PDA

View Full Version : Old Skool Magazines

Demon Cleaner
7th May 2007, 16:18
I just registered at Old Skool UK (if someone knows the site), to take a look at their ASCII magazines. They've released number 5 recently, and the admin posted on which sites he already posted links to the mags. So I proposed to post the links into our main site if he wished, and he agreed.

I will post the magazines on the main site then, but if you want the links also posted here in the forum, I'll make a sticky thread for the mag releases.

Btw, the admin visited our site and was very pleased, here the comment:
Had a quick look at Classic Amiga before and looks a very polished site, will pop in again later and have a better shmooze around. ;)

Submeg
7th May 2007, 21:05
Awesome, the more ppl know about the better it will be....nice.

Demon Cleaner
7th May 2007, 22:40
I added the news to our main site, and also let the admin know, if he wishes to contribute something to our site, he'd be greatly welcome. Sites like HOL and Lemon don't have his ASCII newsletters posted, so I thought it would be great to be able to use them, as they're very good and nostalgic.

Here's what he wrote:

Anyone willing to devote time and effort into promoting a site like yours, deserves loads of input and you have a lot of variety on there and plenty of scope for expansion - great stuff!

Thanks for adding my prod to your list. Hopefully, the more nostalgic users should appreciate the vibe and not completely miss the point like others (*cough RC55).

A link swap would be cool and I'll gladly add Classic Amiga to our list in return. ;)

AlexJ
7th May 2007, 22:48
A quick google: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Old_Skool_UK/index.php?showtopic=995

Harrison
8th May 2007, 12:25
Nice find. It is always great to see people still creating some nice content and artwork using pure ASCII code.

Demon Cleaner
8th May 2007, 12:33
Also member Merlin from the Old Skool board registered now. He mailed me because he was asking if he had to register twice (main site and forum), and I told him that it's still the case. When will that finally be changed?

Harrison
8th May 2007, 13:00
That depends. At the moment the forum and the main site are hosted on completely different servers so they cannot share a common login for both.

Once the main site eventually moves to the dedicated server it would then be possible to relocate the forum onto the same server and set both up to share the same login.

The downside of this is that if the server goes down, crashes etc then both the site and forum will go down together, whereas at the moment if one goes down the other stays up as they don't share anything. The other issue with linking both into a shared account is issues regarding upgrading either the main site or the forum software as, depending on the software used to bridge the accounts between the two, upgrading can only be possible once the developer of the bridging software upgrades it to support both.

Merlin
8th May 2007, 14:27
Hi guys, I have figured it out now, thanks Demon Cleaner.....

Merlin

Demon Cleaner
8th May 2007, 14:28
Hi, welcome to the boards, glad you finally got here. In the above post you can read why you have to double register ;)

Submeg
9th May 2007, 02:27
Cool, that looks like something I will have to check out...when I have some free time in a month or so lol

Harrison
9th May 2007, 08:55
Well, if you stopped playing so many bloody games Submeg... ;)

Harrison
9th May 2007, 08:58
He mailed me because he was asking if he had to register twice (main site and forum), and I told him that it's still the case.

I'm going to add a little note in the registration process of both the site and forum to let new members know that they have to register twice to gain full access to both the site and forum.

I think that maybe many visitors are registering on the main site and then not realising they have to again for the forum, and so are just browsing the forum without registering again.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 12:39
Lol well I guess I better beat them faster then! ;)

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2007, 14:38
I'm going to add a little note in the registration process of both the site and forum to let new members know that they have to register twice to gain full access to both the site and forum.

I think that maybe many visitors are registering on the main site and then not realising they have to again for the forum, and so are just browsing the forum without registering again.Yep, I think that's the best you can do. So at least they know from the very beginning that they have to register twice.

You know, a lot of people are weird. They register at the main site, Ok. Then they go to the forum, see that they have to register again, get annoyed, and leave the site, and never return again. Bang, one member lost.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:39
bah...called lazy. Very weird indeed.

Harrison
9th May 2007, 14:42
Yeah, it is very odd. The only thing I can think is that such people are not actually looking to join an Amiga community long term. They are instead looking for one specific answer to a question, help getting something to work with an emulator/Amiga or are looking for a specific download.

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:42
download most probably