PDA

View Full Version : Your best gaming memories on the Amiga

Puni/Void
22nd December 2006, 14:49
What is your best and most cherished memories of gaming on the Amiga? Was it the first time you booted up The Secret of Monkey Island 1 and listened to the intro music? Was it beating the crap out of your mates in Streetfighter 2 or maybe it was being the official street champion of Kick Off 2? So, what is your best gaming memories on the Amiga?

LowercaseE
28th December 2006, 12:04
One of my best memories is playing Shufflepuck Cafe for hours and hours trying to beat all the different opponents. I also used to love having Pinball Dreams tornaments with my friends to see who could get the highest score. The whole Monkey Island experience goes without saying too.

Vangar
29th December 2006, 08:35
My most memorable time was playing Giana sisters, and seeing the red sector logo bounce over and over.

Demon Cleaner
29th December 2006, 09:23
I have a lot of best gaming memories on the amiga.

1st would be playing Elite together with my cousin all the time, and we were just amazed how huge this galaxy was, impressive (compared to nowadays).

Then of course all the Kick Off hours I spent, and seing that finally in the 3rd installment Goal!, you could also play horizontally, that was the best they could do.

And of course, with my real first girlfriend when I was sweet 18, playing Twintris all the time with her (when playing on the amiga :whistle:), and losing all the time, that drove me mad. Because of this thread, you reminded me of that, thanks PG, that's 17 years ago.

Teho
29th December 2006, 14:07
Ooh, Twintris. The best Tetris game ever made. I remember sitting with this for hours too. This is still the one I fire up whenever I feel like playing a Tetris game. :)

Let's see, best Amiga gaming moment. Probably in Frontier, doing a slingshot around a gas-giant or something. Or trying to achieve a geo-stationary orbit (never quite succeeded, but got very close). Or maybe completing Realms of Arkania, that took months. Mainly because the battles were so slow on an A500. Or perhaps completing Syndicate (which was also horribly slow on an A500).

Too many to choose from. :)

v85rawdeal
29th December 2006, 14:38
I think my fondest memory from my Amiga-heavy days was the day I picked up a PD catalogue from Softville and saw a review of a demo disk I had provided them... My claim to fame... Mind you, it wasn't a good demo, but I didn't care... It was mine... and reviewed in a catalogue... :notworthy: I was so not worthy!

J T
29th December 2006, 14:44
the first time you booted up The Secret of Monkey Island 1 and listened to the intro music?

This.

Also, playing Micro Machines in 2-player like crazy.

Harrison
2nd January 2007, 12:14
There were a lot of great gaming memories for me from the Amiga days.

The first time I played Stunt Car Racer using two linked Amigas was a great memory. And as with others here the first Monkey Island was special, as was Lure of the Temptress and Future Wars. I played all of those games right through as soon as I got them.

Lemmings is quite a special game as it was the only game that came with my first Amiga and the first game I played to death on the system and I can still remember carrying the Amiga home on the bus and I couldn't wait to set it up and switch it on. I think I much have played Lemmings the whole day. :)

Speedball 2 was another great one. The first time that intro music played and then the first time the ball launched and the madness began. And I got that game as part of the Bitmap Bros compilation which was a great package as it also contained the first Xenon and Cadaver and all of those games were played a lot.

Xenon 2 was another game that holds a lot of memories. I was a big fan of the original Xenon and had been waiting for Xenon 2 for a long time, with the magazines running preview stories for months. Finally going into town and purchasing the game was great, and the game didn't disappoint. Amazing graphics for the time and great gameplay. Everyone I knew bought it and we all used to play the game at each others houses. The organic graphics and movement of the sprites, as well as the shop window loading for the first time. All great memories.

I could go on forever with loads of great gaming memories. The first time I managed to get a game I had been waiting for for a long time. Finding some great compilations containing a selection of games I had been after for ages, the first time i opened a game box etc...

The best memories of all have to probably be Frontier: Elite 2. Opening the box and discovering all of the booklets inside, as well as the star map, then loading the game for the first time to see the fully 3D intro using the in game graphics, with the classical orchestral score, and then the actual game loading and using the interactive 3D star map for the first time and seeing the true scale of the games universe.

Ghost
17th January 2007, 02:31
Hello people,

There are probably more games but the first example that came to my mind was Cannon Fodder.
Great game.

TiredOfLife
18th January 2007, 20:35
When I developed the knack of hitting the killer shot in Sensi Soccer.
Close second, the face on my mate when I kept using it against him repeatedly.
Close third the look of joy on the rest of the lads who he had been lording it over, until I kept using the shot against him and kicking his arse.
Absolutely brilliant.
When you are tired of getting one over on your mates, you are tired of life.

Happy days.

Edwinner
1st February 2007, 19:35
Dynablaster with the 4-player adapter was brilliant! All night trying to kill each other.

Harrison
1st February 2007, 23:17
Dynablasters was brilliant. I was a big fan of the SNES Bomberman games at the time, but didn't own a SNES, so when this Amiga game came out I was so happy.

Wasn't Dynablasters also created by Hudsonsoft? I remember two games similar to bomberman appeared on the Amiga. There was one game that was official and another that wasn't and got sued.

Edwinner
2nd February 2007, 19:42
I don't know who created that game. All I know was that there was a 4-player adaptor in the package that was connected to the parallel port and allowed two extra joystick be connected to your Amiga. I think we might have played it with 5 persons and one player controlled his character by the keyboard.

J T
2nd February 2007, 21:11
Dynablasters was brilliant. I was a big fan of the SNES Bomberman games at the time, but didn't own a SNES, so when this Amiga game came out I was so happy.

Wasn't Dynablasters also created by Hudsonsoft? I remember two games similar to bomberman appeared on the Amiga. There was one game that was official and another that wasn't and got sued.

Yep, Dynablaster and Bomberman were one and the same (i had dynablaster on the old school gameboy).

There was a bomberman clone called Masterblaster that I had from an AP coverdisk. Awesome version with a great 'superman' powerup that allowed you to push soft-blocks to escape, or even better crush, an opponent.

Also the PD game atom smasher had the sprites ripped from dynablaster. They got in trouble too I believe.

Harrison
2nd February 2007, 21:40
Ah, Masterblaster. That was the one! They initially tried to release it as a commercial game but Hudsonsoft threatened to sue them, so they just released it into the public domain instead.

rayzorblue
3rd February 2007, 13:33
For me it was the moment i finally unplugged the konix speedking joystick from the c64 plugged it in the amiga booted it up for the first time and played Hostages not the best game ever but it just seemed so awesome at the time, busting through the window and popping a cap in the hostages head :evil: amazing.

Of course there are so many other good moments like finally admitting to myself that kick off was dead when sensible soccer came around, getting beat by my Dad at zany golf, the outstanding music that came with games like Xenon 2 and the hilarious animation that came up on the :pirate3: version of Ivan Ironman Stewarts super off road racer.

Magic moments that will live forever in my memory.

J T
3rd February 2007, 13:45
Yeah, I remember Hostages, borrowed that off one of my dad's mates. I got into the building but don't think I ever completed it and freed all the hostages - the game kept ending cos I kept shooting the place up...... :whistle:

rayzorblue
3rd February 2007, 13:49
Hostages AI was pretty good i thought at the time because i remember if u went around shooting the captors would kill the hostages and run for you.
I also loved the first bit of that game as well when you had to avoid the lights to get into sniping position.

v85rawdeal
3rd February 2007, 15:41
Many memories of the Amiga but some of the standout gaming moments for me include, in no particular order:

1. Parking my Boa outside a orbiting space station in Frontier, having spent loads on shielding, and letting ships just ram me as they departed, even funnier when the police vipers started streaming out to get me. :fool:

2. The first time I heard Elvira's voice in Elvira. :p

3. Seeing the beholder in Eye Of The Beholder. :eek:

4. Flying inverted under the Golden Gate Bridge at about 0 feet above sea level in F/A-18.

5. Getting hit by by my own plane after ejecting in Fighter Bomber...

Submeg
3rd February 2007, 21:35
For me:

- Winning 32 - 0 against Iceland in Sensible Soccer
- Being shot down and survivng against 80 enemy planes in Wings
- Like v85, seeing the beholder in Eye of The Beholder
- Almost throwing the joystick out the window after dying for the third consecutive time in the second to last level in Silkworm

Agram
6th March 2007, 21:23
Some personal achievements and memories...

First successful landing on the air craft carrier in F/A-18 Interceptor. Took some patience, and trepidation. And achieving a 1:1 ratio for missiles fired to bogies downed. Subsequent simulations I tried (F-29 Retaliator and Thunderhawk AH-73M) had cheats/trainers enabled, so didn't provide the same challenge.

Being awed by Shadow of the Beast 2 intro. Then many hours later realising how I wouldn't be completing the game without a cheat, and having to wait for the next publication of Amiga Format for the liberating "ten pints" cheats.

Completing Eye of the Beholder and enjoying a proper ending. No after-thought single screen of congratulatory text here. Still need to complete the game again to this day, now that I know all the "Special Quests". To see if there's an additional ending reward.

Harrison
6th March 2007, 21:35
Hi Agram and welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

Nice to see another Eye of the Beholder fan. I love that series and completed both of the Amiga games. The second was huge for sure and they were definitely games that had a lot of love and devotion put into them by their development teams. I too have considered replaying them, but I'm not sure if I would have the patience to play through the whole of both games again, especially when i have so many other games I still need to play. :lol:

Submeg
6th March 2007, 21:40
I support the Eye of the Beholder! Those were some excellent games...extremely hard and long! but still loved it, haven't played it in a while, but who knows....I might...

Harrison
6th March 2007, 23:36
The end of the first game was definitely a tense part of the game after taking so long to get there, with the final battle against the Eye of the Beholder was very hard.

Sad as it may sound I actually mapped both of these games fully on graph paper as I played and marked the locations of every item, object, door and enemy on the maps. If I still have them I may even scan them in for the site at some point.

I've just though that I never got around to playing the third PC only game in this series. I downloaded the PC game ages ago and ran it just to see it running, but never really played it. Maybe that is something I should play at some point soon. :)

Submeg
7th March 2007, 10:20
Oh really? Thats sweet, I'll need to grab that from you Harrison. Hey I have the cheats book for EoB I, so I could scan it and put it up.

J T
9th March 2007, 13:51
...extremely hard and long! but still loved it...

:blink:

First successful landing on the air craft carrier in F/A-18 Interceptor. Took some patience, and trepidation. And achieving a 1:1 ratio for missiles fired to bogies downed.

Oh man, landing on the carrier was a real bitch until you got the knack, I remember that well. Also keenly remember spending a lot of time flying under the golden gate (and trying to do it upside down as well - can't remember if I ever made it). I also did silly thing like seeing how far the plane could be driven around the map (yes, that's without actually taking off - the things kids do, eh? :) ).

F/A-18 interceptor was a cracker, I really enjoyed it. I have the manual already scanned (and a bunch of others too, form a while back) - really must get round to adding these things to the site.

Submeg
10th March 2007, 03:23
Stop bending....I mean modifying my words ;)

TiredOfLife
10th March 2007, 09:02
Loved the 1st EOB but EOBII was just pure class.

Agram
10th March 2007, 21:55
Just been replaying Eye of the Beholder, using randomly rolled character stats. It sure draws out combat for later levels. The two dwarf recruits have more HP than my created paladin and ranger.

Annoyingly I've messed up the Special Quest for level 9. Needed to block 12 flame jets with darts. I most have used too many darts to clear away blocks in SW area of level 7 :( So need to restart again, think I'll go for max stats this time to speed up the killing.

Dorec
25th August 2017, 20:19
Battle Squadron(EU) and Banshee

J T
12th September 2017, 02:13
...extremely hard and long! but still loved it...

:blink:

First successful landing on the air craft carrier in F/A-18 Interceptor. Took some patience, and trepidation. And achieving a 1:1 ratio for missiles fired to bogies downed.

Oh man, landing on the carrier was a real bitch until you got the knack, I remember that well. Also keenly remember spending a lot of time flying under the golden gate (and trying to do it upside down as well - can't remember if I ever made it). I also did silly thing like seeing how far the plane could be driven around the map (yes, that's without actually taking off - the things kids do, eh? :) ).

F/A-18 interceptor was a cracker, I really enjoyed it. I have the manual already scanned (and a bunch of others too, form a while back) - really must get round to adding these things to the site.
After re-reading this old post of mine, I have a hankering for messing about with a more modern flight simulator. Although nothing too complex, I don't have much time nowadays for ****wittery

Harrison
12th September 2017, 06:44
There are quite a few flight sims with a more unforgiving arcade style of control, but still some great graphics and gameplay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

J T
12th September 2017, 09:54
I'd like to cruise around recognisable landmarks, do some stunts and (importantly) blow some things up

Tiago
12th September 2017, 10:23
How do i never saw this post?
Best memories o Amiga?
- First game i played, Wings of Fury, trying to land, and figuring out that i had to press up, for the F4 get the hook on the carrier
- F18 - the Carrier, the brigde, omg, so many many hours!
- F1GP - completing the full season in highest difficulty. O boy those were the days. Also Betting the Estoril Circuit Record for more the 1,5s as i remember.
- i feel embarrassed on this next one: Party Games, do you remember? You had to roll the joystick to get points. Well, i just dismount a joystick, and with a friend, we played directly on the 4 switchs. 4 hands, one on each switch of the joystick. We did so many points and the score went so high that the digits on screen went into a bug situation. Some digits overlap others as i remember. :D