PDA

View Full Version : Land of Genesis; need details and photos of the CD and case

Ghost
31st July 2012, 01:12
Hello all,

I have a bit of a weird request to ask the people here but I have a good reason for asking it.
A couple of weeks ago I bought the Amiga CD game Land of Genesis for my collection on Ebay, and though the price was not high and the seller had a good reputation I can't help but still be a little suspicious if the item is genuine.

The CD case's cover and back print was of a lower state than you usually get with commercial products and I have my questions if the CD has not been burned and a copied CD print placed on it.

I could be mistaken of course as I have heard that some developers/publishers could not afford a higher standard of production but I would like to find out if that is the truth in this case.
Unfortunate I can not make any pictures as I have no camera but I doubt that photos could determine if an item is real or not.

Hope to get reactions from people

Harrison
31st July 2012, 10:49
All commercially released Amiga CDs were pressed. I don't know of any that were supplied on CD-R. If the CD isn't a commercially glass pressed CD then it is highly likely a fake. CD labels will most of the time be screenprinted onto the discs to, and would never use sticky labels.

Ghost
31st July 2012, 15:02
Crap, then I fear its a burned copy because of the CD and the questionable quality of the box print.

Harrison
31st July 2012, 20:40
Inlay card print quality isn't so easy because I've got a couple of original CD32 games where the printing and paper quality doesn't look very good, but I purchased them retail back in 1993-96 direct from the publishers, so they are genuine. It really is just the CD you can go by. The centre of a pressed CD will also always having a number/letter sequence around the inside edge of the disk on the underside, and often also a barcode etched into it too.

Ghost
1st August 2012, 16:11
Hey Dave, the CD does have a number sequence on the underside but it also reads CDR (why I didn't realize to look there eventually is beyond me) so I do fear I am dealing with a burned copy.

I wonder, this seller is overing various Amiga CD games (and I think boxed) that he claims are 'new', should I now warn you guys by putting his Ebay details here on Classic Amiga?

Tiago
1st August 2012, 16:46
Maybe he thinks it's original... and it's not. Probably he bought the game from someone else some time ago, and he doesn't know.

Ghost
1st August 2012, 19:07
The thing is, he is offering the same game now again on Ebay.UK using the same photo of the auction which I won, so I am leaning towards the game I won being a burned copy and that this may not be a single case.

Harrison
1st August 2012, 23:21
Confront him and ask. If he denies it then if you paid through PayPal launch a dispute stating he sold you counterfeit software. They will look very badly on the seller for this and will refund you your money.