PDA

View Full Version : New Shadow of the Beast announced

Ghost
25th August 2013, 17:51
Hey everyone,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x28VDZDKXHw

I have been waiting for someone to announce this on the forum as I discovered it rather late myself (someone brought it to my attention on Youtube) as I thought it would probably be quickly noticed.

A new Shadow of the Beast game has been announced to be in development for the Playstation 4.

It has been more than twenty years since the last title in the series was released on the Amiga, and while the first game was converted to various consoles it never seemed such a big hit as it suffered some of the flaws the original Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga had such as the poor collision detection.

The new game is a bit of a curiosity because other than the name and that it features the Beast Messenger and various mutants and monsters, shares little in common with the style of the original series so far such as the landscape, architecture and so on.

This game will probably be a reboot of the franchise and like others I think it will be more like God of War and Ryse but perhaps we will be surprised.

I feel this question coming up as in the past I have shown my discontent with other reboots of franchises and sequels to series that strayed away from the original gameplay such as Fallout (heh the discussion I had with Dave about Fallout 3); how do I feel about the reboot?

Well while I liked the original games and have reviewed SOTB1 and SOTB3 in the past for this site, it doesn't mean that I am a die hard fan of the franchise.
The combination of fantasy and science fiction was very appealing and I think it still is but it's not that the setting was that heavily developed.

Reflection did not make a 'bible' on the Beast series and its setting and I don't think there were ever any set ideas that the series should stick to.
The first game after all even felt like a technical demonstration of the Amiga 500 capabilities and not the start for a long and deep series.

So I it is not that I am mourning the changes like I did with Fallout, of course imo the new game would better set itself apart from its competitors by actually sticking to the old style of medieval, fantasy, science fiction, early 20th Century, and the total alien, but if the developers want to go this way with it I will not complain loudly.
I will feel that it is just another generic action game that will be forgotten once the hype of its name and visuals have worn off. (some people were even confused by the title, thinking the game would be a sequel to Shadow of the Colossus)

Personally I think Publishers and Developers should stop milking out the past of gaming and try to make some new damn IPs.

Harrison
26th August 2013, 00:21
I think it's great news. Lately there have been quite a few resurrections of old 16 bit franchise. Sadly most have just been purely remakes on mobile platforms, so it's great that a few are actual new games building on the ideas of the past.

The original 2 SOTB games were really just showcase demos in game form, to show off just what the Amiga could do. They looked and sounded great, but their gameplay was a little shallow. The third game was the one I really enjoyed as it added some great puzzle elements to the platforming and style of the first 2. I hope the new game builds on all of the original ideas and gameplay. Looking forward to this.

BTW, isn't this also going to be on PC?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ghost
26th August 2013, 01:35
Hi Dave,

Regarding your question, no, apparently this is a PS4 exclusive.
Probably got to do with Sony owning all of the old Psygnosis IPs.

As for how this reboot will turn out, we'll see.

Demon Cleaner
28th August 2013, 01:05
Looks quite nice.

Flashback also gets a remake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9tjQLdVN2A

Harrison
28th August 2013, 09:14
Flashback was one of my favourite Amiga games and this remake looks really nice.

There is also an official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsL1E4zSNrA

Kin Hell
30th August 2013, 19:06
Yeah H. I was an avid Flashback fan too & you're dead right, it does look rather good, but then would it be the same playing it now? :hmmm:

Demon Cleaner
31st August 2013, 09:08
but then would it be the same playing it now? :hmmm:
That's a good point, as there's many similar indie games existing in a flashbackish style. Btw, did anyone try Mark of the Ninja or Deadlight yet? I think both are great.

Ghost
31st August 2013, 13:11
I really should check those games out in the future.

Harrison
1st September 2013, 02:10
Mark of the Ninja is a great game. Well worth playing.

I have also owned Deadlight since release, but not played it yet.

Phantom
7th September 2013, 17:17
I never took seriously any Official Trailer from any game or even movie. But with todays technology, every game seems brilliant with marvellous graphics and crystal and clear DR sound, but what about gameplay, which is the most critical element for any game? Don't call me wrong, but the remake of SuperFrog HD was really bad.

Also it seems that most developers seem to run out of unique ideas, and they trying to remake old goldie games from the past; it's like music, most songs nowadays are remakes or remixes whatever of old nice songs. :thumbsdown2:

As for Flashback, which is still one of my favourite platform game, the Amiga version has still the best character-animation from any other game, I really doubt that the new remake (or any remake) will make my jaw touch the floor now, as before one or two decades.

Demon Cleaner
7th September 2013, 18:02
Just try Mark of the Ninja ;)

Phantom
7th September 2013, 18:33
If they can achieve it with a plain A500 with 1MB RAM, then probably will do. ;)

Kin Hell
9th September 2013, 14:43
I never took seriously any Official Trailer from any game or even movie. But with todays technology, every game seems brilliant with marvellous graphics and crystal and clear DR sound, but what about gameplay, which is the most critical element for any game? Don't call me wrong, but the remake of SuperFrog HD was really bad.

Also it seems that most developers seem to run out of unique ideas, and they trying to remake old goldie games from the past; it's like music, most songs nowadays are remakes or remixes whatever of old nice songs. :thumbsdown2:

As for Flashback, which is still one of my favourite platform game, the Amiga version has still the best character-animation from any other game, I really doubt that the new remake (or any remake) will make my jaw touch the floor now, as before one or two decades.

Yes Phantom, I understand exactly what you mean, particularly the animation of the character. It's the same as trying to play Pinball Fantasies on WinUAE.

It just doesn't scroll smoothly at all. :eyebrow:

Only Amiga makes it possible. :thumbs: :lol: :D :hug:

Phantom
9th September 2013, 14:48
Only Amiga makes it possible. :thumbs: :lol: :D :hug:

Amen... :BottomsUp:

Harrison
9th September 2013, 16:34
It is very true that you just can't emulate some things that were originally only made possible through hardware design.

Parallex scrolling on the Amiga, and most other 2D sprite based 16-bit systems of the time don't quite look right emulated either.

And look at multitasking.. no OS can still achieve pre-emptive multitasking in such a smooth way with minimal resource use. And I still don't think I've ever seen anything else that can stack screens of different resolutions multitasking behind each other. It is such a shame we will probably never see a true implementation of Amiga multi tasking on a multicore CPU environment.

BTW, what was the Amiga game that managed to utilise the screens in different resolutions and managed to create a split screen with a different resolution top and bottom?

Today's coders really don't have the skills or push hardware anything like our beloved Amiga was, and still is in the Demoscene.

Demon Cleaner
9th September 2013, 20:55
The Flashback remake got btw quite bad reviews on IGN.

Harrison
9th September 2013, 22:11
Many reviews are panning it because they are approaching the reviews in completely the wrong way. I've yet to play it myself, but have enough credit in my Xbox account so might get it soon.

Demon Cleaner
10th September 2013, 04:51
Didn't know you have an 360?

Harrison
10th September 2013, 11:46
Yeah, for quite some time now. Bought a 250GB slim to play the few exclusives (especially Forza 4) that I couldn't get on any other platform.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Harrison
21st October 2022, 09:33
Resurrecting a very old topic. Did anyone ever play this new Shadow of the Beast on PS4?

It was included free with PS Now (now called PS Plus Extra) and I tried it out some time ago now. And I'm so glad I never purchased it. I gave up fairly quickly because the controls were some of the more awkward I've ever used in a platform game. Just felt like you were fighting them, rather then the game. Shame as SOTB3 is still one of my favourite platformer on the Amiga and I really hope this would build on that.

As for the Flashback remake mentioned here also, that remake was actually really good. Never played it right though though. I got through the first few levels to where you start having to take jobs, but never continued. It has that nice feature where you can switch between classic and modern graphics.

The other that did that was the Another World remake. That was a very nice release and a game I had forgotten how hard and unforgiving it was. I remember when originally playing it I played through it quite fast. With the remake I was even finding it hard to get past the first monster! :lol:

Demon Cleaner
21st October 2022, 12:39
Resurrecting a very old topic. Did anyone ever play this new Shadow of the Beast on PS4?
I played it through, I think it was quite ok, but nothing more.

I also made platinum in Another World on the PS4.

Harrison
21st October 2022, 13:15
I need to run through Another World to get the Plarinum. I've never bothered trying to earn them and one have 1 on my account. But with the new PS Stars I might try to earn some more.

Demon Cleaner
22nd October 2022, 23:12
Another World is quite easy platinum, when you finish the game, any trophy you missed, you can go back as you can just select chapters.

Harrison
22nd October 2022, 23:43
Great. I will have a play through it when I get time this coming week as I'm off work.