PDA

View Full Version : Hiscore Xenon Hiscore Competition

Harrison
17th May 2007, 17:58
Xenon - Hiscore Competition

Welcome to the next classicamiga hiscore competition.

This time we are playing the classic Bitmap Brothers game, Xenon.

Quite a traditional vertical scrolling shooter that turned out to be quite revolutionary at the time thanks to it's dual move of play, being able to both fly around the screen and convert your ship into a ground vehicle by wiggling the mouse quickly or hitting space. It was also one of the first game to contain digitised video.

http://www.classicamiga.com/images/stories/jreviews/games/x/xenon_01.png

The competition is as always, get the hiscore and take a screenshot of the hiscore table with your username entered for that score. Then upload your screenshot to the members arcade on the main site and then link to the image in this thread to prove your score.

Good luck everyone. I hope you all have fun playing this great game. After this we will then move on to the sequel Xenon 2 for the next competition.

Game to be played: Xenon.
Platform: Amiga A500 OCS/ECS
Emulator: WinUAE (quickstart config: A500 - 1.3ROM, OCS, 512KB Chip RAM 512KB Slow ram)
Difficulty Level: Normal
Length of Competition: Extended! (ending Friday 27th July '07)
Competition Rules: Obtain the highest score!

Points to be won:

1st Place: | 5000 points
2nd Place: | 2000 points
3rd Place: | 500 points
Game Files: The ADF for Xenon can be found in the Private Downloads forum. Let me know if you need the password to access that area of the forum.

Demon Cleaner
31st May 2007, 11:46
I tested the game, long time ago I've played it. It's a bit tough, cannot get past the first boss.

There's no hi-score list in the game (or is there?), so you must be quick to take a snapshot. Is this the best way to post the pics?

http://www.classicamiga.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10070/normal_001.png

So the score is 15.950

TiredOfLife
7th July 2007, 17:08
Finally got into the loft to find my copy of this.
That's corrupted as well.
Can't install it.
It will play from the floppy though, so could have been worse.

Harrison
7th July 2007, 17:21
So you can finally have a go at the hiscore?

I'm surprised no one has submitted any hiscores yet. I thought this one would have been more popular. I will see what score I can do myself this coming week.

TiredOfLife
8th July 2007, 18:40
Yes, in the machine and all set to go.
Must admit, thought there would have been a lot more entries for this one.

Puni/Void
8th July 2007, 19:03
Haven't given it a go yet, but I will for sure one of the coming days. :)

Demon Cleaner
9th July 2007, 05:47
I'm surprised no one has submitted any hiscores yet.Although just a test, but I submitted mine ;) Don't think I'll get more than that.

Puni/Void
10th July 2007, 16:41
http://www.classicamiga.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10068/normal_PG_-_Xenon.jpg

My first try at Xenon in the high-score competition. The game was for sure a lot harder than I remembered. ;)

The score is 20190

Harrison
10th July 2007, 17:02
You are telling me! I used to be able to play through the first two stages without losing a life! Now I cannot even get to the end of the first stage.

Maybe it is true what people are saying. Games have become easier and we have become used to their difficulty? I don't think that is the case. I just think this style of game isn't common these days so it is harder to get back into it with the fast reactions and timing needed.

Demon Cleaner
10th July 2007, 18:57
Games nowadays are very different, as also the size varies a lot. We get huge levels, big intros, long cutscenes and a lot more freedom in the games. Thus the difficutly is reduced.

Older games tend to be more arcade like, where you had to pay coins to play. Imagine GTA on a cabinet, you would play forever.

The hardware also didn't allow to develop the kind of games we are used to play now.

Submeg
11th July 2007, 01:09
Older games tend to be more arcade like, where you had to pay coins to play. Imagine GTA on a cabinet, you would play forever.

Yea that would be crazy, you know how much money they would make? :o

Harrison
11th July 2007, 01:24
This is very true. As hardware technology has improved the games have expanded to give us more freedom and greater game worlds to explore. In the 16-bit era hardware had many limitations which normally meant a game stuck to a specific genre instead of today where many bridge across many.

Demon Cleaner
16th July 2007, 19:04
http://www.classicamiga.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10070/normal_Xenon_%281988%29%28Melbourne_House%29_001%7E0.png

Next try. 22890 points.

By the way, want to mention that the coppermine gallery is by far the crappiest gallery I've ever used, and exactly for that reason I don't use it anymore. Only trying to use it for the competitions. Crap Thang!!!!

Harrison
16th July 2007, 23:50
What's wrong with coppermine?

Demon Cleaner
17th July 2007, 01:04
The most annoying thing is, that whenever doing something, you have to click on continue, and it throws you right back to the index screen, so that you have to click through 3 screens to get back to where you actually were.

Anyway, I only use it for the competitions, nothing to worry about. It's just like with software, some like it, some don't, and I myself don't like Coppermine.

Puni/Void
7th August 2007, 15:56
Is the competition over or is it allowed to post more scores?

Harrison
7th August 2007, 16:33
Everyone is welcome to continue posting scores. We don't have enough for the competition to be closed yet so I will keep it under way to allow anyone to continue trying to get a good score.

Also if you have some ideas for the next games competition that you would all like to play please post suggestions in the correct thread.

Demon Cleaner
25th October 2007, 14:04
Is the competition closed? You should give the points then, although not a lot of competitors :dry:

Harrison
25th October 2007, 15:00
Nope. Due to a lack of entries I'm just going to leave this one open so others can submit scores at a later date if and when they make some. Hopefully we will see more members entering the current pinball comp.

Harrison
7th April 2008, 11:48
As there has been very little enthusiasm about this competition (only two members entered!!!), as it seems everyone found this game quite hard, I've now closed it. All getting soft in your old age I think! ;)

The winners are as follows:

Rank|Name|Points
1st|Demon Cleaner|22,890|
2nd|P G|20,190|

Congratulations to you both. Not very good scores at all, but it just goes to show that if you even enter a low score you are in with a chance of winning, and so you each get some forum points and a load of points in the hiscore competition leaderboard standings. :thumbs:

And on Friday I will be launching a new hiscore competition. Game will be revealed with the launching of the new comp. ;)