PDA

View Full Version : Burnout: Paradise

Demon Cleaner
7th May 2007, 22:38
The next Burnout game will be released on the 360 and the PS3, unfortunately only next winter. I just saw a trailer on TV and my only reaction was:

:eek2:

Harrison
8th May 2007, 12:13
I just watched the trailer and it does look very polished, although even the previous Xbox versions looked really nice. Obviously the move to HD will have the biggest impact and make it look even more amazing.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 03:14
I have been hooked by Burout since Burnout 3, I have revenge and I have to get the new one that is out at the mo

Harrison
9th May 2007, 10:03
Burnout Dominator? I wouldn't bother.

I much preferred Revenge and Takedown (3) over it. It doesn't really add much new except for some of the tracks having more branches so you can take different routes. They have also removed the crash junction mode from the game which is annoying.

About the only thing going for it is the slightly improved graphics. Well they say and the reviews say they are, but again I think revenge looks better. Also Dominator seems much easier.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 13:33
oh really? cheers Harrison! saved me some cash

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2007, 15:35
Yeah, Dominator is easier, you can often make a whole lap with boosting without crashing and taking all the guardrails.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 15:36
well that sucks....the whole point of it was to be hard...

Harrison
9th May 2007, 15:39
Indeed. You can chain together too many boosts in Dominator and it just gets ridiculous and boring too fast. I found myself going back to the previous games within an hour of playing it.

J T
12th May 2007, 20:41
I still have a major fondness for the original burnout. The highway level had some intense traffic and neat scripted events. Plus the ace way the music got more and more frantic the faster you went, and crazy on boost!

What EA gave in polish, the series lost in charm..... that's life and business though.

Harrison
14th May 2007, 15:02
With a lot of games the original first game is always the best when everything is considered. Graphics might get polished, audio and voice acting may improve, but the original in any series had the true innovation and gameplay that all sequels have just copied across.

A great example of this has to be Driver. The first game on the PSX was brilliant and I don't think any of the sequels have matched it properly. The second game for me got too complicated with silly extra bits, the third was the worst by far (although I did still enjoy it) and even parallel lines is missing something. And even today, the graphics may have dating and now look quite pixelated and grainy, but the original still plays just as well.

Demon Cleaner
14th May 2007, 17:34
Test Drive games also tend to go up and down with the quality/playability. The last release (Unlimited) is not bad, but by far not the bast racing game.

Teho
14th May 2007, 17:38
Maybe I should give that one a go. I haven't played any Test Drive games since the first two on Amiga. And I tried the demo of Test Drive 4 on PSX, which I enjoyed but never bought the game for some reason. I guess it's time I tried a Test Drive game again. :)

What EA gave in polish, the series lost in charm..... that's life and business though.

No no, that's just EA. ;)

Harrison
14th May 2007, 18:07
Test Drive Unlimited is definitely a better game that many previously titles in the series. It is also online orientated, set on a tropical island where you can compete against other real players for money, cars etc... you can also play the game offline.

However I did find the car handling a little bit twitchy and floaty, but you can easily get to grips with the control system.

Submeg
14th May 2007, 22:47
So is it a good game or not? I was considering getting that.

Harrison
15th May 2007, 01:04
I've not played it enough to really say if it is really good or not. I just had a quick play around with the game for an hour or so. Seemed to have a lot of options and different things to do, and the graphics are pretty good (on the PS2 version I played). I wouldn't say it is anything that different from all the recent Need for Speed, Test Drive, GTA, PGR etc games. There are so many similar franchise now that they are all starting to blend. The main thing it has going for it is the MMO style online gameplay, if you want that.

Submeg
15th May 2007, 05:17
Hmm, I never really like NFS, so if it is similar to that then...pass.

J T
15th May 2007, 10:58
I got Need for Speed Carbon for Wii at Christmas. It's still sealed up in the shrinkwrap. I'll try and exchange it for something, but at the moment I've got all the games I'm interested in, apart from Kororinpa and that's really a bit of a novelty game and quite similar (in a way) to monkey ball and I haven't really played that much either.

Harrison
15th May 2007, 11:32
You should give NFS:Carbon a go. It's definitely one of the best in the series, although I'm not sure how well they ported it to the Wii as I'm not read any reviews for that version. I've played the PS2 and PC releases and both were good.