PDA

View Full Version : PS3 firmware 2.0 to be released

Demon Cleaner
15th May 2007, 06:15
There will be a new PS3 firmware out soon, with following features:

* Users
o You can now password-protect user accounts.

* Settings
o [Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
o [Energy Saver] has been added as an option.
o [Equalizer] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
o [Full] has been added as an option for [DVD Wide Display] under [BD / DVD Settings].
o [Photo Settings] has been added as an option.
o [PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option.
o [RSS Channel Settings] has been added as an option.
o [Sample Rate] has been added to [Audio CD Import] under [Music Settings].
o [Screen Saver] has been expanded under [Display Settings].
o The method of selecting an output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].
o [Theme Settings] has been added as an option.
o [Zero Unused Disk Space] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Format Utility].

* Photo
o Additional slideshows have been added.
o [Photo Effects] have been added as a feature.
o Wallpaper feature has been added.
o [Zoom] has been added as a feature.

* Music
o Additional visualizations have been added.
o CD information can now be entered.
o Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.

* Video
o Files can now be played sequentially.
o Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
o You can now select [Zoom] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.
*An appropriate USB adapter (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.

* Game
o Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded.
o XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.

* Network
o [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature.

* Friends
o You can now have multiple chat sessions.
o You can now select an image to use as your Avatar from [Photo].

* Other
o Date & Time is now shown when the PS button is pressed.
o File sorting has been changed.
o [Help] has been added as a feature.
o Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles.
To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
o [Secure Delete] has been added as an option.
o Some PLAYSTATION®Network features have been revised.

Harrison
15th May 2007, 10:26
There is definitely quite a lot in this new update. Many people have a go at Sony but you have to admit that they do work hard on firmware updates. Look at all the additions they have made to the PSP since its launch.

Some argue that those are just to combat firmware hackers, but that's not true as many new features are added to most PSP releases, and it seems the same is true of the PS3.

One entry that interested me was "Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded." Any idea what this means by "expanded"? I assumed that out of the box the PS3 can run all of its own region software so what can this mean? Other region compatibility? Surely not!

Now we just need the PS3 equivalent of Dark_AleX to get to work on this firmware and release a nice "custom" version.

AlexJ
15th May 2007, 10:44
One entry that interested me was "Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded." Any idea what this means by "expanded"? I assumed that out of the box the PS3 can run all of its own region software so what can this mean?

I'm guessing that Sony's going to have it so that new PS3 releases will only work on the new firmware to ensure everyone upgrades.

Harrison
15th May 2007, 10:54
Oh yeah, that's a good point. Although I've never seen them list it as Support for software has been expanded. They never have for the PSP anyway.

Teho
15th May 2007, 14:54
It may be more backend features that the developers of games may take advantage of. There always was talk there would be support for games to be programmed to act differently depending on the country the console is in, the age or gender of the user etc. For example, Germany's crazy censorships may not need a separate version to be made, the game could just be programmed to remove gore if played on a console in Germany. Things like that. Could be something like that's what that support update is.

And it's very true about Sony being very active in updating their firmwares. This is the third one allready since the European launch in late March; The consoles were shipped with 1.50 but 1.60 was available allready on the evening of the launchday. Then 1.70 came out two or three weeks ago, and now 2.00 is around the corner. So what happened to 1.80 and 1.90?

AlexJ
15th May 2007, 15:10
Then 1.70 came out two or three weeks ago, and now 2.00 is around the corner. So what happened to 1.80 and 1.90?

Enough changes were made to justify moving up a major version as opposed to a minor version.

Harrison
15th May 2007, 15:20
The same happened on the PSP. It's firmware jumped from 2.81 to 3.01 due to major differences.

BTW, I wanted to ask something regarding the PS3. I've been reading that none of the current standalone Blu-Ray players can access any of the custom java based content on the discs. Can the PS3 access it?

Obviously it has the big advantage of being a powerful computer so would definitely be able to run Java applications from the discs very easily and smoothly. I just wondered if the functionality had been included in the firmware yet.

Teho
15th May 2007, 16:26
No, it hasn't. But it probably will eventually. According to Wikipedia, there are a couple of players that support it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J#Players_Supporting_BD-J

By the way, this entire story about the 2.00 release and feature list was originally a rumour posted on some message board a couple of days ago. I've seen it mentioned on a couple of other message boards too. And according to one, Sony's official word is that there's no truth to this rumour. There was no link though.

Teho
23rd May 2007, 15:51
Right, no news about this 2.00 firmware. But the release of 1.80 has now been confirmed (http://www.ps3blog.net/2007/05/23/firmware-18-adds-dvd-upscaling-and-global-remote-play/):

Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house,

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

DVD, PS1 and PS2 upscaling! :w00tdance: And finally we can stream media across the local network, I knew that had to be coming.

Harrison
23rd May 2007, 17:08
That is great news. A lot of good improvements. The Upscaling is a cool feature. I wonder if they will add any texture smoothly or anti aliasing technology to this similar to the PS2s PS1 abilities?

And the streaming media is definitely another great addition. I was very tempted to eventually buy a Xbox 360 for this feature alone as it was much better than the marginally cheaper standalone media streaming boxes, but if the PS3 is gaining this ability then I will just get a PS3 and not bother with the 360 at all.

BTW, have you seen there is already talk about firmware 3 for the PS3, and version 2 is not even out yet! And this is meant to have some close ties with major updates in the PSP 4 firmware also currently in development.

Demon Cleaner
23rd May 2007, 18:19
BTW, have you seen there is already talk about firmware 3 for the PS3, and version 2 is not even out yet!I read that somewhere yesterday, but can't remember where exactly. But let's wait, no hurry.