PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Gold

Ghost
11th July 2012, 22:44
Hello all,

Once again I would like to question the people here, in particular Harrison about one of the Amiga games I found on the Internet while surfing around.
This time its about Foundation Gold.

I probably do not need to mention it is a Settlers clone but I am curious to know what people's opinions are about it regarding gameplay and if its worth collecting.

Harrison
12th July 2012, 01:04
Very nice game mate. As you say, it is a Settlers clone, and the Gold edition on CD came with loads of updates and extras such as more levels.

Had a great promotion during development where you could scan in a photo of yourself and send to the developers and they would add your face to one of the in game characters.

It had fairly high specs at the time, requiring a 68030 CPU or better, 8MB fast ram or more, and a CD drive.

Buleste
12th July 2012, 08:19
Works better if you have at least an 040 and a graphics card.

Harrison
12th July 2012, 10:37
This is one game I've not actually tried on my A4000 since I upgraded it to an 040 a while back. Really should give this a go on there. :)

Ghost
12th July 2012, 16:12
But do you guys think its worth collecting?
Someone is offering it on Ebay but its 25GBP and I don't know if that is to much for this game.

Buleste
13th July 2012, 08:35
I'm not sure if it's worth collecting as it's not a "classic" I would consider finding an iso and downloading it, see if you enjoy it and if you do then buy it.

Harrison
13th July 2012, 11:27
I agree. If you are considering buying any retro game, first try it in emulation via a rom or iso to see if you really like it, or think it is worth it.

£25 seems quite expensive... I'm sure you should be able to get hold of a copy much cheaper if you look about. Maybe post a Wanted advert for it on Amibay and see what people want for their copy? Also, the game was given away free on a magazine cover CD in the late 90's. I forget if it was Cu Amiga or Amiga Format. Will have a look through my cover CDs when I get chance and see.

Ghost
13th July 2012, 13:12
Hello all,

Well I don't mind paying extra for an original game but as you both also said, it is expensive and I don't know if I would like the game.
Opinions about the game are also very divided online which also made me question the purchase.

This was the sale I was looking at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOUNDATION-GOLD-EDITION-AMIGA-CD-SEALED-NEW-/320940540061?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item4ab98c009d

I would love to give it a try online but I still don't know how to run Amiga CD games on WinUAE.

Harrison
13th July 2012, 14:01
Mount the CD in WinUAE as a HDD. It will then load into Workbench fine.

However, I think foundation needed to be installed to HDD, so you will need to setup a virtual HDD in WinUAE with Workbench installed, then mount the CD as a second HDD and install it.

Ghost
13th July 2012, 14:05
I don't even have Workbench on it to be honest as I never figured out how I could install it.

Sadly I am somewhat Amiga emulation incompetent :(