PDA

View Full Version : Europe Freeze!

Kin Hell
10th January 2017, 11:06
WOW!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXmTwFsR28

Global Warming.... We haven't seen anything yet! :eyebrow:

@ Phantom

Lucky bastards, we have full of rain, but no snow as usual. Hey Charlie, pack me some snow and send it to Crete please. :lol:

From this thread: http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/showthread.php/5352-First-snow?p=51331&viewfull=1#post51331

You have your own now bud. :D

Kin Hell
17th January 2017, 12:07
I'm rather surprised no one finds this almost Epic weather event interesting/alarming/concerning???

The day after the evening this happened, the 6am BBC News showed pictures of Greek beaches covered with 50 - 75mm of snow. They repeat the same half hour slot with updates right through to 9am.
They never showed those pics again. :eyebrow:

Demon Cleaner
17th January 2017, 18:08
Well I just checked Athens today at weather.com/de and it says 15 degrees +, so the least I can say is that I find your posted video a bit suspicious when I watched it. Finland seems to have their warmest winters since some years, so it might be just the opposite.

Harrison
18th January 2017, 09:38
Greece definitely had an unexpected snow fall recently because they were worried about the refugee camps on some of the islands. But I expect the weather has changed since.

It is strange that the news never reported on it again though as Charlie said.

It was due to a very cold air steam which moved down lower then normal. Weather forecasts thought it was going to move up and cause heavy snow in the south of England but that never happened.

It has been between -6 and -10 Deg C here in the south at night and around -2 to +3 in thr daytime so pretty cold. No sign of snow though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Demon Cleaner
18th January 2017, 11:40
It has been between -6 and -10 Deg C here in the south at night and around -2 to +3 in thr daytime so pretty cold. No sign of snow though.
EXACTLY the same here! Although the north of Luxembourg had 20-30cm of snow last weekend. They said that this night it could drop to -15 maximum.

Tiago
18th January 2017, 12:22
Today in PT - Lisbon i got +6c at 8:00 AM. For Lisbon is quite cold. In the north of Portugal we can get -7 in some areas. but average temperature in winter is not that low.
During the day here in Lisbon, after 11:00AM you get from + 12 to +20C in winter in a lot of days. And you can have +25 some days.
The weather is not that cold as rest of Europe. We only have one spot in the country that has constant snow, and it's above 1500m, the rest of it has a bit o rain, some cold, but usually is blue sky. for example, right now, here in Lisbon it's is +13 and we dont have a single cloud. 100% blue sky, it's even hard to open your eyes outside.

Harrison
18th January 2017, 12:51
And that is why many from the UK go on winter holidays to Portugal. :-)

Personally I don't mind the cold weather. I also like the fact it allows the garden to die right back so I can get to everything and clear it out a bit.

Also love how the landscape changes in thr uk so much in the Winter. Leaves not on the trees. Everything dies back. Frost on everything in the morning.

It's also great having log fires in cold evenings. We had an open fire reinstated in our living room end of last year as the old owners had blocked it up. And just a couple of weeks ago had the dinning room fireplace opened up and a wood burning stove installed. Free to run as we have our own woods and it heats the whole downstairs. Love looking at the wood burning. I also learnt that a wood burner is classed as 0 CO2 because the trees you are burning actually absorb more CO2 than they emit when burnt in a wood burner. Also means I don't spend any money on central heating.

I will post pictures of my house renovations in a separate thread once it's slightly more finished. I'm hoping to get most finished by March.

Kin Hell
19th January 2017, 08:25
Here's the BBC report. The opening two pics of parasols on Greek beaches with snow are the images they first showed on the 6 am news as I described earlier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38550369

Let the Auto play follow on with the weather report. ;)

Tiago
19th January 2017, 12:27
I was talking about the good weather here in PT, and guess what... It snow a bit in Algarve !! I am shocked. Algarve is in the south, the weather is always good there.
One area near the beach... snow! :blink:
This is crazy, today the temperature dropped a lot. I left home with +1c. North of Portugal got in some areas -7c .... I don't have proper clothes for less then 3c or 4c.
Lisbon at 05.00 was -4c ....

Teho
19th January 2017, 13:08
About not having the proper clothes, we have a saying here: "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing!" ;) This from a country that can see sun and a blue sky one moment, and grey clouds and sideways rain the next.

That said, Norway's winter has been record breaking warm so far. This week has been one of the coldest with -2 to -8 celsius and icy roads. But earlier the temperature has mostly been on the plus side, and that is abnormal for Norway. But the latest winters have all been fairly warm with little snowfall. Not proper winters at all. I posted a picture of the first snowfall back in november, looked promising then. But that snow was gone in a week, and it's been nothing but rain ever since. The last proper winter was five or six years ago, but that one was crazy in the other direction with massive amounts of snow and temperatures dropping to -30 for many weeks even here down south in Norway. But in the years before that the winters were warm as well. Strange times, when I was young we used to have winters with nice and average snowfall and temperatures generally ranging from -10 to -20 in the coldest period almost every year. Seems forever now since the last time it was like that.

Tiago
19th January 2017, 16:54
-30.....?!?!? how do you live with that?? I have +2c and almost die... The minimum temperature i saw was -5c at 3000 meters in switzerland, and i was afraid that my ears would fall to the ground. -5c was the limit for me. Everyone around was fine, but could barely breath... the air in my lungs was to cold for what my body is used to.
I cannot even imagine what is -30....
but in the other point of the scale, i know what is >40ºc... in some areas in Portugal, 3 years ago, i got +46ºc .... thats hot !

Harrison
20th January 2017, 07:02
It just depends what you are used to and your ethnic background. Someone I work with has Spanish parents and he's wearing a coat and scarf at work and still shivering.

It's been -1 to -9 here most evenings for the past month but I'm not that bothered by it. I still wear just a Tshirt most of the time and just put a jacket on outside and only think it's slightly chilly. And I think I can breath much better in cold weather. Some of my family originate from Scotland so I suppose I have cold tolerance built in. :-)

As for hot weather I don't like it so much. I'm only really comfortable with 20 Deg. Anything warmer and I really don't like it. 30 Deg and I'm nearly dying. Although when in Italy and Greece I didn't mind 40 Deg so much because it was dry heat. But I still couldn't live somewhere as hot.

Kin Hell
20th January 2017, 09:19
@ thread

I've worked in -50 with ice on my Goatee & eye lashes. Not for the faint hearted & so glad when it was over after 9 months.

@ Teho

Just the same for us here in the UK. Born in West Yorkshire back in '62, Winters were Winters back then, even through into the late 70's & early 80's. - But since then, the seasons are messed up with late Autumns & no real Winter to speak of because it's too mild. However, despite Winters being milder, Cornwall's bloom of Spring Flowers like Daffodils & Snow Drops usually show up in early January. This has not been the case for the last 7 or 8 years & we don't see them now until March/April, much like it use to be when I lived further North in Yorkshire.
Thank Dog we still have our Palm Trees down here. :)

@ thread

I see central Italy have had a #5 Earthquake which is believed to be the cause of a massive Avalanche engulfing an entire Hotel. Apparently, one wing of the Hotel has moved 10 Metre's off it's foundations! :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38685489

Stephen Coates
20th January 2017, 14:09
Its been quite warm up here (for the time of year). Its been less than 10C and we only had a few days after Christmas when it was very cold.

Looks like the next few days will be a bit chilly, but certainly nothing extreme.

I don't care much for extremely cold or extremely hot. At least when its cold, you can put extra clothes on, or turn the heating on. I think the hottest place I've been to was Barbados. I didn't cope too well with the heat there (although it was fine if you're in the sea). English summers are usually fine temperature wise; the only problem being the heat inside the house.

Demon Cleaner
20th January 2017, 16:13
the only problem being the heat inside the house.
Having a bit of the same problem here, once the house is heated up, it's quite difficult to get rid of it. I hate it most during the night, as you can't sleep at all if it's too hot. Absolutely hate when it starts getting over 28 degrees. Best is probably sunny plus around 25 degrees.

Harrison
21st January 2017, 02:10
Agree with that. Hot nights in the summer are never good.

I see they have found survivors in that Italian hotel which is good news. They were lucky.

@kin. The daffodils and snow drops were out in our garden and wood in February last year. I think it was warmer this time last year though so I wait to see when they arrive this year. There are already shoots from the bubs though so they are starting. As are the bluebells, although I'm not letting the whole woods become bluebells this year as there were too many last. I've kept mowing to reduce them.

Kin Hell
21st January 2017, 07:21
Aye, hot nights are a sod to deal with here too. I don't think anyone can stand heat in the night when trying to sleep.

& marvellous news hearing there are some survivors from the Hotel in Italy. I hope they find more soon.

@ H

Yes indeed, your new property certainly had it's own "meadows-worth" of bluebells for sure. So very pretty though Dave. :yesyes:

Harrison
22nd January 2017, 22:32
They did look lovely but once they were over the amount of foliage I had to clear was a lot.

Kin Hell
24th January 2017, 07:50
Rubber bands H. U have access to shed loads in the Post Office.

Once the bluebells start to wither, leave them planted & grab into a bunch pulling lightly upwards. Fold downwards half the stems height & put a band on them.

Makes tidying up much easier later on. :thumbs:

Harrison
24th January 2017, 13:17
Too many to do that. Plus each clump of foliage was over a foot across and there must have been hundreds of clumps.

This year in just allowing them around the bottom each the trees and in the out of way places.

Kin Hell
24th January 2017, 13:40
Heck, I knew you had a lot of Bluebells from the pics u posted but if it's that bad m8, only one thing for it......

:jason:

Harrison
25th January 2017, 06:51
Lol. I do have a rotavator. But I've found if I just keep mowing over them it stops most of them coming up.

Only way to really stop them would be to dig all the bulbs up, but they are quite far down and there are always loads of bulbs per clump so some get left behind. And when you pull up the foliage it comes away from the bulb really easily so you can't do it that way. Never thought having too many bluebells would be an issue.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Kin Hell
25th January 2017, 12:55
ROFL Dave! :lol:

It appears as though the Death Toll RE the Italy Avalanche is standing @ 14 as of yesterday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/23/death-toll-italys-hotel-avalanche-rises-six-prosecutors-study/

Time is running out for further survivors, which are surely going to become miracle events if at all. :(

Harrison
25th January 2017, 22:48
It has been amazing that they found any alive at all. Looking at the hotel before and after the avalanche it looked like there wasn't much left.

I was so glad they found the family alive of the man whom was outside when it happened and alerted the emergency services. He literally just left the hotel to get something from his car and it happened. His family were all inside as he watched. Amazing they all survived.

Kin Hell
26th January 2017, 11:37
Indeed H. It's all the Rock & boulders that the avalanche pushes forward as it descends over the terrain. It's hard to imagine being being crushed instantly with Ice & Rock..... What a horrible way to go!

Looks like the Insurance are looking @ Emails from the Hotel pleading for help hours before the disaster. Someone could be for the High Jump eh! :eyebrow:

&..... Feck Me!

As of this morning, I can confirm seeing several Monkeys scampering across the road with Oxyacetylene Torches in hand. We now have all that cold air from Europe being blasted into Cornwall from France. It's 5 DegC but the Gale force winds are making it feel like -1+.

It's been some time happening this year, but it looks like winter has finally landed for us! 1120

Stephen Coates
26th January 2017, 15:07
Its been really cold up here in Yorkshire as well. I put some washing out this morning, and some of it was frozen when I brought it in just now.

I just stuck a thermocouple out of the window and its reading -3C.

Harrison
27th January 2017, 09:39
Hanging washing out this time of year? Does it ever dry?

It's not been in positive temps here for a couple of weeks. -3 most days this week. And -6 last night. Very cold. Enjoying my wood burner a lot!

Stephen Coates
28th January 2017, 11:02
If the sun shines on it it will dry. If not, only the really thin stuff which is only slightly damp when it comes out of the washing machine will dry. Still, its always nicer when the washing has had plenty of fresh air.

The wood burner sounds nice for this time of year :).

Harrison
28th January 2017, 19:46
I agree. I much prefer washing dried on the line. You don't have to iron as much normally either.

Kin Hell
30th January 2017, 08:41
Washing machine & separate Dryer here. Perhaps lucky enough to have a converted outbuilding opposite our back door, utilising Laundry facilities with Vents out through the wall from the Dryer & the room itself.
Come Rain or Shine, any day can be a Laundry day if you have your own Laundry facilities.

Washing lines..... Yuk! :thumbsdown2:

Seagull Shit Everywhere, Bath Towels like dragging a RASP file over your body, bugs shagging in your Boxer Shorts & laying eggs in the breeze! Meh..... so primal these days. :eyebrow:

Stephen Coates
30th January 2017, 10:57
I have a separate tumble dryer too, which I do use in the winter. It uses a lot of electricity though, so would get quite expensive if I were to use it for everything.

We don't tend to get seagulls here. I did used to see them quite often a couple of miles away though.

Harrison
31st January 2017, 06:46
We converted part of out garage into a laundry/utility room. The downstairs toilet backed onto it so water was easy to supply and I drilled a hole through the wall and fitted a dryer vent and ran more electric points. Much better having it there than in the kitchen.

But as Steve said dryers are really expensive to run so only use it mostly in the winter. It is annoying when you have just hung clothes out and it rains though.

Kin Hell
31st January 2017, 08:58
BOT.......

http://news.sky.com/story/italy-avalanche-death-toll-rises-to-29-as-final-bodies-pulled-from-wreckage-10743048

An estimated 60,000 Tonnes of snow hit the Hotel, equal to being hit by 4,000 loaded Lorries, though there is no mention of the size of Lorry used for their calculations. :eyebrow:

So.....

Articulated weight limit is 44 Tonnes, therefore 60,000 divided by 44 = 1,363.63 44-Tonne Articulated Lorries, not 4,000.
Or in their appraisal, 60,000 Tonnes of snow divided by 4,000 Lorries = 15 Tonnes per fully loaded Lorry.

Small Lorries huh! :rolleyes:

Harrison
1st February 2017, 06:34
It's still a lot of snow!

J T
13th February 2017, 01:50
It's been bastard hot out here lately - a record breaking summer of extreme heat.

Everyone back home in the UK says 'oh how lovely' but unless they have sat through days of +40C, they don't really understand. Did I tell you that my house isn't air-conditioned?

Harrison
13th February 2017, 06:51
No air con! I couldn't survive in +40 without it. Can't you buy one of those portable units? My dad has one and it gets a large room nice and cold.

I have experienced +40 when on holiday in Greece years ago. It was too hot for me, but it was a dry heat so at least you didn't sweat.

Kin Hell
13th February 2017, 08:25
No Air Con in 40+ .... Unimaginable! :blink:

J T
15th February 2017, 01:08
It's certainly uncomfortable but survivable (keep windows and blinds shut until the air cools, used ceiling fans, don't try and do anything other than lounge around in undies.... or get in the car and hit the beach/cinema/shops - clothes back on first though)

It's not too humid here though, which is good. We are a little ways inland and quite elevated. Gets cold here in winter too (personally I think central heating [we don't have that either, just one gas fire in the lounge] would be of greater benefit than air con)

Demon Cleaner
15th February 2017, 11:26
How does it look spider and snake wise anyways? I would personally hate having huge spiders in my house or around, already have to deal with some nasty ones here, yucky although not poisonous ;)

J T
16th February 2017, 03:52
We get a few snakes and spiders but they are relatively easily avoided as long as due care is taken.

We've had redbacks (venomous) in our garden and garage before. We've had a funnelweb outside - I think it was a funnelweb - they come out after the summer rain, big mother-f-ers and super , super dangerous. Those bad guys get sprayed and then stamped on, then sprayed again! Inside the house we get a lot of huntsman spiders. They aren't dangerous but look horrible, they are really big and really fast. I try not to kill them though as they eat the nastier spiders and bugs so I catch them and put them outside.

I've seen a few snakes but not many, they really don't like being around people. We get them at work in the bushes around the car park from time to time. There was one outside my office window a while ago. The wildlife here is actually quite cool, we've seen some great things (wombats, wallabies and roos, echidnas, bluetongue lizards, kookaburras, eagles, wild dolphins at the harbour....)

I'll have to dig out some pics and videos. I'm not keen on snakes or spiders but we quite quickly learned to live with and deal with them.

Kin Hell
16th February 2017, 06:46
Snakes are ok for me, but I'd sooner be a safe distance when it comes to Spiders.

You'd need a pair of Hiking boots on to stomp a Funnelweb. - F'k trying to stomp one in flip flops.... :eyebrow:

Demon Cleaner
16th February 2017, 07:37
Snakes are ok for me, but I'd sooner be a safe distance when it comes to Spiders.
Same here, but my girlfriend even closes her eyes when she only sees a snake on TV, quite scared.

J T
16th February 2017, 07:54
Same here, but my girlfriend even closes her eyes when she only sees a snake on TV, quite scared.

I could show her a snake that'd make her scream :oldtimer:

Teho
16th February 2017, 14:54
There's the J T I remember!

Kin Hell
17th February 2017, 09:42
<snip>

I could show her a snake that'd make her scream :oldtimer:

Tsk Tsk.... Not a scabby one is it? :shades: