PDA

View Full Version : What are you playing?

Demon Cleaner
21st April 2017, 11:38
I just open a thread to see what people are currently playing, and if they like and it's worth getting or not. There has not been a thread about this yet.

As perhaps many of you know, I own basically almost every AAA game that exists for PS4, but don't always have time to play, besides now. I can name you the games I don't have, which are not many, but are the ones I wouldn't play because of it's difficulty, because I consider myself still as a casual gamer, who plays all kind of games, besides fighting games like Street Fighter style, and games that I definitely don't have the patience to play are Dark Souls series, Bloodborne or the newer Nioh. I would probably smash my controller.

I don't mention sports games here, as I play them from time to time, this would include FIFA, Madden NFL, NHL, NBA 2k, MLB The Show, Rocket League and even the Lacrosse game from Casey Powell.

Yesterday I finished Inside, which is the follow up game to Limbo, which I already enjoyed a lot, and the same counts for Inside, a really good although short platformer with puzzling, great artwork also. Definitely a recommendation.

Played Unravel, but only for a short time, nice game, but not my cup of tea, I'm not the platformer anyway, sometimes I try, but get bored quite fast. I bought the game for under 5€, so that's fine.

Finished Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force, which was ok, kept me busy for 1 week or so, nothing special, PS2/3 era graphics, but dialogue is funny, and gameplay is "oldish", so I liked it.

Currently I'm playing Hand of Fate, which a like quite a bit, card based RPG, also available on PC, but again, I got it very cheap, and it keeps me busy. A game that you can leave alone a bit, and then start it up again from time to time, nothing I would play straight for a whole afternoon.

I kinda like all the open world games, the only "problem" with them, is that they keep you busy for quite a long time, so I try to not play several of them simultaneously. I fall way behind, and have still some many of them to play, waiting patiently on my shelf, still wrapped in plastic.

At the moment I'm still playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I must say, I really enjoy it, great game, great nice looking open world and very addictive. I'm a bit over 20 hours in, and I'm still having a lot of fun.

I'm also playing Final Fantasy XV, but I put it away once, picked it up again, but now I put it away again, because I'm playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. I'm around level 55 Final Fantasy XV, chapter 12 and I have to say that I also like it, not THE game, but it's quite enjoyable. But for me I think this is also a game that you can easily put aside for some months, and then pick it up again and continue, as it's not very difficult and after 5 minutes of playing, you're again into it. So it can still wait a bit.

I probably forget about some other games now, but I will keep you updated. But right now, I'm going back to Horizon: Zero Dawn ;)

Tiago
21st April 2017, 12:25
I also played Horizon: Zero Dawn, nice game. For now, not playing anything on PS4. On PC played a bit of Cities XXL, very good simcity style.
I am starting to invert from playing to creating games. I am doing with a friend a game for Android using Unity. A lot of work but i hope in the end you enjoy it.

Harrison
22nd April 2017, 02:02
I've just got hold of the rpg Shiness. I've been really looking forward to this since last year. Should have time next week to give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Demon Cleaner
22nd April 2017, 08:59
I bought Shiness too, but also still have to try it. Might take longer though before I try it.

Teho
22nd April 2017, 18:43
I'm playing Shiness right now actually. Backed it on kickstarter for it's art style and novel combat system. It's off to a slow start though but that's apparently a common complaint and it's supposed to get much better if you just give it time. It also isn't very long. One reviewer said he used about 15 hours to get to the end, but reviewers tend to go through games faster.

I've recently played Darksiders Warmastered Edition and LEGO The Hobbit. Darksiders was a pretty average God of War clone, and the lego game was a lego game. You know what you're getting with those.

I still play Elite Dangerous off and on. It was just updated to v2.3 last week, called The Commanders. This is a mostly multiplayer update which I don't really care about, it allows several players to fly in the same ship, taking up helm and gunner roles and so on. It also introduced a character creator, supposedly one of the most detailed ones ever seen. I haven't looked at it yet.

I started Dirt Rally a few weeks ago but haven't continued with it. Not sure if I will. It certainly is a very good rally game, but it's obvious to me you need to dedicate a lot of time to it to be any good at it. Very hard. I'd still like to play it more, we will see.

I keep a log of my gaming acitvity over at Backloggery (http://backloggery.com/Teho), which you can also see in my sig by the way. I've a lot of unfinished games there, but that's because I decided to use this as a complete list of my games collection excluding rom-sets. Still, there is a disturbingly large number of games I've bought that I still have never even played. I blame Steam sales.

Demon Cleaner
23rd April 2017, 14:19
I bought Darksiders Warmastered Edition, it was quite cheap, and also got LEGO City Undercover, came finally out for PS4.

I also played The Sexy Brutale, quite good. It's a crime solving/puzzle game, with a very unique and beautiful artwork. It's also quite engaging, solved two murders, already stuck at the 3rd. It's time based, so you always have 12 hours to solve the crime, then the time resets, and you're playing the same 12 hours again, so you have to investigate stuff, which you can do next time around, very interesting. Got also good reviews.

- - - Updated - - -

I also played Horizon: Zero Dawn, nice game.
Did you finish it? Is it nice until the end?

Which level were you? I'm currently level 27 but still having problems sometimes finishing level 20 quests. Some machines are just tough to bring down, especially in herds.

Do you have a good tip for me, like which weapon mods work best or which skills are most useful, although I almost got already most skills.

Tiago
26th April 2017, 12:23
Yes i finish it. I can't remember the level but something like 40. I could be wrong.
The game is very good till the end. I found that every battle is different, i tend to fight always in a different way. Using a lot of traps can really makes things easier. Every enemy i went to the menu to see what was his weakness, and tend to fight that. I love to put wires around me, a lot of time i put a triangle of wires, before e fire at an enemy. And some enemies i put 5 wires in each side. I fired an arrow to attract them, and let them come into the wires, then always running around the wires that didn't trigger so that enemies would fall into them. In skill tree i went first for the direct confrontation (can't remember the word in English), but is the thing that gives you more power in melee combat.

Harrison
26th April 2017, 12:48

I still play Elite Dangerous off and on. It was just updated to v2.3 last week, called The Commanders. This is a mostly multiplayer update which I don't really care about, it allows several players to fly in the same ship, taking up helm and gunner roles and so on. It also introduced a character creator, supposedly one of the most detailed ones ever seen. I haven't looked at it yet.

I started Dirt Rally a few weeks ago but haven't continued with it. Not sure if I will. It certainly is a very good rally game, but it's obvious to me you need to dedicate a lot of time to it to be any good at it. Very hard. I'd still like to play it more, we will see.

I keep a log of my gaming acitvity over at Backloggery (http://backloggery.com/Teho), which you can also see in my sig by the way. I've a lot of unfinished games there, but that's because I decided to use this as a complete list of my games collection excluding rom-sets. Still, there is a disturbingly large number of games I've bought that I still have never even played. I blame Steam sales.

A couple of people I know like playing multiplay and have been playing Elite a bit so we might try out the multiplayer ship addition soon. Could be fun. I will let you know.

You also have the recent additions for engineering which I've yet to explore and also expansion of the planet surface gaming which I'm going to try some more next.

Regarding Dirt Rally. It's definitely more for the sim fan than the arcade fan. Stick with Dirt 3 for the easier arcade racing style. And Dirt 4 is announced so look out for that.

I totally agree regarding Steam sales. So many games in my account I've never even installed, let alone play. Grab them when in Steam sales from my wishlist for the future as you can get some great 85% discounts sometimes. But also collected a lot from charity bundles. Many games in those I might never play, but normally worth grabbing for the ones included which I will play.

I really need to find more time to actually play games. Since moving house 18 months ago (how time flies) it is still a massive project. We have done so much to the house and gardens already, but still so much left to do.. Open fireplace in living room and a wood burner in the dinning room both installed. Kitchen completely gutted out and replaced, some building work at the rear to join the outside toilet inside the house, electrics needed updating in all rooms (moving wall sockets from being mounted on the skirting to being chased into the walls), utilities plumed into the garage as a utility for washing machine, tumble dryer etc.. Also just refurbished one of the garden sheds and the other still to do. Still clearing the overgrown garden in the woods and finding things. So much to do. I need for hours of daylight in each day!!! and less gaming withdrawal symptoms! :lol:

Demon Cleaner
26th April 2017, 16:03
Yes i finish it. I can't remember the level but something like 40. I could be wrong.
The game is very good till the end. I found that every battle is different, i tend to fight always in a different way. Using a lot of traps can really makes things easier. Every enemy i went to the menu to see what was his weakness, and tend to fight that. I love to put wires around me, a lot of time i put a triangle of wires, before e fire at an enemy. And some enemies i put 5 wires in each side. I fired an arrow to attract them, and let them come into the wires, then always running around the wires that didn't trigger so that enemies would fall into them. In skill tree i went first for the direct confrontation (can't remember the word in English), but is the thing that gives you more power in melee combat.
I finished today.

It got a lot, meaning a LOT easier when I got the Weaver outfit, I knew that you needed the 5 power cells to be able to retrieve it, and the last one you only get with one of the last missions. So I just concentrated on the missions, got my last power cell, and got that frickin armor, wow, amazing. You're almost invulnerable. With that outfit, I finished fighting a Thunderjaw without taking ANY damage, 0!!!

The game gets quite easy after that, so I finished all side missions, errands and that stuff, then I took on the final mission with level 42 (funny). I still leave it installed, as with this open ending I will wait for DLC.

Did you do the hunter's missions? I didn't. Thought they might be too tricky, plus you don't need them.

And again, I can only highly recommend the game.

Tiago
27th April 2017, 12:14
I didn't do much of the hunter's missions. Also those collectible artifacts that you can sell to merchants, well i was never able to find anyone to sell them.

Demon Cleaner
28th April 2017, 06:41
In Meridian are merchants for every type of artifact. Didn't finish them all yet though.

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday I finished The Park, was ok, got it for cheap, was through in one hour. The setting is nice, I mean who would not be scared in a dark and eerie amusement park. The game although lacks in jump scares, perhaps one or two during the whole playthrough. The end has something scary, well done, but there's not really happening anything around. If you get it for cheap, try it. I paid 3.99€ instead of 12.99€.

