PDA

View Full Version : How many floppy disks did/do you own?

Harrison
9th May 2007, 11:42
Having been a big collector of Amiga software back in the Amiga days, collecting everything from games, demos, PD, shareware, applications, utilities and coverdisks I amassed a huge collection of Amiga floppy disks over the years.

I've also obtained a lot more since by being given other peoples complete Amiga collections. This included a friend who hadn't used his A500+ for years and just gave it to me with a few disk boxes containing around 300 disks full of games and other software. Another was a huge collection of disks I got with my A4000 which I bought from a friend at university.

In total (I haven't counted them all) I estimate I have at least 3000 floppy disks! :o

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2007, 12:41
In total (I haven't counted them all) I estimate I have at least 3000 floppy disks!That is a lot. I used to have about 300 disks, which I overwrote regularly. Then again some were sold, and finally I sold everything together with my amiga.

When I bought an amiga again, it came with 100-120 disks, which I still have, and those were all Fish disks.

Harrison
9th May 2007, 12:53
It definitely is a lot and I am constantly trying to find ways to store all of the disk boxes. It is a losing battle!

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:30
Lol, you know eventually the boxes will eat you

Harrison
9th May 2007, 14:54
That is one constant worry I have had to live with for many years now. One day I will find myself waking inside a disk box and not be able to find my way out. It haunts me to the extent of night terrors.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:55
This is quite a serious condition. It's called:

Myobsessionitis. It is quite common, but commonly misdiagnosed. You must seek immediate medical attention

Harrison
9th May 2007, 15:00
I have the feeling many of us could be suffering from this condition. Do we need help? or is this forum really out support network? ;)

Submeg
9th May 2007, 15:01
I think it maybe, my cds are getting out of control...lol

Harrison
9th May 2007, 15:02
Just think of poor DC. He must stay awake most nights with the worry that his console collection will one day eat him alive!

Submeg
9th May 2007, 15:11
I think they will become a massive transformer and crush him...

Merlin
9th May 2007, 16:11
Hmm... originally, I had bazillions of floppies, I kept them in plastic trays about 2 feet by 18 inches which stacked, and they stacked at least eight trays high...it was mental and the missus was going spastic about them.

Now, about 500 or so, recently acquired and I need to sort through them.

Merlin

AlexJ
9th May 2007, 16:16
I count 6 100-disk holders full, plus all the boxed games I aquired with my A1200 some five years ago.

650 at a rough estimate?

Teho
9th May 2007, 16:19
I reckon it's 201-300 but I never really counted. Like Demon I kept overwriting old ones that I never used anyway when I needed to.

Those were the ones I used back in the day anyway, but there might be a couple hundred more actually when I think about it. Since I've also aquired a couple of friends complete collections as they've dropped them off here when they've been getting rid of their old stuff. Probably around 500 disks in total I guess.

Harrison
9th May 2007, 16:29
Hmm... originally, I had bazillions of floppies, I kept them in plastic trays about 2 feet by 18 inches which stacked, and they stacked at least eight trays high...it was mental and the missus was going spastic about them.

Now, about 500 or so, recently acquired and I need to sort through them.

Merlin

Again I come back to the comparison with shoes and handbags. Why is it that it is perfectly fine for them to collect and store so many shoes and handbags all over the house, but if we are actively collecting anything it isn't seem as being good and they will do everything they can to get you to throw whatever it is out?

Submeg
9th May 2007, 16:37
jealously. It has to be

Stephen Coates
9th May 2007, 17:44
About 70ish.

Not counted exactly.

I do need to get some more proper containers as my amount of Amiga disks is increasing and I just have a lot of them lying around oll over the place.

v85rawdeal
10th May 2007, 17:47
Not as many as I used to have. I used to have about 2 copies of every game that i had... and I had collected hundreds of games during my time with the A500, to the point that they took up my wardrobe meant for my clothes. (And my mum wondered why I never put my clothes away ;) !!)

Now I own about 100-200 (I think) and that takes up way less space.

TiredOfLife
11th May 2007, 00:17
Ticked 500+
Not sure.
There are stacks of the buggers all over my computer room.
They just seem to come so many at a time each night and never go back when day breaks.
Every so often I have to round them up and send them back to the cupboard.

