PDA

View Full Version : We need your help

Harrison
16th April 2007, 16:50
Do you have any detailed game walkthroughs or guides? If so please post what you have here as we need all that we can find for the main site to make it the best collection of cheats and walkthroughs online.

We are looking for any type you may have. Plain text in a style similar to GameFAQs is fine, and scanned walkthroughs and guides from magazines and books even more so.

There were also a large collections of discs released into the Amiga public domain containing a lot of cheats and walkthroughs. If you have some of these and would like to help us out, we are looking for volunteers to convert all of the text files they contain into plain .txt files that we can then host on the site for everyone to use and enjoy.

Please get in touch if you can help. :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
17th April 2007, 08:34
I can add a lot of cheats, but that takes a lot of time too, as I try already to do screenshots. I have the Amiga Cheats&Configs 0.72 (16.5.2003) file, don't know if you know what that is, but it contains hundreds of cheat, is all in german though, but the codes are the same english codes. I can save every cheat to a txt file, but that would take the same amount of time than adding it to the site immediately.

Amiga cheats: 1280
CD32 cheats: 63

Harrison
17th April 2007, 08:54
I have similar cheat text files in English and have already been adding a lot of cheats to the site, which I'm fine with doing myself. It is more guides and walkthroughs for games that we are in need of for the site and I need help collecting together as many as we can find for the site.

AlexJ
17th April 2007, 13:40
There's quite a few guides etc. on the "The One" magazine DVD I've got. Tell me what format you want them in, and I'll start to clean a few of them up for the site.

Harrison
17th April 2007, 14:08
If they are images then either png of jpg would be best to use.

Which of these depends on what happens when you try the two formats. If they is not much variation in the colours used in each scan then png will normally keep the image clean and quite small, but if there is a large variety of colour and information then jpg would be better.

Are these page scans directly from the magazine?

AlexJ
17th April 2007, 15:14
If they are images then either png of jpg would be best to use.

Which of these depends on what happens when you try the two formats. If they is not much variation in the colours used in each scan then png will normally keep the image clean and quite small, but if there is a large variety of colour and information then jpg would be better.

Are these page scans directly from the magazine?

Yeah, they're the original page scans from the magazine. Probably be a good idea to get them how they'll be needed for the magazine archive as well to save having to crop & correct them all twice. 1000px wide in .jpg produces good quality images with the text easy to read, but the file size per page is 400-500kb (~50MB an issue). Is this too high?

Harrison
17th April 2007, 15:30
50MB per PDf issue sounds about right for a complete magazine. The complete Amiga magazine PDFs I have of Cu Amiga and Amiga Shopper from other sources are all around 50MB in size for roughly 100 pages and I think this is a good size guide when we create the PDFs.

But we may be able to get the size of each page smaller than 500KB, but we will need to experiment a bit to find a good balance between size and quality. I will do some testing tomorrow and work out a good balance and post some page size and compression information, but from what you have said it sounds pretty much ok how you already have them.

Teho
17th April 2007, 15:44
Scans of CU Amiga issues 0 - 78 was just uploaded on Underground Gamer. No idea of what quality they are in. Will you get them or shall I?

Harrison
17th April 2007, 15:48
That's great news. Maybe we should both download them, then we can share the uploading of them to the site between us. I bet DC will download them as well once he finds out. :)

Teho
17th April 2007, 15:53
Good idea. I've joined it then. I didn't know Demon was a member at UG too. But I suppose I should've guessed. :D

Harrison
17th April 2007, 15:57
I don't think he is yet, but once he finds this out I bet he will join, especially as his connection has just been upgraded!

Demon Cleaner
17th April 2007, 16:16
No, unfortunately I'm no member due to upload limitations here in Lux. But this will change in May :thumbs:

Harrison
17th April 2007, 22:58
I've now been in contact with the uploader on Underground Gamer asking him for information on the source of the magazine archive. He said it came from www.zzap64.co.uk and on looking at the site it does seem to be the source.

That site actually sells DVD archives for many different Commodore magazines, and of interest especially to DC will be the fact that most of the collections are for complete scanned archives of mostly C64 magazines, with a couple of Amiga ones.

The site is selling each collection on DVD for £11.99 which isn't exactly cheap, but when you consider how long it would take to scan the lot in it's not actually all that much. Check out the site to see the other DVD collections on offer at http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzuperstore.html

AlexJ
17th April 2007, 23:16
I've now been in contact with the uploader on Underground Gamer asking him for information on the source of the magazine archive. He said it came from www.zzap64.co.uk and on looking at the site it does seem to be the source.

That site actually sells DVD archives for many different Commodore magazines, and of interest especially to DC will be the fact that most of the collections are for complete scanned archives of mostly C64 magazines, with a couple of Amiga ones.

The site is selling each collection on DVD for £11.99 which isn't exactly cheap, but when you consider how long it would take to scan the lot in it's not actually all that much. Check out the site to see the other DVD collections on offer at http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzuperstore.html

That's where my 'The One' magazine DVD comes from so I'd imagine the scanner would be cool with us uploading the Commodore User scans also. I've also ordered a DVD containing the Amiga Force (as well as Nintendo Force and Sega Force) issues. If anyone wants a copy of either DVD, I'm willing to do it for cost of the DVD + postage, that's about £4 for the 2 The One DVDs and either £2 or £4 for the Force DVD (depending on how many discs it is) for delivery in the UK or alternatively I'll send one of them for free in exchange for a DVD(s) of the CU Amiga set. PM me if interested.

One last point, the scans will need cleaning before putting them on the site - rotate, crop & auto levels which takes ~30 seconds per page in Photoshop. If anyone is willing to help, I'll upload an issue for them to clean. Another idea is to have a central repository of the full page game adverts, to save several people correcting the same advert.

Demon Cleaner
18th April 2007, 04:40
I have a DVD covering all 107 Zzap64 issues.

thirtywinter
5th March 2009, 04:02
Fellas.. I apologize for re-animating another dead thread.. but scans of all issues of Commodore User??? That used to be my favorite magazine back in the day!! SCORE!

This calls for a sweet celebration!

:dancing_heroes:

btw.. are those mags only available over torrent or are they available on this site as well?

GaryOCO
17th July 2009, 05:18
As I said on another page, check out this site

http://eager.back2roots.org/

For some amazing info on heaps of Amiga games.

Harrison
17th July 2009, 16:41
Yeah, we know back2roots well. I already have the permission from one of the founding members of back2roots to use any of his own content that was imported into that site from the site he ran alone before that. Mostly box scans, but some other stuff too.

Sadly back2roots is quite an unstable site and can sometimes be down for weeks, even months.