PDA

View Full Version : Music Music search

Submeg
24th March 2007, 07:02
I have been going through my cds, and I have a couple cds which are mixtapes from a local DJ and I love these two cds...But I want to obtain the full songs. Can I make little sections of the songs and could people listen to them to try and help me figure it out? :cool:

Harrison
24th March 2007, 09:48
Sure. Let me know if you need somewhere to upload the music clips as you are welcome to put them on the classicamiga server.

Submeg
24th March 2007, 09:55
Cool, I just have to make the clips...should be able to do so in Wavestudio

Submeg
24th March 2007, 20:28
Hey does anyone know of some software where I can just record the music being played by my cd? I cant do it in wavestudio...not picking up the audio

Submeg
25th March 2007, 07:10
Ok, I've done it....after 6:25:35, and 48 MB later...its on the server :(

J T
25th March 2007, 12:19
....after 6:25:35, and 48 MB later...its on the server :(

Ouch, but good dedication though.

Submeg
25th March 2007, 21:37
Yea tell me about, actually I'm surprised it didnt drop out. There are a few tracks that I already know, like "For the Love of the Money" and "Sweat the Technique" but the rest I have no idea... :(

Harrison
26th March 2007, 15:01
You forgot to include a link to the file Submeg so everyone can have a listen and try to help identify the tracks.

So here is the link:

http://www.classicamiga.com/images/members_uploads/Site_Content/Submeg/Music.zip

So if you want to try and help Submeg identify the tracks you can listen to them by downloading this zip file.

AlexJ
26th March 2007, 17:05
A028 almost certainly is 'Eye Of The Tiger' but doesn't sound like the original Survivor version. I'll have a listen to some covers and see if I can find a match.

A042 is Axel F in one form or another (again it doesn't quite sound like the original Harold Faltermeyer version, but the source isn't the best quality). See it's Wikipedia page for a list of artists that have performed it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_F

A066 is Sound of Da Police by KRS-One

Teho
26th March 2007, 18:42
Couldn't really recognise any others than those AlexJ allready picked out, but I have to say the tracks 54 through 57 sounds a lot like something Snap could've made. That beat and ringing noise is almost a straight lift from The Power, but it isn't it. Could be some other Snap track though.

AlexJ
26th March 2007, 18:55
There's others I've heard in there, but can't remember the titles of the songs or the artist...

J T
26th March 2007, 21:17
A4 is also a KRS-ONE track with the wobbly "woah-yoyo" sample that features in Here comes the Hotstepper by Ini Kamoze

A5 sounds very James Brown-esque

A10 is Money - Charli Baltimore (heard that bassy hook in other records too, though)

A11 - Pick up the pieces - AWB

A12 - I swear I've heard that before, does it have the line "funkier than a mosquito's tweeter"? If so I have it *somewhere*

A17 has Sex Machine - James Brown right at the end of it.

A23 Get up - Vernon Burch

A24 has elements from Groove is in the heart by Dee-Lite (awesome track)

A32 has a elements that sound a lot like a Chemical Brothers track (like Song to the siren perhaps)

A52 has part of another Chemical Brothers track (the 'brothers gonna work it out' part) amd part of the siren sound effect in 53 is from the same track I think.

A59 has me thinking of the theme from Shaft

A66 has the slowed down part from A4 that I though sounded like a KRS-ONE track (which ties in with what AlexJ said about the following track).

Of course, bear in mind that some of the tracks have hooks that have been sampled over and over, so sometimes it is hard to know which song was the original and which 'borrowed' the sample, or if they both 'borrowed' it from someone else in the first place. I recognised many pieces of the various tracks but putting a name on it isn't so easy. Some of these tracks I have on my ipod at the moment too.

Some of that music, especially the earlier funk/soul/blaxploitation like tracks sounds pretty damn neat, I like.
I have similar tracks on a selection I downloaded called "pimp classics" which I can upload at some point, care to trade for rips of your mix CDs? I also have some "superfly soul" compilations I could whack on the FTP.

Also, have you thought about trying to get in touch with the DJ to ask him what some of the tracks are?

Hope I helped a bit, if they are wrong.... um..... tough, I suppose :p

Submeg
26th March 2007, 22:04
Ok these are the ones I already know:
*A010 - For the Love of the Money: The O'Jays
*A018 - Get On The Good Foot: James Brown
*A022 - sounds like Tom Jones: Looking Out My Window or something...
*A025 is the James Bond song....
*A028 - Eye of the Tiger: ?
*A031....I thought it was chemical brothers too, but I have all their albums, not there
*A034 - Know the Ledge: Eric B and Rakim
(A035 and A036 are from the same song)
*A042 - Axel F: Harold Faltermeyer
*A062 - I Believe In Miracles: Jackson Sisters

And this is what has been suggested:

* A4 is featured in Here comes the Hotstepper by Ini Kamoze
* A10 is Money - Charli Baltimore (heard that bassy hook in other records too, though)
* A11 - Pick up the pieces - AWB
* A23 Get up - Vernon Burch
* A24 has elements from Groove is in the heart by Dee-Lite (awesome track)
* A028 almost certainly is 'Eye Of The Tiger'
* A042 is Axel F in one form or another
* A52 has part of another Chemical Brothers track (the 'brothers gonna work it out' part) [what track is that in? thats the one I'm looking for....]
* A59 has me thinking of the theme from Shaft
* A066 is Sound of Da Police by KRS-One

Nice work there ppls. Cheers for the effort!! One of the track I really want to know is: A016! That track is sweet!! I know that its difficult to figure them out, given they are just samples....and I used my voice recorder to record these, so I'm actually surprised at the range of frequencies it was able to pick up.

Lol JT, until I get broadband its never going to work. Mind you, I have extra copies of the two cds, so I could post them to you...and as for asking the DJ's, they have moved away from Adelaide now, so no chance of that. :dry: Wish I had done so earlier.

J T
26th March 2007, 22:16
* A52 has part of another Chemical Brothers track (the 'brothers gonna work it out' part) [what track is that in? thats the one I'm looking for....]

Could be a remix by them.... a quick google suggests track one of this album perhaps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother's_Gonna_Work_It_Out

Submeg
26th March 2007, 22:19
Sweet, cheers man!

rayzorblue
27th March 2007, 14:11
OK i cant wait to have a go at this I love music how old are the mix tapes?

Oh and the chemical Brothers are a speciality of mine so if there are any on there i will probably have them.

Demon Cleaner
27th March 2007, 14:17
A005 - could be Sex Machine? (James Brown)
A028 - Definitely Eye of the Tiger (but not sure the Survivor version, perhaps live)
A042 - Axel F tune

A few of the tunes could be from older TV series, like the Shaft tune from Isaac Hayes. But definitely not my music :(

Harrison
27th March 2007, 14:18
Not my sort of music either. Definitely couldn't listen to it for long. I couldn't get any more than already mentioned. Am now off to switch AC/DC back on ;)

rayzorblue
27th March 2007, 15:03
The chemical bros track featured in A52 is Leave home it is the first track on their first album Exit planet dust (before that they were the dust bros)
The guitar hook in A59 is taken from the theme from shaft by Isaac Hayes and reminds me of a slowed down version of Know How by Young MC but not sure if it is
Gonna send it to my brother he should know more than me its not really my kinda music and the quality is appalling lol.
Oh and groove is in the heart contains a sample from Herbie Hancock's track 'Bring Down The Birds' so that could be A24.

J T
27th March 2007, 18:01
Cool, we're getting there. How about letting us know the ones you already identified, Submeg.

I really liked the sound of some of this music and am secretly kind of pleased I managed to identify a reasonable number.

I must try and find the CD with Pimp Classics on and upload it to the FTP for you guys.

Submeg
28th March 2007, 01:01
*A004 - Here comes the Hotstepper: Ini Kamoze
*A010 - For the Love of the Money: The O'Jays / Money - Charli Baltimore
*A011 - Pick up the pieces - AWB
*A023 - Get up: Vernon Burch
*A024 - Groove is in the heart: Dee-Lite
*A025 is the James Bond theme song....[what movie is this from?]
*A028 - Eye of the Tiger: ?[who is this by?]
*A031 - Song to the Siren - The Chemical Brothers (sped up a bit and combined with another track but its there...)
*(A035 and A036 are from the same song)
*A052 - Leave Home: The Chemical Brothers (I have this! Why didnt I recognise it?!! idiot!)
*A059 - Know How: Young MC (NO SH1T! I also have this, when I bought this cd, I was like I know thisfrom somewhere!IDIOT x 2!!) [I'm assuming the theme from shaft is on a movie soundtrack somewhere?]
*A066 - Sound of Da Police: KRS-One

Submeg
27th April 2007, 07:22
Just found another.... A004 is "Champ" by Breakestra
A065 is Champ mixed with KRS-ONE

Submeg
22nd November 2007, 09:21
*A004 - Here comes the Hotstepper: Ini Kamoze
*A010 - For the Love of the Money: The O'Jays / Money - Charli Baltimore
*A011 - Pick up the pieces - AWB
*A023 - Get up: Vernon Burch
*A024 - Groove is in the heart: Dee-Lite
*A025 is the James Bond theme song....[what movie is this from?]
*A028 - Eye of the Tiger: ?[who is this by?]
*A031 - Song to the Siren - The Chemical Brothers (sped up a bit and combined with another track but its there...)
*(A035 and A036 are from the same song)
*A052 - Leave Home: The Chemical Brothers (I have this! Why didnt I recognise it?!! idiot!)
*A059 - Know How: Young MC (NO SH1T! I also have this, when I bought this cd, I was like I know thisfrom somewhere!IDIOT x 2!!) [I'm assuming the theme from shaft is on a movie soundtrack somewhere?]
*A066 - Sound of Da Police: KRS-One

Found another!! A016 - All this love that Im giving: Gwen McCrae

Buleste
22nd November 2007, 09:52
I'd try help you out but i tried to download the zip file and got a 404 error. Nice Boing star.

Harrison
22nd November 2007, 10:56
There was a change of directory structure on the server since that file was originally uploaded. I've edited the link so it should work now.

Submeg
22nd November 2007, 11:02
Dont worry, Im remaking them in Audacity, seeing as the quality was so bad (at the time I had to keep em small as I had 56 k net) so now I can upload better ones. After DJing for a while I understand where the songs start and end and what different effects he has used so Im not so confused :thumbs:

Buleste
22nd November 2007, 11:49
A005 Is not Sex Machine(compare with A017 which has a lot of Sex machine on it)
A022 is Tom Jones Looking out my window
A024 is still Vernon Burch but an attempt to get the whistle that was used on Groove Is in The Heart.
A025 is not James Bond. It sounds more like from a Blacksploitation film.
A042 Is not Crazy Frog thank god.

I don't know what the rest are but i have a sudden desire to stick my fingers in a light socket so i can get a 'fro

Submeg
22nd November 2007, 21:42
Yea I worked out that 5 isnt that....but I already have a stack of James Brown, so its ok! Lol yea that stupid crazy frog :(

Submeg
23rd November 2007, 01:17
A031, was thought to be Chemical Brothers? I have found out, it is actually Mantronix - King Of the Beats mixed with Brothers Gonna Work It Out - Public Enemy....I bought this cd a while ago with Mantronix on it, made it easy :cool:

Submeg
6th January 2008, 10:51
found another, A064 - Guess Who's Back: Rakim