PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Harrison
27th March 2007, 16:11
I've just played the new TMNT game on the PS2 quickly to see what it was like and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I used to like the original TMNT arcade game from years ago with the traditional side scrolling multi player beat em up format, but I'm glad they didn't just update the old format and have instead gone for a completely new style for this game.

It uses a 3D platform beat em up style with the camera automatically sweeping around as you progress through the platform based levels. So of you like action style games you should like this. Think Tomb Raider, but more "on-rails" in a pandemonium way.

The graphics are very nice with some fast paced movement and some very nice visuals. They also haven't gone for a childish approach to the game, instead taking the style of the comics as inspiration and it works well.

The controls are beat-em-up based as is to be expected with sword and kick style fighting moves, as well as jumps and combos. In addition you also have a full range of movement in the gaming world with the ability to grab ledges, jump between walls to reach higher areas and various other moves.

If you used to be a fan of the TMNT then you should like this game. Equally if you liked games like Tomb Raider or many of the ninja style platformers then you should like this as it is a similar gaming experience, but with a slightly more linear approach to the level structure.

Demon Cleaner
27th March 2007, 16:15
I saw it on TV yesterday at Game1, it looked very good. Not the old comic style look anymore, it was far darker than the previous releases, I'm definitely going to try it out.

Harrison
27th March 2007, 16:17
Yes, it is definitely far darker than the old comic style of the original TV cartoons or the first games. Much more serious in style too. For me it has made the game more interesting.

Demon Cleaner
27th March 2007, 16:31
I hope they added some good story to the game, so it would it make more interesting as the previous ones, which were only some beat'em all games through similar levels with a very lousy story.

It is still TMNT, but it looks more adult and could appeal to a whole lot more people than before.

Harrison
27th March 2007, 16:36
I'm now wondering how good the new film will be. If they have gone to this effort for the game, maybe the film will be better than the previous ones too.

Demon Cleaner
27th March 2007, 21:37
I'm currently downloading the game, it's only 1GB of rar files. I'll see how much it has once extracted. It's in my queue, if you want, you can d/l it.

Harrison
27th March 2007, 21:47
Thanks for the offer, but I already have it (is how I came to play it ;) ). :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
27th March 2007, 21:50
I've just played the new TMNT game on the PS2...this are the first words in this topic. But I only read the whole this afternoon, couldn't remember the words "I've just played" :lol:

Demon Cleaner
27th March 2007, 23:19
Quite impressive compression, it were 21 50GB rar files, and extracted the iso itself has almost 4.7GB.

EDIT: Yep, 50MB rar files ;-)

AlexJ
27th March 2007, 23:57
Quite impressive compression, it were 21 50GB rar files, and extracted the iso itself has almost 4.7GB.

21 50MB rar files you mean? (just over 1GB). A quarter of the size is impressive.

Harrison
28th March 2007, 00:13
I've had quite a few similarly impressive archives for PS2 games recently. I even had one that was around 600MB compressed, and a full 4.7GB DVD once extracted. Quite amazing how they manage to squeeze the files down so small. Although it probably has more to do with the original game.

Games that already use compression on the original disc to hold more won't compress as well as games that are just filling the game disc with normal uncompressed files.

Submeg
28th March 2007, 08:11
I'm now wondering how good the new film will be. If they have gone to this effort for the game, maybe the film will be better than the previous ones too.

Which movie are you referring to? I love the 1980's/early 90's version. Was excellent.

Harrison
28th March 2007, 11:27
The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie that is in cinemas now.

http://tmnt.warnerbros.com/

They have even setup a MySpace page for each of the characters! :lol:

Submeg
28th March 2007, 13:24
I thought u said one of them was cr&p...which one didnt u like?

Harrison
28th March 2007, 13:35
The films that used live actors in suits were not that great in my view.

Submeg
28th March 2007, 13:42
Oh really? I thought it was pretty funny. Mind you, I was six.

Harrison
28th March 2007, 13:45
Exactly. I saw those films at a much older age so was probably not quite as impressed. They were OK though.

Demon Cleaner
30th March 2007, 01:01
Wow, I just played they game, and I think that it is excellent. So much diversion in the gameplay. I played through 4 levels to test each character (took me about 75 minutes). Every character plays differently, and every level has some nice and interesting spots. I makes a lot of fun climbing and jumping, and it's so easy to get along with the controls.

My opinion: Brilliant instalment of the Ninjas. Two :thumbs: up.

Submeg
30th March 2007, 03:20
Sweet I'll go get it then! Cheers!

Harrison
30th March 2007, 09:23
Wow, I just played they game, and I think that it is excellent. So much diversion in the gameplay. I played through 4 levels to test each character (took me about 75 minutes). Every character plays differently, and every level has some nice and interesting spots. I makes a lot of fun climbing and jumping, and it's so easy to get along with the controls.

My opinion: Brilliant instalment of the Ninjas. Two :thumbs: up.

I thought you would like it.

It is one of those games that is hard to describe how good it is, because if you just describe the game it sounds like every other platform/beat-em-up style game. Definitely needs to be played to see why it is so good. :)

Before playing it I was worried it would just be another Film to Game cash in. So glad I was wrong and finally we are seeing games based on films that are worth playing. The developers have definitely managed to create some great arcade style gameplay without including any of the tedious stuff many other similar style games often have.

Submeg
30th March 2007, 10:09
If only it had been released here yet!! Oh well, I scored a copy of Populous on the PS instead! :thumbs:

Harrison
30th March 2007, 11:34
Released? What's that! :unsure: We just click the "download torrent" link! ;) :lol:

Demon Cleaner
30th March 2007, 12:41
We just click the "download torrent" link!:lol:
Torrents are your friend, not foe ;)

Submeg
30th March 2007, 14:21
:dry: You guys are evil. Thats right.

Evil.

:evil: