle style game like Klax.

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2007, 17:12
Or Brix, I always liked that one. I will definitely not play Tetris in my whole life anymore.

Puni/Void
9th May 2007, 18:36
If you guys are interested, we could do a competition in Warblade with time-trial mode. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the game though.

I agree with Teho that Twintris would be fun.

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2007, 18:44
I don't know Warblade, what kind of game is it?

Puni/Void
9th May 2007, 18:50
Warblade is a Galaga clone made by Edgar M. Vigdal, the guy who brought us Deluxe Galaga on the Amiga. If you are interested in checking it out, head over to www.warblade.as.

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2007, 21:15
Wow, that one looks pretty good. Very colorful.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 21:58
Sounds good to me, Deluxe Galaga is cool!

Harrison
9th May 2007, 23:19
Warblade is a great game, but wouldn't everyone need to buy the game to play it properly? Or would everyone be able to do the time trial from the demo?

Have you also seen that the same developer has also updated Deluxe Pacman for the PC? Now called Deluxe PocMon http://www.warblade.as/pocmon/

Teho
10th May 2007, 03:49
Warblade is a great game, but wouldn't everyone need to buy the game to play it properly?

Yes, because as you reach higher scores the game unlocks things which makes it easier to get even higher scores. You have to have an account in the game for these bonuses to save permanently, and one limitation of the demo is that you can create accounts, but they don't save so when you quit the demo you lose everything.

That's another thing I guess. Me and other's who've had this game a while should create new accounts in the game for this competition then, so we start from scratch same as everyone else.

Submeg
10th May 2007, 04:18
Hmmm...so how would I go about accquiring such a game?

Puni/Void
10th May 2007, 07:07
I think the time-trial mode is available in the demo version, which can be downloaded for free from the Warblade site. If we all use this version, there shouldn't be any problems.

Harrison
10th May 2007, 08:36
That is true. I will give the demo version a try today to see if we can use it for the competition. If so I will get a quick score and get the competition started.

Submeg
13th May 2007, 21:52
Ok so whats the deal? I have this game, have played it, and have received a high score. Is there a lock on how man levels you can do or something? If not then it works perfectly.

TiredOfLife
13th May 2007, 23:00
Why not just play Deluxe Galaga?

Submeg
14th May 2007, 00:07
:lolup: so true

TiredOfLife
14th May 2007, 11:35
Be good to play Deluxe again.
No messing around with demo versions or whatever.
Plus I can join in with that comp as I don't have a PC.
:p

Harrison
14th May 2007, 14:37
That is a good point. Tiredoflife would be left out if we go with the PC version, so lets stick with the Amiga original of Deluxe Galaga. Although we have already run Deluxe Galaga as a hiscore competition on the old forum.

Does everyone want to play it again? Or pick something else?

Teho
14th May 2007, 16:12
I say go with something else. Though it's been a good while since we played Deluxe Galaga, I think there's still plenty of other games to compete in before we need to do repeats. :)

But I also agree that we should stick to Amiga games, to stick with the spirit of this board.

Puni/Void
15th May 2007, 18:50
I would love to participate in a Deluxe Galaga competition, but I can understand if you would like to play something else. And when thinking about it, I agree that it would be better to stick to Amiga competitions. Sadly I don't have any particular suggestions at the moment, but I will try to think of something.

TiredOfLife
15th May 2007, 22:53
Xenon2 anyone?

Submeg
16th May 2007, 00:17
Which is?? I have never heard of that one! :thumbs:

Harrison
16th May 2007, 00:19
You've never heard of Xenon 2? :o

Personally I would prefer the first Xenon. Or R-Type maybe.

Submeg
16th May 2007, 00:30
Nope! Lol Im only a young'n :unsure:

TiredOfLife
16th May 2007, 10:23
Not heard of Xenon2?
How young is young?

Harrison
16th May 2007, 12:06
In that case I think we should definitely play Xenon for this next competition, and then Xenon 2 for the next one after that. I especially love the first of these games. The little video capture "sector one" etc was really cool at the time.

Demon Cleaner
16th May 2007, 12:22
Here's a link to a very good site with info on Xenon :lol:

Link to Xenon (http://www.classicamiga.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=160&Itemid=96)

Submeg
16th May 2007, 12:29
Sweet looks good! So when do we start?

TiredOfLife
16th May 2007, 22:26
Harrison
Don't suppose you want to do it the other way round?
My installed version is playing up.
Will take a bit of effort getting hold of the original as it's in my loft and I haven't got ladders yet.