Puni/Void
22nd May 2007, 09:06
I've gotten rid of hundreds upon hundres upon hundreds of floppies. Most of them went in the trash, as those disks was more or less useless. :(

I decided to keep many of them hough, about 1000-1200 I think. These disks does mostly contain old demoscene stuff, but there are also some games here and there.

wilsonsamm
26th May 2007, 22:16
I have about two or three hundred in the cupboard and another twenty-odd that I use most in a small earl grey box near my computer. Well, the box broke, so like my Amiga I fixed it with a beer can.

These twenty-odd have my favourite demos, some games, workbench 2.04, some tools etc.

Puni/Void
11th June 2007, 16:27
Hehe.. There's nothing than can't be fixed with a can of beer! ;)

Rebb/TRSI
4th July 2007, 17:12
Or two :fool:

Submeg
4th July 2007, 23:36
What bottles or slabs? :hmmm:

Puni/Void
7th November 2007, 20:07
As I don't know what a slab is, I looked it up in the dictionary:

1. A broad, flat, thick piece, as of stone or cheese.
2. An outside piece cut from a log when squaring it for lumber.
3. Baseball The pitcher's rubber.

What does this mean when it comes to beer?

Stephen Coates
7th November 2007, 20:45
Good question PG.

The only definition I have for slab is like a paving slab which you would find on a pavement or a patio.

As bottles was mentioned I'm guessing it has something to do with strorage?

woody.cool
28th July 2008, 18:28
I own ludicrus amounts of Amiga floppies, some of which may be duplicates. Last cound was 724 floppy disks (that includes games, applications, workbench disks and other software)

Graham Humphrey
28th July 2008, 18:41
I also own hundreds and hundreds of the blighters. I don't use many of them anymore though so I may need a bit of a clearout.

Demon Cleaner
28th July 2008, 18:59
I even own more PS2 games (800+) on CD than Amiga discs :lol: Amiga stuff is on HDD.

Puni/Void
28th July 2008, 19:04
That's one big collection you have there. How many PS2 games has been released throughout the years? Do you almost have a complete collection?

woody.cool
28th July 2008, 19:09
I also own hundreds and hundreds of the blighters. I don't use many of them anymore though so I may need a bit of a clearout.

Mine are all sat in a couple of boxes in the bottom of the wardrobe, next to a couple of boxes with tons of Amstrad CPC tapes in 'em :)

Demon Cleaner
28th July 2008, 19:10
Oh man, there are thousands of PS2 games out there, I'm far away of having a complete collection. But nowadays you can already find torrents of PS2 collections, which are rather huge.

slicer1000
23rd October 2008, 15:20
I must have about 500+ disk. Like demon cleaner I have a large collection of games. I almost have a full Pal set of sega saturn games.

Shoonay
16th June 2009, 09:47
~350 I guess

xpect
16th June 2009, 09:51
I still have all my disks since 1988. A rough estimate is about ~3000+

Phantom
11th March 2010, 12:49
I surely have more than 600 disks, the most of them original. The others are my oldies as a kid.

rbusa
11th March 2010, 19:42
My collection of floppies has about 140 disks, 50 of them are originals with lots of stuff like Monkey Island or Worms:wub:
Most of non-original disks is from 1988-1996

Vangar
14th June 2010, 07:29
I own about 650 Disks, in alphabetical order, yay!

Harrison
14th June 2010, 17:21
That is something of interest. How do you all catalogue your disks?

I tend to have always put everything into genres and then alphabetical order within each.

Graham Humphrey
14th June 2010, 22:13
I catalogue them via the extremely complex system of chucking 'em all in a drawer and then never being able to find the one I want :lol:

Sharingan
14th June 2010, 22:31
Catalogueing? Whasdat?! :thumbs:

Vangar
20th June 2010, 21:25
That is something of interest. How do you all catalogue your disks?

I tend to have always put everything into genres and then alphabetical order within each.

None of the games have boxes, so I have them in a flat-ish clear plastic box with wooden blocks between each letter. It seems to work pretty well, but i'm working on a access database with all the games so i can look them up on the computer first! heh.