PDA

View Full Version : New to emulation

ali541
29th April 2007, 20:53
hi all i am new to the forum but an avid amiga fan since i was in my nappied. can anyone help me. i need an aamiga emulator that actually work with games and loads of demos. can anyone help or give me dumys guide on where and how to downsload these vital bits so i can re-live my old days/

if you can either send me amessage here or email me at ali541@hotmail.co.uk

look forward to hearing from you

AlexJ
29th April 2007, 22:37
Hi ali541 and welcome to the Classicamiga forums,

We have a guide (http://www.classicamiga.com/index.php?option=com_kb&page=articles&articleid=3&Itemid=130) on the main part of the site which may be of use to you, it details what you need and how to configure it. Let us know if you're having trouble following any of it, and we'll do our best to help out. I've also sent you a PM with another link you may find useful in it.

Harrison
30th April 2007, 11:44
Hello ali541. Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

As Alex mentioned, there is a guide to getting started with emulation on the main site. The guide can be found here:

http://www.classicamiga.com/index.php?option=com_kb&page=articles&articleid=3&Itemid=130

You may need a copy of the kickstart files and some information on where to find adf's of Amiga games and demos. If so let me know and I will give you some more information.

ali541
30th April 2007, 12:39
cheers guys thanks for the quik responses will give the guide a whizz now if i have any problems will contact u lot. cheers again

where can i get a leagal kickstart rom image im looking for the a500 version. i guessi cam stuk pretty fast

Submeg
30th April 2007, 12:43
yea that is the nasty part, they are difficult to find indeed :(

Demon Cleaner
30th April 2007, 13:52
If so let me know and I will give you some more information.There you go.

AlexJ
30th April 2007, 14:47
cheers guys thanks for the quik responses will give the guide a whizz now if i have any problems will contact u lot. cheers again

where can i get a leagal kickstart rom image im looking for the a500 version. i guessi cam stuk pretty fast

Did you get my Private Message? If not go to Google, type in Amiga Kickstart Roms (with no quotation marks) and press "I'm feeling lucky". A500 is Kickstart v1.3

ali541
30th April 2007, 21:32
cheers man just downloaded it. now got to find the adf files i remember somepages where there was some amioga games and demos. i will get in touch again if i need help

Harrison
1st May 2007, 00:25
Have a look at http://www.planetemu.net They host the current complete TOSEC collection of Amiga games in adf format.

Tomski
20th August 2007, 23:07
Hello.

I've downloaded the emulator as an installer and it is now installed.

Please could I have a little help with the next steps please??
I'm not sure if I've acquired a kickstart ROM or not.:hmmm:

Demon Cleaner
21st August 2007, 05:45
The emulator (whether installer or archive) does not include a kickstart ROM. So you might not have one. You have to place the kickstart ROM(s) into a directory and link to the path from within the emulator, but that is all explained in the tutorial.

Tomski
21st August 2007, 12:31
OK, I now have ROMs and I've directed the path to the folder that they're inside.

Please could someone direct me to a failsafe adf game so I can try it out?

PS. In the tutorial it mentions that if you have emulator and roms the 'AMIGA BOOT' screen will run until an adf is present. I do not get the 'AMIGA BOOT' screen!!

HELP

When i attempt to 'start', I get an error window labelled 'crash' ;-

"Crash detected. MiniDump saved as:
C:\Program Files\WinUAE\winuae_1430_20070821_132818.dmp "

It then tries to send an error report to winuae.

???????????????????????????

Harrison
21st August 2007, 12:44
Umm... not sure what the problem could be.

Did you setup WinUAE using the exe installer version of the zipped version? I tend to just download and use the zipped versions. Just extract the contents into a folder and it is ready to run from the winuae.exe icon within.

If you are about this afternoon I can be online in the live chat on the main site to try and help you get it working. Probably sometimes around 3pm UK time.

Tomski
21st August 2007, 12:56
Thankyou, that would be ideal.......... However, I start work at 3pm!:(

I did the installer directy from the main WINuae site.

Perhaps this could be it.....
When directing the path in winuae, I can only specify as far as the folder I have the ROMs in, not each individual ROM. Having said this, when scanning for the ROMs, WINuae does find them.:hmmm:

System requirements issue??

Demon Cleaner
21st August 2007, 13:52
Imo that is an error you get when trying to set up a real harddrive in WinUAE. Don't know why it does the error though.

Harrison
21st August 2007, 14:36
I would suggest trying a slightly older version of WinUAE. 1.4.2 or even 1.3.2 and see if that works.

Once you have set the kickstart roms path, just go into the Quickstart section, select the model of Amiga you wish to emulate and then put an ADF in the DF0: Emulated Floppy Drive and it should then work when you click Start.

I would suggest first selecting an A500 with the default configuration that appears, and then pressing Start. If the emulator is working it will boot to the 1.3 hand holding a disk boot screen. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure why.

If you are at home later tonight after 11pm then I should be online then and can talk live to try and help if you need it.

Ghost
25th November 2007, 22:25
Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread but is there are also a list of commands of WinUAE?
You know, the various button combinations.

Edit:

I have completey forgotten how to work win the program, I can start a game but then I am just stuck.
For some reason WinUAE also doesn't work completely right

Harrison
26th November 2007, 08:15
F12 is the main key you need to know about when using WinUAE. While the emulator is running it will bring the properties window back up and pause the emulation. You can then swap ADFs, change settings etc. All other keys are configurable from this screen.

Ghost
26th November 2007, 18:37
Hello Harrison,

Thanks for helping out.

Brintinacx
6th April 2008, 04:55
Above in this thread, you provided a link to a website that has a huge listing of .adf files for download. First off, I'm in U.S.A., and don't speak that language. Was wondering if there was a english version. Thats not really a big issue, as I did find the game I wanted by searching. However, there is like 30 different listings for the same game. Which one do I download? I don't understand why there is 30 different versions. If someone could go to that site, and check it out for me, I'd appreaciate it. The game I want is Black Crypt.

EDIT: I did find another site. I downloaded Black Crypt. Game started up fine. For those who don't know, it is a Dungeon Crawl RPG. Along the lines of Eye of the Beholder. Anyways, after creating my party of 4 heros, the next thing was a screen asking either to save the game as "Save game A" or "Save game B". I just clicked "A" and then a screen appeared asking me to insert my Save Game disk. And that's where I stopped. I couldn't go any further. I tried clicking the mouse, hitting Enter, and ESC, but nothing. Finally I just exited the game by closing the window. How can I play this game? I don't have a saved gamed disk. The zip file does have 3 adf files in it, disk 1, disk 2, disk 3. How do I load the other disks? I am stumped.

Brintinacx
6th April 2008, 06:25
Sorry for writing so much. I hope you don't kick me. I got Black Crypt to work. I figured it out myself. I made a text file, and saved it as a .adf file. Next I used the tool in Winuae's menu, to create a Standard floppy, I named the Disk label "savegame". Works fine, however, I also downloaded Pool of Radiance, and am having trouble getting that to work. Has anyone gotten Pool of Radiance to work?

Submeg
6th April 2008, 11:50
Hi Brintinacx, when games ask for a save disk, the easiest thing to do is to search for an empty disk .adf. I can't remember where I found it though....then just copy it a few times and use it for save game files.

What is happening in Pool of Radiance???

Teho
6th April 2008, 17:21
If all else fails, you could also make a copy of any one of your adf files, and use WinUAE to format it just like you would a real floppy on a real amiga. That will usually work, but is just about the most long-winded method. Better to download an existing one if you can find it.

Brintinacx
6th April 2008, 18:43
I'm not sure i follow you. Here is what is happening, Pool of Radiance is asking for a disk named "pooldata". I did the same thing, when I made my Black crypt disk, using the tool in Winuae's menu. It looks like it is about to accept it, then suddenly a error appears at the bottom of page, say "file not found, check your search path and try again" Then if you click near that error, a box opens up to type in, I assume for the "file path". Got me. Now what was this about searching for a disk? You mean some people that have played the game, they put their own save game .adf's online to download? Thats nice, but at one time, they too had to create a disk, I'm just wondering how.

Also, can you please explain to me, why most of the sites, that I'm getting my .adf's from, have multiple listings for most games. As in the case of Black Crypt, there was at least 20 if not more for the same thing, but they had little "letter" differences in parenthesis. How do I know what these little initials are, and how do I know which version to download?

I am so sorry. I keep figuring things out on my own, and wasting your forum space. The initial disk, "pooldata", that the game requests, is actually Disk 2 of the 2 .adf's I downloaded for the game. You'd think they would name it "pooldata" to avoid confusion. Oh well. I created my characters, and still needed a save disk, which all I did was format a blank .adf, and disk labeled it, "poolsave". Game works fine now. I still am stumped about the 100's of versions of a game. Also, I have so far gotten 2 viruses, from sites, where I downloaded my .adf's from. Luckily my Anti Virus caught them, so no damage was done, but why would people do that? I'd like to find just one virus code writer, and punch him in the freakin face, jerks. I love my Amiga games though! Brings back memories of the 1000's of hours I wasted as a teenager, playing these incredible games.

Teho
6th April 2008, 19:26
The various versions you see are just that, different versions of the same game. One set is the original disks, others are the cracked version and there can be many of those for the more popular games as more than one group cracked them. And completists would like to have all of them available. Some are even non-working versions, they will have a [b] in the filename so you probably want to avoid those.

Edit: Should perhaps add, all those symbols are part of the TOSEC naming convention, very useful as it tells you a lot about the file you have. If you google 'TOSEC naming' or something you should find a list of what it all means.

Brintinacx
6th April 2008, 22:00
Thank you. Thank you very much. You folks here are very helpful. :notworthy:

AlexJ
6th April 2008, 22:00
Guide to TOSEC symbols:

[a] Alternate version
[b] Bad dump
[cr] Cracked
[cr Crack Group] Cracked by Crack Group
[f] Fixed
[f save] - fixed to allow saving
[f copier] - fixed for use on a copier
[f NTSC] - fixed for NTSC systems
[h] Hacked
[h Hacker Group] - Hacked by Hacker Group
[m] Modified
[m Modifier] - Modified by Modifier
[o] Overdump
[p] Pirate (non-licensed)
[t] Trained
[t Trainer Group] - Trained by Trainer Group
[t +5] - Plus five trainer
[tr] Translation
[tr Fr] - Translated to French
[tr En] - Translated to English
[u] Underdump
[!] Verified Good dump

v85rawdeal
7th April 2008, 11:08
Thank you. Thank you very much. You folks here are very helpful. :notworthy:

To be honest, the fact that you are able to solve the problems yourself, and then post the information on the forum, in fact also makes you a very helpful person.

See, it's all good in here. No question is a dumb one...

...allegedly!

Submeg
11th April 2008, 07:24
Guide to TOSEC symbols:

[a] Alternate version
[b] Bad dump
[cr] Cracked
[cr Crack Group] Cracked by Crack Group
[f] Fixed
[f save] - fixed to allow saving
[f copier] - fixed for use on a copier
[f NTSC] - fixed for NTSC systems