PDA

View Full Version : Who here has STALKER?

Ghost
2nd April 2007, 22:58
Hello people,

Which amongst you has the game STALKER?
I bought the special edition today, the tin box with all the extra stuff, unfortunate I discover after installing the game that my machine does not have enough memory.

This isn't so bad that I will return the game, I was already planning to upgrade my machine, but it does leave me with nothing to do on the moment.

Harrison
2nd April 2007, 23:44
I "acquired" the game on its release day but have yet to play it. Reviews have been pretty good, if not as good as was hoped from the shining previews it got before its release.

Demon Cleaner
3rd April 2007, 07:18
I have seen them playing it at Giga Games on TV, and it looked pretty good. They did a comparison between high quality and average quality, and it seems that it runs very good and also looks very good at only the average quality, whilst still giving a good performance.

It's another FPS though, so nothing that suits me. (so where would Harrison have acquired the game :hmmm:)

Submeg
3rd April 2007, 10:16
See, Harrison has a special computer. His computer gives him games to play. Isn't his computer considerate. Or possibly crying for attention. Not sure which :hmmm:

Wait no, sorry its an attention seeker. :thumbs:

Harrison
3rd April 2007, 10:36
:lol:

The truth is my PC collects "all" PC game releases for me. It's a very helpful and considerate PC in this respect as I obviously couldn't afford to purchase every game as that would cost a small fortune. Instead my PC allows me the chance to test drive every new game on release (or just before), letting me see if the game is worth the purchase price or not. I then do purchase the ones I wish to fully play further and know I will get my monies worth from..

You could argue that my PC could just let me play the free demo's that are normally released for each game, but as many of you know most game demos are created from pre-release code and used to show the games off in game preview events, so playing a demo is never a true representation of the finished game. And my PC knows this only too well, hence it's good natured ability to allow me the chance to play every game in full first. ;)

Submeg
4th April 2007, 00:18
I wish my PC was as smart as yours...it only seems to able to find demos of pr0n....very strange inclination my PC has...:unsure:

Demon Cleaner
4th April 2007, 06:17
it only seems to able to find demos of pr0nMine does not only find "demos" :banana:

Submeg
4th April 2007, 06:43
But its speed is severely limited, it gives up halfway through...

Harrison
4th April 2007, 09:15
Maybe it thinks you only ever need to watch the first half!

Demon Cleaner
4th April 2007, 09:44
Maybe it thinks you only ever need to watch the first half!:lol: if the right scene is played, it only needs to run 1-2 minutes :lol:

Harrison
21st September 2007, 17:46
I finally installed STALKER today to see how good it was and am so far very impressed. The outdoor graphics put Oblivion to shame. On my setup I have it running at 1280x1024 with detail on max with dynamic lighting and it runs very smoothly with no slowdown at all. The outdoor textures look great and there is no lose of detail at distance.

The game is also great fun so far and for me I think many elements show what was missing from HL2. Much more non linear too.

Ghost
21st September 2007, 23:55
Hello,

I do have the game, the special edition to be precise, but unfortunate due to my current PC's limitations I haven't been able to run it yet.

I kind if had hoped to play it before the expansion was released.

Harrison
22nd September 2007, 00:27
When is the expansion due out?

And any news on when you will be able to expand/build your PC?

Ghost
23rd September 2007, 04:19
Hello Harrison,

I only know that it is suppose to be released this Fall or at least in Winter, but not an exact date yet.
The expansion actually takes place before the main game and introduces some new areas.

As for my PC, well I finally have received my mom's inheritance so I should start to consider what hardware I would like to have in my PC.

StuKeith
23rd September 2007, 23:38
Ive got it but my pc struggles to play it at `1024x768. I have an ok machine 2.

2gig ram
512 7600GS

Harrison
24th September 2007, 12:40
I'm running it with a 7800GT 256MB and it runs well, as I said above. I didn't think the 7600GS would be that far behind in performance.

Puni/Void
17th May 2008, 18:28
@Harrison

I finally installed STALKER today to see how good it was and am so far very impressed. The outdoor graphics put Oblivion to shame. On my setup I have it running at 1280x1024 with detail on max with dynamic lighting and it runs very smoothly with no slowdown at all. The outdoor textures look great and there is no lose of detail at distance.

The game is also great fun so far and for me I think many elements show what was missing from HL2. Much more non linear too.

Finally got to try out STALKER and it was a good experience to say the least. Good gameplay, combined with atmospheric sounds and graphics, did the job.

Looking forward to explore this game in the near future. :thumbs:

@Ghost

Have you tried it out yet, Ghost?

Ghost
17th May 2008, 22:54
Hello P G,

Not yet, I still haven't got the computer to run the game properly but I am working on that, hopefully I will have a new PC soon. (guess I should ask you guys for a list of recommendations)

Anyway, I understand that the game does need a couple of patches to run balanced and that there are also some modifications that improve the gameplay.

Perhaps we should make a list of all recommended patches and modifications.

Harrison
19th May 2008, 12:42
I've only ever played the game as it comes without any modifications and it has worked perfectly. I did however install the official patches when I first installed it as I read some of the missions could get stuck. And so far I've not had any problems.

I've not got too far in the game yet though. I just played it a few times to explore how the game looked and played, but it is down on my list of games to revisit soon and complete.

Teho
19th May 2008, 17:50
It's definitely worth playing through. I went through it earlier this year, and though it can get both tedious and hard in places my overall impression is that this was one of the most memorable games I've played in a long while. The atmosphere in this is just about unmatched, the feeling of being in a desolate wasteland nowhere near the top of the foodchain will really get to you at times. Trust me, don't leave this game unplayed even though it has its small problems.