PDA

View Full Version : Who has preordered or is about to buy a PS4 or Xbox One

Harrison
19th November 2013, 15:00
With the PS4 now released has anyone purchased one already?

And have you preordered an Xbox One or intend buying on soon?

Personally I'm not so interested quite yet with these 2 new systems. I'm going to wait and see what happens and will probably buy them at some point next year, maybe in the summer once there are a few games available to play though, and also to make sure the initial teething issues are resolved; we have already seen a few owners of the new PS4 having video/audio issues (but only effecting 0.4% of buyers apparently).

Tiago
19th November 2013, 17:06
You already point it.
To soon to buy it. I will wait to see more games, more features.
And i am very curious to see what the pirate genius will do. I wonder how many time to break it...

Demon Cleaner
20th November 2013, 03:50
Same here, and anyway, it's not out in Europe yet.

I'm probably gonna do the same like with the "last" generation, gonna buy PS4 first, and perhaps at a later point also an XBox One. A friend here at work pre-ordered both consoles, which I think is a bit crazy, but he's quite into gaming. He already even sold his PS3, to have enough cash ready. For me it's not a cash problem, but I also think you should wait a bit, although sometimes it just overcomes me, and I go to the shop and just buy it. I also doubt that here in Luxembourg the consoles will be sold out straight away in the shops.

Might get it for Christmas, my girlfriend has a new job since 2 months at a Scandinavian bank (Nordea), so she started to work full days instead of only 20 hours a week, and she now makes over the double what she made before. Good for me ;) She already asked which one of the 2 consoles I would usually buy, is that a sign? :)

Tiago
20th November 2013, 08:16
Good for me She already asked which one of the 2 consoles I would usually buy, is that a sign?

Yes ! It is !! ;):D

Harrison
20th November 2013, 09:54
Lucy boy... a girlfriend with cash to spend and an interest in gaming. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Demon Cleaner
20th November 2013, 10:59
It's not that she has any interest in gaming! But you should buy your partner something HE actually likes ;)

Kin Hell
20th November 2013, 12:13
Not interested in either tbh. :shades:

Teho
20th November 2013, 17:47
So I'm the only bandwagon-jumper here? I have a PS4 on pre-order so checked the allready purchased one option. I was going to get one of them either way. Went with the PS4 because, heh, Microsoft. :rolleyes: They really put their foot in it this time around.

I've ended up always getting Sonys consoles because of platform familiarity, but I've realised long ago that this generation, for a guy that only gets one of the consoles the 360 was a better platform than the PS3. At least until PS+ came around which is a great deal. If I'd known what I know today I'd probably have chosen differently. So this time around I was open to both options, watched both reveals and E3 conferences and, heh, Microsoft. :no:

I'm getting a PS4.

zapiy
20th November 2013, 21:15
I aim to get a PS4 soon as i have the funds.. what with a new kitchen and xmas with 3 kids.. can not justify the costs.

Phantom
20th November 2013, 23:29
Funds isn't the problem, but I will wait. I'm still ok with PS3.

Harrison
20th November 2013, 23:43
..but I've realised long ago that this generation, for a guy that only gets one of the consoles the 360 was a better platform than the PS3. At least until PS+ came around which is a great deal. If I'd known what I know today I'd probably have chosen differently...

Really? What made you think that. For me owning a PS3 first, I eventually decided to buy a 360 only last year to play the few exclusives it had available so I hadn't missed out on them. I really don't like the 360 anywhere near as much as the PS3. Don't like the dashboard as much, or the game store.. although scrapping the points and putting real values on items is a huge improvement recently. But I still don't like the system as much. Maybe it was just because I am so used to and prefer the PS3.

But I must say I hated it when Sony completely redesigned the PS Store. Initially I really didn't get on with it, but they really seem to have continued work on it for the better, and although you can see a lot of 360 dashboard inspiration the PS3 store's interface is really nice to use these days. Anyway.. I digress. :lol:

I was a bit late getting into the current generation, buying a PS3 when the Slim was released. Mainly because I just wasn't too interested early on, and also because I had a ton of games on the PS2 and PC to play through. And not getting a 30 until the slim last year. I also hate paying release day prices for games, and buying a system late really provides you with a lot of cheap gaming.

@Teho. What games are you buying with the PS4? And are looking forward to?

Demon Cleaner
21st November 2013, 04:07
A bit same like Phantom with me, I still have over 200! games to play on my PS3, they are gently waiting on my disk to get launched, at least once :)

I also don't see the big difference yet from PS3 to PS4, I mean the change from PS2 to PS3 was huge, but now, games that are coming out now for the PS3 are still looking awesome, and there's many of them I still MUST play.

But I will definitely, like last time, go first with Sony's console, I'm also eager to see how, and how much they will integrate remote play, as I have the Vita lying there since 6 months, and it has barely been touched.

Kin Hell
21st November 2013, 10:24
Just buy a decent Gaming PeeCee & save urselves all the hassle. :lol:

Tiago
21st November 2013, 12:30
I still have over 200! games to play on my PS3
You :piarate5:
Long live to CFW...

Harrison
21st November 2013, 13:39

Kin puts on his favourite record! :) ;) :lol:

PC gaming is great, but..

For most of us though, we buy the consoles eventually to play the exclusives never released on the PC, plus you have the unique controller setups. I will eventually get an Xbox One for Fonza 5 and others, and whilst GT6 is coming on the PS3 and I will buy it, the next will be for the PS4 and so I will need one.

Then there are RPGs. We see a fair few on the PC, but nothing compared to the consoles.

And the Wii-U has finally seen its first must own title, the new Mario.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Phantom
21st November 2013, 15:13

You're lucky that I live hundreds of miles from you. Or else your gaming peecee.... you know... :lol:

Demon Cleaner
22nd November 2013, 04:05
A decent gaming PC is over double the price than a PS4. I want to lie down on my couch and play the games on my beamer, even in 3D, and I don't wanna sit in front of a small PC screen. I also don't want to carry the PC with mouse and keyboard, into the living room, to connect it to the beamer to play, that's inconvenient. PC is nice for playing strategy games, that's it (and of course for managing the console games :))

Teho
22nd November 2013, 06:15
..but I've realised long ago that this generation, for a guy that only gets one of the consoles the 360 was a better platform than the PS3. At least until PS+ came around which is a great deal. If I'd known what I know today I'd probably have chosen differently...

Really? What made you think that. For me owning a PS3 first, I eventually decided to buy a 360 only last year to play the few exclusives it had available so I hadn't missed out on them. I really don't like the 360 anywhere near as much as the PS3. Don't like the dashboard as much, or the game store.. although scrapping the points and putting real values on items is a huge improvement recently. But I still don't like the system as much. Maybe it was just because I am so used to and prefer the PS3.

But I must say I hated it when Sony completely redesigned the PS Store. Initially I really didn't get on with it, but they really seem to have continued work on it for the better, and although you can see a lot of 360 dashboard inspiration the PS3 store's interface is really nice to use these days. Anyway.. I digress. :lol:

I was a bit late getting into the current generation, buying a PS3 when the Slim was released. Mainly because I just wasn't too interested early on, and also because I had a ton of games on the PS2 and PC to play through. And not getting a 30 until the slim last year. I also hate paying release day prices for games, and buying a system late really provides you with a lot of cheap gaming.

@Teho. What games are you buying with the PS4? And are looking forward to?

Not saying the PS3 was a bad system, I've been very happy with it. The only reason I have for saying that the 360 would have been a better choice for a one-system owner is the cross-platform titles. They were always developed with the 360 as the lead platform so consistently performed better there. Both platforms have their exclusives, when buying only one you're going to miss out on the others. Doesn't really matter which way you go there. Haven't actually played around enough with a 360 enough to have an opinion on usability and such though, only know what I've read. And yeah, I've heard the UI is a cluttered mess these days. Also, did you know that those outside of english-speaking countries are forced to use a translated UI on the 360 now? Can't choose the language yourself. And the norwegian translation is said to be atrocious, which is no surprise. Norwegian isn't exaclty a major language, and translation work is often shoddy even in major and popular releases. Since most scandinavians know english reasonably well many people prefer to go without translation. I even turn off subtexts in movies because they're just distracting.

I can give some examples of norwegian translations in major works. Star Wars is pretty big, right? But when episode I was shown in theatres they managed to find the one guy who hadn't heard of a lightsabre. He translated light as in the opposite of a heavy sabre. Another popular example was in an episode of Friends. When two characters were talking about having makeup-sex, a lot of norwegian viewers were wondering what rouge and lipstick has to do with sex..

In videogames it's even worse. Nobody really cares, so most don't even have norwegian as an option if it isn't designed for kids. But some like the Uncharted games do. I had the subtext on just for the hell of it, and it was just stupidly bad. And not even in a fun way. At one point a character asks Drake to do something and he replies "I got it". The translated subtext would say "I'm holding/carrying it". Things like that. I saw a Half-Life 2 achievement recently that you get for killing five barnacles with one barrel. Obviously the game talks about one of the exploding barrels, but the translation uses the word for the barrel of a gun.

So don't force translations on people. Not a good way to make us happy. This was a recent development though, I think it was the last update to the dashboard that did this. Saw a lot of raging on norwegian boards around then.

Edit: Oh, PS4 games. I have two on pre-order: Infamous and Watch Dogs. And both have ended up not being launch titles. Infamous never was, but Watch Dogs was going to be and was delayed. I'll be downloading a couple of titles to start with. Interested in seeing how Driveclub is, that one has some potential. Good thing there's a free version to try for plus members. Also plus members get Resogun for free, which is by Housemarque who did Super Stardust HD. It's getting great reviews so am definitely getting that one. Need For Speed Rivals looks good, and the new Killzone is supposedly not too bad. I didn't like 2 and haven't played 3, but I've played Killzone Mercenary on the Vita and that's pretty good. So might be getting the PS4 game. I was also interested in seeing how Knack would turn out but it has generally gotten middling to negative reviews. Will probably try out if it turns up as a free game for plus members at some point. That's all I can think of at the moment, I know there's not that much interesting at release just like people say but there is enough there to hold me over till late releases start turning up. Besides, I've a huge backlog on Steam and on the PS3 so don't need to rely on the PS4 for all my gaming. ;)

Harrison
22nd November 2013, 08:36
I didn't know about the 360 forcing translation onto non English speaking countries. I'm guessing it was Microsoft's attempt to boost late game development and releases because translation costs a lot for developers and the 360 was flagging badly towards the end.

One thing the PS3 always had in it's favour was being able to play bluray. But I suppose that isn't as relevant now that streaming is taking off, although I can really tell the difference between tv and streamed hd compared to bd.

Regarding launch titles I was just looking at a list and regrettably isn't anything for the ps4 I would want that is exclusive. from the non exclusives maybe assassins creed 4.. But I wil probably get that on pc. The Xbox release day lineup actually is more interesting to me, with crimson dragon, dead rising 3, and Fonza 5.

Demon Cleaner
22nd November 2013, 10:19
Talking about XBox 360, I can not even chose Luxembourg as a country, it's not existing. I have to chose Germany and enter a fake address, which is stupid. The UI is then also in German, which I don't bother so much, it's just that I prefer English, and my girlfriend needs it to be in English. Apparently this doesn't still change for the XBox One. Someone should tell Microsoft that Luxembourg is actually an own country, and does NOT belong to Germany.

Btw Teho, Killzone 3 is pretty good.

Kin Hell
22nd November 2013, 10:49
:flame:

ROFL @ Kon$0le Krap! :p :D :lol:

Phantom
22nd November 2013, 15:33
:flame:

ROFL @ Kon$0le Krap! :p :D :lol:

:thwack: :p

Harrison
23rd November 2013, 10:28
@Kin. Except you are flaming PCs this time as both are basically PCs with custom OSs.

I know they are not the top end uber expensive cutting edge hardware you endorse, but if they were the consoles would be £2000+ and no one would buy them. So a balance to a price point, but obviously without the bloat of Windows they can push the actual hardware rather than doing everything though an API or abstraction layer. Will be interesting to see what they can achieve.

Kin Hell
24th November 2013, 02:54
@Kin. Except you are flaming PCs this time as both are basically PCs with custom OSs.

I know they are not the top end uber expensive cutting edge hardware you endorse, but if they were the consoles would be £2000+ and no one would buy them. So a balance to a price point, but obviously without the bloat of Windows they can push the actual hardware rather than doing everything though an API or abstraction layer. Will be interesting to see what they can achieve.

....Flame off:....

It's early & I'm having a crap nights sleep, so whilst sat here with a cup of redbush tea......

I dare you to see a rig like mine running battlefield 3 compared to xbox or ps3. There is simply NO comparison. - Xbox looks washed out & PS3 is another matter all together. You have heard this before & quoted me playing the same favourite record. - I would like to add that anyone wanting to be serious about their Gaming should consider their 3/400+ buck investment is just a waste of money. £1250 would give you an Intel/nVidia combo worthy of it's wallet damage & if it's just portability you want, then stick to a console. PeeCee's are equally @ home on any decent quality beamer/120Hz+ flat panel & you ain't hogging the big screen in your home if you have a decent PeeCee setup, whilst the family want to watch some Sky program/BluRay film or other.

Bottom line is this: - If you want to play a 3D shooter, consoles SUCK. If rpg is your thing, then get your joy pads out & frig your thumbs silly all u like if that is the extent of your gaming capabilities or comprehension of quality.

I agree that consoles do a fair job in terms of bang per buck, but it's not an experience I choose to endure & anyone serious about their quality of 3D shooting or any gaming even if platform or RPG on a PeeCee, will shun consoles in every instance. They all do there own short cuts & versions of slick animated hair/texture procedures, just like the coders did on the early Amiga's, leaving poor coded games non-runners on 68020 or faster. The exclusives you refer to are just botch jobs for the consoles & the worst botches are console releases that run like crap when ported over to the PeeCee. Call of Duty spun around into this world of vomit many releases ago. The latest incarnation of shite from COD called Ghosts, simply concretes this so much. I want to shoot people, not take control of a frickin dog ffs. Completely takes the pi$$ when COD was originally released on the PeeCee & there-after for several releases. The COD team realised that it was easier to cut corners on the coding & program short-cut crap for the masses on consoles. Pfft ffs! :mad:

If you want to play arcade type games on a console, they excel at it in their own pathetic ways & as I've always said, you need at least 75fps with VSYNC enabled to even try & constitute any kind of control & smoothness within the game. HDMI connections can only muster 60FPS in any instance. :eyebrow:

Watch out for the latest thing called GSYNC from nVidia/Asus. :rolleyes: We were there many years ago with high end CRT monitors & VSYNC. - Just another money spinner after screwing gamers on 60Hz crap flat panels for many years. - Tbh though, GSYNC does work in a slightly different manner to VSYNC & keeps things very smooth even if you drop to 50fps or lower. Pretty clever from what I've seen & understood of the technology. Go have a read. ;)

@ Phantom

When you come to visit me in the UK & you see my rig running, you really will appreciate where I'm coming from. :thumbs:

Phantom
26th November 2013, 15:08
Charlie, the first item that I will bring with me will be a flamethrower, and the first thing that I will burn will be your peecee.... :lol: (after that we can sit down and do Amiga stuff) ;)

DonAmiga
26th November 2013, 22:18
Well I can see me getting a xbox one sometime after they've ironed ouf any problems :)

Harrison
26th November 2013, 23:15
The Xbox One definitely seems to be having a lot more launch issues than the PS4. So far I've read about failed updates bricking them, random crashing and reboots, and the drives producing a grinding sound when discs are inserted and not being able to read discs. With the PS4 there appears to be one faulty batch causing hdmi video and/or audio issues, but that is all.

At least Microsoft have been quick to offer repairs or complete replacements fro faulting units, and giving a free game to compensate and apologize.

DonAmiga
27th November 2013, 08:17
Here's an unofficial quick fix for that X-One grinding drive " Remember Unofficial " :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDoDqTaIwIc

Here's on for Kin :) and everyone one to ;) Steam box prototype!
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-machine-prototype-from-ibuypower-for-revealed-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps/1100-6416393/

Kin Hell
28th November 2013, 15:53
Charlie, the first item that I will bring with me will be a flamethrower, and the first thing that I will burn will be your peecee.... :lol: (after that we can sit down and do Amiga stuff) ;)

Totally PMSL!!!! :lol:

DonAmiga
29th November 2013, 08:57
Well I was in town yesterday and they had some day one x-box's in game which was a pack with e tra game 3 blu ray movie and starter pack! Had a chat with the guy asked how many the shop had sold which was 450 units out of that 7 uints was returned which they had stock to replace them. I decided I would chance it and got one ;) So far working ok nice and quiet, the only thing that pi$$ed me off is that I got forza 5 hard copy which I thought I could just pop it in and play! But no download patch first :mad: and when you've only got 2mb download its a pain so was like 30mins or more as I just watched some tv! before it was ready to start playing and it hadn't even finish once I turned it off :thumbsdown2: You can imagine all those households that got one laid away for xmas and it will be constant updates and downloads just hope they're happy playing with the box :)

Kin Hell
29th November 2013, 18:59
OMG! - Being a Multi-Drop Driver for Interlink atm, I lost count of the PS4's I delivered on my round today. Everyone was beaming that "TFI Friday affair" & most people had the day off work to be in for the delivery. I dare say there are going to be some seriously sore thumbs here in the UK by bed-time tonight! :lol: