PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 8800GTS 640MB on Amazon £131.69

Agram
13th May 2007, 13:36
Before people get too excited, there is a 4 to 6 week delivery time :( I'm thinking if I see a better offer in that time period then I'll cancel my order. Especially as ATi new releases out on Monday)

Amazon page (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-nFire-8800GTS-640MB-PCIE/dp/B000Q2SAKE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/203-0854867-1541547?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1179059299&sr=8-1)

Zotac site (http://www.zotac.com/gf8800.htm)

I've noticed on Amazon it has "Item model number: ZT-88SE640-FSP", but looking at the 640MB version on Zotac that the SKU is ZT-88SE640-FSS (last letter is different).

Zotac (never heard of them before) are meant to be a retail channel brand name for PC Partner, some big behind the scenes Chinese manufacturer.

J T
14th May 2007, 09:52
That Amazon page has a price of 500 quid now.... :blink:

Harrison
14th May 2007, 15:34
Shows that must have been an error originally. Shame none of us bought one before they changed it!

J T
14th May 2007, 16:49
I bet they find a way of not honouring that original price. Would've been good to get a brute of a card for a price like that.

Harrison
14th May 2007, 16:58
I'm sure that if a price is displayed on a website, and continues to go through when being ordered, that the website/company has to honour it. That has happened in the past.

J T
14th May 2007, 17:41
I've read about ways to get out of it though, as of course companies do not like losing money like that. I think that they should honour it as they made the mistake, but then again if I were a shopkeeper (or suchlike) I'd see it from a different angle.

It seems to be a grey area, some cases the sellers are forced to honour the cheap price, and at other times the purchaser being told that they couldn't reasonably expect to have got something valuable so cheaply.

Bit divided on this one actually.

Teho
14th May 2007, 17:47
Well in Amazon's case, I think they'd honour the price. They don't seem afraid to lose some money anyway, or at least that's my experience. One package I ordered from them never arrived once, and once I informed them they sent a new one without even doing any checking at all, just took my word for it. Of course, that package was only worth £30 or so, but still.

AlexJ
14th May 2007, 18:25
Well in Amazon's case, I think they'd honour the price. They don't seem afraid to lose some money anyway, or at least that's my experience. One package I ordered from them never arrived once, and once I informed them they sent a new one without even doing any checking at all, just took my word for it. Of course, that package was only worth £30 or so, but still.

On past form Amazon would not have honoured the deal. See this (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/03/19/no_legal_recourse_for_buyers/) for a precedent.

Agram
14th May 2007, 19:00
I ordered one, and picked the free P&P option. Confirmation email has 14th June for delivery, but will see if deal is honoured.

As Amazon doesn’t deduct any money until nearer despatch, I won't have been inconvenienced if they chicken out.

Harrison
15th May 2007, 01:00
I've never managed to order an incorrectly priced item from them yet, but a couple of years ago I ordered a load of DVDs and CDs from them and when I opened the parcel it also contained someone else's complete order for the first two series of Farscape on DVD! Obviously they never realised it had been sent to me as it was packaged inside of my order so they never knew. :)

Submeg
15th May 2007, 05:19
Bonus!! :)

Teho
15th May 2007, 15:41
A good one at that, Farscape is a great series. :)

Harrison
15th May 2007, 16:30
It was a very good series. Shame it lost its way a bit in the third series and became a bit too eccentric and abstract for it's own good. It ended up being a series where missing one episode caused confusion from them on.

For me Farscape felt the most like an update to Blake's 7. Did anyone else think the same?

Agram
25th May 2007, 18:06
Cancellation e-mail received today. Oh well, at least my electricity usage won’t be increasing.

Submeg
25th May 2007, 22:20
Damn, almost got a bargain....