PDA

View Full Version : Where did you get your username from?

Harrison
21st April 2007, 10:04
I was just wondering where each of you originally got your usernames from? What made you first come up with the name and decide to use it?

Submeg
21st April 2007, 11:24
My last name, rearranged ;)

Stephen Coates
21st April 2007, 19:00
I shortened my first name, stephen, down to steve and randomely chose the number 30 to go on the end.

Teho
22nd April 2007, 07:47
Mine is the first two letters of my first name Terje, and the first two letters of my last name. Of course, the first two letters of my last name are Hø, but I first came up with it when registering at GameFAQs, and they wouldn't allow non-english characters in usernames back then.

I also used it for Classicamiga because when we first created the forum everybody knew me as Teho from GameFAQs, so it made sense to keep using it. And still does. But for many years now I've just used my real first name as my usernames when I register at places. I sometimes use Teho when Terje is taken by someone else, but that rarely happens.

Demon Cleaner
22nd April 2007, 15:15
Mine comes obviously from a Kyuss song. Where does yours come from then, Harrison?

J T
22nd April 2007, 16:03
Ooh, I remember this topic from back on the old boards.

I remember that Harrison's was from the surname of a grandparent or another elderly family member, and that DC used to be called cioprgr or something similar but I forget why (possibly it was similar to a username for work computers - but I could be thinking of someone totally different).

Mine has really quite stupid origins. Harking back from the messing about at school and sixth form. The 'John' part of my original name came from when we were loitering around with intent to pull off some sort of prank - if anyone walked past we would commment something that was, while plausible, completely false along the lines of "so, what time did John say he was meeting us?" in a loud and ironically unconvincing manner.

The 'Tax' part came from a stupid joke in biology A-level classes do do with the study and classification of living organisms - taxonomy (tax-on-a-me? No, tax-on-a-you).

Then it got shortened to J T.

~ Fin ~

Demon Cleaner
22nd April 2007, 18:05
You still know that my old username was exactly cioprgr like you said? Good memory :thumbs: It was/is my userid I have at work. Nothing special, but I didn't know what username to use when I registered back then at Classicamiga, so in a rush, I used my original one.

Submeg
22nd April 2007, 22:50
I also have a new name that I could use, Tjor. It stands for "the jester of random" Yesterday at work I was quite bored, and my usual random outbursts were keeping me away so I devised a name for myself and my random comments. Hehe. I have too much time when at work

v85rawdeal
23rd April 2007, 11:53
I used to run Raw Deal CCG tournaments at a shop called Vantage Infosystems, 85 Fawcett Road...

It was the name I used for the website that I set up for the tournaments, and the name stuck.

It was a lot easier than using Mince VcMahon, which was the name I used to 'wrestle' under.

Harrison
23rd April 2007, 11:54
Mine is my second middle name, which as JT remembered came from the original surname of my mother's side of the family. Ever since college I've signed my design work with the name Harrison, and have continue using it as my online and design name ever since.

I've also sometimes considered changing my surname to merge the name into it, making it Harrison-Watts, but I've never got around to actually doing it yet. I may one day though.

J T
23rd April 2007, 13:33
Mine is my second middle name, which as JT remembered came from the original surname of my mother's side of the family.

You still know that my old username was exactly cioprgr like you said? Good memory :thumbs: It was/is my userid I have at work.

It's odd that I can remember such (useless) trivia but often forget things that are more important - for example I hardly ever rember numbers properly, I always round them to nice convenient more rounded numbers.

Stephen Coates
23rd April 2007, 14:49
I have remembered about Harrison's name ever since he told me in an email about 3 or 4 years ago.

TiredOfLife
30th April 2007, 00:13
Mine came from a time when I struggling to register on amigaworld and amigaorg.
Everything I picked was already in use.
I don't think this was actually true as I just started typing in random nonsense only to be told that it was all taken.
I probably had some wierd bug within my browser at the time.
I was just thinking I was tired of this when the nick came to me.
Didn't think anyone else would be using it.
Might change it as it's a bit morbid.

Demon Cleaner
30th April 2007, 05:51
Might change it as it's a bit morbid.I like it. You should change it into "TiredOf*something else*".

TiredOfLife
1st May 2007, 02:10
Not a bad idea.
Might even just leave it as TiredOf

LowercaseE
1st May 2007, 14:21
I took mine from a joke/rib me and some of my friends used to play on one of my friends name bill. I don't know how it started but we started referring to him in emails by spelling his name in backwards caps, thus bILL. Then in real life we started referring to him by his backwards caps spelled name, by saying each letter and it's caps condition: ie. lowercase b, capital I, capital L, capital L. I did the same thing for my board usernames but only using my first intial, e.

Submeg
2nd May 2007, 13:08
WHoa hoW randoM! That is a very strange way to come about a username!

Toasty667
2nd May 2007, 13:29
I'm a big fan of Mortal Kombat so this is my rather serious name I use everywhere. If Scorpion's your character then you'll know the name makes sense. As for 667, it's the Neighbour of the beast, I put it there on forums if my main name is already taken (in this case I fluffed my first registration. I'm bored at work and the filters blocked my hotmail address. Doh!) :evil:

Submeg
3rd May 2007, 03:10
So did you want to use this username or another? Im sure Harrison could fix it for you if it is the latter

Demon Cleaner
3rd May 2007, 06:36
@Toasty667
Tell me, because I just don't get it, what has Toasty to do with Mortal Kombat's Scorpion? Do you both breakfast together?

Toasty667
3rd May 2007, 09:25
@Toasty667
Tell me, because I just don't get it, what has Toasty to do with Mortal Kombat's Scorpion? Do you both breakfast together?

Breakfast with an undead ninja? Are you crazy? Never spend time in the company of someone who's from hell, learnt that about my ex ;)

Asuming you dont know fatalitys, they are a move where you kill your opponent. Scorpion has one where he pulls off his face mask revealing his skull face, breaths fire all over his enemy then as they explode a voice shouts 'Toasty!'

As a sideline in FPS games I love explosive weapons and mock a mate with toasty when I blow him up. I'm quite a calm chap actually.:evil:

Harrison
3rd May 2007, 09:33
I never could pull off the special fatalities moves in any beat 'em up! :( Definitely not my favourite or most played genre, although I do enjoy playing them. Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves, and Last Blade 2 are a couple of my favourites.

Demon Cleaner
3rd May 2007, 09:37
I know fatalities, as I played MK:Shaolin Monks a lot. But that one didn't have Scorpion in it.

Toasty667
3rd May 2007, 14:09
I know fatalities, as I played MK:Shaolin Monks a lot. But that one didn't have Scorpion in it.

If you ever get a chance play Mortal Kombat's 2 and 4 you'll see what I mean. They've got the best fatalities of all.

J T
4th May 2007, 13:10
Mortal Kombat 64 had a nice cheat so you could do fatalities easily.

It also had the "Toastyyyyyyy" phrase sometimes for Scorpion's flame fatality.

Toasty667
4th May 2007, 13:25

You can actually open Scorpion up as he's a hidden character. You can also 'open him up' with a fatality. ;)

Demon Cleaner
4th May 2007, 15:57
Do you know the MK MUGEN project then?

The Mortal Kombat Mugen Project is a Remake of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, introducing new Moves, Gameplay features, Stages and even Characters like Hydro a "water" cyborg ninja from the game MK Special Forces. Ermac has the moves from MK Deception and looks more different to the other Ninjas as before.

It can be downloaded here. (http://www.geocities.jp/RatonMalo_AR/)

Harrison
4th May 2007, 16:13
That's quite interesting. I have many versions of Mortal Kombat, from the first on the SNES and Amiga, through to MK Gold on the Dreamcast. All very enjoyable and staying true to the original.

Which was the 3D Tekken style MK game? That was the only one I didn't like much. Prefer the side on 2D style for games that were originally designed that way.

J T
4th May 2007, 16:44
MK on the N64 was in 3D. The sidestepping didn't really work too well.

Then there were a few on the PS2. I have one, I think it is Deception but could well be Deadly Alliance. I only bought it for a fiver, played it twice, couldn't really be bothered with it.

Demon Cleaner
4th May 2007, 18:26
You can also grab the MUGEN torrent at UG.

Submeg
4th May 2007, 21:15
I have Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on the PS2, its got all the characters and is 3D...is ok, but doesnt have the "it" factor to keep me playing...story mode is weird

cicobuff
6th May 2007, 20:18
My user name comes from a track off the album "Blue Bell Knoll" by one of my fave old skool 80`s & 90`s ethereal dreampop/shoegaze pioneers "Cocteau Twins"

Still one of my favourite bands, ever.

Toasty667
7th May 2007, 19:45
Do you know the MK MUGEN project then?

The Mortal Kombat Mugen Project is a Remake of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, introducing new Moves, Gameplay features, Stages and even Characters like Hydro a "water" cyborg ninja from the game MK Special Forces. Ermac has the moves from MK Deception and looks more different to the other Ninjas as before.

It can be downloaded here. (http://www.geocities.jp/RatonMalo_AR/)

I've known about that project. It's miles better than trilogy which is a surprise! Sorry Midway lol. Seriously the 1 player mode in Trilogy is unfair, the difficultly is the same on very easy as it is on very hard except for the first couple of fights! I'm a Mortal Kombat player and even I found that rediculous. On a side note MK2 had an annoying flaw which meant cpu controlled fighters could use techniques the human couldn't. I love Mortal Kombat but each version comes with a niggly flaw.

Sharingan
11th July 2007, 07:03
Somehow, when I see Harrison's username, I always associate it with Indiana Jones :eyebrow:

My username is from the Naruto manga (Japanese comic book series). Sharingan is a special kind of eye that allows its user to perform amazing feats, such as copying opponents' fighting techniques after only seeing them performed once, predicting movements as well as hypnotizing people.

It was either Sharingan, or Cannonball Head.

Submeg
11th July 2007, 07:45
Hmm, nice choice :thumbs: :lol:

Harrison
11th July 2007, 15:40
Nice name to pick. :thumbs:

Somehow, when I see Harrison's username, I always associate it with Indiana Jones :eyebrow:

:o Star Wars surely ! :lol:

Puni/Void
11th July 2007, 21:10
P G is short for Punisher/Gods. Punisher was a handle I started using in 1994, when I first started gaining bigger interest for the Demo Scene. Have had that nick for a pretty long time now. The only thing that has changed through the years is the groups I've been a member of. Nowadays I tend to use Puni/Gods instead of the whole handle, so I might do a handle-change sometime in the future.