PDA

View Full Version : Updates to main site go live!

Harrison
29th March 2007, 16:00
After spending the past couple of days working on a completely new look for the main site I am pleased to announce that it is now live and working.

I still have much to do to completely finish this new design, but it is finished as far and being up and running..

The biggest and most obvious change is the new design. The fixed width of the site is now wider to allow more freedom to create content without quite the width restrictions imposed by the old design. There are also many more locations within the site template to position content which will hopefully make the site feel less cluttered and busy.

Also incorporated into this new design is a new menu system where I have split the various areas of the site down into smaller sections for easier navigation. These use a new menu system across the top of the page with the main sections split and selectable via large section buttons. The design of these buttons is still being worked on so expect to see some Amiga themed buttons replacing the current images very soon.

Once within a section the areas of that section are then shown under the main section buttons, and if there are a series of areas within one of these they will be shown in there own menu on the left of the page. This allows for a much cleaner navigation system that is less cluttered and easier to see the options available within the current section of the site.

I hope you all like the new look. As I said, this isn't completely finished yet so there will be some bits looking wrong at the moment on some pages, or areas of sections may currently be missing or in the wrong place on the page. These are being worked on and will all be fixed within the next couple of days.

Demon Cleaner
29th March 2007, 16:10
I see, I see. It looks indeed very different. Have to get used with it first, it also looks a lot brigther than before.

AlexJ
29th March 2007, 19:07
Yeah looks good and a lot less Joomla-ish. As soon as the generic aspects of the buttons etc. are removed, it'll be really good I think.

J T
29th March 2007, 22:15
Ace! That looks good. As you all know, I was never a fan of the fixed width as I found it too narrow and squished the content up.

Are the big buttons at the top final designs? I'm guessing probably not. Would be good to have f.ex a pic of like a zipstik or something really Amiga ganes-y for that button

Harrison
29th March 2007, 22:17
Yes, the generic buttons are only a temporary measure while I got the new design fully working. Now that is done I will be tweaking the design and adding some proper Amiga themed buttons, as well as a few other minor adjustments to the design.

AlexJ
30th March 2007, 00:05
Quite a few of the links on the 'second tier menu' of Amiga are broken (e.g. FAQ's and Tutorials). Also the quotation images on the Demo Scene main page look wrong.

Would be good to have f.ex a pic of like a zipstik or something really Amiga ganes-y for that button

I reckon a Comp. Pro would go more in with the site design (Red instead of yellow), a quick mock-up:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7578/cacomprovl2.png

Submeg
30th March 2007, 00:16
Sweet! Looking excellent! Looks a lot less cluttered. Also I like AlexJ's idea that it should be the joystick...looks good!

Harrison
30th March 2007, 00:23
Yep, a joystick was the intention and I agree, the red and black comp pro does work really well.

I'm also still going through the site changing the settings on everything since it was all relinked to the new design, so many things will currently not be working quite as expected.

Demon Cleaner
30th March 2007, 00:57
The joystick looks just like it's made to stick there :thumbs: