PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying old adventures again with Dosbox and ScummVM

Ghost
8th April 2007, 18:57
Hello all,

As usual I am always the last again to discover this, most of you probably have been using these programs for weeks or months already, but thanks to Dosbox and ScummVM I can enjoy all those good Dos games (mostly adventures) without going through the pain of making all kinds of routines or putting two different OS on my computer.

Despite their age I still enjoy games such as Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Dig, and Star Trek 25th Anniversary/Judgement Rites.
I am not sure if I am going to run the Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2 again as I have been kind of spoiled with Curse of Monky Island and Escape From Monkey Island.
Of course part 1 and 2 were still the best but its disappointing that there never was a third game of the same developers.

In case any of you is interested, there is a fan project to create a new Indiana Jones graphics adventure.
They have been busy for seven years now and last year they released a demo.
http://www.barnettcollege.com/index2.htm

While I enjoyed hearing Doug Lee's voice (he voiced Indy in the games) in The Infernal Machine, I never enjoyed the more action based Indy games such as Infernal Machine and Emperor's Tomb as much as the adventure games, probably because of control and a console approach.

Demon Cleaner
9th April 2007, 12:15
ScummVM is great, and there are also 2 other emulators, for SCI and AGI games. The whole is called PASSIGAR and you can find the homepage here. (http://www.sqeagz.com/passigar/) Another great site, if you don't know it already, is Abandonia (http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php), where you can get most DOS games for free.

But if you're a real man, you go at Pleasuredome, simply download the PASSIGAR and DOSCollection torrents, as they're for FREE!!! PASSIGAR is 25GB though, but the DOSCollection is divided onto 2 DVDs (9GB) and contains almost the games (approx. 2850 files), also those found at Abandonia.

J T
10th April 2007, 12:15
Scumm VM is great, and has recently been ported to the Nintendo DS. I had a play at getting it to work and it's very neat indeed.

Monkey Island 1 and 2, portable, touch screen control, and a ten day holiday for me?
AWESOME.

LowercaseE
10th April 2007, 13:33
Thanks for that link to Abandonia DC! I never knew about them.

I'm a big fan of DOSBox too, it's so nice to be able to play all those classic games just the way I remember them.

Harrison
10th April 2007, 17:21
If you are an adventure fan then as DC mentioned, PASSIGAR is well worth while downloading as it will give you a nice collection in addition to ScummVM.

ScummVM is also ported to the PSP but I've not tried it yet. I definitely should as games such as MI would be great on the PSP.

As well as Abandonia don't forget the famous Home of the Underdogs. But it is now found under a new URL of www.the-underdogs.info/ after a lot of trouble with their old domain registration renewal.

J T
10th April 2007, 18:04
If you do try ScummVM with the PSP I would be keen to hear your thoughts on it. So far I have only had a short try on the DS and it works very well indeed but has a few flaws - ones which i am not sure would ruin the game but may be a bit of a pain, or at least until fully used to controls which are very very similar in principle to a mouse control (ie pointing at things), but with a few noticeable differences.

I'm intending to do a proper post on scumm VM for DS, but haven't had a huge amount of free time recently.