Demon Cleaner
17th May 2007, 07:39
I don't think everyone here has the game anyway, so we should provide it, and post it in the private d/l section.

Harrison
17th May 2007, 11:35
I agree, and that is something I will do for each competiton anyway so that everyone can take part.

If we provide the adf for Xenon would you then be able to play TiredOfLife? You could convert the adf's back on to disk to use on a real Amiga if needed.

Demon Cleaner
17th May 2007, 13:13
Xenon is attached in the private section.

Harrison
17th May 2007, 13:27
Cool. I will launch the competition this afternoon. Hope everyone has fun.

TiredOfLife
17th May 2007, 15:30
No problem converting back and running from floppy.
The original would be best as I could install it using WHD.
But needs must I suppose.

Harrison
17th May 2007, 15:36
That is the only annoying thing with WHD needing the original disks and not allowing most cracked versions to work with the installers.

Demon Cleaner
17th May 2007, 17:36
I have some cracked and trained versions, but I thought the one I posted was not cracked. I also have an SPS version.

Harrison
18th May 2007, 00:31
If you would like to see a game used for a future hiscore competition, please post it here and it will be considered for a furture competition.

We mainly want to run Amiga games for the competitions, but please feel free to also suggest other retro games that can easily be emulated, such as for the SNES, Megadrive, or MAME.

Newer games for the PC can also be suggested, but please consider how easily all members will be able to play it for the competition. We don't want to stop anyone from taking part.

TiredOfLife
19th May 2007, 18:22
Having a bugger of a time getting this unpacked.
Any chance of an LHA/LZX/ZIP version?
Cheers

Demon Cleaner
20th May 2007, 23:12
I'll post a zip version.

EDIT: Oh it has already been done.

Harrison
18th September 2007, 14:52
As we haven't had many scores submitted for the Xenon competition, and it has been running for some time now, I think it's time we start another new hiscore competition (and leave the Xenon one running for anyone to continue submitting scores).

So if you have a game you would like to see as the next hiscore competition game please post your suggestions here. The only requirements are that it is an Amiga game, and that it is hiscore based and contains a hiscore table. I look forward to seeing what you would like to play next. :)

Puni/Void
18th September 2007, 18:18
I have a few suggestions for new high-score competitions. Some of them might have been mentioned earlier, but I'll add them again, in case they are forgotten.

- Slamtilt (My favourite pinball game on the Amiga)
- Parasol Stars (Cute platform game)
- Banshee (Fast and furious shoot'em up)
- Super Stardust (Ho ho ho!)

Hope some of you would be interested in having a go at one of these games. I presume I am allowed to use my CD32 for playing one of them (if they get selected for the compo)?
;) Then I can take a snapshot with my camera and upload the score.

Submeg
25th September 2007, 12:03
Zool anyone?

Puni/Void
14th October 2007, 20:29
Any more ideas concerning the upcoming competitions? When is the next one going to start?

Vote Slamtilt!

Harrison
14th October 2007, 20:31
I liked all of your original suggestions so I think I will begin the next competition this evening.

We will start with Slam Tilt this week and run the competition for one month before announcing a winner. Then we will run a Super Stardust competition after that as I love that game.

Have fun and enjoy. I will create the actual competition thread now to get it started. :)

Puni/Void
14th October 2007, 20:38
Woohoo! Thanks mate! Looking forward to have some goes at good old Slamtilt. :)

As for Super Stardust, Teho is an old veteran, so I guess he'll kick our asses in that game. :D

Teho
14th October 2007, 20:50
Actually I never played Super Stardust, only the original ECS Stardust. I did use to get pretty far in it, but when I tried it again recently I was terrible at it. That game really is bloody hard, and practise is definitely required to get anywhere. I expect Super Stardust isn't much different in that regard at least.

If we were to compete in the new Super Stardust HD on the PS3 on the other hand.. ;)

v85rawdeal
15th October 2007, 10:13
Digging through my collection of games and I found Grand Monster Slam... would that work for a highscore competition game-type?

Harrison
15th October 2007, 10:49
I didn't know that game, so had a quick look and it seems like it could be fun.

Any game that uses a hiscore system should work for a competition so if it has one it should be ok for a future one.

Demon Cleaner
16th October 2007, 23:08
Pinball games are always good for a competition.

manu
7th January 2008, 22:24
and why not deluxe galaga ?
fun game too :thumbs:

i think i've lost my xp with time.... :no:
someone better ? :whistle:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2077/halloffamemanu2mu6.png

Harrison
7th January 2008, 22:49
We have played Deluxe Galaga a very long time ago for the competition, but we can definitely run it again if we have enough interest. We definitely need to start the next competition this month.

Submeg
8th January 2008, 08:35
Im up for that, I sucked at the pinball, it didnt like me at all

Harrison
8th January 2008, 10:07
OK. I will conclude the current pinball comp. today then and launch a new DGalaga one.

For everyone wanting to play, the game download is available on the main site in the Amiga/Downloads section.

Puni/Void
9th January 2008, 16:20
Wow! Deluxe Galaga competiton! The prayers has been heard! :)

TiredOfLife
9th January 2008, 23:15
Ah mindless violence, how we love you so.

Have just finished rereading Only You Can Save Mankind.

So I am in the mood for this.

There will be no Johnny to save you now my little green friends.

Buleste
10th January 2008, 08:26
Ahhh Deluxe Galaga. A game that i enjoy but suck at more than a $2.00 whore.

The Johnny Maxwell trilogy is superb.

v85rawdeal
10th January 2008, 10:29
Ahhh Deluxe Galaga. A game that i enjoy but suck at more than a $2.00 whore.

The Johnny Maxwell trilogy is superb.

$2 whores don't suck... They just play with the joystick... er, not that I am speaking from experience!!!

Harrison
7th April 2008, 12:26
The next competition is going to be Twintris. :)

Buleste
7th April 2008, 12:31
Looks like i'm only going to have the one award for a while then.;)

Teho
7th April 2008, 15:00
Ooh, need to warm up my tetris-muscle I see. Twintris was always my favourite Tetris game, but I really haven't been playing it much recently.

There are two versions of it in the TOSEC set by the way, one released by Digital Marketing and the other released by the author Svein Berge. They do have differences in the gameplay (arcade levels aren't the same for one), so it will be necessary to specify exactly which release we will be playing.

Buleste
7th April 2008, 15:05
I'm practising on the KGWHDLoad version. And doing very badly i might add.

Harrison
7th April 2008, 15:41
There are two versions of it in the TOSEC set by the way, one released by Digital Marketing and the other released by the author Svein Berge. They do have differences in the gameplay (arcade levels aren't the same for one), so it will be necessary to specify exactly which release we will be playing.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I will therefore include an ADF to use in the competition and enforce that the included version needs to be used. I will also list anything else such as difficulty level or mode to be played in when I launch the competition.

Teho
7th April 2008, 16:30
:) No problem. I'll add that if we're playing arcade mode I suggest go for the Digital Marketing one. It has more levels, and there's one particularily nasty one that shows up way too early in the other version imo.

As for the other game modes, I don't know if there are any differences between the different versions.

Harrison
7th April 2008, 16:49
I will have a play around with both versions before I launch the competition to quickly see what the differences are and which to use.

Submeg
11th April 2008, 07:31
Twintris? WHat? never played it :unsure:

Buleste
11th April 2008, 09:41
Twintris? WHat? never played it :unsure:

You've played Tetris havn't you? Well basically it's that for two players.

Demon Cleaner
14th April 2008, 06:19
The next competition is going to be Twintris. :)Omg, I hate Tetris games :( I played a lot of Twintris with my girlfriend back then in 1990, and lost all the time against her, that just made me go crazy. We played the Svein Berge version, I can remember that.

Harrison
22nd October 2008, 09:50
For the next competition I think we should return to a classic Amiga game, SWIV. I hope you all like the game and know how to rack up a decent score. ;)

Puni/Void
1st July 2009, 19:13
Any news on the next competition? Could Time Trial in Warblade be an alternative?

Puni/Void
9th July 2009, 15:16
Or maybe Deluxe Pacman or another Pacman game? Such a game would be excellent, as it doesn't take much time to get into and play.

Puni/Void
17th November 2009, 12:19
Compo time! We need a new compo! ;) Come on! :D

Harrison
17th November 2009, 12:50
I agree. It is time to try and get another one going.

What about if I try to get a cross site one going between us and Amibay? I expect some members on there might also be interested.

Puni/Void
18th November 2009, 12:43
I agree. It is time to try and get another one going.

What about if I try to get a cross site one going between us and Amibay? I expect some members on there might also be interested.

Sounds marvellous! I'm sure many of the AmiBay members will be interested in participating. :thumbs:

Here's a few suggestions for games:

- SlamTilt
- Pinball Fantasies
- Pinball Dreams
- Deluxe Pacman
- Pang

I know we've played some of the pinball games before, but since there are many new members of both Classicamiga and AmiBay, I thought they should get a chance to play as well. :) Pinball on Amiga rules.

Submeg
5th August 2020, 09:52
Oh man, this brings back memories...