PDA

View Full Version : Definitive version of games (Amiga/PC, perhaps other platforms)

Ghost
27th January 2014, 07:48
Hello all,

I was looking at some games on Mobygames that have been released for both PC and Amiga (and other platforms) when I was suddenly wondering "What are the definitive versions of some games"?

With games such as It came from the desert and Cannon Fodder it is obvious but sometimes the differences are a bit harder to spot.
With this I assume that the controls of the games are in general the same but that graphics and music of some versions are way better than that of others.

Any games people here can tell me about?

Harrison
27th January 2014, 09:54
It came from the Desert is actually meant to be better on the Sega Megadrive, but I've only been told this and not tried the MD version.

Captain Blood is one. The Atari ST version is better than the Amiga version. Better music and audio for alien speech, which is missing from the Amiga release.

And in general most console ports were better on their original platform. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2 being good examples, however with the latter, the Snes version was the better game, but the MD version had more blood and graphic finishing moves.

There are loads of games to explore on this subject. Also look up Enduro Racer. It wasn't released on the Amiga, but I really enjoyed the Atari ST version. But have a look at the game compared on YouTube. The different platform versions are quite different. Some not even the same game!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ghost
27th January 2014, 11:57
It came from the Desert is actually meant to be better on the Sega Megadrive, but I've only been told this and not tried the MD version.

I can tell you that it is a lie, ICFTD on the Megadrive is not at all like the Amiga game, it is a top down shooter with some broken game mechanics. But you probably know this and probably did this to trick me :)

Phantom
28th January 2014, 17:08
A fine example. Turrican 2 for Amiga and peecee. Night and day.

Harrison
28th January 2014, 22:06

I can tell you that it is a lie, ICFTD on the Megadrive is not at all like the Amiga game, it is a top down shooter with some broken game mechanics. But you probably know this and probably did this to trick me :)

I've never played the MD version myself, so was only going by other comments. Now I've got an MD Everdrive I might give it a play though and see.

Ghost
30th January 2014, 06:40
Perhaps you should watch this video Dave before you try the game, it should give you an idea what I was talking about; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUDHw8Y_vSA

Ghost
2nd December 2014, 18:48
Today on a gaming news site I read an article that the Sega Megadrive version of It came from the Desert will come out as yet with a new intro, cutscenes, ending, and gameplay elements.
Cinemaware is working together with the people who developed Pier Solar to release this game around Christmas.

Game is still average in my own opinion and this seems more like a stunt to get money from retro collectors but we'll see what the reaction of the buyers will be.

I doubt it will cause a renewed interest by major developers to make games for older consoles and home computers again.

Demon Cleaner
3rd December 2014, 04:41
Game is indeed average, I didn't play it a lot back in the time, but it sure did look great (Amiga version). I wouldn't fund it.

Ghost
3rd December 2014, 06:35
Hi Demon Cleaner,

I wonder what the point of releasing this game is.
From what I understand even one of the developers was not happy with it.

Even from a collector's perspective it is not such a 'lost treasure' that was unable to be published because the publisher had no money at the time or some other problem came up like marketing deciding that the game wasn't worth mass producing because it would not make back the money it cost to do that and distribute it.

I checked out Cinemaware's website afterwards.
I confess that the Rocket Ranger remake they were doing a kickstarter for looks interesting but perhaps that is mostly because I have a weakness for old games.
Not sure on that either if that if such a feasible project.

It seems to be one of those projects that seeks to make use of the renewed interest in old style games started by Double Fine and Inxile.

Demon Cleaner
3rd December 2014, 16:06
I liked TV Sports Basketball/Football quite a lot.

Ghost
16th December 2014, 15:20
I liked TV Sports Basketball/Football quite a lot.

Sorry for the late response, did those also appear on other machines like the PC and C64?

Which do you think were the definite versions?

Demon Cleaner
16th December 2014, 18:03
I never saw the C64 version and I never played the DOS version, and there's also one TurboGrafx-16 version, that I never tried.