PDA

View Full Version : Disappointments

Puni/Void
22nd December 2006, 14:56
Do you guys remember how expensive original software was for the Amiga when the Amiga 500 was big? Oh man, I surely do. You had to pay quite a lot to get hold of games. A few times, if you knew what to buy, you were happy when you came home and tried out the game. Most times though, if you didn't know what to get in the store, the disappointment was huge when trying out the game. Have you guys had any experiences of that kind? I mean, spending a fortune on a game that just sucked?

Harrison
22nd December 2006, 15:06
Specific games don't come to mind at the moment, but I will add some when i remember them. But I remember this well. It was long before the internet so we didn't have a directly accessible source to look up games prior to purchase, and magazine reviews were sometimes a month behind the actual games appearing in the stores.

Most people would discover a game for the very first time in the video game stores and the only thing they had to go by to make the purchasing discission was the game box art and screenshots on the back. There were a lot of games I purchased purely on this information. It was a great experience rushing home to see what the game was actually like with an equal share of joy and disappointment depending on how lucky you were with your choice of game.

In many ways I miss this. We now know what to expect form most games before we buy them. But we can still get a similar experience from retro gaming, picking games from a rom collection that we have never played and booting ithem up for the first time, not sure of what to expect. :)

Teho
22nd December 2006, 15:12
Rise of the Robots! http://www.home.no/teho/argh.gif

I bought this game knowing nothing about it, just from seeing the screenshots in the catalouge I ordered it from. Do I even need to go on?

J T
24th December 2006, 20:56

I bought this game knowing nothing about it, just from seeing the screenshots in the catalouge I ordered it from. Do I even need to go on?

Oh, ouch. That game is famous for sucking. It's synonomous with bad game design, hype and style over substance.

I paid a fair amount for Turbo OutRun and it was a bit pony, and I was no good at it so couldn't even get far into it.

My biggest disappointment, to my eternal shame, was swapping my mint boxed Monkey Island for an unboxed copy of Walker. So Teho you need not fell alone in making a terrible decision. To this day I kick myself.

Teho
24th December 2006, 22:14
Though Walker isn't a bad game in itself, a mint Monkey Island would be worth far more. Not the best trade you could've done, have to agree with you on that. :D

Oh, ouch. That game is famous for sucking. It's synonomous with bad game design, hype and style over substance.

I tried so hard to like it too, especially the first day or two. Played it quite a bit, and got quite far into it. Made it to the second last guy, but could never beat him. But after the initial gawking at the great graphics had diminished (they really were revolutionary at the time, can't argue there), I eventually couldn't deny the truth any longer. Jesus, that game was horrible!

I paid a fair amount for Turbo OutRun and it was a bit pony, and I was no good at it so couldn't even get far into it.

Had that for the C64, I remember getting it in a compilation named Hot Wheels I think, also having Hard Drivin, Power Drift and some other game I don't recall. Turbo OutRun wasn't a bad game at all on the C64, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Had some excellent musics too. I'll have to try out the Amiga version some time, see how they compare.

Hard Drivin on the C64 on the other hand... Well, it's cool that they tried porting that to the C64. That they actually published the result is mind-boggling though. It's on the same level of suckage as Rise, only without the graphics. Worth checking out just to see how bad a game someone will still release only to try to cash in on a well-known title. The game did great in the arcades after all.

Puni/Void
26th December 2006, 19:13
Good to know that I'm not the only one that got disappointed after buying Rise of the Robots. I even got the CD32 version with a long animated intro. It looked awesome to start with, but as the rest of you say, the gameplay was horrible. Earlier this year a friend of mine and myself hooked up the CD32 and tried the game out again just for fun - I can assure you we got a good laugh, as it totally sucked. :D

And JT, that story with trading Monkey Island for a non-boxed version of Walker is sad. Hope you will find a new copy of the game sometime to replace the old one. Although, I must say that Walker was quite a cool game! Lots of action and carnage! :)

Toasty667
9th May 2007, 14:31

You did what? Oh god that's terrible! I mean that in all seriousness!:no:

Submeg
9th May 2007, 14:35
Gah!! You swapped Monkey Island?? :cry:

J T
12th May 2007, 19:43
Gah!! You swapped Monkey Island?? :cry:

Yep, we'd completed it and didn't think about it properly before swapping it, at the time I never really thought about replaying it. We did keep the copied floppies but of course it had a code-wheel. Oops.

If I could go back in time.......

Submeg
12th May 2007, 22:34
You would burn someone?Eat more cheese?