I also played Neverending Nightmares, which has a nice artwork, in a way that it is different, like drawn with a pen, black/white with some red thrown in for interactive stuff, but after just 30 minutes I got quite bored. The game plays a bit with your mind, as it's about mental illness, but running through doors and corridors which are all similar, gets tedious after a while. I paid 4.99€ instead of 14.99€.

I also tried Tearaway Unfolded, as it was for free for PS Plus members. I had already my doubts, as I'm not the biggest fan of such games, but thought give it a try, as it's for free. But it's definitely not for me, already the artwork, which I admit is very nice, but I prefer a different style. Cannot tell so much about the game itself or gameplay, as after only 20 minutes I deleted it again.

Demon Cleaner
29th April 2017, 12:06
I started with Just Cause 3 yesterday, that's one of the ones waiting since long time on the shelf. I rather enjoyed the 2nd game, and basically the 3rd is the same in a nicer and bigger package. Didn't play a lot yet though. But I also got the big expansion Air, Land & Sea, which includes 3 DLC, Sky Fortress, Mech Land Assault and Bavarium Sea Heist. Happy shooting & destroying :thumbs:

Did anyone try the Prey demo? It's out since 2 days.

Harrison
30th April 2017, 23:00
Prey definitely looks good. Not seen the demo yet.

Demon Cleaner
4th May 2017, 11:30
Tried the Prey demo yesterday, and I have to say... it's definitely not for me. I'm already not the biggest fan of shooters, or 1st person in general. Looks nice and interesting, but if I play a shooter, it has to be actually a SHOOTER, or else I prefer 3rd person. F.ex. I would never play GTA V in 1st person mode, just irritating. Don't know if I'm even the biggest fan of the Sci-Fi setting? I guess first reviews are coming out tomorrow, on game day release, but I already bet that they're gonna be positive in a majority.

Harrison
5th May 2017, 08:25
It's never good when reviews are held back until the day of release. Always feels like they are hiding something. Much better when devs are open and let the press have and review a game ahead of the date.

As for FPS, I like them but only on pc. Hate trying to play them on consoles with a controller. Feels like you are fighting the controls all the time. I only do when a game isn't on pc such as Halo.

Demon Cleaner
5th May 2017, 09:46
Started with The Crew (+DLCs) yesterday, I wanted to try itt since long time, and yesterday I launched it for the first time. And I have to say, so far... I like it a lot! Whatever they said in the beginning, it has changed a lot. Version 1.21 is out already, and I read that they changed a lot since the first release. Visuals are quite nice, I mean they serve the purpose, but that seems to be one of the biggest change, and car handling to be the second.

In the beginning when I read reviews, everybody mentioned that the car handling felt unreal, bad driving behavior. They changed that too, and I must say, I can handle the cars, at least the once I drove so far (around 10 different), quite well. Doesn't feel awkward, just like any good arcade racer. Anyways, if you're searching for a simulation like experience, you're probably in the wrong place. And I'm not the best when it comes to racing games!

They also mentioned that some missions would be quite tough, due to rubber band, or just too difficult in general. So far I didn't encounter such a race, but I'm only at the beginning, 2 hours in. So far I managed everything.

The roaming around is very nice, world feels real, and it is indeed very big. That's also what I like about a racing game, be free to drive around and do whatever you see fit. That's why I already like NFS: Rivals, or especially Burnout Paradise. There's quite much to discover, and driving from one coast to another takes reaaally long.

I think it's well done, and also I still want to continue playing, that is generally not happening with me and racing games, I play usually for about an hour, then I put it away and only take it out again if I have a friend come over, but this one keeps me going. I'm playing the story, which is not anything special, but which one is, plus I don't need it to be a Christopher Nolan movie, as long as it keeps me wanting to play more. Probably I'm gonna reach the point where I get stuck, but I still have the open world, and I can gain experience to upgrade my car.

Different story, I also would like to mention Forza Horizon 3 here, which is also more arcady. There is a Hot Wheels DLC announced, which looks quite funny, with roller coasters and stuff, a bit like Trackmania, and I love that. Anyway, my point was, that I want to buy, still this year, a 4k beamer. My JVC is now 3 generations further, and the new X5500 came out in January. Absolutely love mine, so I guess I'll stick with the same brand and model. What has that to do with Forza Horizon 3 you think, well I was thinking about buying the XBox Scorpio when it comes out, as it comes with native 4k support. That will be by the end of the year, but I might buy the beamer before, that's anyway on my shopping list.

Harrison
5th May 2017, 13:25
What about the PS4 Pro for the 4K support?

Regarding The Crew. I picked that up a long time ago in a sale and have never played it! Really need to give it a go if it's improved.

Demon Cleaner
5th May 2017, 20:21
What about the PS4 Pro for the 4K support?
The PS4 does not have native support, thus you cannot play 4K BluRay discs.

Harrison
8th May 2017, 14:51
No but it does for games and streaming sych as Netflix. So with one toy can play ps4 games von 4K, all be it not quite true 4K (but that's true of most). It's only BD 4K discs it can't play which I still think was a mad omission by Sony. Especially as M$ did add one to the slim.

Demon Cleaner
8th May 2017, 16:32
My PS3 has some problems lately, every game freezes after 5-20 minutes, boots fine though. I wanted to play FIFA Street again so badly, but even during the first match, it freezes. Currently making a backup of the internal disk, and I will change it, might be a header problem. If not, PS3 is broken. Anyway, had more problems with CFW with this newer slim than with my old phat version, still sad that it died.

So I ordered the game for the XBox 360, was only 8€. Arrived today, so I launched it, started a world tour, created my team, created all 10 players from scratch, took me over 1 hour, but I was happy after. So I get to finally play the first match, set up my squad, kicked the first ball, and bang...... the game froze. I just thought wtf. Tried to reboot the console, beeps after start, and logo freezes. Ok. Finally managed to boot after 5 retries, launched game, freezes. Switched console back off for 5 minutes, retried to start, and now I eventually get the RROD!! **** me!!

Well, at some point I even thought myself that it's quite funny :lol: but it angers me nonetheless :mad: how big are the chances, really?

Btw, didn't know that Netflix streams 4k, interesting.

Harrison
8th May 2017, 16:55
In the UK it does at least. Shows as UHD next to listings.

Demon Cleaner
9th May 2017, 10:32
Checked Netflix yesterday, on every show it shows HD, no UHD listed.

Took the HDD out of the PS3 now and tested it with HD Sentinel, which gives me this alarming message:

Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Reallocated Sectors Count, Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
There are 2047 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.

Replace hard disk immediately.

It is recommended to backup immediately to prevent data loss.

I made a backup yesterday, and I have a 2TB HDD lying around here, so I'm gonna put that in now. Backup took a bit over 9 hours though, have around 150GB of PSN games installed. Wanted to install that HDD already, was too lazy, because if I remove some of my games, I won't need external HDD anymore.

EDIT: Ok, just got to know that the PS3 doesn't support 2TB disks :mad::doh::swear: I ordered now the smallest possible 320GB for 35€.

Harrison
9th May 2017, 12:35
Really? I didn't know that. Have a 500GB in mine at the moment.

Demon Cleaner
10th May 2017, 09:05
Put the old 60GB back in now to test if it was the HDD, and indeed it was. I never f.ex. could start Diablo III, it always froze already in the menus. Tried with 4 different versions, always with the same result. Now was the first time I could actually play. Also tried FIFA Street, as I really want to play it, and it's running since 1 hour now without any problem. So I guess it was indeed the HDD, good intuition ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Played and finished Virginia yesterday, it's an Ok adventure, more like a walking simulator, as it plays almost by itself. Interesting visuals, nothing too special, and the story throughout the end gets confusing and forgettable.

Harrison
10th May 2017, 11:43
That's good it was only the HDD.

Tiago
11th May 2017, 16:00
Played and finished Virginia yesterday, it's an Ok adventure, more like a walking simulator, as it plays almost by itself. Interesting visuals, nothing too special, and the story throughout the end gets confusing and forgettable.

If you like walking simulators, you must play Firewatch. It's magnificent.

Teho
11th May 2017, 17:14
I second Firewatch, it's a beautiful thing. :)

I've been playing Strafe the last couple of days. This is a 90s inspired first person shooter reminiscent of Quake in style first and foremost. It is also a rogue-like, in that the levels are randomly generated but this is the most intelligent random generation I've seen yet. Everything seems like it was designed by a person still. The game has 12 or something levels to beat and is really freaking hard, and there's of course permadeath. No saving or checkpoints. I really like the game but it may be too hard for me, I've yet to get past level 3. There's some luck involved, you find powerups for your gun along the way and you can get some really good ones. Also you can craft armour on workbenches throughout, so it is not so impossible. Just need to warm up those 90s reflexes again.

Tonight I'm going to buy Polybius on the PS4. It's a new Jeff Minter game, and if you've seen one of those you know what kind of game this is. It's been getting very favourable mentions around the web so I'm eager to try it. :)

Tiago
12th May 2017, 10:47
I watch a video about Polybius gameplay. It looks very arcade. Something like 80s arcade machine with modern graphics... and VR.
I like to try those games, mas my problem is that after 1 or 2 hours i tend to gave up. Ability games are not my style. And this one looks to fast, my skills are far away from what they were in 80s/90s... :)

Harrison
12th May 2017, 11:06
Jeff Minter games are always similar in style. Fast moving lightshows of arcade multi direction shooting action about sums most of them up. They are the kind of games you find a flow and rhythm in to succeed. His most famous game is out course Tempest, but my favourite was always Gridrunner. I've not tried this new one so will take a look. Is it PS4 only or PC too?

An interesting fact. I used to work with one of his best friends, a Norwegian airbrush illustrator called Steinar Lund, whom created the cover and poster artwork for a lot of famous 16bit games, such as Return of the Jedi and F15-II, plus Jeff's games. He sometimes still meets up with him at retro gaming conventions, and afaik Steinar still owns all the originals for the gaming artwork. Quite cool.

Demon Cleaner
12th May 2017, 11:22
I absolutely loved Firewatch, one of the best games from last year. I played through in one go, started in the evening and didn't manage to put the controller away, so sadly after 4-5 hours, the journey was already over. But definitely a recommendation.

Strafe looks horrible ;) I loathe Doom, Quake, Unreal, Duke Nuk'em, Wolfenstein and that kind of games, already when they came out, I thought they were horrible, and I cannot stand this graphical style, my opinion. So Strafe passes right by me without getting any single attention.

And Polybius looks like work, not like a game, and I also don't like that kind of visuals, I mean, we're 2017, Jeff Minter or not, how many nostalgic are still out there, besides you Teho ;) If I wanna go retro, I play old school retro games, fine for me, there's thousands of them. Just recently installed RetroArch on my PS3, and I'm having a hell lot of fun with it.

I'm always kind of surprised when it comes to Teho's taste of games, definitely special stuff, never mainstream, love that though :thumbs:

Teho
12th May 2017, 18:51
:D I do play mainstream games, I just don't talk about them much. Why? Everyone has heard of them and know what they are anyway. Also mainstream games tend to be very formulaic, Ubisoft's catalog being the worst example. But if they're polished and do what they do well then they are still enjoyable games. I've played the Far Cry games except the very last one for example, and played Black Flag and Shadows of Mordor last year. Saw and tried Watch_Dogs at a friend's. They're all pretty much the same game in a different setting. I wouldn't want to play more than one of these at a time, and wait a while before starting another.

The Uncharted games is another good example. None of them do anything remotely new, but they do it so well. Great characters and a story you genuinely want to see the rest of, that goes a long way. The gameplay bits are done well enough to not be outright boring, and for me at least I'm also entertained by good design and impressive tech. The cruise ship segment in Uncharted 3 for example, while being nonsensical plot-wise and not fitting in at all it really is very well made. The ship sits on a procedurally generated ocean, and affects every little object on the ship which move around accordingly. All while running the game and having shootouts without dropping a frame. On top of that the level is designed in such a way it feels almost dynamic when the ship itself rolls and you start walking on walls and climbing furniture to get around. It is of course scripted but it is so very well done. I'm enjoying myself just watching things like this even if the gameplay is somewhat bland.

So I enjoy Strafe because it is a really cool and well-executed idea. And I also enjoy the fast-paced gameplay of old. These modern "realistic" shooters where you have to hide in cover and wait all the time till it's safe to continue... where's the fun in that? In Strafe I run at 100 km/h and jump higher than my own height while shooting things in the face. Not realistic, but oh so fun! And yeah, the 90's aesthetic does hit me right in the nostalgia bone. So sue me! :p

It's similar with Polybius (which I think is PS4 only, yes), it isn't the gameplay so much as the design of it all. And the soundtrack and how everything fits together with it and everything else while seemingly being a complete cacophony of shapes and colour. I'm mesmerised by the sheer genious of it all. Still. I only barely played Minter's previous game which was TxK for the Vita. It was yet another iteration on Tempest, and was as good as you can expect. But after the first go at it I never came back to it. Polybius is much better for me, more of a new idea while still being iterations and improvements of things he's done before.

Other indiegames will often show off some really original and novel gameplay ideas which are fun to try and I really enjoy looking at them. But at the same time I rarely play them for long because they are created by small teams and often haven't much more to show you once the novelty wears off, most being arbitrarily lengthened just by tweaking the difficulty higher and higher while still being just more of the same.

But yeah, you'll see me playing mainstream games too. I just don't often find anything worth talking about in them. ;) I am playing Just Cause 3 these days, which just like Just Cause 2 is extremely fun in small doses. This is one I just have ready for playing every now and then when I just want to mess around a bit. While mainstream it is quite original, or was in the previous iteration. The way you navigate around using a hook and a parachute, and all the ways you can combine this with the physics of the game. Quite interesting, and well executed.

Did any of you try Shiness yet? I'd really like to know what you think. It's been getting mostly positive feedback but I personally didn't find it interesting in the end. I dropped it soon after the first of its three main parts. I just didn't find the story interesting at all and the gameplay mechanics just didn't last for me. The idea of having an RPG where the battles are fought as a 1v1 brawler is novel, but I found it to just be so-so in the end. In the battles one character fights while the others wait by the side. They can cast pre-configured buffs while waiting there, and you can tag characters in and out of the fight. There are combos and spells and status effects still and it is all pretty fast, but in the end you can win most fights by just mashing an attack button and occasionally parry. Which is too bad, I kickstarted this and know from the updates that the developers really worked hard on this. But a lot of the work went into building the world and the characters and creating an entire language from scratch for example. And when that didn't turn out so interesting, and the gameplay feels bland... well.

Edit: Almost forgot, that was some really interesting info about Steinar Lund Harrison. I didn't know much about him so looked up his work and recognise a lot of it. Some of it is quite famous, such as The Last Ninja coverart. That's pretty cool! :)

Harrison
13th May 2017, 00:42
I bought Shiness as I'd been looking forward to it for quite some time, but like s lot of things I've not found the time yet to play it. Lol

@DC. I also find a lot of FPS style games quite boring but one is in my all time favourite list. Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I just love that game. The atmosphere it creates, especially in the earlier levels is brilliant. The multiplayer was great too as it mixed things up a bit such as needing to secure nazi gold. You can't just dismiss a whole genre as there will always be something special.

For those that like multiplayer FPS the closed beta of the new Quake is out. You have to register on their site to get a key to take part. The videos look great. I especially liked the arena with a massive eye in the middle moving around watching you.

Harrison
13th May 2017, 00:45
@Teho. I got really addicted to TxK on the Vita. Probably one of my most played game on the system alongside Uncharted.

Demon Cleaner
13th May 2017, 08:33
I really enjoy the games you mentioned, Ubisoft style, but like you also say, once I finish one of them, I play something else before starting another one of them, otherwise it can become tedious as they are indeed quite similar.

I like more the "hiding in cover" style of games, as I have much more time to plan ahead, that's more my type of playing, rushing into a room guns blazing isn't my style, I get too confused and panic :lol: I liked Bulletstorm f.ex. that was sheer fun, probably gonna buy the PS4 remaster to play it once again. Anyway I'm more into stealth, like I said, wanna take things easy.

Don't get me wrong on Indie games, I absolutely like some of them, and I'm always browsing the store to look for something new. But I also have to like the genre, otherwise I'm not interested. I don't like FPS so much, and then I'd rather play an AAA FPS title, definitely not an Indie one. But you're right when you say that most of them tend to be quite innovative but tend to wear off quite fast.

It's also true what you say about Just Cause, it's fun in "little doses". I played for a bit but got rather bored soon, always the same, although fun. I'm a bit disappointed with 3, I enjoyed 2 much more, could be because it's quite the same over and over again, although it has been some time ago that I played 2. The mechanics are indeed very interesting but if not executed well, it can be frustrating at the same time.

I loved f.ex. the train sequence in Uncharted 2, that was also executed excellently, and pure fun to play. The scenery changing in the background, it could go on and on and your always had the feeling being somewhere else, wondering on how they did that.

I didn't start Shiness either, and I'm a bit concerned about these 1v1 battles, as my least favorite genre are the fighting games. So I will have to see for myself if I'm gonna like it or not.

Btw, did anyone of you play Active Soccer 2 DX yet? It's a remake of Kick Off, and it's quite enjoyable, although not very deep. Some stuff is still lacking, horrible menus f.ex. Music is done by Chris Hülsbeck. I earned already every trophy, as I quite played a bit already. Nice to pick it up for 5-6 games, in between other stuff. There's also an official remake of Kick Off by Dino Dini, but that's horrible in every single way, and it was way more expensive than Active Soccer. Not updates improved it so far.

Harrison
13th May 2017, 10:47
I remember reading about Active Soccer but forgot all about it. Will have to take a look.

Demon Cleaner
21st May 2017, 12:05
EDIT: Ok, just got to know that the PS3 doesn't support 2TB disks :mad::doh::swear: I ordered now the smallest possible 320GB for 35€.
Didn't get the HDD yet, so I cancelled my order and ordered another one, this time 1TB which was only 25€ more, plus it's 7200rpm instead of only 5400, might even speed up things a bit.

Demon Cleaner
23rd May 2017, 12:29
Finished The Sexy Brutale yesterday, was quite good, nice visuals, ok gameplay, nice idea, would rate it 7/10.

Demon Cleaner
7th June 2017, 10:44
I got my HDD for PS3, some week ago or so, and the backup I did just worked fine, so everything was still the same like before, plus I have a bit more space now, put the 1TB in.

Currently I'm testing all my PS3 games, around 300, and delete whatever I don't need or is complete trash. It has to fit on my 2TB external anyway.

Testing also PSX games, I just love to test some of the crappier games, that not a lot of people know, plus I love sports games, like soccer, ice hockey, football, basketball and such, plus the more strange non simulation racing games. So I went through my collection, plus downloaded some weirder ones, so that I basically have all of the sports games, and they're going in for a test now, I must say, some big turds among them :lol: But that makes me test another 100 games, plus at the moment I'm converting all of them to .bin or .iso files, but the PS3 reads them quite nicely.

Then I will do the same with PS2 games, having a collection of around 1500 games, plus again searching for the less known ones will take again some time, and on the other hand, the PS2 games have to be encrypted to PS2 classics so that the PS3 can read them properly, but there's a nice PS2 Manager with covers and such, which makes it then look nice.

These games, the "good" ones I will then leave on the internal disk for further play, if that will ever happen.

I also installed emulators, UAE, VICE and ScummVM, which work quite good, really surprised how well ScummVM has been ported. UAE although is a bit of a pain, and so far I managed to run 2 or 3 out of 10 games, could probably be because the version is based on UAE 0.8.29 r10, and perhaps the dumps are not the best. Because I think that was a major problem on the Amiga already at the time, when you got a bunch of game copies, a lot of them tend not to work, compared to the C64, where basically everything ran that you threw at it.

I also installed RetroArch, with every single game in my collection for NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, GBA, PC Engine and of course our favorite MAME. The sets I have are already shrunk so that no game is appearing in several versions, that took a lot of work back in the day, mainly did that for my handhelds, but still happy that I also kept these sets. RetroArch also got updated just yesterday, how funny is that, as the latest version for PS3 was 1.36 beta, and basically after that nothing happened anymore, and this one has some nice additions and runs quite stable, once configured.

Coming to the PS4, I eventually played Shiness, and I have to say... it is a huge disappointment for me!! Once I started, straight away thought ok fine, the graphics are indeed not the best, but whatever, it's good for the style of game it is. But nothing else really works in the end, at least for me. The platforming first of all is awful, you have to run over trees and jump over little platforms, but it's hit or miss, like these easy looking jumps that shouldn't be a problem to make, but you fall down because your 2m jump only went for 1.9m and it glitches make you hang in the air for a while and finally miss the jump. Talking about glitches, there's many.

The combat is also one big problem, whilst the system is interesting and not as bad as it seems, the camera f.ex. is horrible. Sometimes you don't see your opponent at all, and you need to turn the camera endlessly to find him, but during that time, he already hit you several times taking half of your HP away. And in some situations, depending on the terrain, the camera was just behind me in some very deep grass, where it was covering the whole screen in grass, but you did not see anything else. Plus the parrying system is hit or miss, you have to time it meticulously, otherwise you get hit all the time, at least I didn't manage to do it well, succeeded around 15% perhaps, or even less.

The puzzles that are there are also meh, as every character has their own, but boring and uninspiring, and instead of making it fun to solve a puzzle, it just makes it a chore and you wish it was over already, and the next time you have to solve one, you'd rather switch off the console.

So not fun at all for me, I'm so sad now that I bought this at a full price of 40€, if there would have been a demo, I would definitely not have bought it. Others might enjoy it, I guess probably the battle system gets better the further you play, but I couldn't even manage to do so, so after 2 hours I quit and deleted it from my disk, not even wanting to give it a second chance.

Let me know your experiences once you play it.

After that I play a bit 2Dark, which is an ok pixel art horror game, with a very morbid theme, could offend some people, but I also got bored quite fast due to the trial and error every 5 steps you take. Frustrating, and I don't like to get frustrated, especially in games.

So out of my frustration I then bought the WipeOut Omega Collection, and enjoyed that quite a bit. It looks gorgeous, especially on the big screen, runs absolutely fluid, and is a pure joy to play. Only problem with that one, well the same I always had, I kinda suck in WipeOut :lol: Already failing the 4th or 5th race several times, and playing a bit online didn't make it better. But it is FUN, and that counts. And how long is the game out? One day? One race I did placed me 4000th something with 4.12 minutes on the clock, when I checked the first guy, he made it in 3.02, so that's over 1 minute faster than me. How is that possible?? I can probably be 10 seconds faster if I keep trying, but over 1 whole minute, man?? At least there were also people behind me ;)

Demon Cleaner
13th June 2017, 10:37
Started with Assassin's Creed Chronicles 2 days ago, and finished already the first episode, China. I have to say that I really enjoy it a lot, despite some reviews who mention that it's too much trial and error, but I have to say, even as a casual gamer, I only had to restart several parts 5-6 times, I never got really stuck. But anyway, I love stealth games, so that's probably why this one also suits me.

I also started Knee Deep yesterday, finished the first act, and I like it quite too. Murder case solving narrative adventure mainly focused on making choices, you don't even move your character yourself, but instead it moves along a theater set by itself, so you don't even have to worry where to go next. Interesting so far.

Also tried Killing Floor 2, as it was for free this month on PSN, thought it at least a campaign, but no, you just kill waves of zombies in a frenzy way. Not for me, played 5 minutes, removed it from the disk.

Harrison
13th June 2017, 16:45
I could never get into Killing Floor much. Own both but never played them much. The multiplayer is a bit better.

Not heard of Knee Deep.

I also like stealth games as you can go at your own pace. Have you played the Styx games? You will like them. They are stealth games where you play an assassin goblin and are prequels to the strategy game world 'Of Orcs and Men'.

Tiago
14th June 2017, 10:48
I started "What Remains of Edith Finch".
Very very good. It's a walking simulator. Something like a mix of "Firewatch" and "Everybody's gone to the reptire".

Harrison
14th June 2017, 10:57
Is Rapture any good? I kept being tempted to buy it but never have. Very mixed reviews. Is it Myst like as suggested?

Tiago
14th June 2017, 13:06
Myst? No. Rapture is a pure walking simulator. Something like Dear Esther. You don't have puzzles. Just walking, and get into the story.
I did like it a lot, good graphics, good story. But pure walking.

Harrison
15th June 2017, 09:02
I thought I read the story was a mystery you had to discover by following clues?

I do own Dear Esther but not played it yet.

Demon Cleaner
15th June 2017, 09:11
Have you played the Styx games? You will like them. They are stealth games where you play an assassin goblin and are prequels to the strategy game world 'Of Orcs and Men'.
I played the first, but not for too long, controls are a bit clunky, so it's quite difficult to stay unseen, and you have to restart some passages over and over again, which obviously frustrated me quite a bit. And out of stealth, engaging in combat, is impossible to manage.

Harrison
16th June 2017, 08:22
What were you playing it on? I found it fine on pc with an xbox 360 controller.

Demon Cleaner
16th June 2017, 09:44
PS4, as it was for free at some point in PSN.

Tiago
16th June 2017, 10:08
I thought I read the story was a mystery you had to discover by following clues?
Following clues, yes, but not solving puzzles.
Just finished "What Remains of Edith Finch", for me, best game of the year so far. It's not a big game, 4 or 5 hours and it's done. Brilliant game.

Demon Cleaner
16th June 2017, 11:53
Have perhaps to try it, although I'm not the biggest fan of walking simulators.

Demon Cleaner
11th July 2017, 10:12
Played How to Survive: Storm Edition, perhaps good for 1-2 hours, like I played, but not too much to be found here. Running back and forth all the time, fun for a moment, but gets tedious quite fast.

Started Batman (Telltale Series), and like all the others from the series, I like it, finished Episode 3 already.

Probably gonna start with the first Mordor game today, I installed it yesterday.

I bought Elite: Dangerous, but I need to have good time to start, as apparently, and you here already mentioned it, it has quite a steep learning curve, hopefully I won't lose interest too fast, as I'm not the most patient player.

Demon Cleaner
13th July 2017, 10:41
So I started with Shadow of Mordor, and have played several hours so far.

I have a bit of mixed feelings at the moment. Let me explain.

The graphics are decent, like the way it looks, although the regions look quite similar, and on top of that, the open world here, is very small compared to other games, which makes you travel to the same spots over and over again, which is not always a bad thing, as you'll know the locations by heart soon, but like I mentioned, there's not a lot of variety.

Orcs are everywhere, always, respawning all the time, when traveling from A to B, it can be tedious, as you have to cross their paths all the time, fast travel is possible, doesn't make a lot of sense though in this small world. So you're gonna find yourself in battles more often than you would like to.

The game is also quite hard, for me, as fighting the captains is sometimes messy, as there's all the time a huge amount of orcs around them, so delivering a finishing move becomes a real big task, and if you don't behead them in a special move, they'll come back at a certain point in the game, you'll cross their paths, they have become stronger, have a grudge against you, and might even got promoted.

Talking about promotions, when you die, several of the orcs in the nemesis system get promoted, which makes them even stronger and more difficult to defeat. The system is great, the idea is great, but it makes ME suffer the consequences of dying, which is natural in a video game.

Strongholds are also very strong, I mean, I try to sneak, btw stealth is quite well done here, but once you're discovered, which at some point WILL happen, some orc is running straight away for the alarm. He is well marked with an icon, but getting him can be challenging, as you're currently fighting 12 other orcs. Plus if you get to him, straight away another one goes for the alarm. And I can tell you, once the alarm is sounded, there's 20-30 more orcs coming in, and I'm not exaggerating here, it are that many.

And healing is a bit of a problem too, as you don't carry healing potions or herbs or whatever to regain health, instead you have to run away and find some herbs on the ground, cut them, eat them and return into the fray. Anyway, I find myself running away from hordes of orcs all the time, as at some point, they're overwhelming you, that you don't have any other option than running away.

There's also not a big variety of enemies, it's orcs all over. At least there's some funny ways of killing them, dropping bee nests on them, set them on fire near a campfire, poisoning their grog, exploding them or exposing them to Caragors, some flesh eating beasts. Brutalizing them is also funny, when you see everybody around fleeing the scene.

The camera is not always helpful, fights can get out of control with so many enemies, and having a bad camera positioning doesn't help it either.

Missions are also quite repetitive, which is a bit normal in an open world, but in a small one like this, they should have added diversity. There's also not a lot of happening around, a bit like in my little hometown, I mean, this is Mordor, is there not supposed to be something else happening than orcs having grog parties or slashing humans on every corner.

I also wished there was some loot, different weapons, but there's absolutely none, only upgrades for your abilities, and unlocking more slots for runes in your weapons, which are a sword, a dagger and a bow.

Other than that, the game is good :lol: Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, I would rate it a 6/10, which is still quite enjoyable, and I will continue playing it, but I think they missed the opportunity of making this an 8 or a 9, so hopefully the sequel (or prequel) will learn from these missteps, but what I have seen so far, it looks promising.

Harrison
14th July 2017, 06:42
Yes it is a pretty hard and sometimes unforgiving game. But having been thrown into thy middle of an orc arm amassing ready for a full out attack on Middle Earth I think it did quite well.

I agree with your points regarding fighting captains or trying to stop someone raising the alarm. It adds to the tension though and does give a sense of actually being in the middle of an orc army.

I also quite like the fact if you don't kill them they remember and hold a grudge.

Definitely not easy but quite a nice game.

And yes I really hope the sequel has some more variety. They couldn't really mix up the enemies in the first due to the setting, but there are obviously many other creatures in the army such as giants and trolls they could utilise more.

Demon Cleaner
14th July 2017, 10:46
Played a bit further, and I came to a whole new second region, as big as the first, so it is actually a bit bigger than I thought, and this one gives a bit of variety. Got also the BRAND ability now, and that's a lot of fun, getting orcs to fight on your side, and being able to brand captains and send them against other captains or even warchiefs. I own a stronghold now, and that army is mine, nice :thumbs:

Tiago
18th July 2017, 14:04
I am playing Divinity: Original Sin 2.
I love Larian Studios. The original Divine divinity is still one of my all time favorites.

Harrison
18th July 2017, 16:49
I've not had time to play the second one yet. Is it as good? I love the whole Divinity series.

Tiago
19th July 2017, 17:19
The original Sin 2 is similar to the first one. But very different from the Divine Divinity and the other 2 FPS.
Original Sin 1 e 2 are turn based.

Demon Cleaner
20th July 2017, 09:35
Are you playing on PC or PS4 (Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition)?

Tiago
20th July 2017, 12:12
Original Sin 1 and 2 both on PC.

Demon Cleaner
24th July 2017, 07:24
Played Late Shift with the girlfriend, and we both liked it a lot, unfortunately we got a quite bad, sad ending. There's 7 different ones. Late Shift is an interactive movie where you take the decisions and decide in which direction the movie goes, and I have to say it's very well done. Gonna have to play it again with different decisions. Late Shift on IMdB here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4796254/?ref_=nv_sr_2).

Played also a lot Fifa Street on the PS3, created myself and 8 of my best buddies in the game, so it's quite fun to see the evolution of your mates. This is the best entry of this kind of soccer yet, I simply love playing 4v4, 5v5, 6v6 and of course Futsal.

Harrison
24th July 2017, 13:00
I've not heard of Late Shift. Will have to check it out.

Demon Cleaner
26th July 2017, 13:38
I stopped now with Mordor, played 19 out of the 20 main missions, the last one is still locked, as you need to build your own army. And there's exactly where I have my problems at the moment. I brand captains to fight against other captains and become warchief, which I also managed once, but then when there was the fight of "my" warchief against another one, mine lost the battle, thus you have to start over again. I had several captains branded, but some then lost again against others, which always left me without having anything left. The procedure is quite time consuming, plus it's not an easy task to do, as battles against warchiefs bring also 2 captains plus many followers, and it's quite tough to get rid of them. Warchief alone is fine, but not in superior numbers. So I just thought to leave it like this, had a good time with it, and I will now do something else.

Demon Cleaner
27th July 2017, 14:05
Started with Infamous: Second Son, also always wanted to play it, as I enjoyed the first quite a bit, although it got boring quite fast (the 1st). I remember to liberate one of the 3 islands from all the baddies, went to the second island, and everything started with the same things over again, so I stopped. Only tested the 2nd one if it was working, but never really played it.

So far it's good, but I get already the feeling that I played it for longer than I have, very similar to the 1st, only with different powers. Reminds me also a lot of Prototype, as you have to clean the different sectors of the city from "police" like guys, and wipe out their HQs, which is VERY similar to Prototype. Plus Prototype for me had better powers, Infamous' are not so impressive, well at least at the moment, don't have them all yet, only played for about 3 hours so far.

Harrison
29th July 2017, 00:58
I got bored of both Prototype and Infamous quite quickly and never finished them. After the initial fun as you say it all got very similar and boring. It's the danger of an open world.

Demon Cleaner
30th July 2017, 13:11
Didn't finish any of them either. Played a bit more now, and it's still enjoyable, got different powers, played a bit more of the story, that's less boring, just wonder how long it will stay interesting before it gets tedious and I'll stop playing.

Demon Cleaner
1st August 2017, 14:18
Finished Batman Telltale Series yesterday, liked it a lot, same like Borderlands or The Walking Dead series, good easy peasy games, relaxing to play, with a somehow nice story.

Started to play Abzu, nice one, not so much a game, but it's sheer beauty is breathtaking, and I quite enjoy the journey (no pun intended).

Harrison
2nd August 2017, 09:28
I just grabbed the Telltale Batman game as part of the Telltales Humble Bundle. Looking forward to playing it.

Demon Cleaner
23rd August 2017, 09:24
Finished Infamous: Second Son, and I must say, in the end, I quite enjoyed it, better than the previous installments. It's not that long as an open world game, but that's fair enough, I wouldn't spend more time in it, as it might then become tedious, which it was not, which is a good point.

Started playing Rebel Galaxy, had a bit problems the first 30 minutes, figuring out the controls for shooting, didn't quite get the system, but once I got it, it was easy. Also in the beginning your ship is very weak, so I died whilst finding out how I would shoot my enemies properly, as my shield was not the best. But you get enough money in the beginning to upgrade your ship during side quests, so you can upgrade your ship, which already helps a lot.

Played also NBA 2K16 for a bit, finished the story and continued playing with my character. Nothing to tell here, good basketball game, that's it.

Also finished Abzu some time ago, was good, a bit short, but a nice experience. Good to play in the evening before hitting the sack.

Demon Cleaner
24th August 2017, 10:32
So far I kinda like Rebel Galaxy, it's true that the side missions are very repetitive, but you need to do them in order to get some money, but they're also not quite long to finish. Other strange thing is that the combat is 2D, not real 3D, meaning you can move left and right, but not up and down, which doesn't give you any real feeling of being in a dogfight chasing around enemies.

Demon Cleaner
22nd September 2017, 14:37
Finished Pyre after only 2 days, and it's ok, gets a bit tedious after a while. You basically "play" about 30 games, then you finish the story, which after 1 hour I couldn't care less. There's a lot of reading to do, about 70% of the game consists in reading text dialogue, about some story which gets uninteresting with time, probably only because you have to read so much, and at some point, you just don't want anymore reading, but you wanna play. The artwork is very beautiful, and the music also fits perfectly. I played the game on easy, and won 28 of my 30 games. The games itself are quite fun, but also getting a bit repetitive, as later you have to play against the same opponents to free your exiles. I wanted to stop at some point, but then I noticed that I'm only 6-7 games away from the finale, so I kept going. I would rate in a 6.5/10.

Tested NBA Live 18 from EA and NBA2K18, both have demos on the PSN, as I still have NBA2K16 and I change only after 2 years or more, don't buy the releases every year. NBA2K18 got a lot better reviews, but some mentioned that EA's title has a better story mode, which I play anyway more, and I must say that my choice is indeed NBA Live 18, you can play the whole beginning of the story in the demo, plus keep your created character. The gameplay is also good, perhaps not as strong as in NBA2K18, but still very enjoyable.

Gonna get Madden 18 too, as I still have 16, plus 18 has now also an integrated story mode, gonna skip NHL 18, I have 16, but apparently it hasn't changed that much, and is quite disappointing, and I'm gonna get FIFA 18, I have 17, but the story mode from 17 continues in 18, and I enjoyed that a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Started with Far Cry 4 now, as 5 is coming out soon :)

Harrison
25th September 2017, 00:19
Far Cry 4 was pretty good. My favourite is still the first though. Have you also played Farcry Primal?

Regarding sports titles and not changing much. This is also a huge issue in car racing games. The Codemaster F1 games hardly changed at all for years. Thry have brief success with the 2013 release but then went dien hill, even cutting a carrier mode or off the game. But the 2016 release was a return to form. Mainly due to much complaining by fans they finally stepped up and started actually working on them again with some actual passion for the sport, rather than just a cash in. The new one for this season is meant to be good too.

Tempted to get the new Project Cars 2. But such games are really only for the true car enthusiast and racing fan as they are now simulation them arcade racer.

Demon Cleaner
25th September 2017, 08:35
This is my first Far Cry game so far, haven't played any other of them, perhaps for 30 minutes or such. So far I'm enjoying it, although I still would prefer the 3rd person view, then it would even be better, for me at least.

When it comes to racing games, I never play simulations, as it's to tough for me, and I will already stop winning after the 3rd race or so. And even though I'm trying that race then over and over again, I won't win, and then I get frustrated, and I guess you can imagine the result. I'm still absolutely enjoying The Crew, that's really my type of racing game, that's why I'm looking forward to the new Need for Speed, and of course The Crew 2 coming beginning next year with added planes and boats, gameplay looks pure fun.

Harrison
25th September 2017, 22:32
Although it's a bit dated graphically now you really should try the first Farcry as IMO it was thy best. Set on a series of tropical islands you sneak around stealth style, sniping guards from watch towers. Getting into boats to move quickly around the island. And you slowly uncover something more sinister. Great game.

v85rawdeal
28th September 2017, 20:27
Currently splitting my time between No Man's Sky and Elite: Dangerous.

I also get a bit of time playing Everybody's Golf, but the above games are the ones that dominate my gaming at the moment

Harrison
29th September 2017, 07:00
I keep meaning to play No Man's Sky again since the recent big updates.

Have you had any of the Alien encounters in Elite yet?

Demon Cleaner
29th September 2017, 11:55
Also downloaded Everybody's Golf but didn't try it yet, also have Infinite Minigolf which is quite enjoyable, plus getting "infinite" levels due to a track editor. And you can play it in VR, which I didn't try out yet though.

v85rawdeal
30th September 2017, 12:30
With regards to the thargoids, I'm safe in the middle of nowhere, far away from any kind of civilisation, or military protection, or aid, support or help
of
any
kind...

Aaaaah, f...........

Demon Cleaner
30th September 2017, 20:48
:lol: downloaded it for PS4, but didn't play it yet, still playing Rebel Galaxy.

Demon Cleaner
6th October 2017, 09:55
Enjoying Far Cry 4 quite a bit, although I still have to get more used to the 1st person view, it's not one of my strengths when it comes to gameplay :D

Started with FIFA 18, good game, a lot slower than previous releases, have to get used to it. Nothing groundbreaking here, but we all know that, nonetheless still an enjoyable experience. Started as manager for Forest Green Rovers in the 4th English division (Football League Two), that can be fun and challenging to get your team to higher divisions. With a very low budget, I'm currently still in the middle of transfers, as most of my players are quite weak, so I have to spend a lot of time scouting and comparing to find the right players for my team. Invested already a lot of time in that. Only thing is that I created myself, a bit stronger, 72 overall, and put myself into the team to help them out. Players rank from 50-65 overall, so I'm their best player at the moment :lol:

Harrison
6th October 2017, 12:16
I've not played any football games in a long time. More interested in the old school arcade style though. Very interested in the upcoming Sociable Soccer (made by John Hare - Creator or sensible soccer).

Demon Cleaner
7th October 2017, 10:07
I still love older football games, or arcade soccer games, tested them all on MAME, some really good ones, also tested everything sports some time ago on PSX, PS2 and PS3, I think I mentioned that in another thread. Also going through every single football (soccer) game I can find in my collections, whether console or computer, love to do that.

Sociable Soccer looks good, hopefully the gameplay can hold up. I played Active Soccer 2 DX a lot, got every trophy, enjoyed it quite a bit, Kick Off clone, although 100 times better than the remake of Kick Off, that is horrendous, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

I watched the Sociable Soccer trailer once again, and must say that the content is definitely present, but I’m not so convinced with the gameplay yet, have to see how it turns out.

Btw, funny thing, met a guy some time ago in Rocket League who had a funny nickname, Pony Slaystation :lol: thought that was quite funny, forgot to share.

Demon Cleaner
24th October 2017, 10:45
I finished Far Cry 4 yesterday, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Did almost everything, every main mission, side mission, seizing camps, conquering fortresses, unlocking the bell towers, plus gathering stuff and discovering locations around, on a quite big map I have to say, was kinda surprised of the dimensions. Although it being an FPS, I enjoyed it more than I initially thought, once I got going, I wanted to discover more and more, and the gameplay was entirely enjoyable. Plus I always chose the stealthy path, which is more my cup of tea, and with an awesome Z93 sniper rifle, this was absolutely a lot of fun. Hunting animals was a lot of fun, although gruesome at some point, but hey, if you wanna survive (or craft a nice bag ;)), you have to go for it. The story was not it's strongest point, I liked the baddy Pagan Min, but the other 2 protagonists were quite pain in the ass, wanted to kill both at the end of the game, eventually ended up killing none of them, you will have the choice to kill only one though. I didn't like the decisions you had to make for them, as it did not really change anything, the choices were quite limited anyway. All in all, a solid 8/10 for me.

Yesterday I started with Mafia III, didn't know what to start, so I picked again a bit older one. And I must say, after 3-4 hours of playing, I enjoy it a lot. Can't remember all the bad comments the game got, but I have to say, again, it suits my way of playing very well. Sneaking is key in this game, although there's always the option of the guns blazing approach, which you have to do when you get discovered anyway. But both are fun and very well implemented. Whilst the sneaking and cover system is well executed, taking cover is easy and performing takedowns, lethal or non-lethal is easy to perform, the guns blazing version works very good too, although I must say I'm playing on easy, and put the aim assist on high, so you barely miss people you wanna shoot, nonetheless, it's pure fun. I can remember people ranting about driving around all the time, because there's no fast travel, and that could get a bit tedious, I did not encounter that so far, as I did not have to drive more than one minute to my next destination, plus on the way, you might come across other stuff like collectibles or gang hideouts so that you can stop shortly before continuing to your initial destination. The story is very good so far, I always like the hierarchy of the mob bosses, which you have to take down one by one, beginning from the bottom, and you will start yourself to control districts which you assign to your "captured" mini bosses who work for you then, so when seizing districts, money will flow into your pockets and you slowly diminish the main boss' power and influence.

Tiago
24th October 2017, 16:00
I got a PS4 PRO this weekend :D
The PS4 is that one with the new GT Sport game.
I also bought Elite Dangerous with commander pack bla bla bla for PS4. 29,99 euros, nice price.

The new GT looks good.
Elite looks the same as PC, but my laptop is old, i cant get good graphics.

Harrison
24th October 2017, 20:00
Nice. Did you own a normal PS4 before? Or this is your first?

What made you get it over the new Xbox One X? Personally I think you made the right choice! ;-)

Sharingan
26th October 2017, 18:54
Wow! Been a while since I last visited CA! "You last visited: 29th June 2014 at 21:39" it says here :O

Everyone doing alright?

Have been quite busy lately, so I haven't found much time to play games at all. Plus, I think I've finally reached that stage in life where most games don't elicit that same sense of excitement in my anymore. Who woulda thunk' it?

Still, when I do find some time to game nowadays, it's on the PS4 (Pro). Mostly trying out indie games (which are surprisingly good, with very decent production values), or most recently, driving a few laps in Gran Turismo Sport.

Harrison
28th October 2017, 08:10
Wow! Been a while since I last visited CA! "You last visited: 29th June 2014 at 21:39" it says here :O

Everyone doing alright?

Have been quite busy lately, so I haven't found much time to play games at all. Plus, I think I've finally reached that stage in life where most games don't elicit that same sense of excitement in my anymore. Who woulda thunk' it?

Still, when I do find some time to game nowadays, it's on the PS4 (Pro). Mostly trying out indie games (which are surprisingly good, with very decent production values), or most recently, driving a few laps in Gran Turismo Sport.Great to see you. I wondered where you were. I know that you mean about playing less games, although I do want to play more but don't have the time these days.

Demon Cleaner
16th November 2017, 07:09
Finished Mafia 3, in the end I quite liked it, but it's true that it gets tedious with the time, as basically you're doing the same stuff over and over again. But as I like playing stealth, every mission has a different kind of approach, although the goal is the same, the location is different, most of the time. Going in guns blazing is also fun, only caveat is that your character does not take a lot of bullets, definitely no sponge here, and as the AI is kinda stupid, when the notice you, all of them come running towards you together, which makes it easy when you're in a good cover, but once a bit in the open, you're doomed. Cover system is good though in my opinion. I also played the 3 DLCs, which were better, especially one which transports you to a jungle island, and it reminded me more like playing an FPS style game, infiltrating an underground base to retrieve a nuclear warhead from a submarine.

Started with Mantis Burn Racing, a top down racer, which is quite enjoyable, played it already a bit on the PC, but it's nicer on a big screen, also playable in HDR.

Yesterday I started with Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, a JRPG in the Digimon world, obviously. So far I like it, 3 hours in, graphics are PS2 like though, but that doesn't make it less enjoyable. First I thought it might be too childish, but the story is fine, you between the normal and cyber world, becoming a detective to investigate some kind of conspiracy. Turn based combat, which is welcome for a change. You can collect 250 Digimons, which you can also evolve in 3 stages, to make them bigger and stronger. Where the 1st stage of them looks like cute little "monsters", already stage 2 makes them look fiercer, which I appreciate, don't misunderstand, still no Bloodborne here ;) You can also train them, deinvolve, fuse, move, take apart, etc... Long time I didn't play a JRPG, so hopefully this one can keep up with the pace.

Harrison
16th November 2017, 12:49
Only thing I'm playing at the moment are the recently release SEGA classics games on my phone. Most are Megadrive ports but some are arcade or Dreamcast (Crazy Taxi) based.

Well done and work well on Android but you can't beat real controls as I'm having too many control issues using touchscreen. At least the games are all free.

Worst game to control using the screen was when i tried that free Google Pacman that is included in phones now and available in browsers. You swipe the screen anywhere to change his direction. Really hard to turn corners and you get stuck easily. You really need a stick for the proper "turn before the corner" technique.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Demon Cleaner
16th November 2017, 20:56
That’s why playing Android games on the Shield is quite nice, you can play them with a controller which is a LOT more convenient. Asphalt 8 f.ex. plays quite nice like that way. The controller is also really good, can’t complain.

Btw, one of my PS4 controllers is quite broke, X button refusing to work sometimes, plus the left directional thumb stick tends to go left. It’s my first controller, so I bought a new one, and I ordered the Gran Turismo Sport version, looks quite nice, at least a bit different than a normal one.

I also still have my SCUF Impact one, but I don’t use it so much, not that’s not good, but I always completely forget to take it.

Harrison
18th November 2017, 18:11
I used to have a Sony Xperia Play and that was great for Android gaming with the built in controller.

I still have it but it's stuck on Android 2.3 so not much use these days. Also limited by that OS to only installing games on the limited 16gb internal storage so you couldn't fit many on.

Demon Cleaner
21st November 2017, 09:58
Started Forza Horizon 3 yesterday and I must say it looks absolutely gorgeous in HDR!! Wow, but also not to forget about the game itself, it’s just great to play, awesome racing game.

I also got the 2 DLCs, Blizzard Mountain which looks even better with snow and ice shining in the early morning sun, and the Hot Wheels one, which is pure fun, rarely that I played something fun like this since a long time.

Demon Cleaner
20th December 2017, 15:39
Stopped with Digimon Story some days ago, was already in chapter 15 of 20, but it became insanely difficult, due to one feature I didn't pay attention, also because I wasn't explained. Every Digimon has an ABI (ability) value, which is very low in the beginning, 4, 8, 12 at most. I had already several of my Digimon in the 2nd last stage, like level 75 to 90, but to evolve into the ultimate Digimon, level 99, you need this ABI value to be at least 20. I completely missed that. So the only possibility to do so is devolving your Digimon again, the he gains a lot in ABI, then evolve him back. Problem is that once devolved, your Digimon falls back to level 1, and you have to level up again until between level 50-60 to evolve him again, takes time, and there's no really nice grind places in the game. As this would have taken me too much time now, would have been QUITE tedious, I decided to stop with the game, would I have been told earlier, there wouldn't have been a problem. Because like this I lost my last fight, one enemy killed 9 of my party Digimon, and I didn't inflict him 1 single damage point, as he also healed all the time, quite frustrating.

I continued now playing Just Cause 3, and enjoying it now more than before.

Demon Cleaner
25th January 2018, 06:36
Just Cause 3 is sometimes a mixed bag, lately I enjoyed it quite a bit, but last time I had to stop playing after 1 hour, as it got on my nerves, mainly some stupid difficult mission caused that, plus the normal roaming also got on my nerves, which didn't happen before.

So I laid it to rest and started with Darksiders, I never played it before on the PS3. I thought it was not too bad, graphics obviously a bit dated although it's a remaster, but the gameplay was fun enough to continue. But then, the next day, I faced the first bigger boss, called Tiamat, and oh boy, I can't manage to hit it even once!! It introduces you to the boomerang, which you have to use continuously to fight this boss, but the controls of it are rather clunky. Then I checked online what the toughest boss in Darksiders is, and 90% point to this one. So I had to stop already, only after a few hours of playing.

Now I started with Metro Redux, playing Metro 2033 first, long time I didn't play an FPS, and this one I like so far. Difficulty is still manageable at the moment ;)

Harrison
25th January 2018, 08:48
The Metro games are great and the remaster versions well worth playing.

I've not played Darksiders in a long time. I didn't play it for many hours so maybe i reached the same point. I hate it when a game is ruined by a difficulty spike.

Demon Cleaner
26th January 2018, 16:21
Especially in the beginning of the game, apparently the other bosses are a joke compared to the first.

Finished Metro 2033 already, was quite enjoyable and not too difficult throughout the whole game. After that I’m gonna start Metro: Last Light.

Harrison
28th January 2018, 23:01
A couple of weeks ago my 5 year old son discovered playing cards and was interested in patience (Klondike). He then asked if he could get it on the old tablet we let him use. I searched and noticed Microsoft solitaire was available. Everyone used to play the built in windows version and i thought it would be great to have it again. Installed it on my new S8 phone and discovered it's the same free version as Windows 10, and both are tied into your xbox account. Quite cool. Has the same 5 solitaire games, settings, challenges etc and runs really well on android.

So i can blame my son for now being addicted to Microsoft Solitaire again! The addictive part is daily challenges where you earn coins to build up to trophies. Each month you get 5 challenges per day (1 for each game) and completing all 5 adds more bonus coins. You can keep going back to other days in that month to try and finish them all. This month I'm up to gold and getting closer to platinum but only 3 days left!

Demon Cleaner
29th January 2018, 09:13
OMG! :o

Tiago
29th January 2018, 16:26
Hi,
i am playing Rimworld in my peecee. The game is quite good. A lot of stuff to control, and you have to use your brain in how are you going to deal with so many things you have to do. I should have now, some 40 hours of it, and i am loving it.

Demon Cleaner
1st February 2018, 11:52
Started with Metro: Last Light now, exact continuation of the first game, good.

Bought Forza Motorsport 7 ultimate edition and whilst waiting for the download to finish (100GB), I saw that Split/Second would be for free next month (XBox 360 game), but as I own the original, I just installed it on the One X, and started playing again (almost finished it back in the day). And I must say, loved it then, and still love it now, one of my absolute favorite arcade racing games, forget about Motorstorm: Apocalypse!!

Demon Cleaner
8th February 2018, 07:22
Finished with Metro: Last Light, was also good, samish than the prequel (story continuation, gameplay is utterly identical), although it was a bit tougher near the end, but nothing impossible to overcome, did not restart more than 7-8 times for one specific section.

Now I wanted to start an open world game again, thought about Assassin's Creed Syndicate, as I also have Origins, but didn't play Syndicate yet, and as always I want first to play the previous game, although the Assassin's Creed series are not really connected to each other. But then I noticed that I also still have Unity! I know that a lot of people say that Unity is one of the worst Assassin's Creed titles in the whole series, but also read that after it has been patched several times, it has drastically changed to a whole lot better game, still far from perfect, but a lot better than the day 1 release. Any opinions?

On the other hand, looong time I didn't play (continue) with The Witcher 3, but purchased both DLCs some time ago, I might wanna revisit Geralt and his buddies.

Harrison
8th February 2018, 14:02
Out if all those Witcher 3 has to be the best. Definitely at the top of any RPG list.

Next month sees the PC release of Final Fantasy XV.

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2018, 03:33
Started with Assassin's Creed Unity, only played for 2 hours so far, not bad, will have to see how it continues.

Started Forza Motorsport 7 this morning, only got my free cars and checked everything else out, didn't race once yet.

Played FIFA Street for 2 days now, almost finished with my World Tour, I really enjoy this game, this I would like to see re-released on new generation consoles with some stuff added, would be amazing.

Harrison
9th February 2018, 08:19
That's something quite funny with games like racing and more so for RPGs. You load the game and realise hours later you are still fiddling around with character creation or deciding which car and setup you want. Not a bad thing but with some games it can make it over complicated to decide the best way to begin. I tend to spend way too much time over analysing every option, worrying about how it will effect the game.

In some ways I prefer to be thrown into a game with an initial default car or character and you get to adjust and make changes later once you have the game's basics sussed.

Best for being thrown in at the deep end was Star Wars Force Unleashed where you start off as Darth Vader decimating the Wookie homeworld, with every in-game skill unlocked. Then the game jumps forward in time to your actual character and have to start with basic skills. It gives you a thirst for everything you can do so you want to build your character up to obtain everything. Quite like that approach.

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2018, 12:45
I actually don’t like the being thrown in approach, it’s often too overwhelming, plus I like taking my time to fiddle around and mess with all the possibilities I get. Have to mention that I didn’t have much time this morning, that’s why I didn’t want to only make one race to stop right after straight away, I wanted to check something, bought the ultimate package, so I was curious which cars I got for free. Thus I was just browsing every single menu to be ready straight away the next time I actually start playing.

Demon Cleaner
16th February 2018, 11:34
So far I like Unity a lot, I would even say that I like it better than Black Flag. Whereas Black Flag had islands with little housing, although some cities with less dense housing, Unity features a HUGE city of Paris, which is absolutely gorgeous and so detailed, if I'm correct they built it together 1:1, so that the distances in the game match the ones in real life.

I liked the sailing part in Black Flag in the beginning, later on, it was more like a chore, and battles on the open sea got tiring, sailing was quite a big part of the game, for me, too big. In Paris though, you get the real feeling again of free running, which is pure fun. The city is really nicely done, my girlfriend was even amazed of how accurate they rebuilt everything, and how much time this must have consumed. Plus Unity has really this RPG side with skill, boost, weapon, gear upgrades.

The only thing that bothers me a bit are the looooong loading times, when you fast travel, or die and restart, it takes 30-40 seconds to load, which is way too long.

J T
18th February 2018, 20:47
I'm...... I'm..... I'm playing a game - Thimbleweed Park.

It's an old-school style point from Ron Gilbert, and it works very well on my (work's) iPad - available on other devices also.

I'm hooked, having blasted 9 hours since I downloaded it on Thursday evening. It's funny, interesting story and characters. As a point-and-click it has those same strengths and those same familiar weaknesses. One very nice new feature is that you can make it highlight the interactive-points on screen, so no more sweeping across the screen for a single pixel item to pick up. Being able to switch between multiple characters has also lead to some cool puzzle solving moments.

Very much enjoying it so far, although I found that I was breezing through all the simple puzzles first, and then after about 8 ish hours found myself wandering around fumbling through some of the header/more contrived puzzles.

Well worth 15 bucks, that's the price of a cinema ticket and I've got way more out of it.

Teho
18th February 2018, 22:16
I can definitely also recommend Thimbleweed Park. It's a great callback to the point'n'clicks of old. Full of references that guys our age will appreciate, and of course the odd mischievous stab at Sierra.

I backed this on kickstarter so I'm in the phonebook and can even be called if you dial 4152. ;)

J T
19th February 2018, 00:47
I can definitely also recommend Thimbleweed Park. It's a great callback to the point'n'clicks of old. Full of references that guys our age will appreciate, and of course the odd mischievous stab at Sierra.

I backed this on kickstarter so I'm in the phonebook and can even be called if you dial 4152. ;)

The additional content, like the phone and the text books, are a nice touch indeed. I shall call that number

Demon Cleaner
21st February 2018, 07:06
Tried different stuff.

Obliteracers, a little cart racing game à la Mario, did get average reviews, Metacritic 70%, and I played it for like one hour, then I got bored quite quickly and stopped, as races are samish all the time, plus they can be very long, thus even more boring. Deinstalled the game, only caveat is that I payed 13€ for it, I thought it must have been less.

Flatout 4: Total Insanity, like you probably know, the latest installment of the Flatout series, bought it for 15€, just imagine it was full price when it came out. Played some races, was fun, but again, gets really boring after one hour, plus the difficulty already in the second racing series is elevated. In the first series I managed to come in almost first all the time, 2nd series it's last or second last, the AI is just ridiculously ferocious and bangs you around all the time, so that the races always result in a luck competition, nothing to do with who's the best driver, really annoying. Plus the mini games, which were always quite fine in the Flatout series, suck in this one. No content either, shallow product, avoid.

Trials Fusion, you know it, the trial bike simulation. I only played one of the predecessors on the PC, didn't like it at that time, but I must say, this one is fun. Tends to get super difficult later, but nonetheless you have some great fun time with it. Loads of online tracks for download (actually more than 150.000). Girlfriend watched me play, then she wanted to join, so we played local multiplayer and laughed a lot. She got even quite good after 30 minutes only, so it was a great competition and great fun to play together.

Also started playing Forza Motorsport 7, and it's very good, obviously, I guess thousands of reviews won't lie. It's quite tough though, I knew this was not an arcade racer, and as I never play simulation racing games, it can get tricky. But you have many options for assists in steering, braking and so on, so I have some of them activated, more or less.

Harrison
21st February 2018, 10:39
Trials Fusion is a great game. Especially multiplayer.

Demon Cleaner
21st February 2018, 10:54
I noticed there's quite a limited track selection in multiplayer though.

Teho
21st February 2018, 21:31
I think maybe this was mentioned earlier in the topic but the makers of Flatout 4 aren't the same guys who made the first two original games. So no wonder it's not up to par. The original developers are working on Wreckfest which has been in early access for a long time. One to watch, possibly.

Harrison
23rd February 2018, 11:48
That might explain it then. I didn't enjoy 3 and haven't bothered with 4. The first was the best.

Demon Cleaner
23rd February 2018, 16:29
The 3rd one is said to be the absolute worst in the series, the 4th is better, but still not very good.

Demon Cleaner
14th March 2018, 11:12
Still playing AC: Unity, although I'm almost finished, missing one sequence. I liked it a lot, and I'm also often doing other stuff than following the main plot.

Played Agatha Christie: The ABC murders with my girlfriend, she likes that kind of stuff, and it's a good change for me too, I like playing together with her, mostly PlayLink games. The game is not too bad, some tedious puzzles, interesting cases though, keeps you playing.

Started a Be A Pro career in NHL 18, and it's awesome. I skipped the 17 edition, that's what I usually do, and started now with Be a Pro, the mode I'm usually playing, and it's better than the 16 edition. Played almost through one whole CHL season, some more games, then playoffs, and then I will get drafted, looking forward to which NHL team will draft me this time. What was quite funny in NHL 16, my favorite NHL team is the Nashville Predators, and in NHL 16 I got miraculously drafted by Nashville :D How are the chances?

- - - Updated - - -

Finished AC: Unity yesterday and started with The Division, I always wanted to try that one out. But boy is it hard!! Didn't know that. I have problems passing the first missions, I have to replay them several times already. The enemies just keep running at you, you can take 3-4 hits before you die, and on the other hand, they can swallow 3 whole bullet magazines before going down. If this continues like this, I will eventually have to drop it.

Demon Cleaner
14th March 2018, 17:37
Interesting, as I continued, I came to the point where you can do matchmaking for the missions, that makes it a lot more interesting, as up to 3 buddies can join you, missions get more difficult, but manageable as you have help. I’m starting to like this now :)

Harrison
15th March 2018, 11:33
I own the Division but have never played it. Recommened?

Demon Cleaner
15th March 2018, 15:24
Not yet :) Played 4 missions together with the same people yesterday, and I really enjoyed that. Missions get quite difficult, but as you are 4 people, you can revive each other, and if all of you die, you just respawn just before where you died. Happened several times, but it was still fun.

Managed to get to level 10 during this 4 missions, and your gear starts to get better, plus you can upgrade your base operations which then give you nice talents and perks.

The game looks great, gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but as long as it’s fun, it’s fine. And I’m playing the single player campaign now, and it’s nice that you can get help from other people around. So far, the people joining were all around my level, which is also nice. The mission will always be as hard as the top leveled person in your team. The matchmaking is really good, you can even team up to free roam the city.

Didn’t yet go to the Darkzone, and honestly I don’t yet know what that is for? I only know that you get the best loot there. Anyhow, the game is a lot about looting and crafting, RPG style.

You have to know what you’re in the mood for before starting with the game, playing solo is killer commando, you won’t survive long, and you’ll get frustrated in no time. Playing with “friends” is a blast, and you can have hours of fun with the game.

Harrison
16th March 2018, 06:58
I've just got Final Fantasy XV with the PC release so will probably start playing that in the next couple of weeks. Really looking forward to this. I managed to pre-order it just before release to obtain a few extras.

Demon Cleaner
17th March 2018, 09:45
I still have to finish FFXV, I'm in chapter 13, so not too far from the end I guess. I also have the DLCs, bought the season pass together with the game, although I heard that the 3 individual chapters are quite average.

Yesterday I continued with The Division, and I tried to play one mission, the only one which is level 10, like me, got 2 guys together with me, but we didn't manage to succeed, I quit after 10 tries, it's just pure bullet hell!! Perhaps it's better to be 4 instead of 3, but what I read, if you are 4, then it's gonna be even more difficult. Wtf.

Started playing Everybody's Golf and I enjoy it a lot, always liked their titles, and this one is no difference. Easy to pick up, pure fun to play, recommended.

- - - Updated - - -

Talking about that mission about level 10.

The “end” fight is just mad.

There’s always bosses. And on top of their health bar, they also have shield. In this level they have 8 shield. You have to shoot 3-4 times to get one of the shields down. If you manage to destroy all the shields, he only has his usual health bar left, and you still have to shoot him many times. But these bosses don’t have guns, but instead an axe and guess what, also a physical shield. So when you shoot him, you don’t necessarily do damage. And as he doesn’t have a gun, he’s charging at you all the time, like crazy. Running away being the only option, and being vulnerable to all the others surrounding you.

On top of that, there’s 6 of them!!!

Plus you have your normal around 10 gunmen who shoot at you, and they don’t miss, plus 10 other guys chasing you with huge flamethrowers.

And yourself, you can take 3 hits. Yes you heard correctly, 3. So don’t wait for the other guys healing you when you’re down, as they are quite busy themselves not to die.

Demon Cleaner
20th March 2018, 03:32
Started and finished Shadow of the Colossus. Having mixed feelings about this. Whilst the game is ok, hunting down colossi is entertaining and rewarding, I kind of miss something else around. Empty world, nothing else to do, finished the game in 5 hours only. Well sort of, didn't finish the last one, as the 3rd time I fell off him, I almost smashed my controller, and the 4th time I quit and uninstalled the game, rage quit par excellence.

It looks beautiful, it's calming to play, but what is the most annoying, is the controls, for everything. The horse is less maneuverable than a 100 ton tank, honestly, no one of the developers play Red Dead Redemption before? The controls for the boy are cringe worthy, never had so much problems jumping around without falling off the next ledge. And why the hell do I have to hold the R2 button all the time when climbing somewhere, otherwise he falls off. I understand it's for grabbing, when you mount a colossi, but otherwise. Again, nobody ever played Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed? And the camera is a nightmare too, turning it around constantly to have a proper view, when climbing colossi not very helpful.

I would rate the game barely a 6 out of 10, and I'm gonna sell it straight away. I just should have played the PS3 version, that one would have been for free, plus I wouldn't even have spent 5 hours. Point.

Harrison
20th March 2018, 16:47
Remember it's an updated version of a PS2 game. They didn't want to altar the controls or game mechanics, just update the visuals and audio.

Loved this game when it originally came out. ICO too.

Teho
20th March 2018, 19:15
I remember they were proud of their horse AI. The controls seem sluggish because you do not directly control the horse, but rather give him signals with the reins and feet like a rider and the horse responds accordingly. It may for example be unwilling to do what you want for some reason or other. Whether or not this was a good idea design-wise is up to individual opinion I guess. It's been too many years for me to recall clearly how frustrating it could be.

The hold-button-to-grab thing was a bad idea even then however.

Harrison
21st March 2018, 09:27
Quite a few games used the hold to grab mechanic. Didn't Tomb Raider use it? Definitely annoying. Once you grab hold the character should just stay there.

Demon Cleaner
21st March 2018, 16:43
Tomb Raider didn’t.

Demon Cleaner
5th April 2018, 03:41
Continued eventually with The Witcher 3, I saw that my last game save was from September 2016, long time ago. I'm almost finished with the game anyway, but I also have the 2 DLCs Blood & Wine and Hearts of Stone which I didn't play yet. Was nice to get back to the game, as I really enjoy it, and with a lot of updates since, it is even a nicer experience.

Teho
5th April 2018, 07:34
Blood and Wine is really good. Should play it last since it is a good ending to the whole game. But if you're not going to play everything then at least play that one.

Harrison
5th April 2018, 15:29
Witcher 3 is deservedly stated as one of the greatest RPGs.

J T
13th April 2020, 23:33
Started and finished Shadow of the Colossus. Having mixed feelings about this. Whilst the game is ok, hunting down colossi is entertaining and rewarding, I kind of miss something else around. Empty world, nothing else to do, finished the game in 5 hours only. Well sort of, didn't finish the last one, as the 3rd time I fell off him, I almost smashed my controller, and the 4th time I quit and uninstalled the game, rage quit par excellence.

It looks beautiful, it's calming to play, but what is the most annoying, is the controls, for everything. The horse is less maneuverable than a 100 ton tank, honestly, no one of the developers play Red Dead Redemption before? The controls for the boy are cringe worthy, never had so much problems jumping around without falling off the next ledge. And why the hell do I have to hold the R2 button all the time when climbing somewhere, otherwise he falls off. I understand it's for grabbing, when you mount a colossi, but otherwise. Again, nobody ever played Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed? And the camera is a nightmare too, turning it around constantly to have a proper view, when climbing colossi not very helpful.

I would rate the game barely a 6 out of 10, and I'm gonna sell it straight away. I just should have played the PS3 version, that one would have been for free, plus I wouldn't even have spent 5 hours. Point.

Similar feels, man. I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus too - I never played it in the PS2 era.

The graphics on PS4 are great, the scenery beautiful and I dig the art style. The lonely, melancholy atmosphere is very well done and I have felt like a jerk killing these magnificent beasts but have also found it a thrill to best them in battle. I have mixed feelings about the game itself. I find it a mix of boring and exciting, and it's a bit of a chore I just want to get over. That being said, I just got up to the last guy and that does feel really epic... but I fell off when he had but a sliver of life left and I was too tired to continue. I'll get him tonight.

The toughest enemy has been the camera I feel. Flaming thing. I liked the horse tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Similar feels, man. I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus too - I never played it in the PS2 era.

The graphics on PS4 are great, the scenery beautiful and I dig the art style. The lonely, melancholy atmosphere is very well done and I have felt like a jerk killing these magnificent beasts but have also found it a thrill to best them in battle. I have mixed feelings about the game itself. I find it a mix of boring and exciting, and it's a bit of a chore I just want to get over. That being said, I just got up to the last guy and that does feel really epic... but I fell off when he had but a sliver of life left and I was too tired to continue. I'll get him tonight.

The toughest enemy has been the camera I feel. Flaming thing. I liked the horse tho.

Harrison
30th April 2020, 23:13
I've been playing a lot of Minecraft lately. I did play it a bit when it was first released about 10 years ago, but back then it felt like there wasn't much to do, or I didn't quite get the reason for playing it.

Fast forward to now and my 7 year old son really wanted to play it. He'd been watching a YouTube channel called Greg's World where initially the father and son were building Lego together, but then they started trying to play Minecraft together.

Tom had a little Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet for Christmas (Great little tablet for £49). I tested it out and it runs Minecraft OK, so set it up for him. We wanted to play in the same world together, so I looked into setting up a local server to run a LAN world, but his tablet kept disconnecting. So I tested out using the Realm servers and that worked really well, so I now subscribe for a realm server so it's running full time online. The advantage is Tom sometimes stays at his Granny's house so can access the realm world there too.

My wife then got a bit jealous of us playing it without her, so I had to spend ages setting up an account for her, and she's now addicted. Lol. And I have to admit it is a very addictive game that starts off seemingly quite simple, but you quickly start discovering more and more things to do. From building, mining, making a furnace, then discovering you can make glass windows and doors.. though to finding out you can become a farmer, ride horses, find and develop villages etc.. then you discover redstone and the ability to make circuits to activate tasks. Minecart setups. And then you have obsidian and portals to the Nether.

For me it began getting addictive when deciding to build a castle on a mountain I discovered, that had a nice oak forest and lake next to it, plus lots of useful resources nearby. It started off as a single fairly tall castle, but modest. It's now grown a bit out of control! Lol. It's basically now the whole mountain as towers, battlements, rooms and etc. I've minecarts running right though the mountain to a distant place. I've even built an aquarium and trying to catch different types of fish. It's addictive!

Tiago
4th May 2020, 11:45
I played Balrum in Pc in April, cool RPG, very old school.
Now i am playing Avernum I. Very cool.
Still waiting for Subnautica 2 and Kerbal Space Program 2