PDA

View Full Version : Universal modchip Infectus

Demon Cleaner
27th March 2007, 20:48
The first universal modchip of the world is called Infectus. It already runs as full-value Globe 360 replacement DVD drive firmware addon chip. The Infectus team is currently working on it, to make the chip PS3 firmware addon compatible, which could work with the exploit to write to the chip, and boot from there. The O-2 chip team gave their O-2 code at disposal, to make the Infectus chip PS2 compatible. As small bonus, they will also integrate Wii compability, but the team is relatively sure, that it will not be used for the Wii, due to its oversize. The chip has a 512kB flash memory and is programmed via USB. No known features yet, very basic information.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/classicamiga/infectus1m.jpg

Harrison
27th March 2007, 21:00
That is quite mad to build a single universal mod chip that will work with all platforms. A cool achievement but I don't really see the point as you can only solder it into one system at a time and if you owned more than one system you would still need to buy multiple mod chips.

Demon Cleaner
27th March 2007, 21:24
as you can only solder it into one system at a time and if you owned more than one system you would still need to buy multiple mod chips.Ha, I thought the same, that's very true, it's a bit of nonsense. Perhaps they can then manufacture the chip for lower costs, so that the chip itself will only cost a third of a normal modchip.

Harrison
27th March 2007, 23:03
I suppose it is true that having a single universal chip that can be used to mod any console does simplify things a lot for the purchaser. It would mean they don't need to worry which chip they need to buy as they can just buy the same one each time for all systems.

Now wouldn't it be nice with the developers thought like this and just worked together on the ultimate console and then everyone could just write games and they would work on everyone's consoles! A true consumer gaming system. But if that were to happen what would all the teenage American kids have to argue about all day! :lol:

Submeg
28th March 2007, 01:44
Now wouldn't it be nice with the developers thought like this and just worked together on the ultimate console and then everyone could just write games and they would work on everyone's consoles! A true consumer gaming system. But if that were to happen what would all the teenage American kids have to argue about all day! :lol:

WOA! You know, I never thought of this! It would be so cool! If Nintendo, Sony and M$ all joined forces to produce one gaming console. It would be called: The Ultimate.

Nintendo, being the masters of creativity, would bring fully incorporated 3D virtual reality. Yes, all the objects in the environment would be blocky, and the people wouldn't have arms, but hey, who cares?! You would be able to play all games on a treadmill, a little larger than a small circular trampoline, and you would be able to run in any direction.

M$ would bring the power. The ability to incoporate Multicore CPU units into the machine would allow it to run extremely long and tedious codes. Also, its extremely lazy programmers would of course botch up the first release, so that any 15 yr. old could reverse program it to allow it to play downloadable ISOs. Then of course, a 1PB drive would be installed so that every game every released could be played....this is where an excellent file manager (such as DOpus) would be extremely useful.

And last but not least, Sony would allow.......Sony would allow......

Oh yea, Sony would allow extremely high prices. And a "worldwide" realease of Japan.

Then America.

Then Europe.

Then if we are lucky......the rest.....no wait......

The rest, na tricked ya.....

The rest of the world. This would then be follwed by mass gang riots as everyone decided to buy guns instead to hold up anyone that had one, and a similar storyline to any GTA game would ensue.

And thus concludes the story of, The Ultimate.

Harrison
28th March 2007, 10:23
I get the hint you are not completely devoted to Sony? :unsure: :lol:

Personally I'm more for Sony than I am for M$. Sony were the first to market with the idea for the multi core processor, with the Cell in the PS3. M$ just came along and stole the idea and stuck a 3 core CPU in the 360.

That treadmill moving in any direction and virtual reality, combined with the power to process huge amount of data is leading towards the obvious. Soon we will all have a console in our homes called "The Holodeck"

Submeg
28th March 2007, 12:32
No, Im devoted to Sony...well devoted to MGS, so where that goes, so will I...Yea I'm waiting for full VR, it will be so cool....

Harrison
28th March 2007, 12:40
Imagine the possibilities. MMO's in holospace!

That could be quite a scary idea though. I imagine many of the devoted MMO players (WoW especially) spend many hours a day at their computers without any exercise. Imagine them really appearing "as is" in a virtual world! *shudders" Would be like a world populated by Gamorrean Guards!

Submeg
28th March 2007, 12:43
Lol, but then you would actually have to walk, and fight in battles....would make you pretty fit.

Harrison
28th March 2007, 12:46
I did think of that when I posted the above comments. I could imagine the news "MMO players drop dead from sudden exercise shock!"

Submeg
28th March 2007, 12:49
Lol, heart attack at the age of 25...

Demon Cleaner
28th March 2007, 13:50
Nintendo, being the masters of creativityThat's your point of view perhaps.

Harrison
28th March 2007, 14:06
One day it might happen DC. You might actually be shocked at the enjoyment Nintendo games can deliver. Well I did say might. :lol:

Demon Cleaner
28th March 2007, 14:16
When I see them playing on the Wii on TV, and always complaining about the Wiimote (or what is that thing called?), that most of the games are simply unplayable with it, I cannot see the "creativity".

They released now SSX Blur (or something like that), and they tested it on 2 TV shows, but it seemed impossible to play with the remote. Even racing games, where you take your remote like a wheel, are just unplayable.

The only games that are really playable, are the +2 years games, which I can get by easily. And shooting with toilet brushes at silly rabbits may perhaps be funny for 10 minutes, if even.

Wiisports may also be funny, if you never played Virtua Tennis, Tiger Woods PGA Tour or Fight Night, else --> down the drain.

"Diimon Cliiner" ;)

Harrison
28th March 2007, 14:40
Oh I agree with you regarding the Wii, I hate the control system as it just doesn't lend itself to any game genre other than the limited few Nintendo included with the system at launch. I much prefer the accuracy of a proper controller over the Wii remote any day.

For creativity I was referring more to Nintendo's ability to design games over the years. And as you mentioned these are the +2 year old games.

Demon Cleaner
28th March 2007, 16:27
And as you mentioned these are the +2 year old games.I meant +2 in age (age above 2 years old ;)).

J T
28th March 2007, 16:56
You guys NEED to check out excite truck, and not just the early simple levels. The control system for that works pretty damn well and is heaps of fun.

Aiming the bow and arrow while riding the horse in Zelda is marvellously intuitive.

Wiisports is incredibly simple yet fun. I haven't had anyone fail to enjoy the tennis and bowling (even my mum played for a bit).

I'm not saying the control system is suited for every game (it's not) but it is a lot better than you imagine.

Harrison
28th March 2007, 18:22
And as you mentioned these are the +2 year old games.I meant +2 in age (age above 2 years old ;)).

Oh right! So what you are basically saying is that you can only grasp games aimed at the 2+ age group? :lol:

Demon Cleaner
28th March 2007, 18:33
What I'm saying is that most games that are released on the Wii that make good use of the remote, are 2+ games.

Harrison
28th March 2007, 18:43
;) Just joking with you mate. I knew what you meant and I do agree. All games I have seen for the Wii that have been designed specifically for the Wii remote method of control could be picked up and played by a toddler (with maybe Zelda being the one true exception).

You guys NEED to check out excite truck, and not just the early simple levels. The control system for that works pretty damn well and is heaps of fun.

Excite Truck? Have you seen MotorStorm on the PS3?

Demon Cleaner
28th March 2007, 18:45
Excite Truck? Have you seen MotorStorm on the PS3?Bullseye!!!

Submeg
28th March 2007, 21:27
Excite Truck, Motorstorm...its all the same :lol:

J T
29th March 2007, 20:01
Yeh I seen pics of it. Looks good, nice graphics, high def yadda yadda

*yawn*

Teho
29th March 2007, 20:49
I have to agree. To me, Motorstorm is a plain average game. It's enjoyable enough, but not much to get all excited about. There's huge tracks and lots of detail, and yes there's some gameplay. It's not bad, but you've seen it all before. It sure do look sweet though.

Demon Cleaner
29th March 2007, 21:03
I'm the same opinion as Teho. The game really looks good, but is it really something different than Flatout 2 or Eve of Destruction, no. It's a game to make a copy of, and not for buying :nogood:

Harrison
29th March 2007, 21:13
I also agree with you both. I was just point out the Excite Truck is a poor second to MotorStorm as both are very similar in idea. Maybe the Wii control system does give it a unique aspect, but for racing games I much prefer a decent PS2/3 controller.

J T
29th March 2007, 21:19
Have you played excite truck? I've not played motorstorm so can't offer an objective comparison, but ET is one hell of a fun game, the graphics aren't very good but then we all knew that already.

Demon Cleaner
29th March 2007, 22:08
the graphics aren't very goodThey're not bad either.

Submeg
29th March 2007, 23:24
But why is it so good????

Demon Cleaner
2nd April 2007, 13:43
The Infectus crew now managed it (as 1st modchip team), to read the 360 kernel. Following video shows how the NAND flash of the 360 is read over an Infectus modchip, and shown in a hex editor,

YouTube video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjCv8307FCY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egamefreax%2Ede%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fgamefreax%2Fsite%2Epl%3Flang%3Dde%26page%3Dnews)

Harrison
2nd April 2007, 15:05
Cool. I may purchase a 360 soon then with this progress! ;)