PDA

View Full Version : [3DS] - Gateway 3DS

Demon Cleaner
10th June 2013, 15:59
Apparently there's a dongle now out for the 3DS called Gateway 3DS, as the 3DS has been hacked.

http://www.modchipsdirect.com/gateway-3ds.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=uW3LxuDvHeI )

Don't have one yet, was never interested. Bought a DSi for my girlfriend 2 years ago, using a DS TWO dongle, which works pretty well, but she used it twice during that time, like me too. Perhaps I could sell it, and get a 3DS instead. I tested the DS TWO dongle on a 3DS, and that also works just fine.

EDIT: I just now bought a 3DS, a white one, looks really cool, and it was only 150€ on Amazon (brand new). I know that there's a guy here at work who desperately wants a DSi with all the games, and as my DSi is almost new, and I own the whole set of almost 7.000 games, and plus he's a super moron, I'm gonna sell him the DSi with the games for the same price.

Harrison
11th June 2013, 02:41
The only thing. With all flash carts they will work on the 3DS with DS games, but not 3DS specific games... unless something has changed recently to allow it.

The gateway 3ds is interesting if it does remove that limitation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Buleste
11th June 2013, 09:34
Gateway does apparently play 3DS games but hasn't managed to get over the region lock so if you have an EU 3DS you can only play EU ROMs etc. The other thing that people are not sure of yet is it's ability to have more than one ROM on the SD card which means you could have lots of small cards to loose.

As a side note SNES and GBA emulation has recently been improved on the SCDS2 and they now run at very good speeds.

Harrison
11th June 2013, 12:29
I've not actually used my DS in a long time now that Android gaming and emulation is so good. Is there really a need for dedicated handhelds any more?

Still, it is fascinating when hackers achieve things on any device. Normally gets me using them again.

Demon Cleaner
11th June 2013, 20:28
Still, it is fascinating when hackers achieve things on any device. Normally gets me using them again.
Exactly :)

Don't know about region lock, here's what it says:

The Gateway 3DS is currently designed to work with up to 5.1.0-11 firmware. The letter at the end is just the region (u, e, a, j, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Seems you were right, here's what I found:

The Striking Features

- Supports all 3DS ROMs to date
- Works on 3DS & 3DS XL consoles
- Free Region Locked

Gateway 3DSFlashcart FAQ

Q1 : Is it one microSD per game?

A : Currently yes.

Q2 : Must the microSD card size match the game size?

A : No, so long as the microSD card is larger than the rom size.

Q3 : Can it play games from other regions?

A : Currently no, however due to popular demand, we have launched an investigation into this possibility.

Q4 : Can it play Homebrew?

A : No.

Q5 : Are saved games working? Once you take out the game is the save file kept or lost?

A : We are currently working to fully support back up and restore of save data.

Q6 :- Can Nintendo block Gateway with an update?

A : Anything is possible we would rather not speculate (As always, any system updates should be avoided)

Q7 : How big are the games and what is the minimum size for the microSD card?

A : Some range from 256MB to 4GB

Q8 : Can you play multiplayer local and mostly online?

A : Yes, but we advise not to use online features

Q9 : Do the game keep internet capacity?

A : Yes, but we advise not to use online features

Q10 : Is it upgradable?

A : Yes some aspects of the design will be upgradable.

Q11 : Can it run normal DS roms?

A : No, there are many alternative options for this.

Q12 : Suggested Retail price?

A : About $80/€65

Q13 : When will this product available ?

A : Availability: End of June. BUT until production has started, we are not accepting any pre-payment, therefore end-users should NOT pay until we indicate on our site that pre orders are officially open and payments from resellers are being accepted. PLEASE DO NOT PRE-PAY UNTILL WE SAY SO ! and you can buy gateway 3ds from here : buy gateway 3ds

Harrison
11th June 2013, 21:28
I think it's worth waiting before buying this. It's current status seems very beta like, and more a proof of concept than a fully developed product.

Now they have proved it is possible to run 3ds games from a Rom cartridge/memory card, it needs to offer fuller support, such as multiple games, game save management.

They should look at the developer of the Everdrive cartridges to see how to really do this properly. I can only imagine what he could create for more recent hardware. Maybe in a few years time when the 3ds is no longer current he might make an Everdrive for it.

Demon Cleaner
12th June 2013, 11:54
Guess the next 6 months will show what will happen, anyway, not planning to buy the Gateway, like you said, it's still too early, and it's way too pricy for what it can actually do at the moment. Updates would be welcome.

Buleste
22nd June 2013, 10:31
Gateway 3DS has been blocked by the latest 3DS firmware update. They are trying to fix the problem but it may take time.

Harrison
22nd June 2013, 15:28
It was bound to happen. Manufacturers are getting faster at patching their firmware these days. Although Nintendo couldn't combat it with the Wii. Look at how quickly Sony got with the PS3 and PSP too. Although where the PSP was concerned new CFW was released less than a day after any OFW came out.

Demon Cleaner
24th June 2013, 17:21
Although where the PSP was concerned new CFW was released less than a day after any OFW came out.
It's happening quite similar with the PS3 nowadays, shortly after 4.41 was released, you got a 4.41 CFW from f.ex. Rogero.

Harrison
24th June 2013, 23:01
Ive not been keeping up with PS3 CFW, so now you can get up to date CFW for the PS3 and you don't have to stick at 3.55?

Demon Cleaner
24th June 2013, 23:42
Since long time already, I'm running Rogero 4.40 v3 and everything so far is working fine, without patching. Lately I played Remember Me, Grid 2 and also now The Last Of Us. You can even update your console with a lower OFW to one of these through the recovery mode.

amigagamer
20th August 2013, 14:55
Gateway 3DS has been blocked by the latest 3DS firmware update. They are trying to fix the problem but it may take time.

I have mine now, and it works just as advertised. But you're right, it was blocked by the latest update. The key is not to update until they have a new firmware available for the gateway 3ds. And from what I read on their website, they have region free testing going on, as well as spoofing of firmware too, so it looks like they are on their way.

I'm just looking forward to having some really good emulators for the 3ds to be honest, and they've said they are working on running homebrew.

2mimi
17th December 2013, 09:49
i want to get a gateway 3DS, but why it is so expensive?
checked other similar flash card, much cheaper, why ?

Buleste
17th December 2013, 10:00
The Gateway is so expensive because it is actually 2 cards and as it is the first 3DS flashcart it is groundbreaking. There are clones that have come out but they do not have the same development as the Gateway. Products like the R4i Gold 3DS are just copying what has been done on Gateway whereas Gateway are actually trying to bring new features such as being able to play Pokemon X and Y and the ability to have more than one game at a time on your sd card.

If you want to support the development of 3DS flashcarts then you get a Gateway.

Harrison
17th December 2013, 12:40
So you can put multiple games in the memory card with the Gateway?

Now that the 3DS is starting to fall in price I'm tempted to get the XL version and a Gateway our similar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Demon Cleaner
18th December 2013, 06:31
That would also be my question, as it wasn't possible before. Would check now for myself, but these sites are blocked from here (at work).

- - - Updated - - -

Supposedly the Gateway's new firmware v2.0 is allowing multiple games on one single micro SD card, but I cannot find any confirmation about it from here.

Buleste
18th December 2013, 10:29
GBATemp always carries a lot of info on the Gateway. But as you said DemonCleaner v2.0 firmware which is still being developed offers more than one game per SD card as well as NAND emulation (so there is no need to flash your 3DS). It's still in it's early stages but is looking very promising.

Harrison
18th December 2013, 10:35
That does sound interesting. I hadn't realized you had to flash your 3DS at the moment. Think I will wait till this is available and then consider buying one.

Demon Cleaner
18th December 2013, 14:22
Here's what they mentioned:

FAT32 (drag and drop) based multirom support are now close to completion and entering into our internal beta testing

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered one now at teensy.co.uk for 63£, wanna try it out ;)

Harrison
19th December 2013, 02:42
Nice. Can't wait to here how you get on with it.

Demon Cleaner
19th December 2013, 04:43
The only problem is, that I don't want to flash my brand new 3DS, so probably I will wait until there's another possibility, or just get an older used 3DS from the bay, perhaps a XL, have to check how prices are at the moment.

EDIT: They still sell for quite expensive, rather buy a new one. On eBay I found one XL which might be interesting, but unfortunately it only ships to the UK, so might be interesting for you Harrison, you can find it here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-3DS-XL-Latest-Model-Black-Silver-Handheld-System-PAL-/271350409994?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3f2dbeab0a), a brand new one for 98.99£, by far the cheapest I found. At Amazon they're sold for 150£.

Buleste
19th December 2013, 09:48
To use your Gateway you need a 3DS with firmware of 4.50 or less. then you use the emuNAND feature of the Gateway to emulate the later firmware for maximum retail game compatibility. So I was wrong about you needing to flash the 3DS, my bad.

Harrison
19th December 2013, 10:24
So would you be unable to use it if you have newer firmware? Or can you degrade it?

Demon Cleaner
19th December 2013, 10:29
I thought v2 would work with newer OFWs of the 3DS?

2mimi
20th December 2013, 09:07

Now that the 3DS is starting to fall in price I'm tempted to get the XL version and a Gateway our similar.

Gateway team news said that "multirom support are now close to completion",
i think it can't support multiple games in one memory card currently,
but will come true in near future.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what they mentioned:

FAT32 (drag and drop) based multirom support are now close to completion and entering into our internal beta testing

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered one now at teensy.co.uk for 63£, wanna try it out ;)

I have to say it is really a little expensive, that is why struggle with it.
And want to order from oversea directly, maybe BestR4i3DS.com ,about 45£,

Another, the copies, such as R4i Gold Deluxe shows they will release emuNAND V7.0 ,
and says multiROM feature will come soon before Xmas in firmware V3.1.
The price is only a half of Gateway, too much temptation.

Buleste
20th December 2013, 09:27
I thought v2 would work with newer OFWs of the 3DS?

Nope stuck at 4.5 fw with emulation for later firmwares and you cannot downgrade firmwares with Nintendo either.

Demon Cleaner
20th December 2013, 10:08
As far as I know, the soon upcoming 2.02 for Gateway will have emuNAND V7.0.

Buleste
21st December 2013, 09:29
2.01b has emuNAND 7.0 but your 3DS fw cannot be above 4.5 as your Gateway or any other 3DS flashcart will not run above fw 4.5.

zapiy
6th January 2014, 22:36
I got a 3DS XL for xmas so i will wait and see how this goes..

Demon Cleaner
17th August 2014, 21:51
It seems that they did finally decrypt 7.x and 8.x firmwares and will release a launcher soon. Great news.

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/category/news/

zapiy
18th August 2014, 09:31
Very interesting developments.

Harrison
18th August 2014, 10:20
I had all but given up on 3DS support for flash carts, so this is great to see someone still working on it.

zapiy
19th August 2014, 12:32
Agreed..