PDA

View Full Version : Web Design Removing Google ads

Stephen Coates
1st April 2007, 10:37
This is a static page from PHP-Nuke:
http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver.php

It has Google ads on it.

Does anyone know how to remove them? I have looked at the sheepshaver.php file as well as just about every other php file that Nuke created and I can not find the code for the Google ads anywhere to remove them.

Thanks

Harrison
2nd April 2007, 16:02
Well, the code generating the google ads on that page is about halfway down the page and start with the javascript code that includes the google_ad_client id code.
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-5098820216071248";

PHP-Nuke is a content management system (CMS) much like Joomla (but nowhere near as good), so it is probably using a module to include the Google Ads on the page. You need to log into the administrators backend of the php-nuke install and look through the installed modules and either disable or uninstall the one generating the google ads. BTW, who's google account is the advert revenue going to?

Slightly unrelated, but how old is the version of php-nuke being used on that site? I noticed it has a copyright of 2002! but the latest release was last year and version 8.0 which has a lot of security improvements. I would highly recommend considering upgrading to a newer version of php-nuke due to the number of bad security problems with that software.

Stephen Coates
2nd April 2007, 18:19
I think the money is going to the site's owner, ClockWise. He told me to remove them.

I'm not sure about logging into the control panel as I'm not sure if it exists any more. The site was in PHP-Nuke a while back, then they got rid of it to replace the news page with WordPress, and left all of Nuke's static pages. I managed to remove the ads from WordPress quite easily.

Harrison
2nd April 2007, 23:32
If they just deleted half of the PHP-Nuke install then there is not much you can do other than to remake the pages in Wordpress, or whatever you are now using. I don't personally understand why someone would be using a CMS and just bodge the move to a different CMS in such a way. Must have been some really crap people running that site originally is all I can think.

If you really cannot get into the admin backend of php-nuke then the only other option would be to try and hack the database and find where the html image code is being stored in the tables and edit the entries manually. There is the danger that you could mess up a table or the whole database and render the whole site dead.

To me it seems that the site has been completely buggered up and needs to be started again!