PDA

View Full Version : Amiga games emulation within

J T
21st October 2019, 23:06
This came up in my Google News feed recently (even though it's not exactly current).

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/03/you-can-now-play-4500-amiga-games-in-your-browser/

Not that I've tried all that many of them (I tried R-Type at work to see if it would run) but it's super impressive that it works in a browser with just a single click to load.

Kin Hell
28th October 2019, 13:16
Iirc, there was some mention of something like this quite a while ago now.

I'm sure Harrison might recall.

Really gripes me every time I see & have to read this statement:

"The Amiga 500 was the best games machine of the late '80s and early '90s" - from here (https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/03/you-can-now-play-4500-amiga-games-in-your-browser/)

....It was so much more!

J T
28th October 2019, 23:21
Yeah I know what you mean, it really gripes me everytime someone says "JT is the most handsome guy around here"

.... I'm also the funniest, smartest, coolest!

Harrison
5th November 2019, 15:05
Really gripes me every time I see & have to read this statement:

"The Amiga 500 was the best games machine of the late '80s and early '90s" - from here (https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/03/you-can-now-play-4500-amiga-games-in-your-browser/)

....It was so much more!

That always bugs me too. It really was only known as a games machine by so many, epsecially in the UK. A friend had an A500+ in the early 90s and he only loaded Workbench to copy games and occasionally write something in a word processor to print out. Absolutely nothing else productive. Just 99.9% of the time just booted games from disk.

This was really a case of UK and EU marketing more than anything else. Remember in contrast how much Commodore tried to market the C64 as so much more?

Harrison
5th November 2019, 15:07
As for the site emulating Amiga games in a browser, I forget which one it was before. HTML5 based browsers really have enabled far more direct application running from within a browser. It is definitely impressive to see and quit mind blowing for those of use from the 80s.

J T
7th November 2019, 00:45
I also used 'Say' in workbench to make the computer say naughty words.

Demon Cleaner
7th November 2019, 11:32
Why am I not surprised :hmmm::whistle:

Kin Hell
9th November 2019, 11:59
Yeah I know what you mean, it really gripes me everytime someone says "JT is the most handsome guy around here"

.... I'm also the funniest, smartest, coolest!

:lol::lol::lol:

As for the site emulating Amiga games in a browser, I forget which one it was before. <snip>

Wasn't it Lunar Lander or something like that?

J T
13th November 2019, 03:23

Well, what did you use Say for then? I can't believe that there's any Amiga user that didn't at one time put cuss words in there and giggle like a schoolkid

Demon Cleaner
13th November 2019, 06:55
Foreign words to hear them in English f.ex. Sounded funny.

J T
13th November 2019, 21:53
My dear old dad (god rest his soul) used to enjoy finding words that it would significantly mispronounce.

I can't remember many of them now, but 'chemicals' is the first one that springs to mind.

Kin Hell
14th November 2019, 11:01

Well, what did you use Say for then? I can't believe that there's any Amiga user that didn't at one time put cuss words in there and giggle like a schoolkid

....or try & change the pitch of the voice so it sounded feminine.... :ninja:

Harrison
14th November 2019, 11:52
It's amazing how much fun everyone gets from a voice synthesizer. We used to have hours of fun at school in the last 80's on Casio SK1 keyboards recording our voices, then playing them back at different pitches and speeds. These days it's laughing at how badly sat navs try to pronounce many road and place names, or trying to get Alexa to say something amusing.