PDA

View Full Version : First Wii game dumped

Demon Cleaner
25th December 2006, 18:28
Have a look here (http://www.ingenieria-inversa.cl/?p=9).

Harrison
25th December 2006, 19:23
Nice! :D

With every new generation it seems they are getting quicker at cracking the hardware and media. I don't expect it will take long before the Wii is completely cracked and the first games start to appear for download. :)

If they develop a soft mod or a mod chip that allows the Wii to run copied Gamecube and Wii games then it will definitely be high on my list of purchases.

Demon Cleaner
25th December 2006, 21:15
If they develop a soft mod or a mod chip that allows the Wii to run copied Gamecube and Wii games then it will definitely be high on my list of purchases.
Same here. Would indeed be great if you can play your already existing GC copies on the Wii. Oz already bought a Wii, did not get much feedback from him though, haven't seen him since 1 week.

Vangar
29th December 2006, 12:46
Demon, you can already play GC games on the Wii. Unless you mean GC backups? From what i've gathered you can use an action replay disc from the GC to play backups, homebrew too.

J T
29th December 2006, 14:26
Demon, you can already play GC games on the Wii. Unless you mean GC backups? From what i've gathered you can use an action replay disc from the GC to play backups, homebrew too.

By "copies" I don't think he meant retail copies. More, um, copied retail copies or "backups" shall we say :whistle:

I'm not surprised a game has already been dumped. I should imagine that is the easy part. Let's see them get it running on an actual console and then I will be interested in what they have to offer......

Harrison
29th December 2006, 15:21
The Wii uses normal sized DVD discs, correct?

If so this will make it a much easier process for the cracking scene to get backups working with the system. The one thing that really stopped many from using backups with the Gamecube was the small custom GC discs. Unless you did a case mod it meant it was impossible to burn backups and run them, unless you had the rare Panasonic Gamecube!

J T
29th December 2006, 15:26
Yep, regular DVD sized discs. I'm not sure if they run back to front like the GCN discs were rumoured to (some believed the discs spun the opposite way to CD/DVD, but I heard that the discs were read from the outside edge to the inside edge).

Anyway, here's hoping for some interesting developments.

Harrison
29th December 2006, 15:30
Yeah, I've heard rumours from some that the Wii discs are also meant to spin backwards or something. Not sure if that is true though, and modded GC's could run burnt DVD-R's anyway, so it can be overcome. ;)

StuKeith
29th December 2006, 19:50
The Wii is Class! I got one for xmas and wii sports is tops! :thumbs:

Be good to dl games! the software can run from the SD card no probs!

Harrison
29th December 2006, 20:48
Oh yeah, I forgot the Wii can use SD cards. That could be an easy way into the system for modding and soft modding! Also for getting external HD's working so downloaded software can be booted from that might be a possibility in the future. That is the problem when the consoles start to gain easy to exploit ports such as memory card and usb.

J T
29th December 2006, 21:27
I forgot about the SD card slot too. I haven't stuck any cards in it even out of curiosity. Although it could be very, very good for homebrew 'N' ting as SD cards are so cheap and easily accessible.

I noticed the other day shops selling special "Wii SD cards" that are, uh, white and overpriced. Excellent! I'll take one please, Mr. Shopkeeper.

Harrison
29th December 2006, 21:31
Don't you use the SD Cards with the Wii to save game data and Virtual Console downloads when the Wii's internal memory is full?

J T
29th December 2006, 21:39
Yes, that's what I've heard.

StuKeith
30th December 2006, 19:26
u can also play mp3 and photos and watch videos too

Demon Cleaner
3rd January 2007, 14:28
I'm not sure if they run back to front like the GCN discs were rumoured to (some believed the discs spun the opposite way to CD/DVD, but I heard that the discs were read from the outside edge to the inside edge).
95% sure that that BIG rumour was wrong. Otherwise with a case modding, running the normal DVDs, how could you explain the disk was read correctly?

Harrison
3rd January 2007, 14:30
That is very true.

The one system I still haven't modded or chipped is my Gamecube. But I am probably going to wait until the Wii gets modded as that will hopefully allow the running of both Gamecube and Wii backups. ;)

J T
3rd January 2007, 14:33
Wiki Sez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCube_optical_disc) that the discs are read from outside edge inwards, the opposite way to DVD and CD.

I can't be bothered to check the references though.

Demon Cleaner
3rd January 2007, 15:03
Wiki Sez that the discs are read from outside edge inwards, the opposite way to DVD and CD.
Ok, but how do you explain then, how burnt copies on 15cm DVDs can be read? That would be impossible.

Btw, I have a Qoob pro in my GC, and it works very fine. GC is very choosy with 8cm media though. I also have a 15cm case, but not modded my GC, because it's so cute that way. I use 8cm disks with Ritek G04 manufacturer id (Traxdata, Optimon and they work like a charm.

J T
3rd January 2007, 16:25
Wiki Sez that the discs are read from outside edge inwards, the opposite way to DVD and CD.
Ok, but how do you explain then, how burnt copies on 15cm DVDs can be read? That would be impossible.

But would it? How hard would it be for a mod chip or whatever to make the laser track the other way? Possibly I'm oversimplifying things here, but if people are doing it, then it obviously isn't impossible.

J T
3rd January 2007, 16:59
Hmm, having had a quick look around there seems to be a lot of rumour, misinformation and outright lies about the nature of the gamecube disc spinning thing. I remember hearing these and taking a quick look at my own GC running.

It certainly doesn't spin backwards, physically, as you can see by opening the lid while it is running. Easy one to spot.

Does the laser start reading from the outside and work inwards? This seems to be a popularly accepted opinion but I haven't seen any proof or a definitive answer. At rest the lens is at the outermost position (unlike say a CD Discman for example)* but does it start reading the disc from there? If so, I would have thought this could be easily overcome by modifying or writing burning software to take this into account.

I would look furrther to try and find an answer but I'm off home now.

*That's the way I remember it, anyway.

Harrison
3rd January 2007, 22:19
From my knowledge of previous consoles it doesn't normally matter where on the disc the data is located, so the Gamecube starting to read the data from the outer edge instead of the inner wouldn't really make all the much difference. The system will just seek the disc until it finds the boot sector.

Take the Dreamcast as a classic example. All scene releases for the DC were dumped and then hacked ISOs. They had to be like this as the DC's GD-Roms are 1GB in size and cannot read them in a standard CD or DVD drive. They were dumped out to a PC through a serial cable, but you couldn't fit the dumped ISO onto a standard CD a lot of the time due to their size. So what did they do? They recompressed the video and audio in a game with better compression routines and removed unwanted files such as copyright or other language files from the disc to squeeze the data down so it would fit onto a standard CD. This method is much like using DVD shrink to fit a DVD9 film onto a DVD6 disc. A DVD player doesn't know the difference and either did the DC.

But even more, many games didn't fill a complete GD-Rom, and the dumped ISO didn't even need a full CD. And the hackers discovered that moving the data to the outer edge of the disc allowed the DC to load the games faster. So they padded out the first sectors of the disc with dummy data in the ISO so that when it was written to CD the data ended up being pushed to the outside of the disc.

So you can see, even if the gamecube does read from the outside in, you can use ways to make the blank media written so that the data is in the correct location on the disc. Also remember that certain disc image formats store exact track and disc position information so that when the copy is written it makes an exact sector clone of the original.

J T
3rd January 2007, 22:33
I don't know what to do with my GC now I have the Wii. The Wii takes GC discs, controllers and memory cards so I really have no need for the Cube. I'm not sure I want to get rid of it completely though as it's a nice platinum colour one, but then if I'm not using it and am unlikely to again, there isn't much point keeping it :huh:

Harrison
3rd January 2007, 23:32
Do all Gamecube games work perfectly on the Wii? Any compatibility issues reported yet by anyone?