PDA

View Full Version : Got the Chaos Engine 1 and 2 now

Ghost
3rd August 2012, 00:51
Hello all,

This is most likely not a really note worthy topic but I wanted to tell people that of today I now have the Amiga 1200 versions of The Chaos Engine 1 and 2 now in my collection.

Last week while looking on Ebay I caught an auction of an affordable copy of The Chaos Engine 2 (compared to the other two auctions this one was at least reasonable priced for a somewhat rare title) and I later bought The Chaos Engine 1 on an internet retro games store to complete the set.

The Chaos Engine 2 is not as enjoyable as Chaos Engine 1 in Single Player mode but like so many games I have bought over the years I collected them for what they represent in gaming history, and of course they are nice if simple games to play.

Bitmap Brothers' games had a quality that wasn't matched by many other developers (Reflections amongst other developers from Psygnosis and Team 17 perhaps?) at the time and their games feel really 'finished'.

I can be wrong but I think The Chaos Engine 2 was also the last release from the 'golden age' so to speak but I can be wrong.
If someone can confirm or deny it it would be appreciated.

PS. I also got a new copy of Apocalypse but I also had that one before but this one is nicer.

Harrison
3rd August 2012, 00:56
You forgot to mention Sensible Software. Their titles were also some of the best on the Amiga.

Loved Chaos Engine at the time. Best played 2 player as it really adds to the enjoyment of the game. This is because the second character when computer controlled doesn't have the best Ai in the world, and often stands back and doesn't fight, gets shot to bits, or doesn't move and gets trapped by the scenery as you move away.

Ghost
3rd August 2012, 01:49
Honest mistake. Of course I meant Sensible Software as well when I brought up developers that made products that really felt 'finished'.

I am not sure if Millenium would fit the bill even though I liked James Pond 1, 2 and 3.

So Dave, what are your experienced with The Chaos Engine 2 then?
Also, do you know if the game was the last one published by the original main Amiga developers/publishers?

Harrison
3rd August 2012, 02:19
I think Chaos Engine 2 was released in 1996? That was probably the last year for the Amiga in terms of game developers still working hard on new titles. I expect they had many of them already in development so were near completion. There were loads of great game releases that year, and a fair few in '97 too. 1998 was when Amiga releases really slowed right down to a handful.

You have games like:

Alien Breed 3D II
Black Viper
Bubble and Squeak
Gloom Deluxe
Humans 3
Legends
Sensible World of Soccer '96/'97 (best version of this game)
Slam Tilt (Amazing pinball game)
The Speris Legacy
Valhalla and the Fortress of Eve
Wendetta 2175
XP8
... and more.