PDA

View Full Version : What retro systems and specific games have you played recently?

Harrison
10th February 2017, 10:44
So what retro games have you been playing lately? And which hardware have you been running them on? Real or emulated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Buleste
10th February 2017, 11:00
As per usual I've been building and testing CAS/TZXDuino so that means Spectrum and MSX games but recently I have been try Monty's Honey Run on the Spectrum. A new Monty Mole inspired game.

Harrison
10th February 2017, 11:33
Any good?

Teho
10th February 2017, 17:32
I got my hands on another Sharp MZ-700 recently, and I hooked it up and loaded a tape game to see if it worked. It did, but several keys on the keyboard didn't work and one cursor key for controlling the game was one of them. It probably just needs some cleaning up, but I was positively surprised that the old tape mechanism and the old tape still worked fine. The mechanism has probably never been cleaned or adjusted.

Apart from that I haven't been good at using any of my old systems in a while. These past years I've been getting the old Nintendo and Sega consoles after getting a set of Everdrive cartridges for them. But I haven't been using them, sadly.

Harrison
11th February 2017, 12:26
I also got Everdrives for all my retro systems but really haven't used them much because it was just before I moved. It was actually a forced decision not to set them up and play them until I have the house renovations mostly finished. I'm getting there and hope to be ready to unpack and play some more in about 1-2 months. I should then just have the bathroom to replace.

Buleste
13th February 2017, 10:47
Andy Johns has done another Moty Mole inspired game now.

http://zxbasic.uk/db/34

Demon Cleaner
13th February 2017, 13:30
Still going through every single MAME game from time to time, wanna make a set with all the best games, thus playtesting them all. Other than that, nothing.

Harrison
14th February 2017, 00:36
I've wanted to do that with MAME but with over 4000 games is a tall order. Always possible to find a new game you've never played just by randomly picking one.

Buleste
14th February 2017, 09:51
I just use Coinops8 On the XBox for MAME stuff and emulating any system I don't have.

Harrison
14th February 2017, 13:24
I keep meaning to try that as I have a couple of xboxes. Quite a hassle to find and setup from what I've read though. Should still do it though when I have the time.

J T
15th February 2017, 02:18
I dowloaded a Nokia Snake emulator for my Nexus 5X. It came with a number of Nokia Model 'overlays' which was nice, so it looked like the keypad and screen of your favourite model. I didn't play it for long though.

- - - Updated - - -

I also downloaded 'Dancehall sound FX' so that I could play blaring air horns and laser sound effects to drown out people talking in meetings if I didn't like what they were saying.

It also has voice FX so I can play a stab of someone yelling 'Lick it up rudebwoy', 'ease up rassclat' and 'REWIND SELECTA'. I have yet to find appropriate usage for these but they amuse me regardless.

Puni/Void
26th February 2017, 10:10
My Amiga 1200 has gotten some love recently, but used it mostly for AMOS though. Have played some Monkey Island II, as well as Moonstone and Nitro. :) Beside this, I've started using the PS2 a bit more again with Baldur's Gate and some other games.

J T
26th February 2017, 23:11
The fact that PS is now considered retro blows me away. As you said in another thread, time really does fly.

Puni/Void
27th February 2017, 20:01
The fact that PS is now considered retro blows me away. As you said in another thread, time really does fly.

It's apx. 16-17 years since the PS2 was released and that is incredible if you ask me. When I play on this console it does not feel that old, hehe. :D

J T
27th February 2017, 21:43
Good grief, that does seem like a long time ago. I remember buying my PS2 (from Blockbuster Video, trivia fans) and thinking it was the absolute business. I had some good times with that console, although there are only a small handful of games I would really care to revisit.

A lot of the games that I enjoyed as multiplayer would not be the same without the original group of players, which have long since dispersed. My youth is gone, man, and it aint coming back :cry::cry::cry:

Harrison
28th February 2017, 10:49
Thr PS2 had one of, if not the largest catalogue of games released. As a big RPG fan there are still so many amazing games I have to play on the system.

It's architecture is the reason the PS2 hasn't dated that badly. The PS1 however is starting to show its age in terms of early 3D graphics but still some amazing games to play.

I think the term retro is quite loose. Some consider the Xbox retro, some even the 360, but that's way too new for retro in my view. Even Dreamcast isn't really retro enough yet. But this could be more the fact that game development really hasn't pushed ahead in any way near the constant evolution it did in the days when we jumped from 8bit to 16bit and then to 32 bit. Other than graphics getting more complex and photorealistic the genres and game design really hadn't changed that much since the original Playstation.

Demon Cleaner
28th February 2017, 16:03
I have 120 RPGs for PS2 in my collection.

Harrison
1st March 2017, 01:35
Remember the PS2 RPG list we created on here? I still have so many of them to play. I tested each for at least an hour after downloading and burning them, but not more. I still have a shortlist of RPGs I want to play through before the others.

Thr problem is other games keep getting released too. So much to play, so little time!

Demon Cleaner
1st March 2017, 16:27
The problem is other games keep getting released too.
Exactly the problem.